Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Wu deserves better than to believe himself insane, what the gently caress, Nick & Co.!? Buncha assholes this week.

They could have protected his sanity with a single monster story. And then it's not wesen. It's a, "We've seen things you wouldn't believe...," monolog and then everyone's happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

johntfs posted:

Also, Drew Wu? Seriously?
Finally. Wonder if it will ever get mentioned again, though.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

spookygonk posted:

Finally. Wonder if it will ever get mentioned again, though.

Drew Wu? loving hilarious. Wasn't someone joking before about how Wu is his first and last name?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Accretionist posted:

Wu deserves better than to believe himself insane, what the gently caress, Nick & Co.!? Buncha assholes this week.

They could have protected his sanity with a single monster story. And then it's not wesen. It's a, "We've seen things you wouldn't believe...," monolog and then everyone's happy.

I thought that's how it was going to go. After it was over, they could say "We saw the same thing!" but decide that "I guess some of those legends are true" and write it off without, you know, flipping his world upside down.

But come on, they are letting him sit alone in an insane asylum rather than just tell him what the gently caress? They better fix that in the next episode or two.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

VBane posted:

Question Number 3: Have you recently smelled something that could best be described as fudge when there is no fudge?

Edit: poo poo! Had a feeling it would end up going this way. They keep warning about people snapping when the find out but no one had yet. It was overdue.

Yeah. That's why I asked. If so, that's awesome.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
This season has been way more interesting than the last. The characters are finally forming. However, I find they'll continue to find a dumb way to not have Wu know about the vesen & grimm, etc. Not sure how I feel about the way last nights episode ended.

uptown
May 16, 2009
Wu :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

I thought that's how it was going to go. After it was over, they could say "We saw the same thing!" but decide that "I guess some of those legends are true" and write it off without, you know, flipping his world upside down.

But come on, they are letting him sit alone in an insane asylum rather than just tell him what the gently caress? They better fix that in the next episode or two.

No, they're doing the right thing. If they don't tell Wu it's real then he might with therapy rationalise what he thought he saw and overcome his psychosis. If they tell him it's real then he will spend every minute of the rest of his life looking at every person he meets - even ones he's known for years, like Sam's mother - and wondering what kind of monster they are. He'd probably start hallucinating normal people turning into monsters as well, and that's a road that only ends with a bullet in someone's head.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Jedit posted:

No, they're doing the right thing. If they don't tell Wu it's real then he might with therapy rationalise what he thought he saw and overcome his psychosis. If they tell him it's real then he will spend every minute of the rest of his life looking at every person he meets - even ones he's known for years, like Sam's mother - and wondering what kind of monster they are. He'd probably start hallucinating normal people turning into monsters as well, and that's a road that only ends with a bullet in someone's head.

Given his job and proximity to Nick, he's going to encounter a Wessen again. Hell, this wasn't even his first OR second Wessen encounter, just the closest. I can't imagine how pissed he'd be if he finds out later and that Nick and Hank knew all along and let him believe he was crazy and allowed him to sit in an asylum.

I agree, telling him immediately isn't the best thing. They need to let him stabilize a bit. However, they should have told him way before this, when he brought up the aswang. If he knew before he got attacked by grandma he probably wouldn't be in the asylum.

Wu being in the asylum isn't because 'some people don't take finding out about Wessen well', he's there because he got attacked by his best friends monster mother after she tried to eat the best friends fetus. Had he been let in before all that in a safe environment knowing he has friends at his back, I think the episode would have ended differently.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

KilGrey posted:

Wu being in the asylum isn't because 'some people don't take finding out about Wessen well', he's there because he got attacked by his best friends monster mother after she tried to eat the best friends fetus. Had he been let in before all that in a safe environment knowing he has friends at his back, I think the episode would have ended differently.

Yeah, honestly, being a police officer in general probably fucks you up, based on horrifying normal things you see. Murders, suicides, really upsetting domestic abuse and child services scenarios...you just learn to deal with it because it's your job. Not that these things are the equivalent of finding out monsters are real, but you do need to be able to cope with traumatic realities to handle the job.

Wu is probably pretty even keel, and wouldn't have had such an insane reaction if a mythic creature that scared him as a child wasn't trying to eat the fetus of a woman he loved. If he simply saw a werewolf, who wasn't trying to murder a close friend, he'd likely have handled it better than Hank did.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I really can't wait until the next episode now, I mean there is just soooo much to consider with Wu's situation. Sure Nick and Co. could've brought him into the fold and explained things like "hey you remember that time you started eating your couch? Yeah you were cursed by a witch, not even joking" but then you also have to consider that after all the poo poo Wu has gone through how WOULD he react?

