Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That particular enemy is the only one who really really tanks the framerate. It's really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Systematic System posted:

If you really did do all but two side quests then you would have unlocked it. How many quests did you do?

I'm a loving moron. I thought I was on day 12 when I was on day 11. I slept through another day and it unlocked.

Oh Etro!

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I wish the game would tell you before the Final Day if you had. Its very silly that they make you wait/give no indication.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The framerate is pretty crappy overall for me. It slows down constantly in every city and it becomes really annoying in the Wildlands. Inside the forest it's fine for some reason. Fighting Sahagins is a nightmare. I'm on a PS3. Could it be because I've replaced the hard drive?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Framerate isn't exactly consistent or very high across the board, I'll grant that(on PS3). But I killed every Desert Sahagin to extinction and I never saw the framerate drop to single digits like I've heard people talk about.

So I just saw the ending. Ha ha ha ha... well, that sure was something. And I'm talking about the pre-credits sequences, here. Then the music cut out halfway through the credits; nice.

At any rate, I actually had a blast with this game. I think it really helped that I didn't play the first two games, and neither cared about the storyline nor was I all angry about how the XIII franchise has destroyed Final Fantasy or something. I think this game took itself a lot less seriously than the last two, based on the amount of intentionally absurd elements going on. I was able to just laugh along with both the silly sidequests (often intentionally funny) and the equally silly main quest (funny for different reasons). But people looking for a story to redeem the series are going to be disappointed, I think.

I thought the gameplay and customization were a blast, though, and playing on Easy really really made the time limit a complete non-issue. The world was large enough and varied enough to be fun to explore, but small enough that you could feel familiar with the whole thing by the end of the game. I think the sometimes shameful textures and models were more than offset by good art direction. It's hard to put a finger on, but the slightly lower production values in this game almost make it feel like it's coming from a smaller, more down-to-earth publisher instead of the highly-polished soulless turds I've started to expect from SE.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm playing on normal mode and I've completed all of the main quest missions along with maybe 30 side quests and maybe around half of the job board quests. I'd kind of like to just wrap this thing up so I can move on to other games. Can anyone offer some advice on what I need to do to prepare myself for advancing to the final day? What items and upgrades will I want to get to prevent the boss from kicking my rear end and what side-quests will I need to mop up to get them?

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 9, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The easiest way to finish up the Final Day is to skip all the fights you can (there's probably five, or six mandatory fights tops). Do the final optional dungeon to get a extremely powerful weapon and shield, and then cheese the final boss with Solider of Peace and Overclocking. Midnight Mauve with one other elemental spell can be used to stagger him, and you can have a defensive third garb, because the final boss has some powerful and very quick attacks. I'd stock up on Ethers/Turbo Ethers from Outerworld, if you want to make it really easy.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I thought the optional dungeon only appeared in ng+??

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nope, do around 40 to 45 side quests and you should get it on your first play. You can basically one cycle platinum this game and finish everything, excluding the upgrading gear trophies thing which is negligible and one side quest.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

So I beat Lightning Returns, this ending my back-to-back-to-back playthrough of all three FFXIII games. It wasn't my first time playing FFXIII, but it was my first beating it and my first time playing the latter two (obviously, in the case of LR).

Honestly...I loved LR. It's probably one of the most fun games I've played in the last few years. The plot was pretty silly, and I think that everyone I live with is sick to death of the soundtrack and/or Lightning's battle quips ("See you in...the next world!" is now an everyday saying in the house), but I just enjoyed every moment of it. Still, I don't think I'll be able to play this game again for quite a while. Finding every quest item and completing every side mission was extremely fulfilling as I searched every corner of the world for things, but now that I've done it all and found it all, I don't think it would be the same to do it all again. Maybe in a year or two I'll be able to pick it up and feel the same way. Maybe.

I'd like to say that I should now go and play anything that's not FF related. Except...FFX/X-2 is coming and...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Systematic System posted:

The easiest way to finish up the Final Day is to skip all the fights you can (there's probably five, or six mandatory fights tops). Do the final optional dungeon to get a extremely powerful weapon and shield, and then cheese the final boss with Solider of Peace and Overclocking. Midnight Mauve with one other elemental spell can be used to stagger him, and you can have a defensive third garb, because the final boss has some powerful and very quick attacks. I'd stock up on Ethers/Turbo Ethers from Outerworld, if you want to make it really easy.

This sounds a bit misleading. You don't have to do the optional dungeon on the extra day to get the weapon and shield, you need to do an optional portion of the normal final dungeon. So you do not need to unlock the 14th day or do the optional ultimate dungeon. The game makes it pretty clear what the optional PART of the final dungeon is.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is Aeronite really hard? I was gonna tackle him after I exterminate all the monsters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is Aeronite really hard? I was gonna tackle him after I exterminate all the monsters.

He's the hardest enemy in the game but he's still not that bad. The hardest part is that you have a 'time limit' where he'll escape if you don't stagger him fast enough.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

This sounds a bit misleading. You don't have to do the optional dungeon on the extra day to get the weapon and shield, you need to do an optional portion of the normal final dungeon. So you do not need to unlock the 14th day or do the optional ultimate dungeon. The game makes it pretty clear what the optional PART of the final dungeon is.

Yeah I meant the optional part of the final dungeon.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

ImpAtom posted:

He's the hardest enemy in the game but he's still not that bad. The hardest part is that you have a 'time limit' where he'll escape if you don't stagger him fast enough.

I ran into him the other day curious since i didn't know that's what the little vortex of death flying around the Dead Dunes would do.

I was not prepared, dear god he never stops attacking and then he flies into me aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

He's a total dick. Is there a good strategy or setup for this? I have to spend so much time blocking I can't accumulate much on the stagger meter, even though I'm loving using a move with an A in stagger time

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
While both magical and physical work to stagger him, magical stagger is easier to do when you're less developed. I recommend a magic immune garb, which means, if you stay away from him, the only attacks that hurt you are Hellflare and Megaton Break. The other two garbs don't matter terribly, although I recommend using Miqo'te Dress to deal damage to him after his final stagger, since he takes 500% magical and physical damage. You should bring along a heavy guard and defaith for hellflare, three different elemental spells (I used -ra tier), and deprotect/imperil. Ghostly Blooms on your non-tank garbs are useful, as well as the weapon you get from beating the Wildlands, or lances for staggering. If you want to make it even easier, Warrior Potions/a en-potion makes the time limit in his final phase pretty trivial.

The only thing that might be difficult is when he uses Magnet > Roar, and magical immunity won't protect you from roar, so you need to be ready to guard it repeatedly.

That being said, if you really want to stagger him with physicals, learn to love evade. You can dodge a lot of his attacks close up.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 10, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

He's a total dick. Is there a good strategy or setup for this? I have to spend so much time blocking I can't accumulate much on the stagger meter, even though I'm loving using a move with an A in stagger time

Agreed, stay far away and spam magic. With a magic-immune schema you don't even need to block his spells; just keep firing. It doesn't matter if you're not really doing any damage, as the effectiveness of spells toward staggering doesn't depend on your damage output.

Also, you said the move has an A in stagger time? What about stagger power? High stagger power makes the stagger wave go up, while stagger time is only to keep the stagger wave from degrading too quickly. So if you're using something with D or E stagger power but A stagger time, you'll never get him to stagger.

Conversely, some skills like the -aga magic have A stagger power but terrible duration, so they make the wave spike but almost immediately drop back down. Due to those spells' long animations, they're terrible for building up stagger; you really only want to use them to push an enemy into stagger that has already gotten close.

Long story short, you want to use -ara level magic spells for staggering almost always.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ok well I decided to finish the Ultimate Lair before fighting Aeronite and gently caress dude, this guy is also pretty loving awful! I can't seem to stagger him quickly enough even though I'm using a combination of Heavy Slash and Thundara/Aerora which works ok but you basically have to hit him while he is doing certain attacks to even have a chance at staggering him which is super difficult. It's easy to hit him during Thundaga and Aeroga if you are far away, wait until he casts it, and then run in to avoid all the hits and hit him in the face. That's a good way to build stagger but he rarely uses those. It's always Grand Impulse which you need lightning loving reflexes to be able to take advantage of. Plus Resonance and rear end in a top hat meteors kill me basically every time. Is there a way to avoid those meteors? I got him down to really low health, he went into his final phase, I staggered him and spent my last two EP on Overclock in the hopes that I could Heavy Slash him to death. I got him super low and of course he used meteor and insta-killed me. Bullshit.

