Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

E-Tank posted:

Canadians have a habit of hating America, not entirely unjustified mind. Its not entirely surprising that they'd be fine with spreading 9/11 bullshit.

The funniest/most pathetic thread in this forums was that guy who pretended to be Canadian when traveling abroad because a cabbie was rude to him one time.

Getting back to the whole bus ads thing, I was pretty sure that something similar was happening in the NYC subway or maybe the London Underground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

That really was kind of a thing for US travelers during the height of the Bush years, though.

Anyone still doing it now though...

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

There's a lady I went to college with and am superficially facebook friends still to this day but I'm remotely concerned about her mental health since in the past couple of months she has gone full blown chemtrails. Like, to the point where this week she took a picture of the sky one day full of trails and the next none and was like "do poisoners take days off too???"

But what is most disturbing is she has a lot of friends who post on her page that are like "yes i noticed a lot less chemtrails this week as well, strangely i feel a lot better.........."

That and she apparently writes to John McCain about ending the tyranny of chemtrails and then posts them in full.

It really feels like witnessing the mental breakdown of a person.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Have you tried spraying her with vinegar?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Baronjutter posted:

Have you tried spraying her with vinegar?

She talks a lot about spraying bottles is this a thing? Like, running around spraying whatever around her to protect herself from mind control.

I mean, I had a closing term spanish class with this person back in 2008 so it doesn't keep me awake at night but how she talks it sounds like she's within the past year had some sort of dissociative break and it is just kind of sad to witness. Like what little she posted before was just "I am at x place!" or "vacation!" and now it is nothing but "why will john mccain not listen to my voicemails about the tyranny of chemtrails."

onlyprettysure
Mar 6, 2014

Berke Negri posted:

She talks a lot about spraying bottles is this a thing? Like, running around spraying whatever around her to protect herself from mind control.I mean, I had a closing term spanish class with this person back in 2008 so it doesn't keep me awake at night but how she talks it sounds like she's within the past year had some sort of dissociative break and it is just kind of sad to witness. Like what little she posted before was just "I am at x place!" or "vacation!" and now it is nothing but "why will john mccain not listen to my voicemails about the tyranny of chemtrails."

the jews did chem trails

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

That really was kind of a thing for US travelers during the height of the Bush years, though.

During ye olde Bushe years I was in Prague on holiday and asked some English speaking dudes for directions. One of them called me a loving yank and began ranting about America and Iraq or whatever. I'm Dutch and called him an rear end in a top hat in my native guttural gibberish, you still owe me one for this America.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Were they english? Because 99% of english people in meet in Prague are the loving scum of the earth worst tourists you will ever encounter in your life.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

They were Brits since they had a noticeable accent like you'd hear on EastEnders or whatever. I didn't really mind all that much though. It was just kinda funny because you have to be pretty drunk to think I have a flawless General American accent.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I went to the Netherlands for a few weeks during the Bush years. First thing I asked my friend there when I got out of the terminal was "Should I say I'm from Canada or something?". Holland was really nice and friendly though, and they didn't seem to care where you were from....till we visited Amsterdam...never again

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Baronjutter posted:

So my local transit company, who have allowed christian ads on buses and anti-abortion ads but didn't allow a humanist group from advertising they exist because it was potentially offensive and controversial is allowing a bunch of WTC tower 7 conspiracy ads on buses. I have no idea why a group in Canada has the money or interest to do this, but someone is paying thousands for loving 9/11 conspiracy bus ads and the bus company is standing by "freedom of speech"

Was this in Toronto? Because I saw an Truther ad on the streetcar once, but never again. I do see a lot of stickers around that have wonderful things like "There was no holocaust" and "Challenge Zionism" around. Another favorite was "Occupy = Jewish plot" during the OWS protests. All had urls for infowars and some other site that I assume belonged to the person who pasted them around.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Berke Negri posted:

I'll still sometimes say I'm German if I don't want to get into it, but more often it's because there are other Americans I want to dissasociate myself from. But I actually have dual citizenship so this doesn't work for everyone.

computer parts posted:

The funniest/most pathetic thread in this forums was that guy who pretended to be Canadian when traveling abroad because a cabbie was rude to him one time.

Getting back to the whole bus ads thing, I was pretty sure that something similar was happening in the NYC subway or maybe the London Underground?

I can't speak exhaustively, but I have seen no such ads in New York and would be very, very surprised if there were some. This might come as a shock, but New Yorkers can be kind of touchy about that. :shrug:

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax
Why do conspiracy theorists like Dees always supports Russia as the only good country that exists?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Byde posted:

Why do conspiracy theorists like Dees always supports Russia as the only good country that exists?

America is bad > Russia is the opposite of America > Russia is therefore Good

It doesn't go any farther than that, in all honesty.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Russia itself appears to be pretty supportive itself of conspiracy theories too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Berke Negri posted:

Russia itself appears to be pretty supportive itself of conspiracy theories too.

