Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

I wouldn't really call it a proud Marvel tradition when you have SHIELD for ages and obviously the likes of AIM and MODOK and then Whedon comes along with the dumbly named SWORD and then every organisation has to be an acronym.

Isn't that meant to be a pretty forced acronym in universe too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

I wouldn't really call it a proud Marvel tradition when you have SHIELD for ages and obviously the likes of AIM and MODOK and then Whedon comes along with the dumbly named SWORD and then every organisation has to be an acronym.
I have no beeves with SWORD. It goes well with SHIELD, and there was already precedence with STRIKE back in the 70s or something. HAMMER was when things went too far.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

redbackground posted:

I have no beeves with SWORD. It goes well with SHIELD, and there was already precedence with STRIKE back in the 70s or something. HAMMER was when things went too far.

Didn't Osborn admit that H.A.M.M.E.R. did not actually stand for anything and he just wanted it to be called that?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In non-AoS fan news Arrow last night seemed a bit uneven to me but it definitely sets the direction for the next several episodes. Manu Bennett absolutely killed it in this episode and the ending with him without the eye patch was messed up creepy. It was quite interesting that the episode was mostly confined to the Queen's house and the Amazo ship and that is what I found to be the most jarring of this episode. Also the actress playing Sara is.....not really that good.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
What I really don't get about all this "oh god Skye's going to become Captain Marvel" doomsaying is the obvious fact that, well, Coulson can't loving fly or shoot fist lasers. We have walking, talking proof of what Tube Guy's organ juice or whatever can do, so just calm the gently caress down.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

404GoonNotFound posted:

What I really don't get about all this "oh god Skye's going to become Captain Marvel" doomsaying is the obvious fact that, well, Coulson can't loving fly or shoot fist lasers. We have walking, talking proof of what Tube Guy's organ juice or whatever can do, so just calm the gently caress down.

He just have the super power of cuddling with the elderly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

xposting from TVIV but while there have been a lot of rumors surrounding TVD star Steve McQueen being cast as Nightwing in Arrow, the actor himself said he's been in talks.
http://television.cosmicbooknews.com/content/steven-mcqueen-confirms-nightwing-talks-arrow-video

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

xposting from TVIV but while there have been a lot of rumors surrounding TVD star Steve McQueen being cast as Nightwing in Arrow, the actor himself said he's been in talks.
http://television.cosmicbooknews.com/content/steven-mcqueen-confirms-nightwing-talks-arrow-video

Too bad about his weakness to barbwire fences.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

bobkatt013 posted:

Too bad about his weakness to barbwire fences.

To be fair, Nightwing's biggest weakness is Editors.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

404GoonNotFound posted:

To be fair, Nightwing's biggest weakness is Editors.

Redheads. Nightwing's greatest weekend is redheads.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
People of the world, stop naming your kids Steve McQueen.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

jscolon2.0 posted:

Redheads. Nightwing's greatest weekend is redheads.

I don't know if that's a typo or not.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Well he did have that great weekend with Barbara... which he capped off by giving her an invite to his wedding with Starfire.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Kingtheninja posted:

People of the world, stop naming your kids Steve McQueen.
Okay but this one can't help it, his grandfather was the OG.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Maltose posted:

A lucky accident.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Okay but this one can't help it, his grandfather was the OG.

Alright, I retract my previous statement. He gets a pass.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

There's About Half'a Inhuman Torso Inside

I gotta give you props for that.
If the Nightwing thing in Arrow is true, I wonder if he will start out in Bludhaven and we'll see Oliver and co. taking a field trip or he will start in Star and move, ala Huntress.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

zoux posted:

Why would he leave directing for a supporting role in a CW show?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

redbackground posted:

Don't forget the rarely-mentioned transdimensional security authority, A.R.M.O.R.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Don't forget the rarely-mentioned transdimensional security authority, A.R.M.O.R.

So secret it makes S.W.O.R.D. look like S.H.I.E.L.D. and S.H.I.E.L.D. look like the Post Office.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

What about H.E.R.B.I.E.?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
What did N.O.W.H.E.R.E stand for?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Here's hoping we get an episode with M.O.D.O.K.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Medullah posted:

Here's hoping we get an episode with M.O.D.O.K.

You'll get 10 episodes with some guy named Tarleton who'll mention Project MODOK offhandedly in a conversation, but he'll never turn into MODOK or do anything except be some nerd with maybe a laser gun.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lurdiak posted:

You'll get 10 episodes with some guy named Tarleton who'll mention Project MODOK offhandedly in a conversation, but he'll never turn into MODOK or do anything except be some nerd with maybe a laser gun.

No he'll definitely be a hydrocephalus sufferer.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Lurdiak posted:

This is a joke, right? Transdimensional security authority?

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Didn't Osborn admit that H.A.M.M.E.R. did not actually stand for anything and he just wanted it to be called that?

Yup. When he hires Victoria Hand to be his second-in-command, her first task is to make the acronym mean something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WarLocke posted:

They're like SWORD for interdimensional excursions. I think they have a Mummy Captain America in their basement. Morbius worked there for a bit.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Lurdiak posted:

They're like SWORD for interdimensional excursions. I think they have a Mummy Captain America in their basement. Morbius worked there for a bit.

gently caress, I gotta google this poo poo. That's ridiculous.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Someone hasn't read Marvel Zombies 3.

(it stands for "Alternate Reality Monitoring and Operational Response")

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

And the Thunderbolts Annual had W.A.N.D. (Wizardry Alchemy Necromancy Department)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I can't believe we haven't seen Agents of D.I.L.D.O. XXX yet.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Waterhaul posted:

Wait Whedon created SWORD? Back when he wrote for comics? I thought SWORD was as old as SHIELD or something.

Anyway, if you're going to have crazy acronyms, just embrace it and go all out. That's the best way. I mean Arrow has HIVE and it fits right in.

Lurdiak posted:

WarLocke posted:

Lurdiak posted:

WarLocke posted:

gently caress, I gotta google this poo poo. That's ridiculous.
This is exactly the sort of ridiculousness the show could use.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

SWORD did show up first during Whedon's time on X-Men. Abigail Brand being a very Whedon-esque character who ended up dating The Beast for awhile. Pity the SWORD series never took off, it was pretty good.

What you may be remembering was STRIKE which was the British counterpart to SHIELD. Betsy Braddock was a member of STRIKE's Psi Division before the organization was wiped out and (much later) Betsy went from an English Telepath to Japanese Ninja with psi powers.

Personally, I thought the English Telepath was the more interesting character, but that ship sailed in the '90s.

As far as STRIKE is concerned, they got destroyed in the 1980s Captain Britain book and eventually were replaced by the RCX who were sorta allies sorta enemies of Captain Britain.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait Whedon created SWORD? Back when he wrote for comics? I thought SWORD was as old as SHIELD or something.

Anyway, if you're going to have crazy acronyms, just embrace it and go all out. That's the best way. I mean Arrow has HIVE and it fits right in.

This is exactly the sort of ridiculousness the show could use.

There had been various attempts at other acronyms throughout the years but SWORD was Whedon because hurrr SHIELD and SWORD and then from that came everybody else's attempts with HAMMER and ARMOR and then the more joke versions of HATE and GRAMPA.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I can't believe we haven't seen Agents of D.I.L.D.O. XXX yet.

Man those parodies are like high budget now. They have shooting schedules and post-production work, they don't just drop them in a week like they used to.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

There had been various attempts at other acronyms throughout the years but SWORD was Whedon because hurrr SHIELD and SWORD and then from that came everybody else's attempts with HAMMER and ARMOR and then the more joke versions of HATE and GRAMPA.

HATE was the best one, led by the heroic(and depressed) Dirk Anger.

EDIT: I still listen to the theme song sometimes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Waterhaul posted:

Whenever I hear about Marvel's HAMMER I feel disappointed when it did not in fact have an overly expensive gigantic robot to fight monsters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEYqj_WG_GE

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Whenever I hear about Marvel's HAMMER I feel disappointed when it did not in fact have an overly expensive gigantic robot to fight monsters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEYqj_WG_GE

I knew what was coming before I clicked that link. Damnit, that show was cut down before its time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Aphrodite posted:

Man those parodies are like high budget now.

Poor AoS, so cheap as to be beneath their notice now, no doubt.