Good points have been raised, he just found out that a) something that terrified him from childhood on was not only real but b) was feasting on the fetus of a woman he loves. Like holy poo poo I think most people would kind of fall off the wagon after something that traumatic occurred. I think Nick is right that they shouldn't tell him that what he saw was real because that would probably make it worse, I think them telling him that he's a hero is the BEST thing they could've done because Wu needed some reassurance that he still did the right thing, even though he may think he is crazy. He doesn't need Captain Wizard (can't remember what wizards are called) and Detective Grimm telling him that not only are Aswang real but possibly other horrors from his childhood psyche as well. All he needs is support from his friends and I believe Nick and Hank can still give him that.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
By checking himself into the psych ward, you could argue that Wu is dealing with things better than Hank did. He recognizes the danger his "insanity" presents and acts in his, and everyone else's, bests interests. Hank locked himself in a closet with a shotgun and got off a few wild pot-shots.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

They better not let Wu go down like that. This man ate his couch for them!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ETB posted:

Drew Wu? loving hilarious. Wasn't someone joking before about how Wu is his first and last name?
Thinking about it, Drew is probably short for Andrew.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

spookygonk posted:

Thinking about it, Drew is probably short for Andrew.

Nah, it's Drew. Wu's folks decided to mess with him.

Drew Wu. Who knew?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Thing is, I'm not sure we can assign a "right" and "wrong" way to have dealt with it. The gang is quite clearly in uncharted territory where all this is concerned. NO ONE has the answers to these questions because we've got unprecedented situations developing (I mean, gently caress, apparently even just having a Grimm who doesn't want to murder every Wesen in sight is something no one has ever conceived of before). Everything about the Portland situation is new and different, and it is entirely possible a case like Wu's has never really happened before. How would anyone know the right way to go? Hank lucked out by not going full-on hallucination, but this?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think I know why the Europe parts are so dull, and one critical failure they made with that: They haven't told us enough of what's going on.

We know there's the royal family that .. wants something. (I mean overall, not "we want the baby.")
We know there's rebels that .. also want something.
We know that the evil brother is gone and the new guys is evil.. because, reasons.

We know some of the players but not the cause, or the overall motivation. For example we know they want the key, but absolutely no hints as to why or what they would do with it if they had it.

It's really hard to get invested when all we have to go on thus far is vague suggestion and some characters telling us they aren't nice people. They really, really, really needed to use the Europe parts for more world building, and establishing these things, not just running from gunfight to gunfight or vague meeting to vague meeting.

That said given my TV viewing experiences elsewhere, I will happily take slightly uninteresting and not enough information over entire incoherence and stupid stuff happening any day of the week. A "Eh, maybe this is going somewhere" massively trumps, say, the "WHAT THE gently caress THAT MAKES NO SENSE!" of something like the last season of American Horror Story, or even a recent episode of SHIELD where the heroes happily gun down either fellow SHIELD agents or allies then give absolutely 0 shits because the episode itself seems confused by what's going on. [Minor spoiler out of context, just being safe.]

So consider my complaint minor, but I do think that would have vastly improved how interesting those parts are.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 9, 2014

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
For my part, I think Nick made the wrong choice by not leveling with Wu earlier, but I'm okay with that. It was an understandable decision, especially in the face of Monroe and Rosalee being adamantly opposed to that idea, but it was still the wrong thing to do. And that's okay. I like that Nick did the wrong thing both morally and strategically. It makes him more human and believable. I love that this weird fantasy show writes some of the most realistic humans on TV.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ComposerGuy posted:

Thing is, I'm not sure we can assign a "right" and "wrong" way to have dealt with it. The gang is quite clearly in uncharted territory where all this is concerned. NO ONE has the answers to these questions because we've got unprecedented situations developing (I mean, gently caress, apparently even just having a Grimm who doesn't want to murder every Wesen in sight is something no one has ever conceived of before). Everything about the Portland situation is new and different, and it is entirely possible a case like Wu's has never really happened before. How would anyone know the right way to go? Hank lucked out by not going full-on hallucination, but this?

There's enough precedent for humans knowing about wesen that the wesen have a name for them. And wasn't there a human who knew their spouse was wesen in one episode?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

At the end of the day, all I really want is more Wu. He's one of my favorite characters and I think him knowing could lead to a lot of hilarious moments.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I think that they made a joke (maybe at a comic-con panel) about making Wu's first name Lou, which is probably one reason they decided to go with Drew.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I thought that episode was terrible. I mean the monster was cool in a "that's loving creepy" way, but the writing was awful, with tons of choices being made that just don't make any sense. I can understand Monroe, but there's no reason for Grimm to be such a dick about it.

Also there was this choice bit of dialogue:

Wu: "A root? Is that like a kind of plant?"

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think that they made a joke (maybe at a comic-con panel) about making Wu's first name Lou, which is probably one reason they decided to go with Drew.

Bitsy, the actress that plays Juliet, made a joke about his name being Cindy Lou Wu. Like the little girl in How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Cindy Lou Who.

XboxPants posted:

Also there was this choice bit of dialogue:

Wu: "A root? Is that like a kind of plant?"

I didn't understand this part either. I figured it was just a joke that went over my head.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I thought it was "A root? Like a plantohshitohshit is it not a story? No way can it be real they CAN'T have meant a plant."

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

KilGrey posted:

I didn't understand this part either. I figured it was just a joke that went over my head.

It was an extremely hamfisted way of trying to let us know that Wu realized the woman was drugged with some kind of plant, just like what he just heard about the Aswang. It's really funny to me that they were so hamfisted about it that apparently some people didn't even know what they were trying to say.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

I agree. They could have easily told Wu they saw it too, but that there was no way anyone would believe them and they couldn't write it in the report. Letting him go to the crazy house was a pretty rear end in a top hat move.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
They kept going on and on about that plant root, I thought they were going to give it to Wu at the end so he forgets what he saw.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

ashez2ashes posted:

I agree. They could have easily told Wu they saw it too, but that there was no way anyone would believe them and they couldn't write it in the report. Letting him go to the crazy house was a pretty rear end in a top hat move.

Well, Wu is also now hallucinating anyways. Wouldn't have helped if he knew it was real if he's still quite not in touch with reality on other fronts.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I really enjoyed that this episode seemed to be mostly about how even though Nick is "super-powered" he still doesn't make the best choices. While still technically in the moral grey area, his decision led to negative consequences on not just a friend, but one of the fan-favorite characters. This decison will(I hope at least) have lasting impacts on Wu, the relationship the gang and Wu have, as well as his professional relationships.

It's an interesting arc for Wu, in my opinion, and one that can allow the show to grow Nick's perception of right and wrong as a Grimm and the perception of whether or not people in Grimmverse should be aware of wesen. I certainly hope it's not the end of Wu, but I hope they don't just blanket over his craziness with some half-baked "he's a-okay now!" line or some poo poo. Let him be crazy, let the gang care for him and bring him around to some level of sanity, and allow them all to grow. The shows keeps emphasizing that the wesen are no different from us and I hope they continue this by allowing Wu to be a "crazy but sane" Kehrseite/Kehrsiete-Schlich-Kennen as a reflection of some the crazy by tradition wesen.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

quote:

The shows keeps emphasizing that the wesen are no different from us

I disagree with this. The show often emphasizes that Wesen have different instincts and traditions that set them apart from humans. However, the show also emphasizes that those differences don't make Wesen evil, just different. Even the Aswang, as horrifying as they seemed, weren't intrinsically evil. The son loved his (presumably) human wife and stood up against his mother as he tried to prevent her from murdering his child.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

PowerBuilder3 posted:

They kept going on and on about that plant root

This bothered me the most. I can walk into any pharmacy/superstore and find Valerian root. It is not obscure, or rare, or wesen specific. The fact Rosalee had to search about to get a jar of it was stupid. Go to CVS a block away. There is your powdered Valerian root.

The Monster of the Week was poo poo. Nick should have done his Grimm duties to the dick of a husband and let wu, woo the mistress. So we killed the mom, left alive an "aswang" which who knows what else their rituals entail. Never confront the rear end in a top hat who lied to Wu, and this episode left me unsatisfied. The idea that Wesen are breaking the mold is good and all, but it has to be authentic. His wife doesn't know him, so why should we sympathize? Oh, because his little speech about how he wont go with tradition. Low hanging fruit. This episode was pretty weak. Grimm didn't even dispatch the Wesen in "You're a Grimm" style.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

JD Bucks 7 posted:

This bothered me the most. I can walk into any pharmacy/superstore and find Valerian root. It is not obscure, or rare, or wesen specific. The fact Rosalee had to search about to get a jar of it was stupid. Go to CVS a block away. There is your powdered Valerian root.

I agree. All I kept thinking during that part was, "um...I think even I have some of that stuff in my bathroom cupboard." I had a bought of insomnia a bit ago and it's the first thing that came up when I googled "natural sleep aid" and literally every store carried it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Why didn't the husband woge when he met Nick? I was a bit 50/50 on that episode. Looks like we'll be concentrating on the baby for the last three of the season though.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Vondizimo posted:

Why didn't the husband woge when he met Nick?

Wessen don't insta-woge when they encounter a Grimm. I don't think the husband even knew Nick was a Grimm. Woging seems to be tied to emotions, the guy seemed to be pretty in control of his. Probably easier to do when you know exactly what's going on.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Tonight's episode:

3x15 – "Once We Were Gods"
While Sergeant Wu recovers from his Aswang encounter, Nick and Hank investigate an ancient Egyptian Wesen discovery at the university.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

3x15 – "Once We Were Gods"
While Sergeant Wu recovers from his Aswang encounter, Nick and Hank investigate an ancient Egyptian Wesen discovery at the university.

They showed what appeared to be morphed "Pharroh Hound" which is not Egyptian at all, so I hope the writers know that. Or else, if it is Anubis, that is simply a Jackal, like Hitler and all other Schakals. Canines, Felines, and Reptiles. Can the writers find some creativity. Bugs, crustaceans, atrhopods, etc. There is an entire world you can use besides another dog.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Edit: deleted unnecessary dog talk.

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 15, 2014

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Bubba Hotep or bust.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Ghost baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I liked the scene of Juliette going to see Wu to share her experience and how she dealt with it. A nice scene for both of them.

• Locked thread