Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

I can see how he comes off as unsympathetic, what with the way he tries to tell the cops all about ~his startup~ in order to "connect" with them, and upon discovering that they can't afford to live in the very bowels of Silicon Valley, essentially concludes that his treatment must be the result of poor cops committing class warfare against rich communities. He's clearly an upper-middle-class white person who was so incredibly unaware of his white privilege that he doesn't realize this is how the cops treat everyone that isn't a rich white person, and he comes off as completely insufferable because of it. I agree that the cops shouldn't be able to mistreat people merely because they're being obnoxious or annoying, but the writer is completely unlikeable and that makes it very difficult to really connect with his story.

But it will be much easier for people like him to connect to, so that's good I guess. Get the rich on the 'gently caress the po-lice' side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MechPlasma posted:

https://medium.com/p/9f53ef6a1c10/

Came across this. Certainly not as bad as some other cases here, but still pretty drat horrific.

This guy is such a doofus this reads like a Mr. Bean sketch. When encountering police treat them like a school yard bully 4 grades older than you. You can't win. Just keep your head down and let them get bored; then go tell the teacher. Fighting back or trying to assert yourself is just going to get you an extra noogie.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/02/private-prison-racket-103893.html#ixzz2uIOwxIMR

Nice piece on private prisons in Politico, of all places.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Crossposting from the SCOTUS thread:

The Court has granted cert in Holt v. Hobbs, a case challenging the no-beard policy of the Arkansas Department of Corrections violates either the First Amendment or the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act (RLUIPA) and whether a 1/2-inch beard would satisfy the security goals of the policy. If the cert petition looks a bit strange, it's because Holt is representing himself and handwrote the whole thing.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

I found it interesting towards the end when the article made the point that private operators need to diversify their business.

I work for a UK private operator, and various custodial services are out to tender at the moment. The article mentioned electronic tagging, which has recently become a national scandal when it was uncovered that G4S and Serco were charging the Government for putting tags on dead people... I'm not really defending the private sector very well

Fortunately I don't work for G4S or Serco and I am quite proud to work for the company I work for (that's probably an exaggeration) but the point is I read a lot of articles, similar to the one you have just shown me and it comes across that private prisons in the US are generally seen as a terrible thing - whereas I think of the work we do in my company and on the whole I think we do some really good work! I guess there are some good eggs out there is the rather unimportant point I'm trying to make...

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

MechPlasma posted:

https://medium.com/p/9f53ef6a1c10/

Came across this. Certainly not as bad as some other cases here, but still pretty drat horrific.

It's probably been said before, but how much exposure would this story had gotten if he were...of another ethnic persuasion? Sure as poo poo whatever charges were tacked on wouldn't have been dropped, either.

quote:

He's clearly an upper-middle-class white person who was so incredibly unaware of his white privilege that he doesn't realize this is how the cops treat everyone that isn't a rich white person, and he comes off as completely insufferable because of it.

I always believed that sooner or later, the abuses visited upon the usual suspects (minorities, the poor, etc.) by law enforcement will eventually reached the more privileged among us. Seeing the cops manhandle and jail some geeky white entrepreneur guy over nothing doesn't surprise me in the least.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Sounds like if a person without any medical training wasn't trying to interfere at the scene of an accident after emergency personnel arrived he would've been just fine.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

angry armadillo posted:

I guess there are some good eggs out there is the rather unimportant point I'm trying to make...

The U.S. prison system is, as a whole, absolutely god awful. Our justice system is far beyond draconian and forgot what "justice" meant a long time ago. Non-violent criminals with minor drug charges have the potential to go away for decades. The prison population is exploding and private prisons are cropping up everywhere to ease the burden. The problem is that these are for-profit prisons owned by people who are only interested in income. The laws and enforcement are lax at best and, worse yet, the private prisons are notorious for being worse than our already horrifying public ones.

Remember that in the U.S. it's legal and perfectly OK to use prison populations as literal slave labor. This is in a society that contains many people that will cheer and applaud if they hear that somebody in jail got raped or murdered or was the victim of police brutality. Our society treats prison rape and violence as jokes rather than serious issues that need dealt with.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Just wait, the perverse incentives will make your "good eggs" go rotten.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Arakan posted:

Sounds like if a person without any medical training wasn't trying to interfere at the scene of an accident after emergency personnel arrived he would've been just fine.

I would hope you agree that we don't need to arrest someone who appears to be assisting in good faith at the scene of an accident, no? Is it insufficient to ask them to step aside?

It's a little bizarre to me that anyone would think the conversation that he stated he had with the police at all justified his treatment. I didn't at any point notice him being insulting or uncooperative, but maybe I missed something. Maybe this is STDH, but otherwise it's pretty awful.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Eletriarnation posted:

Is it insufficient to ask them to step aside?

quote:

She turned to me and abruptly said that I was not needed as a witness and should leave immediately. I told her we were headed home, just across the way, when my friend and I encountered the accident; and that I’d recently broken my elbow in a similar bike accident here and deeply cared about the outcome.

Doesn't leave

quote:

Officer Kaur shouted at me to cross the street. It was very sudden and I was, admittedly, in shock. I stammered that I intended to head home, but that my friend was over there. I pointed at Ben against the wall, and said I’d like to take him home with me.

Still doesn't leave

Here he has clearly been told twice to leave the scene by the first responders, which he refuses to do. His justifications are not valid excuses to get in the way of people who have actually received training to treat accident victims. Certainly the treatment at the jail is something to get worked up about, but his arrest seems pretty justified since he refused to leave the area on his own.

Also this part is ridiculous:

quote:

“Where am I?” she kept asking. She was lucky to have been wearing a helmet.

quote:

Ben was still supporting Rebecca’s back when Sgt. Espinoza and Officer Gabriel grabbed him from behind without warning, putting him in an arm lock and jerked him backwards over the pavement. They told him sternly that he had to leave now that trained medical professionals had arrived, implying that he was interfering and justifying their violent actions.

She has an obvious head injury. Is Ben a trained medical professional who determined her head injury wasn't serious and that she also didn't have any serious neck injuries before propping her up by her back? If not then he absolutely was interfering and should be thankful he didn't injure her any further. You should not be moving accident victims with head injuries around unless you know what you're doing jesus loving christ.

Arakan fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 10, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arakan posted:

Doesn't leave

Still doesn't leave

Here he has clearly been told twice to leave the scene by the first responders, which he refuses to do. His justifications are not valid excuses to get in the way of people who have actually received training to treat accident victims. Certainly the treatment at the jail is something to get worked up about, but his arrest seems pretty justified since he refused to leave the area on his own.

She has an obvious head injury. Is Ben a trained medical professional who determined her head injury wasn't serious and that she also didn't have any serious neck injuries before propping her up by her back? If not then he absolutely was interfering and should be thankful he didn't injure her any further. You should not be moving accident victims with head injuries around unless you know what you're doing jesus loving christ.

These are all good points, and one's opinion of one's own intoxication usually tends to be a little off from reality. You are also correct that the main focus of people's attention should be his treatment at the jail, because that's the shocking/bad part. Frankly, the facts of his arrest are irrelevant because he really shouldn't have been treated that way no matter what he'd been arrested for.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Arakan posted:

The police have other tools at their disposal to deal with slightly obnoxious drunks. At every turn the officers involved took steps that increased the tension and increased the chance of some kind of incident occurring. This is a persistent and systematic problem with the culture within the Seattle PD that has been note by several outside groups, including the Justice Department, which has ordered reforms be carried out. In several notable case needlessly confrontational behavior by the Seattle PD has led to lethal shootings that most likely could have been avoided.

The arrest and everything that followed served no purpose. It cost taxpayers money to process the drunk who was then released, it opened the city to a potential lawsuit and it increased the sense of distance and disconnect between law enforcement and the local community to the point that people are espousing a philosophy of avoiding any interaction with police whenever possible to minimize the potential of being hassled or abused.

edit: That's not to say that I think the writers narrative wasn't recounted in a self serving way, but the police generally have options beyond 'allow drunks to interfere with medical treatment' and 'slap them in cuffs and send them to holding'.

cafel fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 10, 2014

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Arakan posted:

Doesn't leave

Still doesn't leave

Granted, the narrator was a dumbass and I missed the full extent of that. The cops were right to react quickly to tell him to get out of the way, and to be irritated when he didn't. I just don't think that the way they treated him after he was out of the way was productive or warranted at all.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 10, 2014

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Eletriarnation posted:

Granted, the narrator was a dumbass and I missed the full extent of that. The cops were right to react quickly to tell him to get out of the way, and to be irritated when he didn't. I just don't think that the way they treated him after he was out of the way was productive or warranted at all.

Absolutely. But I have a feeling that even if were in a Just World, with a perfectly benevolent and reasonable police force, that guy would still be writing that article with an entitled attitude and wondering why the rules still apply to him.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cafel posted:

The police have other tools at their disposal to deal with slightly obnoxious drunks. At every turn the officers involved took steps that increased the tension and increased the chance of some kind of incident occurring. This is a persistent and systematic problem with the culture within the Seattle PD that has been note by several outside groups, including the Justice Department, which has ordered reforms be carried out. In several notable case needlessly confrontational behavior by the Seattle PD has led to lethal shootings that most likely could have been avoided.

Police are literally taught confrontation escalation as a problem solving skill, and to always be the biggest voice in the room and in control of the situation. If you challenge the police, you either need to be ready to throw your life away and try to kill them or you need to realize that you're going to be made to submit eventually.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PT6A posted:

These are all good points, and one's opinion of one's own intoxication usually tends to be a little off from reality. You are also correct that the main focus of people's attention should be his treatment at the jail, because that's the shocking/bad part. Frankly, the facts of his arrest are irrelevant because he really shouldn't have been treated that way no matter what he'd been arrested for.

And none of it is a violation of California penal code, so he shouldn't have been arrested.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

nm posted:

And none of it is a violation of California penal code, so he shouldn't have been arrested.

402(a). I'm sure there are others but penal code is long and boring.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Arakan posted:

402(a). I'm sure there are others but penal code is long and boring.

No. Given that he is already there, he hasn't gone to or stopped at a scene. It also requires "impeding" which he didn't do. It also doesn't fall under PC148, just to cut you off there.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

You can read my previous posts if you want an explanation, no point in derailing further. 148 fits a bit better though you're right about that.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
It's pretty surreal seeing someone defend the actions of the police here as the correct and right thing to do, when I've seen the police in my country handle the aftermath of a loving bar brawl with a much softer touch... I think the police are a bit hosed up here too, but oh boy do you have it bad in the US or what?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Who wants to read more crimes against humanity? You do!

http://www.vice.com/read/elko-county-nevada-forces-inmates-to-pay-for-jailhouse-meals

I miss HidingFromGoro. He hasn't posted on SA in over a year.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Soulcleaver posted:

http://www.vice.com/read/elko-county-nevada-forces-inmates-to-pay-for-jailhouse-meals

quote:

From Jim’s point of view, the functioning of the jail’s food service is not going to change. Financial considerations will not be made until an individual’s term finishes—the plan is basically a forced credit system except instead of being forced to pay a credit card in full, inmates are being forced to pay for lovely food.

“My computer system will keep them on record as owing us money,” Jim said. “The next time [repeat offenders] come in and they have money, I’m going to take it.”

Jim said he doesn’t care about the ACLU's opinion because the County Commission has supported his decision.

“It was their choice to commit a crime, and now they should pay for their meals while they’re serving their time,” Elko County Commissioner Grant Gerber told me. “We’re looking out for the taxpayer. We’re not looking out for the criminal.”

Grant suggested that it might be a good idea to start charging inmates for housing accommodations as well. He continually bucked the notion that inmates are forced to remain in jail, instead repeating that they chose to be there.

“[The ACLU] is wrong,” Grant said. “I’m an attorney; they’re wrong lots of times. They need to raise money, so they’re making complaints to get their name in the paper.”

“It’s a fair system,” Grant said. “You should move to Elko County, so your taxes will be a little bit less.”
:( My words fail me, these are simply bad people.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
gently caress, why don't we just grind up prisoners and sell the remains to dog food companies? It'll save money and they probably deserve it anyway.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

cafel posted:

gently caress, why don't we just grind up prisoners and sell the remains to dog food companies? It'll save money and they probably deserve it anyway.

They make much, much less money off them that way. Those small town jails demand insane kickbacks from vendors. These past few months, some have started demanding a 100% kickback, that is, they want the entirety of what we're charging the inmate minus anything we can call a fee and not part of the service we're providing.
Ironically, the private prisons we've dealt with don't want kickbacks because their contract says that money goes to the state and they get a flat per bed fee no matter the amount of money the vendors bring in.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Soulcleaver posted:

elko county nevada forces inmates to pay for jailhouse meals

Amateurs.