I'll go back to Aeronite after.

btw I am running Witching Hour with the two -ara spells plus Ruin, Soldier of Peace with Heavy Slash (which stays that way since the enemy is airborne) and Flamestrike, and Paladin with Heavy Guard/Poison/Deshell/Deprotect.

Maybe I should replace Paladin with Quiet Guardian?

EDIT: I have the weapon you get for beating the Wildlands on Witching Hour so I can stagger quicker, but they have to be all the way in the red for it to stagger which is still a pain in the rear end. That one also has the Iseult's Lament shield, maybe I should replace it with the one that has ATB+30? Maybe I should put that on Soldier of Peace, too...

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 10, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Ok well I decided to finish the Ultimate Lair before fighting Aeronite and gently caress dude, this guy is also pretty loving awful! I can't seem to stagger him quickly enough even though I'm using a combination of Heavy Slash and Thundara/Aerora which works ok but you basically have to hit him while he is doing certain attacks to even have a chance at staggering him which is super difficult. It's easy to hit him during Thundaga and Aeroga if you are far away, wait until he casts it, and then run in to avoid all the hits and hit him in the face. That's a good way to build stagger but he rarely uses those. It's always Grand Impulse which you need lightning loving reflexes to be able to take advantage of. Plus Resonance and rear end in a top hat meteors kill me basically every time. Is there a way to avoid those meteors? I got him down to really low health, he went into his final phase, I staggered him and spent my last two EP on Overclock in the hopes that I could Heavy Slash him to death. I got him super low and of course he used meteor and insta-killed me. Bullshit.

btw I am running Witching Hour with the two -ara spells plus Ruin, Soldier of Peace with Heavy Slash (which stays that way since the enemy is airborne) and Flamestrike, and Paladin with Heavy Guard/Poison/Deshell/Deprotect.

EDIT: I have the weapon you get for beating the Wildlands on Witching Hour so I can stagger quicker, but they have to be all the way in the red for it to stagger which is still a pain in the rear end. That one also has the Iseult's Lament shield, maybe I should replace it with the one that has ATB+30? Maybe I should put that on Soldier of Peace, too...

Ultimate Lair's boss is trying to get you to stay in the air, which makes it much easier to exploit his weakness during Grand Impulse (light slash helps here). Also keep in mind that even if poison only sticks for 10-20 seconds, it still does an enormous amount of damage. The way to deal with meteors is to kill him faster, it basically provides a time limit for the fight.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Mt. Modular posted:

So I beat Lightning Returns, this ending my back-to-back-to-back playthrough of all three FFXIII games. It wasn't my first time playing FFXIII, but it was my first beating it and my first time playing the latter two (obviously, in the case of LR).

Honestly...I loved LR. It's probably one of the most fun games I've played in the last few years. The plot was pretty silly, and I think that everyone I live with is sick to death of the soundtrack and/or Lightning's battle quips ("See you in...the next world!" is now an everyday saying in the house), but I just enjoyed every moment of it. Still, I don't think I'll be able to play this game again for quite a while. Finding every quest item and completing every side mission was extremely fulfilling as I searched every corner of the world for things, but now that I've done it all and found it all, I don't think it would be the same to do it all again. Maybe in a year or two I'll be able to pick it up and feel the same way. Maybe.

I'd like to say that I should now go and play anything that's not FF related. Except...FFX/X-2 is coming and...

I always liked 'Go to hell.', myself. I'm pretty excited for FFX HD because I haven't heard Auron say 'Pray, now.' in years.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Heavy Slash blows and is dick. Don't use it.
For the Ultimate Lair boss, just have Thundara/Aerora on every schema and use Equilibrium+ as a schema for that sweet, sweet ATB recovery to stagger it.

To stagger Aeronite, same thing, but instead of Soldier of Peace, use the Miqote Garb as well as your phys/mag immunity sets and the +combo finishers skill. Stagger him using your -ara spells and when he's vulnerable to damage, Magic Slash him to death with consummate ease.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I recently started playing Lightning Returns. I pre-ordered it based on the positive buzz about it and 'cause I could get a Cloud outfit. Then I played through the wacky time-travel hijinks of FF13-2, and recently finished that, so now I can start up Lightning Returns.

I started in Easy mode based on some review I read that suggested playing it on Easy due to some of the relatively harsh constraints of Normal mode. Am I going to regret starting on Easy? Will it be TOO easy? I'm not sure what to expect here! I don't want to have a complete cakewalk of a game, but I also don't want to repeatedly die on bosses to the point of losing out on the timer or something.

I don't see myself replaying the game much, so I don't think I'd be playing it on Easy, then Normal, then Hard or anything. Any suggestions? Should I just keep going on Easy, or restart on Normal? I'm just past the tutorial part, so I'm not far in yet.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Just swap to normal if you want some challenge. You shouldn't have any particular issues with time unless you manage it extremely poorly or are simply bad at the game and die a lot. Outside of the goddamned earth eaters there's only one non-final boss that really proved to be a big problem, and even then he only took 3 attempts (and the earlier losses were directly because I screwed up and got too greedy). The dlc and outerworld reward garbs are also really good and can carry you for quite a while.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 10, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I am terrible at games which require you to think faster than turn-based games. Even then, I didn't have too much of a challenge till the end-game, on Normal. Keep in mind, the main difference between Easy and Normal is in Easy, there's no penalty for dying, and you get more EP. The monsters are weaker, but not significantly so. (Normal to Hard is three times stronger, but Normal to Easy isn't three times weaker.)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Another neat detail (Main quest 1 spoilers): You can get the number in the Warren first, especially if you end day 1 in the Warren and warp back there on day 2. The scene with Noel plays out like normal, but the dialog when you get the other numbers and talk to residents changes to reflect that Lightning already knows who the Shadow Hunter is and about the number in the Warren. It's a neat little detail, considering that most people would never do things in that order.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just beat the annoying Caious (kind of annoying I wasn't allowed to finish him off) but now I'm unable to kill the second chocobo eater, inside the village. How can I avoid the devastating chomp attack? I get its health down to 40 percent or so but then the thing goes into overdrive and kicks my rear end.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Just beat the annoying Caious (kind of annoying I wasn't allowed to finish him off) but now I'm unable to kill the second chocobo eater, inside the village. How can I avoid the devastating chomp attack? I get its health down to 40 percent or so but then the thing goes into overdrive and kicks my rear end.

If you wear the item you get from the Yusnaan boss (75% physical resistance), the Guard band (10% physical resistance), and either the Quiet Guardian or Cyber Jumpsuit garbs (+15% physical and magic resistance), you get 100% physical resistance for that schema. You should be immune to most of his attacks unless he puts deprotect on you. If that's a problem, you can get a Resist Deprotect 100% armband accessory in the Dead Dunes somewhere.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

You can use Counterblow to auto-evade + counter all his attacks including the one with the debuffs. The timing for evading chomp is weird, it's earlier than it looks.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Schwartzcough posted:

If you wear the item you get from the Yusnaan boss (75% physical resistance), the Guard band (10% physical resistance), and either the Quiet Guardian or Cyber Jumpsuit garbs (+15% physical and magic resistance), you get 100% physical resistance for that schema. You should be immune to most of his attacks unless he puts deprotect on you. If that's a problem, you can get a Resist Deprotect 100% armband accessory in the Dead Dunes somewhere.

Tempo 119 posted:

You can use Counterblow to auto-evade + counter all his attacks including the one with the debuffs. The timing for evading chomp is weird, it's earlier than it looks.

Thanks! I completely forgot about the counters even though I used the magic one against the Yusnaan boss. I never got the 75% physical resistance as far as I can see, though. Is it possible to miss it?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Thanks! I completely forgot about the counters even though I used the magic one against the Yusnaan boss. I never got the 75% physical resistance as far as I can see, though. Is it possible to miss it?

