Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Berries take way too long to grow. Gimme my Kee mutation already, dammit. <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Toraen posted:

Yes, turn order is decided before the mega evolution occurs. This is great for mons like Venusaur and Garchomp, whose base forms are faster than their mega, and terrible for others like Banette (who would really appreciate having the Prankster boost on its opening turn but doesn't :().

Venusaur and M-Venusaur have the same base speed.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Because it requires set up. With weather no longer being permanent, it could easily mean you'd have an unusable two turn attack.

It also doesn't help that two turns of Giga Drain or Energy Ball are actually more powerful than the setup+attack of SolarBeam.

Solar Beam on a Mega Charizard Y is pretty fun though :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Oraculum Animi posted:

Venusaur and M-Venusaur have the same base speed.

Chlorophyll Venusaur is faster than Mega Venusaur in strong sunlight.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

HereComesEverybody posted:

I'm about to embark on my first Pokemon journey: my roommate found his old Gameboy Color with a copy of Yellow in it, and I decided I would finally play the game I wanted so badly when I was a kid.

My question is, what is the most absolutely overpowered team/beefed-up single Pokemon I can get in Generation 1? I get the sense that Pokemon games aren't particularly hard to begin with, but I'd really just like to smash my way through the game with minimal resistance. I just beat Misty, if that makes any difference.

Use Lapras.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

You spelled Alakazam wrong.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

Ohh ffuck. I just trained this breloom to level 50 before I realized it can't relearn spore. loving A.

Anybody need a worthless level 50 breloom?

edit: loving seriously? I need to train a shroomish to level 45, teach it spore, then breed it, or it's impossible to get mach punch and spore on the same pokemon. Bulbapedia didn't list it on breloom's egg moves, so I didn't think I needed to breed it on beforehand. This is bullshit.

edit: wait, I guess I should be able to relearn mach punch with a heart scale after he evolves, right? Because it appears on breloom's level up list?

Please someone help confirm this because I do NOT want to accidentally level this thing up wrong twice in a row.

Just get it up to level 45, learn Spore, evolve it, and then use the relearner to get Mach Punch. Just be careful not to delete Spore either, because Breloom won't be able to relearn it later. Only Shroomish can learn Spore, not Breloom.

The reason you ran into trouble is that the move relearner can only teach moves that your Pokemon's species - not their evolutionary line, but just that one particular species - can learn. It's just that usually, every member of an evolutionary line has the same moves, with maybe the evolved form getting a few more moves added to the movelist in addition to all the moves the rest of the evolutionary line learned. In cases like Shroomish where a Pokemon learns a move but their evolved form doesn't, the evolved form can't learn the move because it's not on its movelist, so it can't relearn the move either - the game doesn't check the movelist of the Pokemon it evolved from.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Slowbro and Snorlax learn Amnesia, which was completely broken in Gen 1. A Slowbro with Surf, Amnesia, Psychic, and Rest or Blizzard will destroy the entire game.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
HOLY poo poo I just got wondertraded a shiny Yamask :stare:

THANK YOU, WHOEVER DID THAT

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Solar Beam on a Mega Charizard Y is pretty fun though :v:
Said everyone

I'm having a lot of fun with Ursaring right now, Guts + Sleep Talk + Facade = amazing

My latest battle if anyone's bored:
4XPW-WWWW-WWW6-2V6B
I used some pokemon you don't see in battles very often

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 10, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What is a good doubles team for Battle Maison? I have no idea how to effectively double battle.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Just get 6 Lapras all with water absorb and surf, surf, surf, surf

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012
I've been doing Mega Charizard Y with a chlorophyll Sawsbuck for Doubles. Can't say it's a perfect team but it's a lot of fun.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What is a good doubles team for Battle Maison? I have no idea how to effectively double battle.

This is the team that took me to 89 wins.

Kisses ~*<3*~ (Jellicent) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Will-O-Wisp
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam

MC Pants (Scrafty) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Crunch
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab
- Fake Out

The Grinch (Abomasnow) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SAtk / 72 Atk
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Protect

Fight Club (Marowak) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Bonemerang
- Rock Slide
- Substitute
- Protect

Just Fake Out whichever poke you think poses a bigger threat to Jellicent, set up Trick Room, and blast them away. Jellicent is almost impossible to OHKO with it's healthpool so you're guaranteed to get Trick Room up. Blizzard spam got me most of the way there. Switch in Marowak to completely shut down any electric attacks .

