Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

supermikhail posted:

Will someone here tell me what's the etymology of the word "Langolier"?

I think the only thing King ever said about the name is that it sounded right for the name of a time monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

supermikhail posted:

Will someone here tell me what's the etymology of the word "Langolier"?

Possibly from "languid" (sluggish, exhausted) and the suffix -ier ("operator", ie. gondolier, grenadier)?

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

Franchescanado posted:

Cocaine, weed, alcohol and Listerine.

That's exactly what I hoped for.

The Time Dissolver posted:

Possibly from "languid" (sluggish, exhausted) and the suffix -ier ("operator", ie. gondolier, grenadier)?

You, sir, do not win.

:D

But seriously,

Install Windows posted:

I think the only thing King ever said about the name is that it sounded right for the name of a time monster.

It sounds like a real word, so confusing, even more so when it's the title.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

finished Full Dark No Stars

"Fair Extension" was a pretty good 2/3 of a story I just wish he'd finished it. I'd like a fair extension on this story XD

"Fair Extension" was great, if only for how mean it was. I also enjoyed "1922" a lot. The ending gave me the creeps.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

"Langoliers" is just the bogeyman Balki's mom made up to scare him as a kid, it's a nonsense word.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It has been a long time since I kept up with this thread and Stephen King in general. This Revival book...any news about it?

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

crankdatbatman posted:

It has been a long time since I kept up with this thread and Stephen King in general. This Revival book...any news about it?

That's coming out next November, and Mr. Mercedes is coming out in June. You can read about both of them at StephenKing.com

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
So just how bad (or good) is Dreamcatcher? It gets a lot of flack but I've heard it described as a sort of spiritual sequel to IT and I was wondering whether that is at all accurate and whether the book is actually worth reading.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Edwardian posted:

I finally started "Under the Dome," and I can't get past the first 50 pages. It's just not pulling me in the way a King book usually does.

Tough it out, it's pretty good.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Helsing posted:

So just how bad (or good) is Dreamcatcher? It gets a lot of flack but I've heard it described as a sort of spiritual sequel to IT and I was wondering whether that is at all accurate and whether the book is actually worth reading.

Do you enjoy hunting trips, poo poo weasels, and magical mentally-handicapped folk that aren't Tom Cullen? Then you are right in Dreamcatcher's demographic, my friend!

More seriously, it's just kind of mediocre and is the novel that suffers the most from post-van syndrome. It's no Gerald's Game.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Jazerus posted:

Do you enjoy hunting trips, poo poo weasels, and magical mentally-handicapped folk that aren't Tom Cullen? Then you are right in Dreamcatcher's demographic, my friend!

More seriously, it's just kind of mediocre and is the novel that suffers the most from post-van syndrome. It's no Gerald's Game.

It's the first novel he wrote after his accident (from wikipedia: "The book, written in cursive, helped the author recuperate from a 1999 car accident, and was completed in half a year") and you can really tell he wasn't in his right mind. It starts off with a guy getting hit by a car, as a matter of fact. And while there's a lot of it that's sub-par (it re-treads a lot of themes he'd covered better in other books), there's also a fair amount of insight about why people are happy to do hideous things.

The movie, though. The movie. WE MEET AGAIN MR GAY

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Helsing posted:

I'm usually the odd man out on this one. Dreamcatcher was one of the first few(maybe the 3rd?) King books I read when I lived on my own. I loved how it started, and I liked where it went with it. I knew it wasn't very good after the first half, and I liked it so much, I guess I just didn't care. I wanted to see how it ended, and I read really fast. I went through it in a few long evenings.

I've read everything King's published since then at least once, except for Dark Tower 2-7, and re-read a lot of them, including Dreamcatcher about 3 times. I can compare it to the other books, and see that it's (partly) not very good, but I still enjoy reading it. It's not even in my top 10 "best" King books, but just writing this is making me want to go re-read it again.

Edit: gently caress that movie, though. If they could have used the same actors to make a high-budget HBO mini-series, and not gently caress with the story, you'd have...something that would get an HBO exec fired?

Aquarium Gravel fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 10, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The best part of Dreamcatcher is that one guy's, I think it's Jonesy, mental warehouse. It's an interesting way of showing the dude having his own story about resisting Mr. Gray.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The best part of Dreamcatcher is that one guy's, I think it's Jonesy, mental warehouse. It's an interesting way of showing the dude having his own story about resisting Mr. Gray.

I agree. That's what makes the movie so strangely bad. Like, Stephen King-isms rarely, if ever, translate to the screen (see: The Shining mini-series and the hedge animals). But for whatever reason, that one part actually worked, and worked wonderfully well. I couldn't believe it. And, for what it's worth, all the characters worked well, too. Even the Beav.

And then Morgan Freeman snarled as he fired a minigun from a helicopter, and the movie ended with Major Winters stepping on an alien slug and smiling. Which was total loving nonsense.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Think I'm going to reread Duma Key again sometime during Spring Break. I enjoyed it more than any other Post-2000 Stephen King book, even if the payoff was kinda meh.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I finished King's short story "Summer Thunder" over lunch and now I need to hug my dog.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Saw this while playing Pokemon and it creeped me out:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AYC posted:

Saw this while playing Pokemon and it creeped me out:

Looks like they missed an opportunity for an entire party of Mr. Mimes.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hannibal Lecter and Sherlock Holmes both have mental warehouses as far as literary characters go. That was a different kind of adaptation of the idea, although I believe I saw similar in X-Men or something.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I love hunting through piles of used books, no matter where those piles may be. Never know when you might find something cool.

I was at the thrift store tonight doing just this when I discovered a little cache of old Stephen King hardcovers - not unusual in the least, so I look through them half-heartedly and what jumps out at me but a first edition of Pet Semetary, distinctive cover art of the hissing cat and all. Right next to a first edition of Different seasons, both priced at $3 each but half off, so I got them for $3 total. Not too bad a deal! Both are in damned good condition considering they're 30+ years old.

Ultimates2
Mar 3, 2009

Get your popcorn ready
I'm reading The Stand for the first time, I'm about half way through.

How come Frannie goes from being an interesting character to a lovesick 16 year old? Seriously, it's like as soon as we get inside of her diary she only pines for Stu and talks about how gross Harold is and it's all written in the voice of some 15 year old valley girl.

What the heck is that about?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Ultimates2 posted:

I'm reading The Stand for the first time, I'm about half way through.

How come Frannie goes from being an interesting character to a lovesick 16 year old? Seriously, it's like as soon as we get inside of her diary she only pines for Stu and talks about how gross Harold is and it's all written in the voice of some 15 year old valley girl.

What the heck is that about?

King's overt and undisguised sexism. See also Susan in Salem's lot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It really seemed like King got tired of the character for some reason because after they get to Denver she pretty much does absolutely nothing of any importance the rest of the story.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
So I'm reading through the thread from the front for funs, but I wanted to post about The Wind Through the Keyhole. I found it very enjoyable and even concise which is a rare thing for King. It's like a mid-world version of a Grimm's fairy tale. I could read prequels to Gunslinger all day long, mayhap King can recapture some of that magic by ignoring the later DT stuff that has bogged him down big-big in books 4-7.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

It really seemed like King got tired of the character for some reason because after they get to Denver she pretty much does absolutely nothing of any importance the rest of the story.

Men were doing important things. She was doing the only important thing women do.

King's writing about women in the early days was horrible beyond belief. He all but wore a fedora in those days. The fact is that he undeniably believed that women were just bitches bent on denying men their god-given right to sex. (Every single character in the Bachman books is like this, which he openly acknowledges was based on his own "sexual frustrations" in the introduction to the collection).

quote:

Women’s lib, Frannie had decided (thinking that if she was going to be bald, she might as well go totally bald), was nothing more nor less than an outgrowth of the technological society. Women were at the mercy of their bodies. They were smaller. They tended to be weaker. A man couldn’t get with child, but a woman could—every four-year-old knows it. And a pregnant woman is a vulnerable human being. Civilization had provided an umbrella of sanity that both sexes could stand beneath. Liberation—that one word said it all. Before civilization, with its careful and merciful system of protections, women had been slaves. Let us not gild the lily; slaves was what we were, Fran thought. Then the evil days ended. And the Women’s Credo, which should have been hung in the offices of Ms. magazine, preferably in needlepoint, was just this: Thank you, Men, for the railroads. Thank you, Men, for inventing the automobile and killing the red Indians who thought it might be nice to hold on to America for a while longer, since they were here first. Thank you, Men, for the hospitals, the police, the schools. Now I’d like to vote, please, and have the right to set my own course and make my own destiny. Once I was chattel, but now that is obsolete. My days of slavery must be over; I need to be a slave no more than I need to cross the Atlantic Ocean in a tiny boat with sails. Jet planes are safer and quicker than little boats with sails and freedom makes more sense than slavery. I am not afraid of flying. Thank you, Men.

