Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
It should be the movie isn't really about Horikoshi, but actually a 1940/50s crime novelist in japan. Keeping the "this movie is in part about anime", the main character's voice is done by the creator of Evangelion and someone not actually known for acting. Someone who's known for being extremely bitter about the effect his work had on anime at large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Some Guy TT posted:

Regarding Jay Dub's reviews of The Wind Rises, I like the idea that Miyazaki wrote a film about how he kind of hates anime even though he loves writing about it. However, I think making the metaphor only about anime is a bit limiting.

I regularly read Animation Magazine, because one of the libraries I go to stocks it and I'm probably the only person who can read it so I do. This is a trade magazine for animators, so basically all the articles are fluff pieces for new animated films. Like, the filmmakers will brag about the creative process behind the Nut Job, praise the family driven morals of Despicable Me 2, and talk about how good a job they're doing engaging children for Walking With Dinosaurs 3D. It was right after reading the article for the last one (the only movie mentioned in this post I'v actually seen) that I got to the piece on The Wind Rises, and it just sort of hit me. These people are Horikoshi. They love animation, and they love making animated movies, even if they're not very good at it, and they're just doing their darnedest to hide or obfuscate the terrible messages these narratives actually have for children by cloaking it in creativity so they have a nice protective bubble for when the critics get around to panning it. Assuming they ever do.

It's a movie I really need to see, because the review has convinced me this is a movie about the dark side of what the creative process actually produces. Which is something nearly everyone seems to hate discussing in movies. And I doubt that many people are actually going to read it that way because of course none of us are as terrible as Imperial Japan but still. I think I'd really like it.

That's a really fascinating point, actually, and I'm sure there's a lot of truth to it. It's fun to start a review with "Hayao Miyazaki hates anime," but that's a statement that is fairly malleable, given the context. That feeling of resentment can be applied to any artist working on something that might ultimately become terrible. (See NutriciousSnack's point.)

I know some have a problem with the film because it ultimately glorifies a man who helped build a death machine. (Devin Faraci's whole review was basically him saying "I just can't get over that" a hundred times.) I can't make that leap so easily, because Miyazaki paints Horikoshi as kind of a victim of circumstance. His dream was to build airplanes, and the only people hiring engineers were firms who had contracts with the Navy. The way the film portrays him, he doesn't really care where he works so long as he can do what he loves. At a certain point that becomes the whole "He was just following orders" argument, but the film steers itself clear of that rabbit hole.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Is it possible that "Being ashamed of that which he worked so hard to create" also reflects on Miyazaki's relationship with his son?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Vargo posted:

Is it possible that "Being ashamed of that which he worked so hard to create" also reflects on Miyazaki's relationship with his son?

:aaaaa:

That fact had slipped my mind, but probably, yes.

I guess I should amend that line to "Hayao Miyazaki hates anime. Tales of Earthsea especially."

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I think it's probably worth noting that in the original Peabody and Sherman cartoon, John Phillip Holland couldn't figure out how to build a working submarine because the version he had just flew around in the air instead of going underwater properly. Every episode was a variation on that joke with a different historical character. I have absolutely no idea how they were able to get bootstrapping and gay adoption allegories out of that. Maybe they read the TV Tropes page for inspiration.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Some Guy TT posted:

I think it's probably worth noting that in the original Peabody and Sherman cartoon, John Phillip Holland couldn't figure out how to build a working submarine because the version he had just flew around in the air instead of going underwater properly. Every episode was a variation on that joke with a different historical character. I have absolutely no idea how they were able to get bootstrapping and gay adoption allegories out of that. Maybe they read the TV Tropes page for inspiration.

Seriously when I was little my dad raised me on Rocky and Bullwinkle poo poo, and all the Peabody gags were just 'haha this guy is silly, here's a historical tidbit about him, Peabody helped him the end', how on earth do you take that and make 'man if you think about it the French Revolution was real dumb and also gay dads are real dads too' is beyond me. It was on my 'maybe I'll get it on Netflix' list before but man do I not have any desire to even do that.

Also your review of Nymphomaniac was interesting, not interesting enough to make me give a crap about it yet, but better than most things I've seen about it that just focus on what a shithead LaBouf is.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Gay rights and right-wing undertones...?

I wonder if it was pure coincidence that Mr. Peabody and Sherman comes out hot on the heels of the CPAC. :tinfoil:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Saw Nymphomaniac a while back and enjoyed Vol 1 for the most part. However, how bad was Shia's British accent? Because it sounded horrible to me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ian 'Professor 'Clumsy' Maddison posted:

I first discovered my oval office at the age of 24. His name is Sean and he writes movie reviews.

