Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

More like

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I'll be doing my taxes tonight before pulling the trigger. The guy called me and we chatted about the bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
So I'm picking up that baller rear end XR next week.... Best replacement for my SV!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

XYLOPAGUS posted:

So I'm picking up that baller rear end XR next week.... Best replacement for my SV!

Ha, I'm actually looking at getting an SV or similar to compliment my DRZ for those highway stints.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ha, I'm actually looking at getting an SV or similar to compliment my DRZ for those highway stints.

I'm considering keeping my SV650 just for longer highway and interstate duty. WR is fine on highways but I wouldn't want to do more than a short stint on the interstate.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a equally baller '97 FZR600R for "highway stints". It's not exactly comfortable, but I would say it makes me more of a man each time I put miles down in the three figures.

Sooooooooo I have a confession to make. A nearly new KLX250 just popped back up on MotoHouston for $2500 and I want it too. It has literally less than 1000 miles on it. This is a banging deal for anyone near the Houston area. If I hadn't been in constant communication with the awesome seller of this XR, I would just hop on this bandwagon and be done with it.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277640

Anybody here looking for a KLX? I'd be willing to help someone pick it up, or even hold it for them.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

ReelBigLizard posted:

Finally got round to fitting the new sprockets and chain I bought about 6 months ago -1 front +2 rear (15:44 instead of 16:42 stock on the UK/Aus SMC).

Wish I did it years ago, big improvement all round (would probably suck for highway but we don't have those so w/e).

So, any other thoughts after living with the 15/44 a while? I need to do more 690 madness modzzzzzz.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Unfortunately it seems that almost immediately after changing the front sprocket my countershaft seal has started to weep, currently enjoying a free (only *slightly* overzealous) chain lube every ride. I think it may have been the impact of peening the lock washer. Oh well, I don't think it's a difficult job on this bike, the sprockets are a piece of piss.

The acceleration is noticeably improved, the front wheel wants to come up more but it's completely manageable. It gives you more pull through the corners if like me you occasionally find yourself one gear higher than what would be optimal. Additionally, I've found it easier to slide the rear on the throttle in tight turns, whether this is a positive or a negative for you I don't know, but I find it hilarious. I'm sure the top speed has been markedly reduced but it would still handle the highway with ease from what I can tell.

An important note: It can be done on the same number of links as the stock chain if you wind the adjusters all the way in so if you try it and don't like it you could just replace the sprockets.

The aim for me was to put my regular "cruising" speeds 29-ish and 39-ish into a smoother, more comfortable part of the rev range. For this purpose it has worked brilliantly and my commute is smoother and generally more enjoyable.

tl/dr:
A+++++ DONGING HARDER THAN EVER. WOULD DONG AGAIN

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Those with the WR250X, how far off is your speedometer? I have a feeling mine is reading 12-15 higher than actual speed and haven't played with a GPS yet but today following traffic through a usually slow 55 zone it was reading 70+.

Now I really wonder what speed I was going when the cop was behind me the other day.

Good Ship Theseus
Sep 12, 2010

Immortality through endless server backups? Sign me up!
Before I got a bigger sprocket and a speedo-healer, I reckon the speedo was at least 10kph over once you got up to speed. I hope that helps. Also, get a speedo-healer.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Welp, I went out in really nasty weather today to meet someone who said he was interested in buying my bike. He just sort of kicked the tires, and told me he was interested.

I need someone to buy it so that I can go buy a newer bike to take to the CoTA track day I may have signed up for. :v:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

NitroSpazzz posted:

Those with the WR250X, how far off is your speedometer? I have a feeling mine is reading 12-15 higher than actual speed and haven't played with a GPS yet but today following traffic through a usually slow 55 zone it was reading 70+.

Now I really wonder what speed I was going when the cop was behind me the other day.

I just consider my speedo as accurate as the tach.

But yeah, speedo healer is definitely on my list of things to do this year.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Why do speedometers show incorrect speeds? You know the wheel radius and the number of revolutions over a period of time, why wouldn't it be perfect?

Small differences in radius between bikes where all else is identical?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Small differences in radius based on tires do contribute, but I think all the manufacturers make their speedos optimistic in some misguided attempt at discouraging speeding, much like the 85 mph speedos of the 80's

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
85MPH speedos weren't a manufacturer idea, they were a stupid Carter administration law.

