Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Fair enough. I really don't get your jokes at all, do I? :v:
I've made peace with it. If everybody got everybody else's jokes, the world's tapestry would be much less rich, and that would Treat me Worse than an Animal Comix.

Pooch Café

It has been at least a week in real time. That man is dead, in brain if not in body.

Ballard Street

That doesn't sound like too bad an idea, actually. Get closer to nature, feel more self-reliant, and Elliot probably loses weight puking up all that pesticide-covered grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Have a double-dose of Momma, the terrible strip that rules

I really like ineptly drawn dogs.
e: and also all the smudges showing how laboriously Mel works on it

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 8, 2014

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Flash mobs are still a thing?

Red? Rover? A little help?

Really Pants posted:

The Bus will save them for sure.

For a given definition of "save". They won't be on that particular island anymore, at the very least.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Red? Rover? A little help?

A test using two buttons that are identical to each other aside from the color has determined that users will click the orange button more frequently for no rational reason. This causes Dilbert, who considers himself a rational person, to be perturbed about the concept of human intelligence. His boss then instructs him to use the button that people will click less frequently on the site due to his own personal preferences. This is a bad decision, and it confirms Dilbert's fears about human intelligence, but he doesn't mind because he has given up on the concept of thinking as a result of the experience he describes in panel one. This is, in some way, a joke.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Pretty, Pretty Comics.

I spy atleast 2-4 potential avatars, I adore the tiny Moomin.

( A Horse, A Tree ... Ridiculous! )

SubNat fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 8, 2014

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

I don't really want to think about the sexual politics of Bloom County in enough depth to come up with a one-liner for this.

What lovely wall-paper!

Calvin And Hobbes

Another habit I picked up from C&H, to the displeasure of several teachers.

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

HUBRIS! A non-copy-pasted version of Dude and Dude?

Cull Them! selects groups of people its readers would like to see eradicated. Anyone want to pick this one up as a regular?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I've got a big head of steam to let off!

Luann

1. These idiots are frequently left in charge of a small child.

2. I realize now that Brad is calling Toni his beauty, but on first reading I thought he was referring to himself. Either way it's kind of a gross line.

3. They were totally planning to climb all up on top of each other with a small child right there in the room.

Apartment 3-G

Bolle sure has a way of depicting extreme emotional distress.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Seems like that last panel should be avatarized, but I'm not sure how it could best be accomplished, what with the hair and the hands and all.

Nah, no need to worry about it, Pete. Once Tony Stark finds out JJJ is stealing his bit, I'm sure the whole thing will sort itself out.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Julet Esqu posted:

That Maude icon is the funniest thing I've seen all day.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac sweeps the week off with a squeak.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Just going to copy most of this from the Kickstarter update, but on Wednesday, March 26th, at LA's "Cinerama Dome," that comic strip documentary STRIPPED will be having their premiere. Tickets available here. The kicker is that they'll be giving away 10 copies of the poster Bill Watterson made for them (though they haven't mentioned dimensions). Good luck to any LA-region goons who read this thread.

Here are articles on Watterson's involvement (I haven't read through them yet) at NY Times, USA Today, Washington Post (this one apparently has a short interview with Watterson), Time, NPR, Rolling Stone, Slate, The Wire, People, Buzzfeed, and Mashable.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Still Fluxing posted:

That Maude icon is the funniest thing I've seen all day.

Just blame the dear little bow in her hair for this travesty.

ALso, a Ballard Street Moose for anyone who wants it.

If anyone wants it.

Both of them have the exact same expression.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

2. I realize now that Brad is calling Toni his beauty, but on first reading I thought he was referring to himself. Either way it's kind of a gross line.

3. They were totally planning to climb all up on top of each other with a small child right there in the room.

Maybe we've been reading these wrong and we're supposed to hate these two.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Moomin question; I remember Mymble being referred to as "the Mymble" when she was first introduced. What, exactly, is the "the" for? Is "Mymble" a title or a role or something, or was it a translation thing? It seems to have gone away over time.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Roland Jones posted:

Moomin question; I remember Mymble being referred to as "the Mymble" when she was first introduced. What, exactly, is the "the" for? Is "Mymble" a title or a role or something, or was it a translation thing? It seems to have gone away over time.

Mymble is the title of the Alpha-child.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Sally Forth

I like how they forgot all about their friend they called in to save their asses, like, 3 seconds after they didn't immediately need him anymore.