And what was there to say? Nothing. The rednecks could grunt about burning bras, the reactionaries could play intellectual little games, but the truth only smiles. Now all that had changed, in a matter of weeks it had changed—how much only time would tell. But lying here in the night, she knew that she needed a man. Oh God, she badly needed a man.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I read (in Danse, I think) that he wrote Frannie as the kind of woman he wanted to fall in love with. I'm usually not down with psychoanalyzing writers (the text should speak only for itself), but seeing how young King was when he wrote The Stand, it's pretty easy to see he hadn't grown out of the mentality that most men have up until twenty-five or so (and later, now, with protracted adolescence).

But as a counterpoint, I think that Bobbi Anderson in The Tommyknockers is a really well-written female character, probably the best King's ever done, and that book was, like The Stand, part of his early career. So I dunno.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

rypakal posted:

Men were doing important things. She was doing the only important thing women do.

King's writing about women in the early days was horrible beyond belief. He all but wore a fedora in those days. The fact is that he undeniably believed that women were just bitches bent on denying men their god-given right to sex. (Every single character in the Bachman books is like this, which he openly acknowledges was based on his own "sexual frustrations" in the introduction to the collection).

Yeah, I think it is important to emphasize the early days bit. Comparing Frannie to, say, the women in Full Dark No Stars is like they were written by different people.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

joepinetree posted:

Yeah, I think it is important to emphasize the early days bit. Comparing Frannie to, say, the women in Full Dark No Stars is like they were written by different people.

Thirty years separated The Stand and Full Dark, No Stars, so a little change is understandable.

Honestly, to me, it just represents how much the world has changed since 1978. I don't just see sexism in King's books; I see it in movies, TV shows, and news reports from that time period as well. Watching movies like Overboard that my dad loves is fun, but they make me tilt my head sideways since the way they portray women seems so outdated and unfair to my 21st century eyes.

TL;DR institutionalized sexism was much more acceptable 36 years ago, and that's reflected in the attitudes of King's works.

AYC fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 14, 2014

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

I think my problem with Fran and Susan is that he tried to make them real people and then flushed it all away. It would be better if he never got my hopes up.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wish Fran had died. It was really hosed up how she friend zoned Harold

and the women in Full Dark No Stars are bad

they should have reported the crimes to the proper authorities

vigilante justice is wrong

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

rypakal posted:

(Every single character in the Bachman books is like this, which he openly acknowledges was based on his own "sexual frustrations" in the introduction to the collection).

Thinner is a really super uncomfortable read for this very reason, even if the main character is supposed to be a terrible person.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I wish Fran had died. It was really hosed up how she friend zoned Harold

*eyerolling intensifies*

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'm rereading It. I've just finished the Junkyard sequence. I think that bit might be more unpleasant than the sewer scene at the end. I imagine people have less of a problem with it because it's intentionally gross, whereas the sewer scene is supposed to be this beautiful and heart-warming moment. And it got me thinking back over all the King books I've read, and I realised that the infamous gang-bang is the only sexual sequence I can remember where King has tried to write sexy, every other one is written to shock and gross out the reader, and I don't think he's capable of writing sex any other way (not that the Sewer bit a good example of sexy sex writing; that scene is so conceptually awful that I have a hard time imagining any writer making it work).

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Yeah, the junkyard is comically, hideously, wonderfully uncomfortable. All of Patrick Hocksetter's stuff--and all the way up to his death--is a loving fantastic piece of writing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

AYC posted:

*eyerolling intensifies*

Yeah, Frannie owed Harold sex and a relationship after all he put up with from her, stalking her before the outbreak and whatnot. She's such a loving feminazi bitch for leading him on that way, you know? Poor bastard, having to go to sleep with his semen drying on his stomach like an arrow pointing up to his face.

But thankfully, the Walkin' Dude showed him how to properly neg sluts and the precise manner in which to peacock. He's gonna get so much pussy.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Poor bastard, having to go to sleep with his semen drying on his stomach like an arrow pointing up to his face.

More! This is loving amazing.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

WattsvilleBlues posted:

More! This is loving amazing.

You could call Harold's behavior

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

A red Flagg.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Just got Skeleton Crew. 'The Mist' is pretty great. I read half in one sitting because I couldn't put it down.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

AYC posted:

You could call Harold's behavior

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

A red Flagg.

There is no emoticon for hos this makes me feel :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU