Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

what if terrorists were gonna hijack it but then it had a mechanical failure and crashed on its own

"NOBODY FUCKIN MOVE WE HAVE BOMB WE ARE THE CAPTAIN NOW"

*engine falls off*

"um"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Woden posted:

Even in Australia we call off searches when it gets dark, I don't know maybe it's just a regional thing?

I dunno maybe it's harder to find poo poo in the dark JUST MAYBE

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

I prefer a quiet station,
thank you.
They should fit planes with like a clapper or make it so you can dial it up from your home phone and listen for the ring

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Hugh Malone posted:

why would smugglers bring down the plane idgi thats dumb

e: seriously, surprised no one else brought up that possibility.

Turns out that cocaine was a plastique butt bomb.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

Hugh Malone posted:

e: seriously, surprised no one else brought up that possibility.

It's listed as a possibility on Airliners, but many people dismissed it because drug trafficking carries a death sentence in Asian countries. Also, if you're bringing drugs, you don't want to have a bunch of connections like these guys—just more chances for the drugs to be sniffed out. They might some other kind of smugglers, though. Or they could also just be illegal immigrants. Supposedly, if they had no official travel documentation at all then they couldn't get deported from their destination.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

then why did you say it

ps nice edit

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Feranon posted:

what if terrorists were gonna hijack it but then it had a mechanical failure and crashed on its own

"NOBODY FUCKIN MOVE WE HAVE BOMB WE ARE THE CAPTAIN NOW"

*engine falls off*

"um"

well isn't this nice

CerebralAssassin
Nov 16, 2005
Oh yea..... I'm THAT important

Woden posted:

Even in Australia we call off searches when it gets dark, I don't know maybe it's just a regional thing?

Well of course you do in Australia. All that murderous poo poo you have would be doubly terrifying at night when you can't see anything.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Hopefully they can find this thing soon :f5:

The same source as that image said it can survive 6000m depth and 3400g's of force, so it must be in decent shape.

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014

samizdat posted:

It's listed as a possibility on Airliners, but many people dismissed it because drug trafficking carries a death sentence in Asian countries. Also, if you're bringing drugs, you don't want to have a bunch of connections like these guys—just more chances for the drugs to be sniffed out. They might some other kind of smugglers, though. Or they could also just be illegal immigrants. Supposedly, if they had no official travel documentation at all then they couldn't get deported from their destination.

There are easier ways to go to Europe though. I mean, whether you smuggle drugs or you're a simple illegal immigrant, I guess taking a direct flight to Amsterdam would be easier (unless there's no direct flight from Malaysia, but then, you can go through Singapore instead of Beijing).
Still kind of weird. Oh well, maybe illegal immigrants are not clever after all.

chefvinny
Apr 5, 2009

FullLeatherJacket posted:

well isn't this nice

...Then the Foo Fighters came at them....

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

chefvinny posted:

...Then the Foo Fighters came at them....

They played a pretty good show before downing the plane.

Then the Bermuda triangle got involved.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
FYI

Foo Fighters

Five more jokes about the band would be super funny too though

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
If aircraft "black boxes" are indestructible, why can't the whole plane be made from the same material? Really makes u think.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Make airplanes less likely to fall out of the sky by driving them around on the ground instead imo

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
what if instead of runway airports had big treadmills for the planes to take off from

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I hope this plane makes a surprise return and rises up from under the field during this year's superbowl while the Foo Fighters are playing the half time show.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
what if the terrorists didn't blow up the plane, but just diverted it and stole it and landed it somewhere else. maybe they dumped some fuel over the ocean to make it look like it crashed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Knight Corgi posted:

There are easier ways to go to Europe though. I mean, whether you smuggle drugs or you're a simple illegal immigrant, I guess taking a direct flight to Amsterdam would be easier (unless there's no direct flight from Malaysia, but then, you can go through Singapore instead of Beijing).
Still kind of weird. Oh well, maybe illegal immigrants are not clever after all.

KLM does have a direct flight from KL to Amsterdam, and there are multiple other airlines (including Malaysia Airlines) which have direct routes to Schengen countries, including a direct flight to Frankfurt which was the final destination of one of the travellers using a stolen passport.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
i hope it turns out the plane is fine but actually we all died

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
In all seriousness though, would it be possible to hijack the plane, turn off any sorta of beacon that transmits its location, and fly it low enough or something to not be detected by radar?

btw, 24 is coming back soon

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The plane never existed.

