Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've almost acquiesced to the idea of just getting a white helmet and having it painted

I got a black one and allowed rocks and bugs to ding it up all nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

clutchpuck posted:

I got a black one and allowed rocks and bugs to ding it up all nicely.

The hipster version of this would be buying a brand new helmet and dragging it around the neighborhood a few times by a string tied to the car bumper, for that authentic gritty patina

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I think there's still most of a bee carcass in one of my top vents.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just use the city rental bikes for my commute in summer since it's like 10 minutes by bicycle, mostly downhill in the morning. Costs like $35 for unlimited rental all summer, pick up and leave at any automated station, and I have a station pretty close to where I live and one just outside work.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Chicago needs to have (possibly electric) rental scooters attached to the Divvy stations. I would use the hell out of that rear end.

E: I just realized, I don't mean like those mobility scooters or some like razor scooter with a battery. I meant like a 49cc Honda Metro or something, which you can rent and ride without an M endorsement, and possibly if they make an electric equivalent.

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 7, 2014

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Snowdens Secret posted:

I got a bicycle because my commute is short and I thought, hey, I'll pedalbike it and get some exercise

It turns out bicycling in commute traffic is terrifying

I've thought about this many many times, especially since I rode my bicycle everywhere in college. Not too long ago though, I decided to take my bike to the grocery store down the street, and I felt so naked and vulnerable... it really sucked. The helmet is completely inadequate, cars lane split with you without giving a gently caress, and there's no organization or continuity to sidewalks, so that option is out. I wish America wasn't so car-centric--everything about cars is a source for perpetual unhappiness.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Every few months I get the idea to go ride my bike the last time was with a friend for a quick 6 miles. In that time I had at least three people swerve by close enough to hit me with their mirror. I also go honked at twice.
All of this despite the fact I was in a clearly marked bike lane for the whole ride. As much as I like riding it's not worth being uncomfortable, extremely nervous and almost run over the entire time.

EDIT: vvv No! Actually, yes. I am pretty jealous.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 8, 2014

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Jealous, much? :smug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

KARMA! posted:

Jealous, much? :smug:

On the other hand, the roads suck here for motorcycling.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Fun trip with a fun passenger. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960174

As a BMW owner , my favorite part is

quote:

Outside were several motorcyclists, all clad in HD gear and all having a good time. Three more pullrf up, scowling at the world as they do their vest-clad Charles Bronson stern-and-forbidding routine. The tough guy thing is foreign to me. If not for my full-face helmet the whole world would notice that I grin and laugh as I ride. Not these three. One took a look at my protective gear and scowled even more.

“If I was so afraid of riding that I had to wear that poo poo, I’d give it up,” he announces to the world in a disdainful tone.

“If I rode as slow as you,” I responded, “I wouldn’t need any gear.”
YEAH
SUCK IT HARLEY

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Fun trip with a fun passenger. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960174

YEAH
SUCK IT HARLEY

and then the whole parking lot clapped and the bitches jumped off the backs of the HDs to give me blowies the end

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman
I don't understand p.o.'s , replaced the rotor to hopefully clear up some ignition problems . Well the woodruff key was non existent, how do you let that happen ?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

YEAH
SUCK IT HARLEY

not bad for an on the spot witty retort, but the most appropriate response to a comment like that is to roll one's eyes and make the "wanker" gesture with one's hand. Try it some time, feels good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have done that, while riding, at people driving tarted up rice rockets trying to look cool. It's like watching the anger of a toddler.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

I have done that, while riding, at people driving tarted up rice rockets trying to look cool. It's like watching the anger of a toddler.

I have a question about that. Why does anyone put those rubber Mohawk things on their helmets?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sometimes looking like an enraged cockatiel is part of the allure of riding.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Chichevache posted:

I have a question about that. Why does anyone put those rubber Mohawk things on their helmets?

Because my rubber pigtails had a lot of road grime and needed a bath.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've done jazz hands at an angry driver who honked at me. Dude was confused as gently caress.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When someone does something stupid in front of me, I just like to give them the Elvis point and stare at them as I ride by.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I just do the look, but most of the time I see a face profile staring at a screen.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Chichevache posted:

I asked a guy that once, and the answer was "visibility" Which I suppose is true enough?

It's popular enough that we have a whole club dedicated to it here. http://www.mohawkryderz.com/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't see the functional difference in visibility between 'hey look a guy on a bike' and 'hey look a fuckwit on a bike'.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

I don't see the functional difference in visibility between 'hey look a guy on a bike' and 'hey look a fuckwit on a bike'.

A fuckwit on a bike with a mohawk prosthetic screams "AVOID ME IN TRAFFIC!"

:haw: http://www.mohawkryderz.com/?page_id=2

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nsaP posted:

I just do the look, but most of the time I see a face profile staring at a screen.
Riding through Utah, a woman on the interstate cut me off kinda close as she was trying to merge into the fast lane with me. I honked, she pulled back over to the right, I sped up along side her and looked at her and she waved and mouthed "sorry" and I waved back. Lovely people in Utah.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

A fuckwit on a bike with a mohawk prosthetic screams "AVOID ME IN TRAFFIC!"

:haw: http://www.mohawkryderz.com/?page_id=2

Ryde it like you stole it…

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Slavvy posted:

Most of the helmet hawks I see are hi-viz colors, which is what I figured helped.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Also, red does not mean do circles in the intersection. Just stop and obey traffic signals like the rest of us.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hot sauce posted:

Also, red does not mean do circles in the intersection. Just stop and obey traffic signals like the rest of us.

AWWW YISSSSSSSSS Bring on the 90 page bicyclist rage derail.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Been a while https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvV8ugiSeaM

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Unsurprisingly, this is from Top Gear. The video has him hearing "Cut the green one! The green one!" over the radio.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That was such a fantastic segment. There were a few more videos they made as well.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
I'm massively pro cycle and it's incredibly rare I get annoyed (though I don't live in London), but god drat the red light thing does my fruit in. I just can't fathom the mentality that thinks it's okay.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

hermand posted:

I'm massively pro cycle and it's incredibly rare I get annoyed (though I don't live in London), but god drat the red light thing does my fruit in. I just can't fathom the mentality that thinks it's okay.

Same mentality that causes drivers to sail through reds.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Chris Knight posted:

Drivers don't typically run red lights in groups of 15-20 because they think they're Lance Armstrong. There's a try hard club around here that loves to dart through red lights like nervous migrating fowl.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
We have a large-ish student population where I live, and most of them doesn't have a drivers license. It shows.

The train of thought seems to be:

1) I'm on a bicycle or walking and thus I have no engine, therefor

2) traffic laws do not apply to me and

3) I'M INVINCIBLE

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

what, "can't break my rhythm, I'm on a record pace here", or "starting from a stop wastes so much energy, I need to maximize my efficiency!"?

Drivers sailing through reds is much more likely to be "The Kruger deal is paramount, do what you can to get them on board! Buy! Sell!" Or "Ooh mike just posted a new baby picture on facebook!" or "zzzzzzzz"

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBFFrsvgu1Y

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It was more in the "rules don't apply to me" mentality than anything else.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So which one of you dirty snitches told my Shiver I was seeing Triumphs behind it's back? Because it's developed an oil leak to try and emulate my bit on the side. Now instead of spending the second nice weekend of the year riding it I'll be crawling around trying to trace the source to make sure it's just "character" and not terminal.

(I spent the *first* nice weekend of the year cleaning it, which may, I admit, be the real reason it developed an oil leak, to punish my hubris)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But...but...they're the Honda of Italy :negative: