Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
That was an interesting Scapeshift decktech. The sideboard cards of Primal Command, Inferno Titan, Teferi, & Wormcoil were pretty cute. Also happy about the "In response to your electrolyze, I'll just Cryptic Command bounce your land and draw a card. Your electrolyze resolves."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Matthias Hunt saying "made" instead of "cast" or "play" is driving me loving crazy.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mr. Peepers posted:

Matthias Hunt saying "made" instead of "cast" or "play" is driving me loving crazy.

That's an old-school thing from tourney reports from 1997-2004. I hate it too, and I've never been able to decouple "made" from my gam-gam asking if I had to go "make" when I was 4, so I just have an image of like, Kai Budde tapping two islands, then climbing up on the feature match table, dropping trou and squatting, gritting his teeth for a minute and damned if a loving Voidmage Prodigy didn't appear on his battlefield.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Tharizdun posted:

That's an old-school thing from tourney reports from 1997-2004. I hate it too, and I've never been able to decouple "made" from my gam-gam asking if I had to go "make" when I was 4, so I just have an image of like, Kai Budde tapping two islands, then climbing up on the feature match table, dropping trou and squatting, gritting his teeth for a minute and damned if a loving Voidmage Prodigy didn't appear on his battlefield.

Well, it's certainly a poo poo card.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Tharizdun posted:

Well that explains why you keep 'making' posts.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

This GP makes me wish my LGS had a modern scene like at all. I still might build affinity and venture somewhere else for modern nights.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Tharizdun posted:

I think your personal issue is less an issue with MTG lingo and more a case of ye olde euphemismes being loving idiotic.

That reminds me, I heard someone more bluntly state that their deck/card 'dropped its pants and took a poo poo all over the table' when (good-naturedly) summarizing their domination of a game of EDH. I liked it, particularly since it slots in where your typical gamer might otherwise say 'raped' and it conveys the same tonally appropriate amount of vulgarity for the context whilst not risking seriously bothering anyone.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

This GP makes me wish my LGS had a modern scene like at all. I still might build affinity and venture somewhere else for modern nights.

This was the first time I had played Modern. I always thought the format was pretty bad but it was a lot of fun. It will be interesting to see if Wizards can give it the support they want to give it.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
drat, the turn 3 affinity poison kill or affinity would have died next turn.

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2

AegisP posted:

drat, the turn 3 affinity poison kill or affinity would have died next turn.

Yeah, that was awesome. The first turn was so fast.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AgentSythe posted:

Did anyone catch the whole list of the scapeshift deck they just did the decktech on?
Deck techs should be on SCG or youtube right now or very shortly.

Josh McClain apparently forgot to pay for this Slaughter Pact in the mirror match. They're on game 2 with about 3 minutes to play so they're trying to play too fast. Really disappointed the judges, players, and commentators missed it.

Korak fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 9, 2014

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Korak posted:

Deck techs should be on SCG or youtube right now or very shortly.

Josh McClain apparently forgot to pay for this Slaughter Pact in the mirror match. They're on game 2 with about 3 minutes to play so they're trying to play too fast. Really disappointed the judges, players, and commentators missed it.

He didn't forget. He paid for it in his upkeep and was fetching or something, then went to draw phase but also untapped accidentally after already paying for the pact. The commentators mentioned someone on the floor heard him say he was paying for his pact.

Edit: This Nick Miller guy is such a loving goober. FREE REUBEN

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 9, 2014

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

He also immediately realized his mistake and tapped his lands again. Come on guys, I know everyone is really eager to point out how sloppy everyone is on camera, but this is ridiculous.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Do you guys think offering a Kiora for an Elspeth is a reasonable trade? I know value wise they are within $1 of eachother, but save Maze's End I feel like Kiora never gets played so people tend to frown on her.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

morning wood posted:

Do you guys think offering a Kiora for an Elspeth is a reasonable trade? I know value wise they are within $1 of eachother, but save Maze's End I feel like Kiora never gets played so people tend to frown on her.

Doesn't bant walkers play her?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ended the day 10-5, a new GP personal best, with at least 2 of my match losses today attributed to fatigue. What a crazy tournament, a great experience; lots of stories were made this weekend.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Affinity player on camera at 12-2 gets a game and match loss because of missing a lifelink trigger on his own Vault Skirge. Bummer.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
We're just ignoring the whole fact that lifelink isn't actually a trigger, right?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Hahahaha... Chapin is amazing this weekend.

Mr. Peepers posted:

Affinity player on camera at 12-2 gets a game and match loss because of missing a lifelink trigger on his own Vault Skirge. Bummer.

I think the Affinity player was full on tilt for that game 3. He seemed to be falling apart there during the shuffling between G2 / G3. Sounds like he had a lot of judges called on him this weekend.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

In a bit of non-GP discussion.

Mark Rosewater's tumblr posted:

"tacocable posted:

Is bottom up design usually approached by thinking of doing a set where X-matters then going up from there? Is there a bottom up set where this wasn't really the case?
Bottom-up design means you start with something mechanical. It doesn’t have to be the focus of one aspect (“______ matters”). Ask me this again in six months.

Emphasis mine.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
Friedman is the one who paid for his pact, at which point McClain Slaughter Pacts his Noble Hierarch, he accidentally untaps during his upkeep, draws, and then retaps his lands because he shouldn't have untapped them.

But then on Josh McClain's turn he just draws and plays Ranger of Eos, never paying for his own pact.

~6:25 in http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/b/509548409

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
GP Richmond Modern
Archetype Day 2 Total
Melira Pod 6
Scapeshift 7
Merfolk 21
Jund 23
Kiki Pod 10
Tarmo-Twin 17
Storm 25
GB Rock 18

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Korak posted:

GP Richmond Modern
Archetype Day 2 Total
Melira Pod 6
Scapeshift 7
Merfolk 21
Jund 23
Kiki Pod 10
Tarmo-Twin 17
Storm 25
GB Rock 18

This does not come close to the ~450 people that qualified. Was this just the result of one (of the three) Day 1 tournaments?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AnacondaHL posted:

This does not come close to the ~450 people that qualified. Was this just the result of one (of the three) Day 1 tournaments?

This looks like the thing talking about undefeated decks with a 4 missing from Melira Pod.

Here's the full metagame breakdown for day 2

quote:

Archetype % of Field
Affinity 13.54%
Melira Pod 10.38%
Storm 5.64%
Jund 5.19%
Merfolk 4.74%
WUR Control 4.29%
GB Obliterator Rock 4.06%
UR Twin 4.06%
Tarmo-Twin 4.06%
WUR Midrange 3.61%
Hexproof Auras 3.39%
Big Zoo 3.16%
GB Rock 3.16%
Burn 2.93%
RG Tron 2.93%
Kiki Pod 2.26%
WUR Twin 2.26%
Ad Nauseam 2.03%
Living End 2.03%
Little Zoo 1.81%
Scapeshift 1.58%
8 Rax 1.35%
Infect 1.35%
WB Tokens 1.13%
4-Color Gifts 0.90%
UB Faeries 0.90%
Death and Taxes 0.68%
Soul Sisters 0.68%
UR Delver 0.68%
WG Aggro 0.68%
Blue Moon 0.45%
Junk 0.45%
Mono-Black 0.90%
Tin Fins (Reanimator) 0.45%
4-Color Zoo 0.23%
Dedgevine 0.23%
Domain Zoo 0.23%
Egg-Tron 0.23%
Elves 0.23%
Esper Mill 0.23%
Goblins 0.23%
Grixis Control 0.23%
Mono-Red Control 0.23%
WUR Delver 0.23%

kirtar fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 9, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AnacondaHL posted:

It's only dealing with those particular archtypes.