Movie reviews may be rated some number out of fifty, but you'd have rate that in scovilles.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

I have absolutely no idea how they were able to get bootstrapping and gay adoption allegories out of that. Maybe they read the TV Tropes page for inspiration.

Maybe they saw Time Squad, which was a lot like the original Sherman and Mr. Peabody in that it was a cartoon that taught a broad-strokes take on history, but also had this homoerotic undercurrent to it. See for yourself here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhxnkr_time-squad-the-most-homoerotic-kids-show-ever_fun.

I know I mentioned this show on the "Obscure Cartoons You Remember from Childhood" PYF, but if you're talking about Sherman and Mr. Peabody and alleged gay undertones, then I have to bring this up, as it was the first thing that came to my mind.

Penny Paper fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 16, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'd pay good money to see a Cruisin' USA or San Francisco Rush movie.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Penny Paper posted:

You have a clipping of it?

Oh, I realize this is months old at this point, but I forget to ever check this thread.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/x1467731426/-Last-Vegas-And-act-that-wears-thin

Please excuse the formatting, I had nothing to do with it.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Y-Hat posted:

Only if the CGI matches the graphics.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Y-Hat posted:

Cruisin' even has a Top 40 hit built in. Just get Rihanna or whoever to sing this and we're golden!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnBt5x4ZeW4

e: poo poo, it's spelled Cruis'n? Seriously? Goddamn.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That singer really cranked as many syllables as she could out of that title.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Is is just me, or does Divergent sound like something put together by TVTropes? Mad Libs-style world-building and plotting, special snowflake teenagers, no real ending... I feel like that site has a lot to answer for.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

It's just a classic entry on the YA Dystopian Teenager Monomyth

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Monomyth is not an excuse to paint by every single number.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Is the book Divergent a former fan-fiction turned published thing?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Is the book Divergent a former fan-fiction turned published thing?

That's Mortal Instruments, re-edited from a Harry Potter fanfic.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
If you told me Divergent was Hunger Games fanfic about one of the other districts, I would not be surprised at all.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Saw this right after reading the Divergent review and had a chuckle. They're really pushing the YA novel-to-film thing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1790864/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Divergent started as a project for a college creative writing class and was published before the author graduated.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I believe she made the intelligent district the evil ones because her professors kept criticizing her work, and that was her way of sticking it to them.

And it worked, I suppose. Sigh.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Saw this right after reading the Divergent review and had a chuckle. They're really pushing the YA novel-to-film thing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1790864/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

This is like a tween version of cube.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
All right, I'm wondering now- how exactly is the society in Divergent supposed to be a dystopia? The trailer was really vague, and the review...doesn't seem to mention anything all that bad. So people are separated into castes by personality tests, but they still get to pick which caste they go into in? And divergents are bad because..? What? To keep Harrison Bergeron from taking over the world?

I'd also like to cite the paragraph about the high school freshman for excellence. That's the best explanation I've heard yet for where those bizarre clique tropes come from.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
We recognize it as a dystopian society because it exists as a purely transparent means of controlling human behavior which, according to most stories, is categorically evil. It's taken as read before the film even starts. Also, if you don't immediately conform to one of their five personality groups, they shoot you in the head. That's basically eugenics.

Divergents are bad because they don't adhere to one of the five cliques. If they can't immediately pigeonhole you, you're of no use to the system. Extrapolate this to my high school metaphor. If the cool kids can't immediately identify you as being on the football team or the drama club or 4H, you might as well not exist to them. Or at least, that's how the movie sees it.

Adhering to one clique is a total fallacy, though, because we see dozens of characters that aren't born into the clique they wind up choosing. Even if Tris weren't divergent, by going from Abnegation to Dauntless, she would potentially have developed traits from two different groups. Now multiply that by hundreds of people across all five groups every single year. It falls apart as soon as you start thinking about it.

What I'm saying is that the movie doesn't explain much of this either.

Jay Dub fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 24, 2014

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
For every good book/book series they turn into movies, they turn at least one mediocre or outright bad book/book series into movies too. Excellent reviews, as always, but so depressing to know that stuff like Divergent--derivative and half-assed--will still put asses in seats until it is mercifully forgotten about in a few months.

The review for the Muppet movie reminds me of a scene in The Great Muppet Caper, where Miss Piggy escapes from jail, tosses a truck driver out, and steals the truck. Oscar the Grouch shows up for a second, and the driver asks him what he's there for. "A brief cameo," Oscar says. "Yeah, me too," replies the driver.