I remember reading that the USSR honestly believed a lot of UFO conspiracies and actually had agencies working to catalog and investigate any and all sightings. They also looked into a lot of their own MK Ultra style stuff.

Russia is what originated the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, and escaping White Russians helped spread the idea that Communism was a plot to destroy Christian nations. That stuff is big time popular in modern Russia, but I don't think there are many Russia jews left. Plus the direct religious hate in Russia is most aimed at Muslims, but that still doesn't mean that Jewish Bankers are running everything from behind the scenes!

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Russians are foreign enough to not be part of the liberal Zionist-controlled West while still generally being considered white.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
With the collapse of the Soviet Union Russia has already entered a post-modern period where the Establishment entrenches itself by reinforcing that 'nothing is true' and allowing the masses to entertain any number of ideas. People who see Russia as a 'good guy' are really delusional - if anything it represents the dystopic future - humans dispassionately enmeshed in a brutal society run by gangsters. Adam Curtis has a good blog post about it here - talking about Limonov and the Russian punk movement leading into Putin/Surkov's post-modern political theater. Of course the USA's WWE two-party system is quickly becoming no different.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

twistedmentat posted:

I remember reading that the USSR honestly believed a lot of UFO conspiracies and actually had agencies working to catalog and investigate any and all sightings. They also looked into a lot of their own MK Ultra style stuff.

Well the US and the Soviets were both very interested in tracking sightings of "UFOs" in case the things people were seeing were secret projects on their own side (e.g. for the US a secret airplane design being tested but a civilian saw it so an enemy agent might have too) or secret projects from the enemy's side (e.g. for the US, some random guy catching a glimpse of the Soviets running a new type of airplane into US airspace). And especially if the weird thing a guy saw in the sky was some sort of secret military equipment that might have crashed and been recoverable for study.

This was the primary purpose for both sides to categorize and catalog unidentified sightings. Heck it's why they often scrambled fighter planes to hunt after them - they didn't think they were going to shoot down some sort of alien spaceship, they thought they might have to shoot down enemy aircraft intruding over their country.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mII9NZ8MMVM

So I stumbled upon this mountain of anti-semitism.

Is anti-fed talk and rothschild garbage pretty much just that in it's simplest form? Anti-Semitism?

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Lightning Jim posted:

Yeah. It reminds me of the FEMA directions to the Camps hidden in normal signage. Like with a picture of an airplame for an airport? It's pointing in the direction, not the arrow to the airport.

EDIT: Found the site I read this stuff on: http://web.archive.org/web/20011218071131/http://tackamarks.freeservers.com/index.html

I make road signs for my county. I hate when people post the FEMA road sign thing on Facebook (I have some stupid friends) because they refuse to accept it when I tell them that the reflective stickers on the backs of the signs don't actually show you how to get to a secret military camp...they're put on at random. If I want to put it in the top left corner of the sign, I loving do it. Middle of the sign? Sure, but it's not too helpful there. Bottom right? Sure. Sometimes I forget to put one on altogether. It's not a conspiracy, it's a loving location indicator.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Doctor Chaxtical posted:

I make road signs for my county. I hate when people post the FEMA road sign thing on Facebook (I have some stupid friends) because they refuse to accept it when I tell them that the reflective stickers on the backs of the signs don't actually show you how to get to a secret military camp...they're put on at random. If I want to put it in the top left corner of the sign, I loving do it. Middle of the sign? Sure, but it's not too helpful there. Bottom right? Sure. Sometimes I forget to put one on altogether. It's not a conspiracy, it's a loving location indicator.

How much extra do you get for working for FEMA or do you just do it out of loyalty? Do you also get involved in gang-stalking on an on-call basis?

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Baronjutter posted:

How much extra do you get for working for FEMA or do you just do it out of loyalty? Do you also get involved in gang-stalking on an on-call basis?

Well just a few months ago one of my coworkers "retired". He hasn't come into work since then. He also hated the sign-related conspiracy theorists because they rip down our signs all the time. Makes you think.

No joke though, people legitimately do rip down the signs or try to peel the stickers off the back. Also "High Street" gets stolen about once a month and it's still funny every time I have to replace it.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Doctor Chaxtical posted:

Well just a few months ago one of my coworkers "retired". He hasn't come into work since then. He also hated the sign-related conspiracy theorists because they rip down our signs all the time. Makes you think.

No joke though, people legitimately do rip down the signs or try to peel the stickers off the back. Also "High Street" gets stolen about once a month and it's still funny every time I have to replace it.

On the bright side, at least those conspiracy theorists (and stoners) provide some job security for you.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
So are these signs like other conspiracy theories, where they adapt what's there to what they want? In other words, how do they determine what markers mean what on signs? Just whatever happens to line up with what's around, or is it like certain placing on certain sign shapes?
I honestly knew a guy back when I was 20 or so that thought the blinking road construction lights were coded to signal alien spacecraft to land there because why would they need to put flashing lights on barrels and barricades that have reflective tape on them already.
I can't describe the urge I felt to grab the tire iron out of the trunk and whack him a few times

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I posted this in another thread, but it's better here. I recently read a lot of the psychology literature on conspiracist ideation (i.e., assuming conspiracies exist based on flimsy or non-existent evidence.) There's no single explanation for why people would believe in unwarranted conspiracy theories – there are personality traits that seem to be linked, it might provide a more comprehensible explanation for otherwise bizarre events (like 9/11), it might promote certain political motives, etc. Also, there are external reasons for the rise of conspiracy theories – for instance, the belief among many African-Americans that AIDS was a government creation is likely related to unethical research performed on black subjects, like the notorious Tuskegee experiment.

But one of the really interesting recent findings showed that people who believed that Osama bin Laden was still secretly alive were more likely to also believe that he had been murdered years before. One interpretation of this research is that conspiracist ideation isn't driven by the usual deductive processes that allow us to make sense of the world, since conspiracists are disposed to believe mutually contradictory theories.

Another interesting rabbit hole is Cook and Lewandowsky's research on global warming conspiracies. Pretty much everything on their blog http://www.skepticalscience.com/ is worth reading, but I'd particularly recommend "Recursive Fury", a paper about how psychology research on conspiracy theorists itself spawned conspiracy theories. The paper is really worth a look, it's quite an insight into the conspiracy mindset.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Is anti-fed talk and rothschild garbage pretty much just that in it's simplest form? Anti-Semitism?

I think it occupies a similar social space. I wouldn't say most, or even many, anti-Fed types are anti-Semitic, but the notion of a cabal of bankers who may or may not be Jewish controlling the world's financial system certainly follows a dangerous intellectual lineage. It's just that in the post-Holocaust and post-Bretton Woods world it takes on different tones and identifies different players.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

SocketWrench posted:

So are these signs like other conspiracy theories, where they adapt what's there to what they want? In other words, how do they determine what markers mean what on signs? Just whatever happens to line up with what's around, or is it like certain placing on certain sign shapes?
I honestly knew a guy back when I was 20 or so that thought the blinking road construction lights were coded to signal alien spacecraft to land there because why would they need to put flashing lights on barrels and barricades that have reflective tape on them already.
I can't describe the urge I felt to grab the tire iron out of the trunk and whack him a few times

So basically, on the back of just about every road sign in the US, there is a small reflective sticker that displays some information about who made the sign, what month/year it was made, etc. Sometimes it'll say something like "Milepost 24, Highway 22" so if the police find somebody with it they can look at where it came from to prove it was stolen (as opposed to one somebody bought).

The conspiracy is about these stickers. The front of the sign displays the information (say, SPEED 45), but the sticker goes on the back. They think that if you drive past a sign and look in your rearview mirror, the location of the little reflective sticker signifies how to find these secret bases. So, if you drove past that SPEED 45 sign and the sticker was on the left side of the sign, it means "turn left at the next road". This is a special code so that FEMA/The Army can find staging areas when martial law is declared (or, in one of the youtube videos I saw, a "helicopter landing pad" [which was actually a parking lot for a park]). They ignore a few basic things with this:

1. A conspiracy like this would involve thousands of public works employees across the nation, none of whom could be allowed to tell anybody;
2. It would make sign fabrication an unholy clusterfuck of a headache because you would have to take note of each sign and where the sticker should go;
3. Everybody in FEMA/The Military would have to know this (or a lot of them) and one of them would inevitably talk;
4. FEMA/The Army have loving maps.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, that stupid with GPS being pretty much everywhere. Plus the Illuminati could have their own App with their own maps and locations. Every wonder what the i stands for in iPhone? :tinfoil:

I could see that theory spawning because some already Conspiracy minded fellow was driving on the back roads in rural Texas and noticed the reflective strips, and one of them just happened to be on the same side as a road that lead to a abandoned military base (I chose Texas because there's a ton of them there, not in any way trying to Stereotype Texans as tinfoil hat wearers). Because he already thinks in this way, he put two and two together and got five.

And I'm sure there is a shitthatdidnthappen.txt Conspiracy edition story about some guy who claims to have the same job as Doctor Chaxtical says "oh yes its all organized and planned out. And then someone else joins in and claims they followed the stickers and eventually got to a chain link fence and the guards told him to leave now or he would be arrested.

There used to be a Yahoo Group i belonged to in the 90s that collected these stories. They were all pretty funny because it would catalog the long rabbit holes of crazy where people were desperate to join in on things.

