Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Bulging Nipples posted:

I love John McTiernan movies. Die hard is my favorite movie of all time, and I've seen Predator, Die Hard: With a Vengeance and The 13th Warrior a million times each. Die Hard and Predator are bona fide classics, so I'm probably looking for something a little less known in the vein of 13th Warrior that I wouldnt have seen.

I love John Carpenter movies as well. The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China are in my top 5, love both Escape movies and They Live, most of his films. I love how silly a lot of his films are but they're made without a hint of ironic detachment, they're just so earnest in their premise and execution.

So I'm looking for something in the vein of those two director's work. The earnest silliness of Carpenter or the "on tv all the time on cable but you always find yourself watching the whole thing even though you've seen it a hundred times" feel of McTiernan.

Doomsday is basically Escape from New York crossed with Mad Max.
Outlander is a Viking story with a crashed astronaut helping them fight an alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

Doomsday is basically Escape from New York crossed with Mad Max.
Outlander is a Viking story with a crashed astronaut helping them fight an alien.

Ive already seen Doomsday and loved it so I'm definitely gonna check out Outlander.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
What are some of the best and most essential films from the East Asia region, specifically China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan? I understand that this is an incredibly broad question, but I'm doing a subject this semester on Asian Cinema. Obviously it will have its own film list, but I'd like to see a few things beforehand since I'd be going in almost entirely cold aside from Park Chan-wook, Ang Lee and Miyazaki movies. I'm by no means looking for an exhaustive list (you can if you want!) but just a few great films from each of those countries, both classic and recent.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
China:
Springtime in a Small Town
Two Stage Sisters
Platform

Taiwan:
A Touch of Zen
Goodbye, South, Goodbye
The Wayward Cloud

Hong Kong:
The Arch
Pedicab Driver
Exiled

South Korea
Ieo-do
Black Republic
Oki's Movie

Japan:
Repast
Nanami: Inferno of First Love
Moe no Suzaku

I'm just spitting things out, but these are all in my opinion and slight experience essential, and good building blocks on going elsewhere in these respective nations' cinemas. Someone else might be more helpful.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

What are some of the best and most essential films from the East Asia region, specifically China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan? I understand that this is an incredibly broad question, but I'm doing a subject this semester on Asian Cinema. Obviously it will have its own film list, but I'd like to see a few things beforehand since I'd be going in almost entirely cold aside from Park Chan-wook, Ang Lee and Miyazaki movies. I'm by no means looking for an exhaustive list (you can if you want!) but just a few great films from each of those countries, both classic and recent.

I'm not super well versed in Asian cinema, but here's a few:

In The Mood For Love
Ran
Late Spring
Memories of Murder
Raise the Red Lantern
Woman in the Dunes

There can and will be plenty of disagreement about which Ozu, Kurosawa, and Kar Wai movies are the best choices, and the list is a bit heavy on Japanese films, but I feel that's a pretty strong list.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Japan has a very rich film history. Check out Seven Samurai, Tokyo Story, Floating Weeds, Ugetsu, Harakiri, and Ikiru as some good entry points (Japan had a huge post-war renaissance of sorts in the 50's, although a lot of those directors started before WWII).

For China, Wong Kar-Wai is essential. Try either In the Mood for Love or Chungking Express for him. The Goddess is an excellent classic Chinese film you can watch on Youtube.

Kung-Fu films have legitimately been a huge part of Asian cinema, particularly Hong Kong, for decades. You should at least see The 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

If you include Thailand, check out some stuff by Apichatpong Weerasethakul.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
For Japan:

Grave of the Fireflies

For Hong Kong:

Mr. Vampire
Sparrow

golevka
Feb 24, 2014

Even bad coffee is better than no coffee at all.
I'm always up for watching cheesy 70s/80s films. I love all of John Carpenter's movies and watch my DVDs pretty often actually.

I think Repo Man might be one of the most ridiculous and entertaining movies ever made and I'm looking for stuff in the same vein as these.

If they're horror or sci-fi that's a huge plus.

I kind of wish there was some stream with these kinds of movies that played 24/7 that people could sit in a chat and watch.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Thanks for all of the Asian film recommendations. That's a great point to start.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

golevka posted:

I'm always up for watching cheesy 70s/80s films. I love all of John Carpenter's movies and watch my DVDs pretty often actually.

I think Repo Man might be one of the most ridiculous and entertaining movies ever made and I'm looking for stuff in the same vein as these.

I kind of wish there was some stream with these kinds of movies that played 24/7 that people could sit in a chat and watch.

