Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Why are you running from ghosts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rvm
May 6, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

Why are you running from ghosts?

I used to flee, because I play traditional roguelikes (DCSS) where player ghosts are bad news. I assumed it was the same way in OWH.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

This game goes to some places man.

Also can you get anything from the question line of Iris?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Davincie posted:

Also can you get anything from the question line of Iris?

Eventually (after going through maybe 4 other questions) she asks if she's just getting in the way, and you get the dialog option to throw her out, but I haven't actually chosen it to see what happens yet. Unfortunately I always had party members at the time and like being able to check their affection rating.

It's possible that ends up being a joke answer either way, but it would be even funnier if you really could leave her behind, especially if that changed the default "you and Iris adventure together forever" ending.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Yeah I finally made it to the end of the world too on Normal and there's a point where it changes from difficult to really easy if you have some ranged weapons OR know how to exploit the fact monsters will "stop" every 3-4 movement, allowing you to get 1 free strike on them. I started abusing that to kill everything. I'm really enjoying the game more now that I understand what's dangerous and what isn't as dangerous. I got really annoyed that I had 9 Keys at the end with zero holy shrines.

Any advice on doing a run where you just kill as many villagers as you want?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Korak posted:

Sure.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Korak posted:

No survivors.

Don't try to walk into elf villages with your bounty, do murder everybody inside with a bow beforehand.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Korak posted:

Bring scrolls of summoning and let them tank.

Decided to attack the Darkness and it charged its breath. Made this face after it took out a town and dungeon. :wth:

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 8, 2014

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

So does Maniac mode also cause the Demon Lord's health to regenerate between every appearance without actually listing that it has that effect?

I just had a great run on one of the daily modes (silver drops only/all npcs are merchants), but since I was playing Knight, I don't think I would have been capable of killing him before his timer ran out even with a super strong weapon. By the time I died, I was just resigned to trying to hit the end of the world.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

lesbian baphomet posted:

So does Maniac mode also cause the Demon Lord's health to regenerate between every appearance without actually listing that it has that effect?

I just had a great run on one of the daily modes (silver drops only/all npcs are merchants), but since I was playing Knight, I don't think I would have been capable of killing him before his timer ran out even with a super strong weapon. By the time I died, I was just resigned to trying to hit the end of the world.

Nope, he's just way tough.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maou gets stronger from Grueling mode. Try a Hunter to see the changes. The shield gets weaker over time. Playing Hunter makes me want to drink something strong. You see over time the health of monsters getting higher rather slowly (except Maou) and breaking a Demon Lord seal gives it a full heal and ten thousand Life. I found a Buddy before giving up fighting it.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

So uh... the King is pretty stupidly powerful as a party member (and has some interesting interaction dialog if you happen to find Buddy Tablets). Finding a bunch of elven camps selling Stark Needles and enchant scrolls helped too, but even then he was doing the vast majority of my damage.

First time ever making it that far, and on Grueling/Maniac as well.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I got Frieda and Demon Lord to fight the Darkness and it is not holding back on doing terrible things.

Walked 67KM each day and SS rank on 1650KM. Beat that speedrunners.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 8, 2014

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Was directed to this thread from the Steam thread. I love this game. Beat it for the first time last night on easy with my Swordmaster. Cashed in all my levels for Crit chance and had a bad rear end spear so I plowed through enemies.

I Sharted is my heroes name, because I play this game late at night drunk which makes it even more interesting.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If you didn't see it in the Steam thread, press in the direction of your cursor to stop the sticky key bug.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus does a +5 strength swordmaster wreck. My anime cat lady is unstoppable

frank.club fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 9, 2014

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

God I love the ever-loving gently caress out of this game. It has the balance of depth and accessability, and I can actually win unlike most traditional roguelikes that I just don't have the patience for I guess :v:.

Anyways enough of my meaningless rants, I bring a dimension that starts off slow but then has 2 holy shrines and a load of goddess statues. also has 4 dark brotherhood shops and they are right next to each other. Good place to stock up for when you need buddy tablets and other DB items
Dimension name is: JMTLRJZT

It's where I got my first full clear of the game as well, though I was not loved as I beat all the dark brotherhood guys to death for their stuff, as a Pro Wrestling X5 Hero, of course.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Tried my first naked pro-wrestler run. Not more than half a screen out I came across a dungeon packed with at least 10 enemies. I tried to fight them one on one at the door and got wrecked.

Screw Daylight savings time. I'll get another run in.

EDIT: The music in this game is awesome. Takes me back to the days of playing a rented SNES game late at night on the living room TV after everyone's gone to bed.

Bro Nerd Alpha fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 9, 2014

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I've just managed an end of the world run as a hero, managed to snag the Queen and 2 legendary weapons along the way. Then I got the World's End Bow, do I have to make another run carrying that to get the true endings?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You do get an ending by using it or another Holy item in a new run.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Now to do the same thing on Maniac :unsmigghh:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I put in a consumable like a vial of health to the dimensional vault and then take it out and use it later does it still remain in the vault for later play throughs?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
So long as you don't play on that save.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Your vault only updates when you choose to save it from the postgame menu or win, so yes as long as you don't want to keep anything new from the run or kill the demon lord.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I recently picked this game up, and had quite some fun with it. Really, at like 2,50$ it was practically a steal! Beat it on my first try with a Knight on easy, unlocked some things and moved on to normal. The difference in the challenge is quite noticeable, but not too harsh. However, I just can't seem to get a win out of the Hunter, even on easy. Either I run out of arrows(despite stocking up in towns), or I get murdered by something fierce that I couldn't get away from. Any tips for that class?

In general, it seems like the squishy classes are at a massive disadvantage compared to the traditional melee classes. Both in terms of offense and defense. I'm basing that on my tries with the Hunter and the Bard though, so maybe I'm just not seeing how they should be played. Especially the Bard is weird. His deal should be getting helpers, but whoops, you went through half the world without meeting anyone and now you're dead.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Besides starting out on a roguelike, you have to know how enemies behave and buff agility. I beat the Darkness with Hunter on Grueling just by switching weapons around.
You can recruit that knight guy in the castle with four charisma.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I haven't been having a lot of luck with Hunter myself, but Bard is pretty easy, actually. If you put one point in Charisma, you can recruit one of the guards in the starting Castle, plus there's a new "here have a nearly free follower" mission every day (need to pump Charisma a bit more to get them AND the guard, tho). And if that's not enough, the Loyal Pet perk can get you another follower that way. Pet's a bit of a glass cannon, tho, fragile as hell. That, plus having dash to run, plus pretty good agility means I tend to have good luck with Bard.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

lesbian baphomet posted:

Eventually (after going through maybe 4 other questions) she asks if she's just getting in the way, and you get the dialog option to throw her out, but I haven't actually chosen it to see what happens yet. Unfortunately I always had party members at the time and like being able to check their affection rating.

You can't actually throw her out but it's fun to try.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Captain France posted:

I haven't been having a lot of luck with Hunter myself, but Bard is pretty easy, actually. If you put one point in Charisma, you can recruit one of the guards in the starting Castle, plus there's a new "here have a nearly free follower" mission every day (need to pump Charisma a bit more to get them AND the guard, tho). And if that's not enough, the Loyal Pet perk can get you another follower that way. Pet's a bit of a glass cannon, tho, fragile as hell. That, plus having dash to run, plus pretty good agility means I tend to have good luck with Bard.

I've found that Hero is incredibly powerful if you start with +4 Charisma perks, because having the starting castle knight around to absorb hits to your back (since they always strike the party member) seems to negate the hero's inherent weakness entirely. I didn't go out of my way to test it, but it didn't seem like the damage to my party member was getting super-multiplied the same way it would have if I'd been the one to get hit.

Or maybe that was just because a leveled-up party member tends to end up with relatively high health compared to the player, but either way, it gives you the freedom to run from encounters, which isn't always something the Hero can safely afford to do.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Could someone explain the world generation process and dumb it down for me ? I've been picking the "join other adventurers" online world. I've messed around with the special modifier ones and usually die very fast.

Off to try my pirate with +5 Charisma.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They all look the same to everyone. The items in the world and monsters are different for each run and change with each save.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Scalding Coffee posted:

They all look the same to everyone. The items in the world and monsters are different for each run and change with each save.

I figured that much. It's the text descriptions that mention the modifiers for said world, I get that part. Has there been any further research into creating your own world ? My custom world "DILDO" was used for me to get an understanding of the mechanics.

EDIT: Custom world DILDOOOO is no success. I keep running out of energy before i can do anything worthwhile

Bro Nerd Alpha fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 10, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Certain terrain drains you.
I think the first person who actually visits a new dimension is the only one who modified it into existing.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Here's my hunter guide:

• You start off with the piercing shot skill which is incredibly good. For 3x the durability of a normal attack you hit everything in your bow's range for increased damage. Note that this is the only way you can damage walls with a bow. It costs 7 stamina starting off so holding onto stamina herbs and pots early is good for pinches. Hunters highest growth is 20% for a flat stamina boost and then also have 10% for int so it should become more spammable soon, but then you need to start watching your weapon durability. You can also use it with melee weapons which is ok until your agility is high enough to combo regularly.

• Permanent detection and monster health sense are both powerful information tools, most notably you can tell if a monster has 3-4x health before you even get close to it to prevent getting in fights with horrible triangle titles.

• You can use melee well enough but make sure you either have a shield or retarded agility before you start because you HP and vitality are poo poo and that's never going to change. You life detection become much more important in this case.

• Starting perks is optimally 4-5 strength. This give you more damage for arrow conservation, more damage for your piercing shots, more stamina to use piercing shot, and more weight to carry your heavy bows along with a melee weapon and shield. Agility is less important because you have dash and decent growth in the area, also bows can't combo. You can also get 5 crits which will make you even more efficient with damage but will cost you in utility.

• You have a 10% chance to get mountainwalking when you level up. This might seems like a bum reward and the game will screw you with more levels in it after it gets maxed, but when you get single-turn mountain climbing you open up lots of ways to escape through hills and then snipe whatever was chasing you.

• Scrolls of binding are pro pickups and a decent thing to use for the first enchant for any bow. Tentacle weeds are also cool to keep around.

• You're the only really offensive class with dash and you also have ranged weapons so consider things and stuff.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Does anyone have advice on how to achieve the secret third win condition, killing the Dark Dragon/the Darkness?

Every time I've tried, it's ended with getting near-instakilled by a firebreath which fills the screen horizontally, and then finished off by one of the very tough knight-looking enemies that suddenly starts hanging out in the world. The firebreath seemed like it had a 1 turn windup, but since it's 3 tiles across and centered on your character, how are you expected to escape it without burning Awakening/Teleport pills/being a Dash class? I'm assuming those keep happening every so often, meaning I guess you have to win before running out of escape mechanisms or healing?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

lesbian baphomet posted:

...the secret third win condition...

Killing the Demon Lord is the first win condition right, what's the second?

Kly fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 10, 2014

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Devour or Fire posted:

Here's my hunter guide:

I appreciate this. I got my first Demon Lord takedown on my second "Walk in the park" try as a Knight, but have been having a much rougher time trying to get through as a hunter on "Afternoon Stroll". In addition to these tips, is there anything else helpful about fighting the Demon Lord? Just hoping you always have a rooting mechanism and running away otherwise?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Kly posted:

Killing the Demon Lord is the first win condition right, what's the second?

End of the World, walk 2000km. I've also seen 3000km show up on some win pages for multiplayer dimensions, which I don't know how to do but I'm assuming is unlocked somehow.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Sivart13 posted:

I appreciate this. I got my first Demon Lord takedown on my second "Walk in the park" try as a Knight, but have been having a much rougher time trying to get through as a hunter on "Afternoon Stroll". In addition to these tips, is there anything else helpful about fighting the Demon Lord? Just hoping you always have a rooting mechanism and running away otherwise?

Just venture til you're buff or have tons of healing then equip a decent sword and shield and manfight him.

lesbian baphomet posted:

Every time I've tried, it's ended with getting near-instakilled by a firebreath which fills the screen horizontally

The fire breath is a fire attack so read a bunch of armor scrolls for fireproof enchants on something that already has ok fire resistance, preferably the Undine Cloak from sacred treasures which will make you mostly immune on its own. You can also get enough agility to get double turns on it on to move out of the way, although you won't know until it actually attacks you since you can't see the STOPPED anywhere.

fuepi fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Sivart13 posted:

Not necessarily hunter-specific, but if you have a melee weapon/shield out instead of the bow, you can Throw arrows (or anything really, but arrows are weightless and cheap) at the demon lord to deplete the barriers, if you want to avoid wasting turns swapping equipment. Thrown damage-over-time items like Vials of Fire/Acid will also bypass the barrier entirely, so those are great to use for whittling the Demon Lord down a bit during the times when you're still trying to run instead of fight.

Other things that work about as well as a rooting mechanism for escaping: Teleport Pill, Scroll of Confusion

Scroll of Confusion also works super well for when you choose to stand and fight.

• Locked thread