One I remember was about a guy who was spelunking in Michigan and accidentally came across a bunch of UN helmeted Russian soldiers who were quartered inside an old Salt Mine. Or of Airline Workers who would constantly come across Chemtrail equipment in their planes. The Skeptoid episode about Chemtrails reports some of these, and its funny how apparently only like 100 gallons is enough to poison everybody.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Heh, we have an old air force installation out here in Michigan, people swear that despite it being a small weather station that it's really a secret UFO base. Some even swear they've been chased by these UFOs. Oddly enough it's right next to a busy gravel quarry, you'd think that'd be the last place you'd want delicate secret activities because of all the people around including random semi drivers and all the vibration of heavy equipment.

Doctor Chaxtical posted:

So basically, on the back of just about every road sign in the US, there is a small reflective sticker that displays some information about who made the sign, what month/year it was made, etc. Sometimes it'll say something like "Milepost 24, Highway 22" so if the police find somebody with it they can look at where it came from to prove it was stolen (as opposed to one somebody bought).

The conspiracy is about these stickers. The front of the sign displays the information (say, SPEED 45), but the sticker goes on the back. They think that if you drive past a sign and look in your rearview mirror, the location of the little reflective sticker signifies how to find these secret bases. So, if you drove past that SPEED 45 sign and the sticker was on the left side of the sign, it means "turn left at the next road". This is a special code so that FEMA/The Army can find staging areas when martial law is declared (or, in one of the youtube videos I saw, a "helicopter landing pad" [which was actually a parking lot for a park]). They ignore a few basic things with this:

1. A conspiracy like this would involve thousands of public works employees across the nation, none of whom could be allowed to tell anybody;
2. It would make sign fabrication an unholy clusterfuck of a headache because you would have to take note of each sign and where the sticker should go;
3. Everybody in FEMA/The Military would have to know this (or a lot of them) and one of them would inevitably talk;
4. FEMA/The Army have loving maps.

*laughs*
Believe me, I think it's retarded, I just couldn't figure out how they assigned what each one was coded, whether the sticker had info they'd mismash, its location on the sign, or just they would take areas they already knew about and try to link them to the signs. You would think the military would be smarter than that when it comes to setting up whatever areas they don't want the public around, like sealed orders, maps, GPS, radios...you know, things the average autistic moron can't see and figure out

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 10, 2014

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Get ready for a new one: that missing Malaysia Airlines flight was vanished by a mysterious force!

http://www.naturalnews.com/044244_Malaysia_Airlines_Flight_370_vanished.html

Actually got this courtesy an otherwise competent international security expert. No one is immune, I suppose.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

MothraAttack posted:

I think it occupies a similar social space. I wouldn't say most, or even many, anti-Fed types are anti-Semitic, but the notion of a cabal of bankers who may or may not be Jewish controlling the world's financial system certainly follows a dangerous intellectual lineage. It's just that in the post-Holocaust and post-Bretton Woods world it takes on different tones and identifies different players.
Isn't it pretty much directly lifted from protocols of the elders of zion?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Russia is what originated the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, and escaping White Russians helped spread the idea that Communism was a plot to destroy Christian nations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Probably the most damaging book in the history of Mankind.
And there is a reason all the villains in the movie are played by the most Jewish looking Jewish in Hollywood.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

twistedmentat posted:

And there is a reason all the villains in the movie are played by the most Jewish looking Jewish in Hollywood.

Considering the level of discourse exhibited by reddit libertarians, Fatlas Smugged might be a better title.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

To be fair, Ayn Rand herself was ethnically Jewish.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

To be fair, Ayn Rand herself was ethnically Jewish.

I have money and no desire to be fair. Ayn would approve.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ron Jeremy posted:

I have money and no desire to be fair. Ayn would approve.

That, and she's dead so it's not like she cast the film.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I've been kind of wondering if it'd be possible to be a Libertarian without worshiping at the feet of Ayn Rand.

also agreed, gently caress ayn rand forever.

twistedmentat posted:

One I remember was about a guy who was spelunking in Michigan and accidentally came across a bunch of UN helmeted Russian soldiers who were quartered inside an old Salt Mine. Or of Airline Workers who would constantly come across Chemtrail equipment in their planes. The Skeptoid episode about Chemtrails reports some of these, and its funny how apparently only like 100 gallons is enough to poison everybody.

I always enjoyed that level of insanity as reading material to be honest. Like Art Bell discussing weird Alien Conspiracy theories on the radio entertains the hell out of me.

I kind of view it more so as "Ghost Stories", where you know they're not true, but you enjoy hearing someone tell them anyway.

Can't stand the 9/11 crap though, nor anything originating from "Alex Jones".

MothraAttack posted:

It's sad because there's people gullible enough to watch and then believe it.

Very Nazi-esque IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huttan
May 15, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

One thing that I noticed in that movie is there is a scene with Teller and he actually talks.

• Locked thread