Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

bhsman posted:

I feel even more confused. :(

Condensing that mess of run on sentences:

Wizards are bad at Greek.

This is sort of OK because they're not quite writing Greek. On account of them somewhat understanding that they're bad at it.

They should still be clearer about them not quite writing Greek, because they are really bad at it and not owning up encourages people to try to apply rules which they don't want applying.

If you'd like to pronounce the 'Nyk' of Nykthos roughly Ancient Greekly, the y is a bit further back in the throat than you'd naturally pronounce 'Nyk' in English. (Explaining the 'thos' part would make this post long and confusing again so I won't.)

The Wizards pronunciation for Polukranos is the one that upsets BaronVonVaderham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

For what it's worth I love your posts even if I only understood half of them and I would enjoy seeing you make more posts.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

All I know is that I, like the Greeks, enjoy turning dudes sideways. :v:

(for real though I like the language chat.)

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
All the people that hate when people put lands up front creatures in the back come yell at LSV.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I was just coming to post about that. Does he always do that? The best, most ultimate troll.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I wasn't paying enough attention, how did Shahar cast Obliterator just now when one of his 4 lands was a forest? Don't think he had Urborg out.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Boco_T posted:

I was just coming to post about that. Does he always do that? The best, most ultimate troll.

OG style son. :colbert:
It's probably the way he played when he was younger.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I wasn't paying enough attention, how did Shahar cast Obliterator just now when one of his 4 lands was a forest? Don't think he had Urborg out.

I think he used Twilight Mire or whatever the GB Filterland is called, so he could get the BB.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Battle of Wits deck update: 716 Murray, Matthew 38.66% - after 5 rounds. (2-2-1)

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

C-Euro posted:

What kinds of packs are the best EV these days? Winning a couple at my EDH melee and not really looking for anything in particular, plus I don't come here enough to bother with store credit.

Apparently RTR is the way to go.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Korak posted:

All the people that hate when people put lands up front creatures in the back come yell at LSV.

I can't be mad at LSV.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Out of curiosity are there any online sites that act as a "middleman" for trading real cards? Thinking it would be a neat concept if not. Two people could mail cards to a neutral third party and pay some sort of transaction fee, then the site facilitates the trade. I've also seen forums do it ie. 2 people send items to a moderator and moderator handles the trade for them. Haven't seen anything like this for MTG though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Latest EDH grand melee update: Got to live the dream of having Heroes' Podium in play with ten legendaries, with the Avacyn/Sigarda semi-lock and having just topdecked Iona to name blue and hold off bounce, and a turn away from KO-ing this one guy who always cleans these events out.

Then no one else had planeswalker destruction and he ultimate'd Karn on his turn, with his own Kozilek exiled under it :negative: This loving game/format

Death Bot posted:

Apparently RTR is the way to go.

Got THS before seeing this post, but cracked a Downfall and an Elspeth emblem in the same pack though, so once again I make my money back on these events :toot:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

morning wood posted:

Out of curiosity are there any online sites that act as a "middleman" for trading real cards? Thinking it would be a neat concept if not. Two people could mail cards to a neutral third party and pay some sort of transaction fee, then the site facilitates the trade. I've also seen forums do it ie. 2 people send items to a moderator and moderator handles the trade for them. Haven't seen anything like this for MTG though.
What does this do other than add a week to the trade time? There are basically two kinds of online trading status: no reputation and existing reputation. If you use Deckbox and have no rep, you mail first to someone with a positive rep. Both positive, mail simultaneous. Both no rep, probably just simul-mailing, but with low value. Either way the end result is that people that are trustworthy are able to built the rep they deserve.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Boco_T posted:

What does this do other than add a week to the trade time? There are basically two kinds of online trading status: no reputation and existing reputation. If you use Deckbox and have no rep, you mail first to someone with a positive rep. Both positive, mail simultaneous. Both no rep, probably just simul-mailing, but with low value. Either way the end result is that people that are trustworthy are able to built the rep they deserve.

Deckbox is neat I've never seen that site. I get what you are saying about added time, but I've seen so many people get screwed on forums it makes me nervous.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Every time I see someone playing storm, it really makes me want to play storm.

But modern is too expensive right now :(

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Wizards are bad at Greek.

This is sort of OK because they're not quite writing Greek. On account of them somewhat understanding that they're bad at it.

I got that much; I guess my point is that I'm unfamiliar with the following term:

quote:

If you'd like to pronounce the 'Nyk' of Nykthos roughly Ancient Greekly, the y is a bit further back in the throat than you'd naturally pronounce 'Nyk' in English.

What does 'back in the throat than' mean? That turn 'nik' (with a 'high' i) into 'neeq'or something else? Maybe I'm not asking the correct way...

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
There's also Pucatrade where you send cards to people and get points, then you order cards with your points so you are essentially trading with the cloud. But that one it's always really hard to find people to send to, especially if you can't sit around refreshing all day and only have newer cards. The sending of cards is always "whoever sees it first and clicks on it."