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

2MB posted:

This is the team that took me to 89 wins.

Hahah, one of my Scraftys has the exact same name.

I just got much further in Super Singles with Mandibuzz, Gastrodon and Zangoose than I ever did before (just 33 wins, still better than usual). Mandibuzz and Gastrodon can be complete wrecking balls, but Zangoose needs more support to work well. Also holy poo poo GF please buff his speed. He's supposed to be fast, and a goddamn Tentacruel can outspeed me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nevileen posted:

HOLY poo poo I just got wondertraded a shiny Yamask :stare:

THANK YOU, WHOEVER DID THAT

Hey man, dude breeding for a shiny Yamask here.

I hate your whole existence.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

This is the team someone used to get 1850 wins... :stare:

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Hey man, dude breeding for a shiny Yamask here.

I hate your whole existence.

:smug:

But seriously, my condolences. I know that pain all too well :smith: I was actually in the middle of offloading my breeding fodder when I got him.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Saith posted:

That's pretty insane, but this looks like it kinda takes the fun out of it. If you use flowchart tactics to such a degree and have enemy behavior down to a science, it turns more into a number crunching simulator. It's as if everyone's Poison Heal Gliscor. That being said, that Aron looks pretty cool.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

In the midst of breeding for shinies, and filling out my boxes with All The Pokemon, and I'm firmly of the opinion that Game Freak really needs to just start letting us buy all the Evolutionary Stones. Roughly two weeks straight of fighting Inver for nothing but berries, me being pretty rear end at Super Training, and the PokeMiles club game also giving me pretty much nothing but berries and stones I can already buy, and I'm about ready to punt my 3DS out a window.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

In the midst of breeding for shinies, and filling out my boxes with All The Pokemon, and I'm firmly of the opinion that Game Freak really needs to just start letting us buy all the Evolutionary Stones. Roughly two weeks straight of fighting Inver for nothing but berries, me being pretty rear end at Super Training, and the PokeMiles club game also giving me pretty much nothing but berries and stones I can already buy, and I'm about ready to punt my 3DS out a window.

I'm working on the same thing, I've got like five Pokemon waiting for evolutionary stones I can't get any other way than Inver (or Super Training, but I haven't gotten around to that yet). Nothing agianst inverse Battles, if I had to grind anything I' glad it's that, but having to rely on sheer chance to evolve my mons is pretty annoying.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I just completed my National Dex today, and for all the rare stone evolutions I just went to the GTS and traded my Nidoqueen for Nidoking, and then Clefable, etc. The unique held item evolutions are pretty easy to trade for this way, too.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Saith posted:

"Battle Mason" This is poison to my ears. Might give this a shot though, thanks!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Chill Penguin posted:

I just completed my National Dex today, and for all the rare stone evolutions I just went to the GTS and traded my Nidoqueen for Nidoking, and then Clefable, etc. The unique held item evolutions are pretty easy to trade for this way, too.

I've got a complete National Pokedex, including all the event Legendaries. I'm mostly just filling my down time with my pipe dream of having at least one of each Pokemon in my boxes, and trying to get one of each non-event Shiny as well. Even with the GTS, it's just annoying that they make everything but Fire, Leaf, and Water stones such a chore to get. There's really absolutely no reason that there needs to be only one or two of all the other stones guaranteed per game, and any others coming from random chance, or hoping you find someone to trade you one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nevileen posted:

:smug:

But seriously, my condolences. I know that pain all too well :smith: I was actually in the middle of offloading my breeding fodder when I got him.

He's one of my favorites and my fav shiny forms.(Whimsicott's Shiny should have had Red horns instead of blue, dammit!)

Crazy dream of mine is a Mega-Cofagrigus where he opens the coffin and swaps his Attacks with his Defenses.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Getting the evolutionary stones is a bitch. Especially newer ones like the Dusk Stone. It would be nice if the Postgame town just had a store that sold all the evolutionary stones, trade items, and the like.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

Getting the evolutionary stones is a bitch. Especially newer ones like the Dusk Stone. It would be nice if the Postgame town just had a store that sold all the evolutionary stones, trade items, and the like.

But that's what ~friends~ are for!

