Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

life is killing me posted:

There's also the whole deal with Ivar, I'd like to see their take on the "boneless" part. No one is really sure why he was called "the Boneless," so I want to see which theory they'd go with.

At least insofar as many of the characters having been real or based on real people, I think they are doing a good job with the history and mixing it with the creative license.

Yeah, I think they're doing a good job with mixing "fact" and fiction. I mean 90% of what we know about any of these people is likely exaggerated to hell and back, and Ragnar himself may be a composite of as many as five different people, so it really doesn't have much of an obligation to maintaining absolute historicity anyways. Mostly it's just minor stuff like streamlining family trees (skipping Ragnar's second wife, divvying up his children differently, etc.) and fudging the years on a few minor characters. Which is the kind of thing the sagas were doing in the first place, so I'm not going to complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Yeah, I think they're doing a good job with mixing "fact" and fiction. I mean 90% of what we know about any of these people is likely exaggerated to hell and back, and Ragnar himself may be a composite of as many as five different people, so it really doesn't have much of an obligation to maintaining absolute historicity anyways. Mostly it's just minor stuff like streamlining family trees (skipping Ragnar's second wife, divvying up his children differently, etc.) and fudging the years on a few minor characters. Which is the kind of thing the sagas were doing in the first place, so I'm not going to complain.

The only other thing is making them Northmen in the show, which to me is more like Norway and Sweden. As far as I knew, or thought I knew anyway, Ivar the Boneless and Ubba were supposed to be Danes. Ubba does head the Great Heathen Army with Ivar later on, and they go deep into Wessex where Ubba is killed at the Battle of Cynuit, and I forget how Ivar eventually dies, but he supposedly has a son also called Ivar as well, who was equally badass. I also thought there were supposed to be Vikings in Ireland that were constantly using the coast there as a staging point for raids into Essex and Wessex and as far up as Northumbria. That's all conjecture in the end since we don't really know. At least I don't, not for sure.

But you're right, we know little about the Vikings other than what we can get from the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle and the Viking sagas, the latter of which we know is 90% bullshit they made up, knowing they were bullshit.

edit: It'd also be cool, if they even continue the series with Ivar and Ubba, if they theory they go with for Ivar's nom de guerre is the brittle bone disease, making him even more badass, since, you know, ain't no easily breaking bones gonna hold his rear end down.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 8, 2014

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

The only other thing is making them Northmen in the show, which to me is more like Norway and Sweden. As far as I knew, or thought I knew anyway, Ivar the Boneless and Ubba were supposed to be Danes. Ubba does head the Great Heathen Army with Ivar later on, and they go deep into Wessex where Ubba is killed at the Battle of Cynuit, and I forget how Ivar eventually dies, but he supposedly has a son also called Ivar as well, who was equally badass. I also thought there were supposed to be Vikings in Ireland that were constantly using the coast there as a staging point for raids into Essex and Wessex and as far up as Northumbria. That's all conjecture in the end since we don't really know. At least I don't, not for sure.

But you're right, we know little about the Vikings other than what we can get from the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle and the Viking sagas, the latter of which we know is 90% bullshit they made up, knowing they were bullshit.

edit: It'd also be cool, if they even continue the series with Ivar and Ubba, if they theory they go with for Ivar's nom de guerre is the brittle bone disease, making him even more badass, since, you know, ain't no easily breaking bones gonna hold his rear end down.

I don't know I think it would be cool if he was a contortionist.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

From what I remember, Sigurd doesn't end up being all that important except in terms of lineage. Bjorn is a total badass though. There's a part in the Tales of Ragnar's Sons where he can't break through the city walls at Luna, and tricks them by having a messenger tell the city's clerics that he died and had a deathbed confession, so he wanted to be buried on hallowed ground. They bring his coffin in and right as they get to the church Bjorn, still very much alive, jumps out of the coffin, hacks everyone apart, and opens the gates from the inside to let his men in.

I'm also curious to see what direction they go in with Ivar, since there's literally like a dozen different theories on his sobriquet.