I called part of the Top 8: 2 Affinity, 1 Twin, 5 Pod(1 Kiki, rest are Melira.)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

What is that full-art card that Michael Sigrist is playing? Between Etched Champion and Signal Pest. It looks pretty sweet.

Apparently it's an Ornithopter.

Turns out it's a Memnite and I'm an idiot. I thought he was using normal Memnites which confused me.

VV: I know, I just can't resist the hype for Ducks Block. MaRo's tumblr is pretty good, or at least interesting, in general actually.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 9, 2014

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Serperoth posted:

In a bit of non-GP discussion.

He's said before that Huey block is a bottom-up design. He also said that there is something special with the block structure that caused problems.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Mr. Peepers posted:

Slightly confused, why would the penalty for that be so severe for something that harms the person with the Vault Skirge? Or is this the result of missing the trigger repeatedly over the course of a day?

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Serperoth posted:

What is that full-art card that Michael Sigrist is playing? Between Etched Champion and Signal Pest. It looks pretty sweet.

If he's playing affinity, I bet it's a Memnite.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Applebees posted:

He's said before that Huey block is a bottom-up design. He also said that there is something special with the block structure that caused problems.
The coolest rumor I saw was that they might do 4 sets, but release them much closer together or more extreme release two "competing" sets together. I really think they're missing having a set right before Christmas just from a business stand point.

AegisP posted:

Slightly confused, why would the penalty for that be so severe for something that harms the person with the Vault Skirge? Or is this the result of missing the trigger repeatedly over the course of a day?
They said he had racked up 3 separate warnings in just that one match, perhaps more during the day.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I pronounce Xenagos "Throatwobbler Mangrove"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Merfolk is the remaining undefeated deck... :allears:

I should've starting purchasing my merfolk staples with my store cred then :cripes:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Pros on twitter are talking about how messed up the software was for the tiebreakers on Day 2. Apparently since they split the event into three "different" events, when they reset everything on Day 2 this made people that were undefeated drop to say 60th place. Kibler is saying the match slips started with round 2. The more I'm reading the more this sounded like a clusterfuck much like Las Vegas had with people going I think 12-1-1 and not getting Top 8. Maybe they need to figure out a new formula for larger events. Would moving it to a Top 16 work better?

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Korak posted:

The more I'm reading the more this sounded like a clusterfuck much like Las Vegas had with people going I think 12-1-1 and not getting Top 8. Maybe they need to figure out a new formula for larger events. Would moving it to a Top 16 work better?

Their solution is that those people that are 13-2 or better but don't make top 8 still get Pro Tour invitations. A Grand Prix is really long, and they don't want to add another round.

Applebees fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 9, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Oh cool, Runed Halo went up over the weekend.

So when I bought the Mono White Enchantments prior to the PT, I paid 50 cents each for Porphyry Nodes, those are $5 each now, and now I got my 4 Runed Halos for $1.50 each and they're $8. Thanks Wizard Poker

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Boco_T posted:

Oh cool, Runed Halo went up over the weekend.

So when I bought the Mono White Enchantments prior to the PT, I paid 50 cents each for Porphyry Nodes, those are $5 each now, and now I got my 4 Runed Halos for $1.50 each and they're $8. Thanks Wizard Poker

Well gently caress me, now getting those pieces will be a pain in the rear end. I couldn't watch Day 2, what caused the Halos to go up? Was it really Chapin's seminar that caused the price to go up?

neetengie fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 10, 2014

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Boxn posted:

Well gently caress me, now getting those pieces will be a pain in the rear end. I couldn't watch Day 2, what caused the Halos to go up?

Patrick Chapin talked about how he thought it was underplayed and was really good in this format. It wasn't played in the tournament as far as I could tell.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
So I went 2-3 with my affinity build, but Affinity in the finals assures me that it is still relevant and I just need to be a better player hehe.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I've been playing my mono-red Elementals Firebreathing combo on MTGO. Lots of fun :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Applebees posted:

It wasn't played in the tournament as far as I could tell.

I played it :colbert:

• Locked thread