I never knew who that guy was. I get the feeling that the latest Muppet film will inspire similar confusion.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

CantDecideOnAName posted:

For every good book/book series they turn into movies, they turn at least one mediocre or outright bad book/book series into movies too. Excellent reviews, as always, but so depressing to know that stuff like Divergent--derivative and half-assed--will still put asses in seats until it is mercifully forgotten about in a few months.

The review for the Muppet movie reminds me of a scene in The Great Muppet Caper, where Miss Piggy escapes from jail, tosses a truck driver out, and steals the truck. Oscar the Grouch shows up for a second, and the driver asks him what he's there for. "A brief cameo," Oscar says. "Yeah, me too," replies the driver.

I never knew who that guy was. I get the feeling that the latest Muppet film will inspire similar confusion.

Peter Ustinov, but for some reason until you mentioned it and I looked it up, I always remembered it being James Coburn.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Peter Falk cameo in Caper is the best, because he's basically a stupid columbo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zelder posted:

I believe she made the intelligent district the evil ones because her professors kept criticizing her work, and that was her way of sticking it to them.

And it worked, I suppose. Sigh.

Tagline: "The professors taught her she wasn't good enough. The lists taught her it didn't matter."

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
So what about a movie makes you guys decide to do a gag review? Is it a joint thing where everyone helps write it?

I'm surprised Noah got such a good score. Religiousy movies never seem to do that well from what I hear.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

So what about a movie makes you guys decide to do a gag review? Is it a joint thing where everyone helps write it?
Aside from the occasional suggestion, no. As far as I know, this week's Donovan Laird review was the work of one writer. And Ian rarely, if ever, tells us how to write a review or which movie deserves a gag review. As a writer, that kind of flexibility is wonderful.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The cognitive dissonance from fundies watching Noah must be delicious. On the one hand, it's God destroying the sinners and saving the virtuous, which is their favorite story ever. On the other hand, EVOLUTION! GLOBAL WARMING! ARRRRRRRRRRGH!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
People literally calling it science fiction.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

The cognitive dissonance from fundies watching Noah must be delicious. On the one hand, it's God destroying the sinners and saving the virtuous, which is their favorite story ever. On the other hand, EVOLUTION! GLOBAL WARMING! ARRRRRRRRRRGH!

It's certainly been a laughing point for many film/pop culture nerds for a few days now. Republican/Fundie tears are always a tasty treat.

I will say, I laughed pretty hard at how one day the talking point was "haha, lookit these fundies getting mad over Noah" and the next it became "WHAT DID THEY DO TO MY NINJA TURTLES"

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

A little inside baseball for you: At least in my experience, those reviews tend to pop up anytime an otherwise normal review doesn't pan out.

quote:

I'm surprised Noah got such a good score. Religiousy movies never seem to do that well from what I hear.

Religion in and of itself doesn't make a movie bad. That part's kinda up to the filmmakers.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

How much is this actually happening? It seems like I'm seeing way more people laughing at the religious types getting all worked up over Noah than I am any religious people actually giving a poo poo about seeing the movie in the first place. Then again, the only religious person I talk to much is my mom, and she friggin' loved it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

How much is this actually happening? It seems like I'm seeing way more people laughing at the religious types getting all worked up over Noah than I am any religious people actually giving a poo poo about seeing the movie in the first place. Then again, the only religious person I talk to much is my mom, and she friggin' loved it.

I know when the film was in development, as well as when early cuts were being shown to churches by the studio to try and drum up interest, there was a lot of religious teeth-gnashing at it. I admit I have no idea how much of that is still around now that the movie is actually out. I did happen to see a brief piece on it on CBS this morning with them interviewing people who've seen it and someone calling it science fiction, but I didn't hear if that was meant as a good or bad thing.

TheBigC
Jan 22, 2007
It depends on which relgious group you're looking at I think. Ken Ham, the guy who debated Bill Nye recently, is really anti-Noah, called it disgusting and evil!
http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs/ken-ham/2014/03/28/the-noah-movie-is-disgusting-and-evil-paganism/

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I will say, I laughed pretty hard at how one day the talking point was "haha, lookit these fundies getting mad over Noah" and the next it became "WHAT DID THEY DO TO MY NINJA TURTLES"

This is a pretty cogent point though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked Arrested Development Season 4. :colbert: But actually the Michael bits were probably by second-least favorite part, after the George Sr./Oscar episodes. And I agree that I don't think I have seen Bateman in any other role that I actually liked and/or remembered.

Under the Skin sounds great. All I really heard about it was that it was ScarJo playing an alien who picks up men, and some of the men were just random people. I wasn't quite sure what to make of that and after reading the review I'm still not sure what to expect but I do know I really want to see it.

• Locked thread