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cactrot posted:

You could play the version without fetches but it's probably not a good idea. That said I made said deck for my amusement. I considered the KCI Eggs list, but gently caress Eggs.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Yay, we are gonna get to see Reuben Bresler's Wacky ANT Deck next!

Guess not, apparently the match was over too quick :c

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

I just love how wrong Hunt was when he said Jund eventually becomes the best deck in every format. Maybe mostly Modern and Extended, along with Thragtusk being in Standard, but that's it. It is good in Legacy, but I don't think it's THE BEST DECK.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
LSV can play with his cards however the gently caress he wants to, he is the man

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Cactrot posted:

I only recently put together Storm myself (minus the fetches) and I found it was quite cheap to throw together. Practically everything in the deck is either a >$2.00 common or is a recently rotated out rare. Serum Visions/Steam Vents are honestly the most expensive cards in the deck, I think.

EDIT: Oh, Pyromancer Ascension is apparently :10bux: now. I traded my set for a foil Eternal Witness back then Modern Masters was first released.

EDIT 2:

kirtar posted:

What kind of mana base are you using? I'm running 4 reef, 4 vents, 2 sulfur falls, 6 basics.
Mine is 4 Vents, 3 Reef, 1 Sulfur Falls and a 6/2 split between Islands and Mountains.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 9, 2014

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

TheTofuShop posted:

Yay, we are gonna get to see Reuben Bresler's Wacky ANT Deck next!

Guess not, apparently the match was over too quick :c

I fully expect it to be on camera next round.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

an_mutt posted:

I only recently put together Storm myself (minus the fetches) and I found it was quite cheap to throw together. Practically everything in the deck is either a common or is a recently rotated out rare. Serum Visions/Steam Vents are honestly the most expensive cards in the deck, I think.

EDIT: Oh, Pyromancer Ascension is apparently :10bux: now. I traded my set for a foil Eternal Witness back then Modern Masters was first released.

Ascension and Past in Flames went up a bit after the PT. Past in Flames is also oddly expensive on MTGO ($20 last time I checked). Other than that yeah, Serum Visions and Steam Vents are the most expensive cards once you get past fetches and the rare/mythic engines.

What kind of mana base are you using? I'm running 4 reef, 4 vents, 2 sulfur falls, 6 basics.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Chapin seems to be a bit on the goofy side today during this coverage --- he started talking about Diablo at one point, dropped some lyrics from Master P's "Make 'em say Uhh!" and also just started waving his hands around wildly while making faces when talking about the T3 win for Melira Pod.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I went 4-1 and dropped. I was playing well but was tired and hungry, just didn't want to do what I did in DC and finally lose out in round 9 and just be too tired to do anything Sunday.

Tarmo-Twin is so good even a retard like me won games.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

bhsman posted:

I got that much; I guess my point is that I'm unfamiliar with the following term:

What does 'back in the throat than' mean? That turn 'nik' (with a 'high' i) into 'neeq'or something else? Maybe I'm not asking the correct way...

It has to do with the positioning of your tongue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vowel#Height

I agree that it SHOULD be further back, but that native english speakers are probably more comfortable with 'nik' (as I am, even though it's wrong, and the difference isn't huge).

But yeah, this all boils down to WOTC being really bad at Greek. In any other block they can make the names and pronunciations as they like, but if you're going for this mythology theme, you're going to have issues when you probably come up with "puh-LOO-kruh-nos" verbally and then have no idea how to translate that into text so it won't be misread. It's nitpicky, but isn't everything in nerd culture?

Made up words aside, this doesn't excuse mispronouncing words that are actual words, like pithing or jitte (which I'll grant aren't common but I have also seen crop up elsewhere). Cedric loves saying the latter as if it were French, which might be the most grating of all these offenses.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

When do they do decklists? I really want to see Reid's deck.

Oh yeah UW Prison report:
Overall funny as hell, could have done a lot better, more than half the time it came down to getting screwy draws after an amazing opening hand.

Round 1:
VS naya zoo
Went second, mull to 5, chalice on 1 after he t1 nacatl, t2 double loam lion, gg.
Game 2 went first, mull to 5, stuck at one land with chalice, two ghostly prisons and a verdict. He even had a super slow start, but I got screwed hard.
Record: 0-1

Round 2:
VS melira pod
Went second, rocked him with ghostly prisons and leyline preventing targets. He didn't know what was going on.
**in the most hilarious part, he accidentally casts thoughtseize when I have a leyline, I call a judge who says the spell has to resolve. He reveals his hand and is forced to lose 2 life and discard a card. Wrecked :c00l:
Second game I was an idiot and didn't side in rest in peace, get infinited by finks, he grinds it out for the win
Third game got screwed hand-wise, he dumped it too fast, destroyed my greater auramancy and my rip in peace, redcapped to death
Record: 0-2