This is all the hallucination of an air safety inspector, haunted by a crash he failed to discover the cause of 15 years ago.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
The answer is obviously Sky Pirates. They flew it into the treasure hold of their giant pirate plane.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Knight Corgi posted:

That was not necessarily their objective. By having tickets to Europe meant they would not need Chinese visas. China gives you something like 3 days for free if you have tickets out of there booked. So China would let them through if they arrived. Getting a long term visa for a fake passport is extremely hard and they would have been caught. Their plan could have been getting into China with fake European passports by simply getting a quick temp transfer visa at the airport. Having tickets to Europe allowed them an opportunity to do that.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 9, 2014

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.

sether01 posted:

In all seriousness though, would it be possible to hijack the plane, turn off any sorta of beacon that transmits its location, and fly it low enough or something to not be detected by radar?

btw, 24 is coming back soon

yeah you could do that but then what? turn off the transponder, fly below radar and... plunge into the ocean? land on a secret runway in the side of a volcano? the fact that there hasn't been a 777 reported slamming into the side of a skyscraper in Beijing sort of suggests the plane hasn't been hijacked and they would have run out of fuel by now if they were just buzzing around in it.

people travelling on stolen passports are more likely to be illegal migrants than terrorists and the fact that there happened to be people on this flight using false documents just shows how common the practice is. add on top of that it is extremely unusual, statistically speaking, for a plane to be brought down by terrorists, as opposed to the myriad of mechanical, structural and human error scenarios to choose from, and its looking remote that this was a terror attack.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Skipjack posted:

yeah you could do that but then what? turn off the transponder, fly below radar and... plunge into the ocean? land on a secret runway in the side of a volcano?

I know the chances of that actually happening are slim to none, but yeah. I mean, if they could actually steal a plane,land it, then refuel it, that would give them the element of suprise of where they could crash it into, we wouldn't know where it landed at and where it's gonna fly into

chefvinny
Apr 5, 2009

sether01 posted:

I know the chances of that actually happening are slim to none, but yeah. I mean, if they could actually steal a plane,land it, then refuel it, that would give them the element of suprise of where they could crash it into, we wouldn't know where it landed at and where it's gonna fly into

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N844AA#Ben_Charles_Padilla

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It was hijacked by DB Cooper, back from retirement

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster

sether01 posted:

anywhere worth flying it into is going to have radar out the rear end that will detect it within a hundred miles

Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW
I wonder what the Italian got for his passport? probably money.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

ENSENDA CURES MAIL posted:

anywhere worth flying it into is going to have radar out the rear end that will detect it within a hundred miles

I vaguely remember something about airplanes being hijacked and flown into important buildings. That might not be the most implausible aspect of that scenario.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Skipjack posted:

yeah you could do that but then what? turn off the transponder, fly below radar and... plunge into the ocean? land on a secret runway in the side of a volcano? the fact that there hasn't been a 777 reported slamming into the side of a skyscraper in Beijing sort of suggests the plane hasn't been hijacked and they would have run out of fuel by now if they were just buzzing around in it.

people travelling on stolen passports are more likely to be illegal migrants than terrorists and the fact that there happened to be people on this flight using false documents just shows how common the practice is. add on top of that it is extremely unusual, statistically speaking, for a plane to be brought down by terrorists, as opposed to the myriad of mechanical, structural and human error scenarios to choose from, and its looking remote that this was a terror attack.

north korea announces unveiling of glorious 7777 heavenplane

Jacobeus
Jan 9, 2013
All of the passengers and the crew simultaneously decided that they would defect from their various countries and took the plane to Antarctica or something.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
I wonder how many passengers flying with stolen passports a typical Malaysian flight has

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Jacobeus posted:

All of the passengers and the crew simultaneously decided that they would defect from their various countries and took the plane to Antarctica or something.

And Liam Neeson will star in a movie about it. Non-Stop 2: Antarctica.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jacobeus posted:

The passengers decided to form Outer Heaven with the plane as their Mother Base.

aeternum
Sep 3, 2003

people keep referencing Lost but

Daimo posted:

Obviously.

this is the true answer.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

malaysa airlines stock dropped 10% so far today

i thought it would be more

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

sether01 posted:

In all seriousness though, would it be possible to hijack the plane, turn off any sorta of beacon that transmits its location,
Actually someone did this back in 2001. I think it happened in September.

sether01 posted:

and fly it low enough or something to not be detected by radar?
No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I just watched the press conference with a spokesman from Malaysia. 20 minutes that boiled down to "We don't have a clue, your guess is as good as ours."

• Locked thread