Cheesy 70s/80s horror and sci-fi is my favourite. Try these on for size:

1970. The Wizard of Gore
1970. Nam's Angels
1971. The Abominable Dr. Phibes
1971. Tombs of the Blind Dead
1972. Dr. Phibes Rises Again
1972. Tower of Evil
1973. Horror Express
1973. Westworld
1974. The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires
1974. Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter
1975. A Boy and His Dog
1975. Terror of Mechagodzilla (one of the Top 3 in the series imo)
1976. God Told Me To
1976. Bruce Lee Fights Back From the Grave
1977. Meatcleaver Massacre
1977. Damnation Alley
1978. Inglorious Bastards (the original, classic WW2 exploitation)
1978. Deathsport
1979. Starcrash
1979. The Driller Killer
1980. Humanoids From the Deep
1980. Without Warning
1980. Motel Hell
1980. Contamination
1980. Battle Beyond the Stars
1980. Used Cars
1981. The Boogens
1981. Galaxy of Terror (!!!)
1981. Night of the Werewolf
1982. Turkish Star Wars
1982. Megaforce
1982. Q: The Winged Serpent
1982. SHE
1982. The New Barbarians
1982. 2020: Texas Gladiators
1983. Atlantis Interceptors
1983. The Deadly Spawn
1983. 2019: After the Fall of New York
1983. Lucio Fulci's Conquest
1984. Savage Streets
1984. Streets of Fire
1984. Razorback
1984. The Warrior and the Sorceress
1985. Radioactive Dreams (!!!)
1985. Lifeforce
1985. Star Knight
1985. Phenomena
1986. From Beyond
1986. TerrorVision
1986. Chopping Mall
1986. Rawhead Rex
1986. The Seventh Curse
1986. Future Hunters
1987. The Curse (!!!)
1987. Dark Age
1987. Hell Comes to Frogtown
1987. Cherry 2000
1987. Deathstalker II
1987. The Video Dead
1987. Straight to Hell
1987. The Time Guardian
1987. Street Trash
1988. Nightmare Sisters (!!!)
1988. The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey
1988. Brain Damage
1988. Slime City
1988. Death Spa
1988. Demonwarp
1989. Salute of the Jugger
1989. Sinbad of the Seven Seas
1989. The Sweet House of Horrors
1989. Moontrap
1989. Phantom of the Mall: Eric's Revenge
1990. Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat
1990. Dark Angel
1990. Frankenhooker

Additionally:
Gamera movies
Godzilla movies
The Planet of the Apes sequels
Troma
Full Moon Pictures

OK have fun!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's a great list but I am going to emphatically second five of these movies:

1973. Horror Express
1984. Razorback
1987. Street Trash

Seriously watch each and every one of these movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

golevka posted:

I'm not as well versed in this as the previous posters, but I didn't see House (the 1977 Japanese film) on the list, and I'm pretty sure that you'd dig it.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I'm looking for cynical, bleak movies that capture that kind of southern (united states of)American spirit and shows off a lot of its desolate landscape. I'm rereading Blood Meridian right now and watching True Detective so I'm looking for stuff that have a similar elements to those.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NeilPerry posted:

I'm looking for cynical, bleak movies that capture that kind of southern (united states of)American spirit and shows off a lot of its desolate landscape. I'm rereading Blood Meridian right now and watching True Detective so I'm looking for stuff that have a similar elements to those.

Killer Joe (it's based on a play, so not a lot of landscape shots, but otherwise it fits your criteria perfectly).

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's a great list but I am going to emphatically second five of these movies:

1973. Horror Express
1984. Razorback
1987. Street Trash

Seriously watch each and every one of these movies.

I have never heard of these, but I'm going to seriously watch each and every one of these movies.

Also on that list is a 1982 movie "SHE". That film is wonderfully trashy, and to see it recommended here makes me smile. Back in the days when videos for sale were still not really a major thing, my step-dad was given that movie by a video rental shop after doing some building work for them. Ended up watching that a million times as a kid, because that's what you do when you only have a handful of films. It's a terrible film that I will always love.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Seriously that whole list is great and pretty varied.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

NeilPerry posted:

Shotgun Stories was pretty good.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Parkingtigers posted:

I have never heard of these, but I'm going to seriously watch each and every one of these movies.

Triple support for Razorback. I picked that one up on a whim several years ago before the local Hollywood Video purged all their VHS tapes. It's exactly the kind of movie that fits the "grabbed a random thing off the shelf and it was great" experience that makes me miss wandering through the aisles of a tape store.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'd heard of Hell Comes To Frogtown before, but I didn't realize it was Rowdy Roddy Piper as Mad Max vs. literal frog men, by the guy who wrote the novelization of The Terminator. I'm definitely watching that soon.

golevka
Feb 24, 2014

Even bad coffee is better than no coffee at all.
Wow these lists are great, most look right up my alley. Thanks guys.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Any good submarine movies besides Hunt for Red October, Crimson Tide, Das Boot?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

regulargonzalez posted:

The Abyss has some great submarine sections, though it is only part of the film as a whole.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

regulargonzalez posted:

Wing Commander.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

regulargonzalez posted:

Not quite as good as those, but here's a few decent ones to help you fill that need:
Below is a decent little horror written by Darren Aronofsky and featuring a great b-movie cast.
Hostile Waters is a drat good made-for-tv movie starring Rutger Hauer, Max von Sydow and Martin Sheen.
The Rift might be my favourite of the bunch with great effects (for its budget) and a good story that was heavily borrowed from in Event Horizon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

It's technically an episode of Star Trek TOS, but Balance of Terror is a pretty drat good submarine movie.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

regulargonzalez posted:

Down Periscope. The best movie about Kelsey Grammer the submarine captain with a tattoo on his dick.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

NeilPerry posted:

Came here to ask the same thing.

Watch Winter's Bone if you haven't already. It's absolutely fantastic.

I'd also thoroughly recommend Mud which may have been the best thing I saw last year.

Also something a little different but sorta in the same vein would be Lonestar which, along with Mud and True Detective, also has Matthew McConaughey in it.

Prisoners and Martha Macy May Marlene also have similar aspects too.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

Sci-Fi answer: The Atomic Submarine

60's answer: Yellow Submarine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_films

-----------------

I've seen The Producers, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Willy Wonka, and Bonnie and Clyde. Any hidden Gene Wilder gems?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TrixRabbi posted:

Sci-Fi answer: The Atomic Submarine

60's answer: Yellow Submarine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_films

-----------------

I've seen The Producers, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Willy Wonka, and Bonnie and Clyde. Any hidden Gene Wilder gems?

Yeah, Silver Streak and Stir Crazy.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Run Silent, Run Deep is the first best submarine movie. It's Clark Gable as Ahab.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
I'm looking for more (preferably horror or action, but open to whatever) movies with a lot of night time shots of New York City in the late 80's/early 90's. That dirty New York before they started cleaning it up.

I've seen: Fulci's The New York Ripper, most Larry Cohen movies, Maniac Cop trilogy, James Glickenhaus' movies.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
It's from 99', but I think you'd like Bringing Out the Dead if you haven't already seen it. Directed by Scorsese, starring Nicolas with John Goodman, Ving Rhames, Tom Sizemore. It follows an insomniac Nicolas Cage as he works night shift driving an ambulance in the really poor/dangerous parts of Manhattan.

Little bit late, but

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

You should check out the South Korean Movie thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525253

Gringo Heisenberg fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 9, 2014

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
King of New York and Bad Lieutenant (original, obviously) would be obvious choices for that period, and After Hours if you're willing to branch out into (dark) comedy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Starscream posted:

I'm looking for more (preferably horror or action, but open to whatever) movies with a lot of night time shots of New York City in the late 80's/early 90's. That dirty New York before they started cleaning it up.

I've seen: Fulci's The New York Ripper, most Larry Cohen movies, Maniac Cop trilogy, James Glickenhaus' movies.

C.H.U.D., maybe

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Starscream posted:

It's '79, but I still feel that The Warriors would be a great choice.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

It's '79, but I still feel that The Warriors would be a great choice.

Taxi Driver is maybe the best example and that's '76.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Starscream posted:

Jason Takes Manhattan?

Oh, you said New York City, not A Boat :v:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Jason Takes Manhattan?

Oh, you said New York City, not A Boat :v:

Also he said New York City, not Vancouver

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Do you guys have any recommendations for Cold War movies? Not necessarily spy movies, although most tend to be that.

I've seen The Good Shepherd (eh) and the tv series The Company which was alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
Thanks for the recommendations everyone, though I have seen (and own) all of the ones listed so far. Perhaps I should have been a little more specific, having seen nearly 4000 movies I'm looking for more of the b-pictures and stuff that maybe flew under the radar. Abel Ferrara was a good call, totally slipped my mind, I definitely need to rewatch the original Bad Lieutenent and maybe finish up his filmography this month.

Any more, please?

• Locked thread