Title 22, Oklahoma Statutes, Section 979a posted:

A. The court shall require a person who is actually received into custody at a jail facility or who is confined in a city or county jail or holding facility, for any offense, to pay the jail facility or holding facility the costs of incarceration, both before and after conviction, upon conviction or receiving a deferred sentence. The costs of incarceration shall be collected by the clerk of the court as provided for collection of other costs and fines...
Costs of incarceration shall include booking, receiving and processing out, housing, food, clothing, medical care, dental care, and psychiatric services.
C. Costs of incarceration shall be a debt of the inmate owed to the municipality, county, or other public entity responsible for the operation of the jail and may be collected as provided by law for collection of any other civil debt or criminal penalty.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
One of my friends spent some time in a county jail and had to pay $78 dollars a day for the privilege of doing it. Which is really screwy because if he didn't pay that, he could have got sent back and charged more money. Repeat.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
I would assume, Just like red light camera cases that challenge the legality behind the cameras, that someone could easily get the fine dismissed by attacking the legality of the fine. Towns do not want undue attention to the policies like this and they REALLY do not want someone to challenge them. So if someone starts the Habeas corpus process OR has the money to attack the fine the town will dismiss the fine.

State courts obviously know what a debtors prison is so the case would be fairly easy to prove just by showing the towns policy, and any bill the town said you owe.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Well this certainly is interesting

quote:

Prison Legal News argued in its lawsuit: ""Incarceration is inherently a power of government. By using public money to perform a public function, CCA is a governmental body" for purposes of the Texas Public Information Act.
Judge Charles Ramsay agreed, in a 1-page order granting summary judgment.
Wonder if the local alt weeklies that have been going after GEOCARE will start filing PIA requests now. That will be fun to get that stuff out.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

This is super depressing. An inmate in Kentucky was starved to death. They were on medication for anxiety, and it was discontinued. They then became extremely unstable, asked to be restarted on their meds and the doctors refused, thinking he was faking. He then went on hunger strike, no on gave a poo poo and he starved to death. I can't even imagine how bad the conditions would have to be where starving to death is preferable to life. Apparently we're a few steps up from concentration camps here.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This is all sorts of hosed up:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/05/transgender-16-year-old-solitary-cell-adult-prison

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
What ever happened to HidingFromGoro? His posts were the best.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Hey, so, I spent a weekend in a Texas jail (owned by Hays County PD, the police department that, to my knowledge, receives the most complaints out of any Texas PD) and the circumstances of the arrest combined with the conditions in the jail ended up giving me PTSD. My story isn't nearly as hosed up as a lot of the stuff that gets posted here; would it still be welcomed if I were to write it up and post it?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Sure, everything has interest.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
My state is opting out of the prison rape law.
I hope the feds smash them.

Several states are refusing to comply with a federal law designed to reduce sexual assaults in prison, with governors criticizing the decade-old law as counterproductive and too expensive to implement.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It isn't surprising, really. This is a nation where it's perfectly socially acceptable to hope and wish that a person that goes to prison gets raped until their rear end no longer works properly.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sorry to disappoint, but from that article:

quote:

The law's only enforcement mechanism is a partial loss of grant funding. States that don't comply with PREA can lose up to 5 percent of the federal grant money they receive for corrections. States can keep the money if they promise to use it to come into compliance with the law.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

Sorry to disappoint, but from that article:

Hard hitting, decisive action, from the federal government.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Look what that slick shit bought ya
A first class ticket to Lucifer, real name Christopher

How weird. I wonder how they come up with that huge implementation figure. Because from the enforcement side, it just seems to be an annual exhortation during training that was taking place anyway to recognize signs of sexual abuse and to treat it professionally and how to behave when it's brought to your attention, and I guess there's an 800 number that's posted in all the housing units that inmates can call to report it. But that, and the odd rape kit and psych visit can't possibly be that expensive.

Cold and Ugly fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
To some degree, isn't this the unexpected and perverse dark side of states being given greater freedom in the realm of things like drug policy? Obviously, I abhor the War on Drugs, but, all the same, if we allow states or municipalities to simply not enforce certain laws we don't like, can we be particularly shocked when they choose not to enforce the laws we do like? This situation is disgusting from an ethical standpoint, without a doubt, but unfortunately it seems to be in line with the law, and to fix it would have some rather unpleasant consequences (as well as many good consequences).

• Locked thread