Yeah, I think it gets dropped on the ground after the fight as a glowy, like when you kill a Last One monster. Always check the ground after killing bosses and last ones. Anyways, it's called the Ghostly Hood, in case you just missed it in your list.

If you did miss it, that sucks. Complete physical immunity is really key to cheesing the game. Make sure to get the item from the Dead Dunes boss if you haven't done that already.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, I think it gets dropped on the ground after the fight as a glowy, like when you kill a Last One monster. Always check the ground after killing bosses and last ones. Anyways, it's called the Ghostly Hood, in case you just missed it in your list.

If you did miss it, that sucks. Complete physical immunity is really key to cheesing the game. Make sure to get the item from the Dead Dunes boss if you haven't done that already.

That's probably it, yes. I should have thought of that, considering I found Caious' huge sword on the ground as a frickin' glowy :v:. I wouldn't mind running back to every boss location otherwise but I'm already on day 10 with one main quest in the Wild Lands to go so the clock is ticking. 75% physical resistance sounds amazing though so I guess I've got some backtracking to do. Hopefully the chocobo eater quest isn't timed!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 11, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Renoistic posted:

That's probably it, yes. I should have thought of that, considering I found Caious' huge sword on the ground as a frickin' glowy :v:. I wouldn't mind running back to every boss location otherwise but I'm already on day 10 with one main quest in the Wild Lands to go so the clock is ticking. 75% physical resistance sounds amazing though so I guess I've got some backtracking to do.

I'm guessing it won't be there anymore, sadly. Also, while it does grant 75% physical resistance, it also reduces your strength and magic stats by 100%, so you can really only do 1 damage with whatever garb you have it on. Basically, the idea is to make a garb dedicated to blocking and debuffs and give it the hood.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I just started playing this game, and I am terrible at it. I go through multiple potions fighting Behemoths in the wild land, and when I went to the forsaken graveyard, the Zomoks and Dreadnoughts absolutely destroy me. I think I am doing something fundamentally wrong. It seems like I blow through all my AP trying to stagger something, and then just have to walk around while my builds regen it. When something attacks me I guard, but it still takes a huge chunk of health off. Should I be trying to perfect guard things? I've tried a few times, but the timing seems weird on it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
If the big enemies are giving you a hard time, then don't fight them until you're more powerful. There's no rule that says you have to engage every monster that appears :v:

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The game will happily let you go places that you can't handle. Reavers are rough till you can kill them in one stagger, but, since they always drop 2.0 EP, you can Overclock them, which makes it easier (and is true for all large enemies).

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Preorder DLC outfits are going up for general purchase if you're into that: Source

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008
I just finished my first run. Approximately 50 hours on my first play through, which is was more than I was expecting, given the timer. Anyway, I thought the game was fantastic. The story was as ridiculous as expected, but it's fun if you don't take it too seriously. Actually that's my mindset for most of these things. Sometimes I find it weird how people complain about the stories being dumb in JRPGs, because I just think it just comes with the territory. But, I digress. The battle system was great. I really like how it evolved from XIII to XIII-2 to LR. There were a lot of times in the previous two games where I would just dodge enemy encounters, but this time I found myself actively wanting to seek them out and kill them all, and I'm having a blast doing it. I sort of wish there were more instances where you had party members though--not cause they help all that much, but I just like having a traveling buddy. I also like how we went from just putting hats on creatures in XIII-2, to full on Lightning dress up game in this one. :allears:

I had the FF-X Yuna (Spira's Summoner) garb from my Amazon pre-order, and never took it out of my lineup the entire game. The star leveled Elementa it comes with is just too god drat powerful to leave on the sidelines. I almost feel like it was cheating having that at my disposal, but I'll just up the difficulty for NG+.

Anyway I played my first go around with the Outerworld stuff turned off, so I decided to turn it on for NG+. Is there any point to it other than item swapping? I mean, that's cool if that's all it is. I'm just wondering if I'm missing anything.

edit: typos

Krackleburt fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 11, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Do you get anything for beating hard mode? I know there aren't any achievements for it which boggles my mind :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
You get a chance at fighting the + version of the final boss, which has a much higher drop rate on a special weapon (5% on normal version of the boss, versus 15% on the + version!). And... that's pretty much it.

• Locked thread