Sigurd marries the daughter of King Aella of Northumbria so there is room for family drama there. He was also King of Denmark and one of his descendants was Cnut the Great who conquered all of England and was "King of all England and Denmark and the Norwegians and of some of the Swedes".

Zero One fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 8, 2014

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Mostly it's just minor stuff like streamlining family trees (skipping Ragnar's second wife, divvying up his children differently, etc.) and fudging the years on a few minor characters

I wanted to get upset when I saw the dreaded 'four years later' between S1 and 2 but then it made sense when Ragnar talked about replenishing young people lost in the plague.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

No More Heroes posted:

I wanted to get upset when I saw the dreaded 'four years later' between S1 and 2 but then it made sense when Ragnar talked about replenishing young people lost in the plague.

Easy to forget that a lot more can happen in four years than four weeks or four months. What could Ragnar and his merry men possibly do in four weeks or months that could be as interesting as what they could do after they've prepared for four years?

Four weeks later: On this week's episode, Ragnar drinks and feasts in his hall and tries to convince Aslaug to do a threesome with a slave girl; Rollo broods and scowls, hating himself, and later decides to redo his hair with his bangs covering one eye and begins to deliberately hurt himself while muttering, "no one underSTANDS me" and sobbing; Lagertha rides in a wagon with Bjorn; Floki gets a few more planks added to the first ship of many more to come.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Four weeks later: On this week's episode, Ragnar drinks and feasts in his hall and tries to convince Aslaug to do a threesome with a slave girl; Rollo broods and scowls, hating himself, and later decides to redo his hair with his bangs covering one eye and begins to deliberately hurt himself while muttering, "no one underSTANDS me" and sobbing; Lagertha rides in a wagon with Bjorn; Floki gets a few more planks added to the first ship of many more to come.

I'd still watch that show though. Next week, Floki wanders in the forest looking for a suitable tree for the mast of boat #3. Ragnar spends his evenings talking to a goat, which makes Aslaug extremely jealous. Meanwhile Siggy is still in the show for some reason, doing nothing interesting.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Double Bill posted:

I'd still watch that show though. Next week, Floki wanders in the forest looking for a suitable tree for the mast of boat #3. Ragnar spends his evenings talking to a goat, which makes Aslaug extremely jealous. Meanwhile Siggy is still in the show for some reason, doing nothing interesting.

Siggy is there to 1. randomly bone visiting dudes, because somehow that is how you convince a person you're trustworthy. 2. suck up to Auslaug and then transparently talk her into interceding on Rollo's behalf.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Speaking of Siggy and the time jump, what the gently caress was Siggy doing for four years? Are we really suppose to believe she just sort of stuck around living an invisible life while Rollo was an alcoholic for FOUR YEARS? They write her character as someone who doesn't waste time seeking out and taking advantage of opportunities, so why would she essentially stay in limbo for four years? Feels like lazy writing, to be honest.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

hypersleep posted:

Speaking of Siggy and the time jump, what the gently caress was Siggy doing for four years? Are we really suppose to believe she just sort of stuck around living an invisible life while Rollo was an alcoholic for FOUR YEARS? They write her character as someone who doesn't waste time seeking out and taking advantage of opportunities, so why would she essentially stay in limbo for four years? Feels like lazy writing, to be honest.

Probably waging a daily battle with Rollo about being a bum while trying to find opportunities to advance her own position- which requires a man.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I imagine at this point that Floki is more of a manager than anything else. He probably works directly on Ragnar's ship because 1) Ragnar's riding in it and 2) so is Floki. But more walking around the wood directing other guys which trees to cut down and inspecting finished parts going into ships.

Wasn't Floki holding a baby in one scene too?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

No More Heroes posted:

Probably waging a daily battle with Rollo about being a bum while trying to find opportunities to advance her own position- which requires a man.

It just seems weird that she'd still be hanging around Rollo instead of hooking up with a higher status dude at the first opportunity. I guess you could assume she has no other options in Kattegat and needs someone to support her (although how Rollo supports himself is another question, never mind supporting Siggy too).

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

hypersleep posted:

It just seems weird that she'd still be hanging around Rollo instead of hooking up with a higher status dude at the first opportunity. I guess you could assume she has no other options in Kattegat and needs someone to support her (although how Rollo supports himself is another question, never mind supporting Siggy too).

She was packing up chests of goods/treasure right after Haraldson was killed so she probably has earls wealth squared away somewheres. Rollo probably mooches off of her. She needs him because a single woman in that kind of society is nothing and is actually in a degree of danger. He just needs her for poon and drinking money :v:

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Gildiss posted:

I expected that fight to be a cliffhanger. Spotted a goony as gently caress viking too!

I remember someone mentioning that there was a casting call for S2 extras in his area, and to maybe be on the lookout for a goony viking...

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HenessyHero posted:

I remember someone mentioning that there was a casting call for S2 extras in his area, and to maybe be on the lookout for a goony viking...

Cnut of the Bearded Necks

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Gildiss posted:

Hahahahahahaha

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Well somebody has to carry all the loot.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Well somebody has to carry all the loot.

Can't trust him to carry food, though...

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I love the break-neck speed this show moves at. When they say they're planning on doing something, it happens that episode or the next. Nothing gets dragged out. It's great. The short-seasons are working really well.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

hypersleep posted:

She was not well liked to begin with, and being associated with the person who betrayed Ragnar probably meant she was laying pretty low in general.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

She was not well liked to begin with, and being associated with the person who betrayed Ragnar probably meant she was laying pretty low in general.

Yeah frankly, she was a conniving oval office in the first place. Still is.

I thought about this earlier today--I wonder if the writers were thinking about the fact that even after her husband is killing by Ragnar, she continues to gently caress Rollo, now the brother of the new earl. She's not exactly liked, but she is allying herself with the man closest to Ragnar, and I feel like that wasn't by accident. I don't think it was some organic progression that just sort of happened as a result of the rest of the plot; I feel like there is a purpose to her character, even if it is yet to be revealed. I mean, intrinsically, there's no real purpose to her just loving Rollo, if she wasn't the wife of the late earl. Rollo could be loving anyone, yet the writers made sure he had steady pussy in the form of Siggy. It wouldn't stand on its own, and they would have killed her off if she wasn't going to be an important part of the plot at some point in time.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 9, 2014

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Yeah frankly, she was a conniving oval office in the first place. Still is.

I thought about this earlier today--I wonder if the writers were thinking about the fact that even after her husband is killing by Ragnar, she continues to gently caress Rollo, now the brother of the new earl. She's not exactly liked, but she is allying herself with the man closest to Ragnar, and I feel like that wasn't by accident. I don't think it was some organic progression that just sort of happened as a result of the rest of the plot; I feel like there is a purpose to her character, even if it is yet to be revealed. I mean, intrinsically, there's no real purpose to her just loving Rollo, if she wasn't the wife of the late earl. Rollo could be loving anyone, yet the writers made sure he had steady pussy in the form of Siggy. It wouldn't stand on its own, and they would have killed her off if she wasn't going to be an important part of the plot at some point in time.

Was it confirmed or just a theory that Rollo is meant to be the Rollo that founds Normandy, even though in real history he was not contemporaneous with Ragnar? It makes Siggy's continuing existence make more sense to me if so.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Ha! Ragnar, still playing with baby goats.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Was it confirmed or just a theory that Rollo is meant to be the Rollo that founds Normandy, even though in real history he was not contemporaneous with Ragnar? It makes Siggy's continuing existence make more sense to me if so.

Being baptized as Robert seemed like a pretty major yes to the idea that he's that Rollo.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

What a great start to the season so far - it feels like there are so many things happening in each episode and it's awesome. The storm sequence and the battle in the woods were both great.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Gildiss posted:

Please inform Jarl Borg of my decision for there to be drama.

Basically this. Talk about passive aggressive.

PS Siggy a ho.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

10 Beers posted:

Ha! Ragnar, still playing with baby goats.

I caught part of an interview with Katheryn Winnick and George Blagden (red carpet maybe?) that said they tried to prank Travis Fimmel by putting goats in his trailer. Since Fimmel is (quoting directly) "such a farmer" he went OH COOL I GOT GOATS :haw: and just kind of chilled with them instead of getting surprised/upset/whatever. So gonna accept that as why Ragnar is always on screen with his lamb friends.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
I actually ran into someone holding a pygmy goat the other day at a coffee house, I didn't even realize people kept them as legit pets, it was on a leash and everything. Then again I'm in Austin so you see all sorts of crazy poo poo here. I'll admit this drat show had me considering it for a second, though.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Gildiss posted:

I can't stop laughing when i look at it, it just starts up again.

Maksamakkara
Jan 22, 2006
After these two episodes this new season feels even better than the first. What are people's opinion here about the other stuff that Michael Hirst has created? I'm mainly interested about Tudors as afaik Borgia is only produced by Hirst not created. Netflix seems to have Tudors, so if I get a good word from you, it will be next on my watch list for sure.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Tudors was OK. Though the quality waxes and vanes a lot depending on which characters have the focus (and since it's Henry VIII you know that the mortality rate in the show is equivalent to Syria). But it's definitely worth watching IMHO if you are interested in historical shows.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Tudors is good and comparable to this show. The costuming and detail is fantastic, even if it's not always historically correct (similarly to Vikings). The lead is very good, and the historical events are interesting. It's less action packed and a bit more romance-orienced, though at times it does feature things like :nms: a red hot iron bar shoved into a dude's anus :gonk:

Maksamakkara
Jan 22, 2006
Thanks guys! Anything to do about historical tv shows interests me so it is a good to know tudors is a good show.If you tudordudes have not already seen http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Queen_(TV_series) , i recommend that you watch itasap. It is set in war of the roses, so it is a pretty good 'prequel' to Tudors.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Isn't Bjorn the future King of Sweden?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Erghh posted:

I caught part of an interview with Katheryn Winnick and George Blagden (red carpet maybe?) that said they tried to prank Travis Fimmel by putting goats in his trailer. Since Fimmel is (quoting directly) "such a farmer" he went OH COOL I GOT GOATS :haw: and just kind of chilled with them instead of getting surprised/upset/whatever. So gonna accept that as why Ragnar is always on screen with his lamb friends.

He was raised on an Australian cattle farm after all.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Northmen or Norsemen (or the latin Normanni) most often means Danes or Norwegians, though it can mean anyone from Scandinavia. In the Anglo-Saxon Chronnicle, the Frankish Chronicle and in Dudo's Libri III de moribus et actis primorum Normanniae ducum. Northmen almost exclusively referes to Danes. Dudo particularly will point out when he also talk about Norwegian people, since his story is about the Danes who colonized Normandy.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I didn't like the Tudors or the Borgias as much as this show. Borgias was constantly guilty of really hamfisted exposition- yeah the Pope is going to explain the political layout of Italy to his mistress while having sex with her (even though she's a well educated Italian). It would be like if in House of Cards Kevin Spacey explained what Texas is to his wife. Though I have only watched the first seasons of both so maybe they improve.

Back to Vikings- another good episode. Although when the gently caress is Ivar the Boneless going to make an appearance? Why have Ubbe "doesn't have a cool nickname" Ragnarsson introduced first? At least we get Sigurd Snake in the Eye I suppose.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Arglebargle III posted:

Isn't Bjorn the future King of Sweden?

Why would it be spoilers if it's history. Is history a source for spoilers now? Honest question.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

nutranurse posted:

Why would it be spoilers if it's history. Is history a source for spoilers now? Honest question.

I don't know if the rules officially call for spoiler tags for thousand plus year old Viking sagas but I've been spoiler tagging stuff like Ragnar dies in the snake pit just to be nice. Although I don't understand how anyone could like this show enough to post about it and not find themselves looking up Ragnar and his sons on wikipedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Well if that history directly spoils what's likely to happen on the show (not that that spoiler does), then yes. I mean, it's still a spoiler for the TV show that we're watching, and not everyone is a history buff or have in depth knowledge of Norse mythology.

e: It's like spoilers for anything else that's at least roughly based on history like Boardwalk Empire or Spartacus. Everyone knows the general history of Al Capone or the slave rebellion, but it's still spoiling people on the show to tell them specifically what happens to certain characters or how they die.

VDay fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 10, 2014

• Locked thread