Also, Sally must somehow be new to parenting if she heard a 12-year-old girl screaming "This is the worst thing ever!" and didn't immediately assume it was some trivial bullshit.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

I don't know about any translation stuff, but in all the Moomin books, a lot of people get interchangeably called the same word as their actual name, and "the ______" as a species description. You have various different Hemulens and Fillyjonks and so on, but when somebody is talking to a particular individual one, they might call them by name as "Hemulen" or "Mrs Fillyjonk." The Mymble is first described as "the Mymble's daughter" because we meet her big round multiple-baby-having mother, who is The Mymble, but then all of that family are also Mymbles, in the species sense. So the girl is variously called The Mymble's Daughter, or The Mymble, or just Mymble as a name, and there isn't much rhyme or reason to why/when she gets called any of those things.

It's one of the things I enjoy about the writing. Everybody is some sort of weird little animal but a person at the same time, and that style of naming seems to highlight that concept for me.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Blah, quoted instead of edited.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Seems like that last panel should be avatarized, but I'm not sure how it could best be accomplished, what with the hair and the hands and all.
Not really, the missing hair wouldn't be too hard to draw in (hell, if you reference older comics, you could probably find a matching angle to copy/paste in the top of his head) and the missing finger could just stay out of frame or a finger from the other hand be copy/pasted and flipped in place. If nobody else takes a shot at it (I'm sure there's plenty of people in this thread with more talent than me), I will make an avatar of it later when I have time.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
:effort:

The hands are way too far apart in the source. 125x125 pixels would make Peter even tinier than in this one.

This on the other hand is gold

tiistai fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 9, 2014

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

:ohdear:

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol has another gap in the archives! This next strip is from way later than where we were before and makes little sense as a result! enjoy!

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Nipponophile posted:

As last words go, "Really... I protest--" is up there with the best of them.

The brothers in "Modest Blaise" really remind of "Alphonse & Gaston." If, y'know, Alphonse and Gaston were murderers-for-hire, and a little more efficient.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Julet Esqu posted:

Juliet Jones

I want to strap the artist(s) on Zachary Nixon Johnson into one of those Clockwork Orange chairs and make them stare at this until they learn how to draw good action sequences.

Edit: also see, THIS is how you use loving zip-a-tone

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 9, 2014

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

When this story was posted a thread or two ago, it was one of my first exposures to the Moomins (after the Martian storyline). It kind of puts the whole story in a new light now that I know Snorkmaiden is usually off falling in love with some new man in every story and the tables are being turned here.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I still love La Goona's Horse. Look at it, it's covered in flowers and poo poo. :3:

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

This is all I could see in ZNJ

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
For all of you who're enjoying Moomin, I strongly recommend exploring Tove Jansson's other works. The Summer Book is a really lovely (and slim) book. Of course, I'm a sucker for anything with fjords.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think I realized Moomin was popular in Japan when reading the Manga Berserk.

Their trolls weren't quite as cute as the real Moomins.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

His hat really is a lampshade, isnt' it?

Also, after the Phantom turned her down, looks like the reporter swore off men entirely.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

It's going to be so great when this guy accidentally locks himself in the Phantom's closet.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, after the Phantom turned her down, looks like the reporter swore off men entirely.

When I first saw that panel, I was like "Man, the perspective there is all hosed up. It's like the reporter is some kind of giant, or the other women are pygmies... Oh, wait..."

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Christ, Gil. Ask her about coelecanths or something instead of fantasy nerd lore.

Retail

He probably expected all the creative writing majors to be working at Barnes and Noble and Starbucks instead of a department store.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

My dog also does all my math homework for me. He's like a living Wolf-ram Alpha.

Dustin

Dustin is supposed to be in the wrong here?

On the Fastrack

Dethany did one hell of a job selling a Windows phone.

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Well...that's a good point. Good for you, Dag.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Midnight Moth posted:

This is a Good Comic.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Dustin is supposed to be in the wrong here?

He is lazy, you see. This is clear proof that it's entirely Dustin's fault he still lives with his parents. Entirely unwilling to delay gratification and bootstrap his way to CEO.

(While clearly this is a sign of Dustin's poor work ethic, can you imagine Ed's reaction if he came home with a job he doesn't even get paid for? Dude cannot win.)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The Little King

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Rex is a pretty stand-up dude.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Geech could have stayed home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPsSzLnXJkg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Midnight Moth posted:

Well...that's a good point. Good for you, Dag.
Well now I feel like an rear end in a top hat for already breaking my Lent vow.

• Locked thread