:suicide:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The evolutionary stones were buyable in Black City, although unlocking them for sale was time-consuming in B2 and total bullshit in B1. Doesn't help if you want to have a perfect Chandelure or something, since items can't be transferred between generations, but if you just want to fill your Pokedex or make a living dex or something, just evolve them in Gen 5 and Poke Transport them up to Bank.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He's one of my favorites and my fav shiny forms.(Whimsicott's Shiny should have had Red horns instead of blue, dammit!)

Crazy dream of mine is a Mega-Cofagrigus where he opens the coffin and swaps his Attacks with his Defenses.

Oh yeah, mine too-which is why I basically was staring in shock when I got him. He's got a neutral nature and I haven't checked his IV's yet, but it looks like he was wild-caught. It's not so bad in my opinion since I tend to play pretty casually/randomly and I can still do something with him, but you're better off breeding for one with a more optimal nature and spread. Also, you can name him-my poor little shiny will never have a name :smith:

But oh man, I want that so bad!!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nevileen posted:

Oh yeah, mine too-which is why I basically was staring in shock when I got him. He's got a neutral nature and I haven't checked his IV's yet, but it looks like he was wild-caught. It's not so bad in my opinion since I tend to play pretty casually/randomly and I can still do something with him, but you're better off breeding for one with a more optimal nature and spread. Also, you can name him-my poor little shiny will never have a name :smith:

But oh man, I want that so bad!!
I wish they'd let you nickname a Pokemon you got in a trade. Even if they limited it to Pokemon that don't have a nickname already, it would be great.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

I wish they'd let you nickname a Pokemon you got in a trade. Even if they limited it to Pokemon that don't have a nickname already, it would be great.

Well, I can understand not wanting to get rid of named pokemon in trades, but yeah-it seems silly to me that they won't let you nickname a pokemon that doesn't actually have one...unless it has something to do with the code. :v:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but will there be any issues with transferring Gen 4 Pokemon to Gen 5 on a 3DS if the 2 3DS' come from different regions?

CelestialCookie
Oct 23, 2012

I See Dead People
This is a newbie question but I still want to ask it - how do you find out your Friend Safari type? I don't think I could find it by myself.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

CelestialCookie posted:

This is a newbie question but I still want to ask it - how do you find out your Friend Safari type? I don't think I could find it by myself.

I don't think anyone has figured out yet how to calculate what Safari type you have. Only option is asking someone to friend you, and asking them.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
So I really want to make Klinklang work since it's one of my favorite Pokemon. The obvious set seems to be Gear Grind/Shift Gear/Wild Charge/Return with 252 Attack/252 Speed and an Adamant nature. Of course to really make a good 5 IV one I'd need access to a Klink with Clear Body and some good Dittos (or one really good 6IV Ditto). I love breeding Pokemon but why are so many of my favorites genderless?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You around right now, Plasbad?

I'll give you a 6iv Ditto.
My FC is 3754-7853-5148.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
After watching TPP and re-playing Emerald, I broke down, bought a 3DS XL, Mario Kart 7, and got the free Pokemon X.

It's amazing. Everything I'd imagined from a 3D-rendered Pokemon and more. Even though at first I was slightly annoyed that the overworld didn't make use of the 3DS's 3D effect, now that I think about it it's probably a good design decision and also reduces eye strain. I'm realizing that 3D is kind of a gimmick anyways.

But yeah. Amazing game. It's like I'm actually in the Pokemon world.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

sincx posted:

After watching TPP and re-playing Emerald, I broke down, bought a 3DS XL, Mario Kart 7, and got the free Pokemon X.

Can you elaborate on this promotion? My buddy very recently got an XL and bought Mario Kart 7 yesterday, how can he get in on this?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

The White Dragon posted:

Can you elaborate on this promotion? My buddy very recently got an XL and bought Mario Kart 7 yesterday, how can he get in on this?

Just create a Club Nintendo account and register both the XL (need serial number on back of XL AND pin number on flyer in the package) and Mario Kart 7 (pin number on flyer in game case), and you'll get a download code automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

sincx posted:

Just create a Club Nintendo account and register both the XL (need serial number on back of XL AND pin number on flyer in the package) and Mario Kart 7 (pin number on flyer in game case), and you'll get a download code automatically.

Actually, he just needs the pin on the flyer. All registering the serial does is extend your warranty.

• Locked thread