That being said a speedo that reads high instead of low probably does shield the manufacturer from liability in some cases, so that's the way they err.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
The US doesn't regulate motorcycle speedos at all beyond some display requirements if one is provided, but the EU does, and they basically mandate the speedo reads high. So any international model is probably going to conform to their standards.

In order to pass their requirements the test model, on the OEM spec tires, etc. must not read low, and may read as much as 10% high, +4 km/h.
Production models tested later on for conformity are allowed to read +10% +8 km/h.

So, they get reasonably close under laboratory test conditions with all OEM equipment, then spin it up a bit extra to account for non-oem tire brands, tread wear, over/underinflation, rider weight, leaning over, etc., so that riders can't get speeding tickets for the gauge reading too low. It also makes the speedo worthless beyond an order of magnitude estimation so keep your eyes on it less and on the road more, and learn how to fight speeding tickets because you're going to get profiled and targeted just for riding anyway and you genuinely and sincerely have no idea how fast you're actually going.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I can't decide between Distanzias and Pilot Power 2CTs. I guess it will probably come down to price in the end.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What type of riding?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Mostly street, but I know people with private trails/land and I enjoy dicking around on dirt. I also haven't find a clear answer as to the tread life of the SM compound Distanzias compared to the 2CTS.

Edit: I guess there's the Contis too.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 11, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd take the 2cts...unlikely to run into situations where the distanzias will be better but you will appreciate the hell out of the PPs on the street.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Go for the michelins, IMO. Great street life, good in dry dirt. Mud will overwhelm both the pilots and the avons

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I'll add another vote for 2ct's or other street tire. I had Distanzias on my DRZ years ago and while fine for trails/yard/hardpack they are junk in mud or sand...the same can be said for the 2CT or most general purpose street tire.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Got to sit on my first DRZ400SM over the weekend at the dealer, I took my son (2.5 years old) there and he had a blast. I was happy that I felt comfortable on the bike despite being on my tippy toes.

It's about time for Suzuki to update the platform and give us a reliable 450 with FI and 6 spds.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dreesemonkey posted:

It's about time for Suzuki to update the platform and give us a reliable 450 with FI and 6 spds.

Dont hold your breath.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
There's no incentive for them to build up a new motor. The 450 MX motors are great I'm sure but they wear out quickly. Detuning one to the point of reliability probably ends up with it being slightly above DRZ power but still would have increased maintenance costs / intervals. It'd be lighter sure but there' something to be said for the DRZ motor remaining pretty much unrefined since the start of this century. It serves its purpose. The fact that they still sell them new is kind of ridiculous. You are 110% better off buying one used.

There aren't many people buying these things new anyway. No reason to dump a bunch of money into R&D on a new bike if there's no return on their investment. Maybe if they went all out and started a new supermoto craze sure but I don't see that happening now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The DRZ in S form is still a good seller around the world. Until there is a significant case for redesigning that, they wont do it. The SM is an afterthought, as its a niche bike using 95% of the S parts.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So 120/70 and 160/60 for the 2CT sizes? Also any magical brake pads? Otherwise I'll just buy OEM I guess. I was gonna get a stainless line too but there's a million brands so I'll probably just order one from wherever I get the pads.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Those are the right tire sizes for Michelins. They generally dont rub from what I've seen at a 160 rear. My Pilot power doesnt anyway.

I wouldnt say there are any magical brake pads. A ton of bikes used that same caliper, so there are a billion options out there for it. I have OEM Yamaha pads from an 05 YZ450F on my DRZ right now.

Braided lines, the only thing you have to watch is that they come with the rigid tubing that holds the line straight as it runs along the forks. Without that you're screwed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you can get a 150 rear it will fit better.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
FYI I picked up that XR. Holy poo poo it's fun.

I got pulled over literally 30 seconds after getting on the bike for a test ride. The cop was a total rear end in a top hat even though I have an immaculate record. Threatened to tow the bike for no insurance on a test ride with the owner across the drat Street. He also claimed he could "hear me" going 55 under the overpass. His ear KNEW. I was in 2nd gear and I wasn't even getting on it. If he had approached the situation purely from a "hey xylo your bike is super loud" it wouldn't have been a big deal because I agree that pipe is way too loud...

Ended up with a speeding warning and a loud beik warning.

I tried taking it to work and I couldn't get the thing to start yesterday morning. Might have fouled the plug. Any hints on Kickstarting a pumper carb 400? This bike is going to make me a man. Haha

Tldr supermoto lyfe

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I always whack the throttle open a couple times with the FCR on the DRZ before I hit the starter to give it a couple AP shots. I don't know if that's proper procedure but it works good for me when everything's cold.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Push it through it's stroke until you hit compression and it wants to stop, get it just barely past that, and then give it a smooth, quick shove through. You don't want to stab at it, you want to really carry through, the more inertia and momentum you get kick starting it, the better it compresses the fuel and starts.

Also if it's a total rear end in a top hat to start, the carbs are probably mildly clogged.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Yerok posted:

I always whack the throttle open a couple times with the FCR on the DRZ before I hit the starter to give it a couple AP shots. I don't know if that's proper procedure but it works good for me when everything's cold.

Don't do this. At most one pump, but if you have an AP you're going to flood the bike.

Open the choke if its cold (I've never used the hot start thing on my carb). Spin the engine to TDC, pull in the manual decomp slightly, push just past TDC, bring the kick starter all the way up and kick through like Zen said.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Those are the right tire sizes for Michelins. They generally dont rub from what I've seen at a 160 rear. My Pilot power doesnt anyway.

I wouldnt say there are any magical brake pads. A ton of bikes used that same caliper, so there are a billion options out there for it. I have OEM Yamaha pads from an 05 YZ450F on my DRZ right now.

Braided lines, the only thing you have to watch is that they come with the rigid tubing that holds the line straight as it runs along the forks. Without that you're screwed.

I think I'm just gonna order one from HEL because I can get it for $50 direct from them with all the fittings and I can get it in a hilarious color.

APikeyReaction
Apr 13, 2007

Snowmobile ho’s on a cocaine mountain... Makin’ so much dough, better call my account’n!
What's the general thought around here about a KTM 950 supermoto?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They are only supermotos in name, much like the Duc Hypermoto and wont really be able to do many of the same things that a regular SM can.

I have no input on whether or not its actually a good bike.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Z3n posted:

Push it through it's stroke until you hit compression and it wants to stop, get it just barely past that, and then give it a smooth, quick shove through. You don't want to stab at it, you want to really carry through, the more inertia and momentum you get kick starting it, the better it compresses the fuel and starts.

Also if it's a total rear end in a top hat to start, the carbs are probably mildly clogged.

It was warmer this afternoon and it started no complaints at all on the third kick. I took the previous owners advice (move the lever all the way down slowly then bring up, pause just before compression and kick). The key this time was to put my body into it and not try to just use my leg.

Rode it around quite a bit. The handling is nuts! All I need are some levers for my tiny hands and I should be golden. Now to find some used motocross gear.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

It was warmer this afternoon and it started no complaints at all on the third kick. I took the previous owners advice (move the lever all the way down slowly then bring up, pause just before compression and kick). The key this time was to put my body into it and not try to just use my leg.

Rode it around quite a bit. The handling is nuts! All I need are some levers for my tiny hands and I should be golden. Now to find some used motocross gear.

If you want I have some Zeta levers from my first DRZ that may fit that I would sell. Both are shorty style so they fit inside hand guards. I'd be surprised if the DRZ and XR perches are much different.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

APikeyReaction posted:

What's the general thought around here about a KTM 950 supermoto?

I rode a 990 R - great bike, just not a supermoto, more of a long travel standard.

Don't wear motocross gear on a sumo, wear full leathers. A motocross helmet is ok but asphalt hurts if you fall on it on a sumo or a sportbike and you'll do a lot more dumb poo poo on the sumo.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

What should a barely used, late model WR250x go for? I found such an example but the guy wants almost 5k for it. I found a well modded 08 with 15k for $3k but I was too slow on my offer, the ad was up less than a day. I am tempted to hold out until another shows up for 3k but they don't seem to pop up too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

3-4k depending on the seller, mods, and condition. 5k is getting into the pricing dead spot between the drz/wr/610 and the 690.

• Locked thread