Round 3:
VS bogle
This guy was bad and forgot to attack a lot of times, I landed a chalice for 1 the first and third games which shut him out. The second game I couldn't remember "daybreak coronet" when I had a nevermore in hand, and I loving knew he had it, so I named Kor spiritdancer instead. He played two daybreak coronets the next two turns and stomped that game.
Record: 1-2

Round 4:
VS devotion to black (obliterator)
Genuinely my favorite person to face as he was a nice guy. His friends were amazed at my deck and constantly laughed and gave good commentary. Neither of us cared what happened as long as the other person played until they went x-3.
Game 1 drop a leyline t1, name nevermore "vengevine" as I see his bloodghast and swamp. Well I was super wrong. He gray merchants, I misread the card and say "that can't target me" (it says all opponents not target, we agree after the game that it wouldn't have mattered anyway as he swung for lethal next turn anyway).
Game 2 he was stuck on 1 land and managed to play a bloodghast before I gave myself protection and dropped rest in peace
Game 3 was perfect. leyline out, t2 rest in peace, t3 nevermore obliterator , t4 chalice at 2, t5 nevermore geralf's messenger. He can't play anything and scoops.
Record: 2-2

Round 5:
VS merfolk
He wasn't playing cavern of souls for some reason. Also gently caress mutavault.
Game 1 leyine out (useless), suppression field (mostly useless), he does that "reveal merfolk place merfolk untap lands" thing a bunch and swings for the win
Game 2 sided out leyline and sup field, didn't board stony silence because I believed in the heart of the cards. T2 chalice for 1, T3 oring existing chalice, t4 chalice at 2, t5 verdict, t6 sigil of the empty throne. He swung for 2 damage with a mutavault a few times before I did a timely reinforcements. Awesome hand, won easily.
Game 3 was the most tense of any game that day, but I got royally boned by tutors. If I had literally any other enchantment in the deck I would have won, but I drew into 3 tutors 3 turns in a row. He spreading seas'd my plains which fixed my mana for my first actual windmill-slam-to-not-scoop supreme verdict, wiped the board and bought me time to setup a few enchantments. I sphinx'd for 4 but it wasn't enough, and he had two mutavaults on board and vialed some merfolk that gave other merfolk +1/+1 a few times, two swings of 8 by two mutavaults and it was game. This was another match where we were the unofficial feature match of the section with people crowding around to see this nerd play this totally janky enchantment deck.
Final Record: 2-3 drop, drove home 2 hours tired as gently caress

I had a lot of fun, and while I haven't really played many other decks than affinity/GR Tron, I think a lot of the problems I had come down to getting good draws (most of magic comes down to that I'd say). I feel it has the potential to be a solid t2-2.5 deck unless people start playing it en masse. Despite the fracturing gust hype I never saw it once, nor did anyone I ask have it in their sideboards.

Also saw a lot of guys who look like Chumlee from pawn stars, and saw MTG pros in real life. Most of them are very short which was surprising for some reason.

Also also there was a "transformation-fest" gospel massive evangelist church gathering in the same convention center, which was funny. I wonder what they would think of all the devil's card games played next door. It made for good contrast though, in the same hallway as the 99% african american group were the pastiest fedora-wielding neckbeards smoking e-cigs like nuts. (seriously, e-cigs everywhere, the ones that look like flutes)

tl;dr magic is fun

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Watching the replay of the Turbo Twin deck tech, and it looks pretty cool, and is interesting.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I'll take it! Started strong 6-0, limped into Day 2 at 7-2 needing the 9th round win and in. :unsmith:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I'm pretty sure this guy on the scg stream has a real honest to god mullet.

What the...

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

I'll take it! Started strong 6-0, limped into Day 2 at 7-2 needing the 9th round win and in. :unsmith:

Congratulations! What deck are you running?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Amidst all of the price hiking, it's particularly funny to hear Pat Chapin calling Modern "The most accessible and easiest to get into format."

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Amidst all of the price hiking, it's particularly funny to hear Pat Chapin calling Modern "The most accessible and easiest to get into format."

That whole quote was a joke. He also said Richmond is a tourist destination and people are on either their summer vacations or Christmas vacations right now.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Boxn posted:

Congratulations! What deck are you running?

Gr Tron, since it's what I've been playing for 7 months.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Chapin freaking the hell out seeing Dickmann's topdeck(s, ish) to steal that game back - pretty entertaining.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Boxman posted:

Chapin freaking the hell out seeing Dickmann's topdeck(s, ish) to steal that game back - pretty entertaining.

Yeah that was awesome. The ancient grudge topdeck was nutso.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I don't really know how to play Blue Moon...but I'm pretty sure that guy didn't either.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lightning Bolt to the dome against Twin! It's like you're getting out of church with your family and some dude just walks up and smacks your kid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Boxman posted:

Amazing poker face too. Can you imagine seeing that Splinter Twin on top and not giving it away with your facial expressions?

If his opponent had Cliqued in his draw step instead of on his own turn, that could have turned out quite different.

• Locked thread