Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

signalnoise posted:

Is there a way for me to get the hella rare resources even though my claim is on a Tier 1 island

Take a trip to the fancy areas and gather more materials. Ask a Goon for spare tools so you can jump the terrible tech levels. Use higher level equipment on other people's claims to get more options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Georgeson tweeted some videos from a French site that shows some amazing player creations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIyjrr9UxBQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0p9XQrh_Ko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15vMAr4zTl8

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
What are the odds that all the good spots near the portal on the new islands will be filled up in 2 minutes flat?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

There will be sub-portals that are nearly as good for real estate.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Vulcan posted:

What are the odds that all the good spots near the portal on the new islands will be filled up in 2 minutes flat?

As long as I'm on a tier 3 island, I don't really care how close I am to the portal. Just hope I can grab some nice old forest land. I may just go straight to EU servers this time.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

HughGRect posted:

Tunnel (Tier 3) – Tropical & Tundra

Tunnel has my vote East Commons meets Ro mother fuckers.

E nm its not a forest. FML.

STUMP IT IS!

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 7, 2014

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

did you manage to log in? arrgh

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
What does the different tiers mean?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Purgatory Glory posted:

What does the different tiers mean?

They denote the range of materials available for mining / harvesting. So, for example, a tier one area would commonly have the most simple, available resources like copper, tin, basic trees, dirt and stone etc. With some rarer materials.

You might want to start at a higher tier area so the rarer materials are more abundant, but you'll need to level up your equipment by collecting the easier stuff in a lower tier area.

Disclaimer: This is only for the moment, at a later date you'll simply dig down to get to rarer materials in caves etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmneLjMHd_I

Strange they seem so adverse to griefing / pvp, but at least they're going to allow opt-in / opt-out.

xutech fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 7, 2014

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Servers are supposed to be coming up now. Time to log in and make a claim then go to bed.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I don't think it's up

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

It is up now. They had a problem with the login server. Getting a claim on Serenity Stump.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
What area is everyone in?

E: either its buggy or there isnt much land left in Stump I got a spot to the far east of the spire on the back side of a mountain. Ideal for Unrest.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 7, 2014

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

I got one north and a bit west of the spires, on a snowy ridge overlooking a valley with grass and trees. My buffer zone also covers a mountain. I'll mess with attached claims tomorrow since I did not have enough iron to make them.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

grrarg posted:

I got one north and a bit west of the spires, on a snowy ridge overlooking a valley with grass and trees. My buffer zone also covers a mountain. I'll mess with attached claims tomorrow since I did not have enough iron to make them.

do you have a forge or w/e I need to make one?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I'm a decent distance to the SE from the spire on Serenity/Stump, on a small hill in the forest. The new forest areas are pretty.

Also if you didn't read the stuff on the forums, the attached claim flags actually take 9 ingredients so scroll down in the ingredients list if you're trying to figure out why the hell you can't make any. (Like me) The last ingredient is 10 iron ingots if for some reason scrolling doesn't work for you.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

LegionAreI posted:

I'm a decent distance to the SE from the spire on Serenity/Stump, on a small hill in the forest. The new forest areas are pretty.

Also if you didn't read the stuff on the forums, the attached claim flags actually take 9 ingredients so scroll down in the ingredients list if you're trying to figure out why the hell you can't make any. (Like me) The last ingredient is 10 iron ingots if for some reason scrolling doesn't work for you.

Due east exactly of the spire is a GIANT tree you gotta see this thing its HUGE like taller than mountains.
Someone claimed itu p already.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
This was from my claim before I decided to move. I am stupid and didn't cut my claim into smaller chunks for transportation. I also didn't set a block in the corner to easily align it when I moved it.

Good night, sweet Prince. :negative:

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

C'mon down to stumptown. And thanks Al for the quick pickaxe. I can finally face the grind again.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
How's the new forest looking?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Noah posted:

How's the new forest looking?

Pretty cool looking, but its more like a group of trees rather than a forest, if you know what I mean.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Is anyone else having a problem with their camera acting like an rear end in a top hat while being grappled to a wall. Before the patch I could angle the camera while grappled, now it snaps back to the direction I am facing.

And some updates to the roadmap here.

We get permissions, buddy lists and teleporting next week. :toot:

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 7, 2014

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

They changed it so you need to use left button to move the camera while grappling for some reason.

efb: Georgeson updated the Roadmap with estimated dates for some things. Next week should have fast travel to the hub and your claim, thankfully.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 8, 2014

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Just straight up stealing the camera settings from Wow would be good, also left and right sidestepping.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

xutech posted:

Just straight up stealing the camera settings from Wow would be good, also left and right sidestepping.

Supposedly key binding is close to being ready to deploy, the road map says the 19th.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
This is probably already known, but if you want to do a smooth wall at an angle it seems to work really well if you do a 3 wide by 1 deep cut. Keep repeating along the wall then smooth and the wall smooths perfectly. Started to do this for my Unrest opening.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Scale up the trees on your property, bend them at odd angles and leave plenty of grassy dirt around the bases.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
So I created my first 'thing'. It is supposed to be an Aviak tower. It kinda looks like crap, but I'm proud of it. :colbert:

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

change the scale of the tree by right clicking on it etc. it looks a little...tenuous at the moment.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah, I originally had it down further, but the top branches come through the floor. Is there a way to delete part of a tree?

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD IS HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE
You can't delete part of a prop, but you can move it into the ground and cover it up with stuff. Every tree is different, so I'd recommend accounting for the leaves & branches while building.

Treehousing:
  1. For vertical building, make sure to craft a grappling hook first.
  2. Then, look through the prop crafting menus and find a tree that looks like it'll actually support some kind of building.
  3. Craft that tree, scale it to max and place it.
  4. Grapple onto the tree and build a floor first
  5. Give the floor supports so that it doesn't look impossibly unrealistic; connected to branches and the trunk
  6. Finish the rest of your amazing treehouse

starfish
Dec 21, 2004

I made a thing. I'm jealous of the people that make really nice things.

My one annoyance with stuff so far is the blending. Some materials blend really well with each other, while others don't at all. I just wish I could make my claim look snowy but it only blends with a few of the materials I've used and even then, not especially well. That, and burled wood. gently caress burled wood.

I don't think I'm going to bother with indoor props. I made two claim extender flags so now I have to figure out what else to make.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Those thatched roofs with the torches on them look like they're in the danger zone (because of the torches).

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I just read about this in game informer, having previously known nothing about it. From the description they paint they make it sound like you can play this game and still level by doing things long crafting, mining, or building. I am curious how true this is?

This seems like it might be a game I would be in to, I am kinda on the fence.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Porkchop Express posted:

I just read about this in game informer, having previously known nothing about it. From the description they paint they make it sound like you can play this game and still level by doing things long crafting, mining, or building. I am curious how true this is?

This seems like it might be a game I would be in to, I am kinda on the fence.

I don't think Landmark will have levels, instead it will have a progression system that is similar to Minecraft. You make a starting pick axe to access low tier materials to craft another pick axe that can access another set of materials, and so on. That is how it is now anyways, always subject to change with the game being in alpha.

Everquest Next will be the traditional MMO with levels and gear grinding, but I have not heard if you can gain levels by crafting.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

There's also item progression in the sense that there are tiered crafting stations that unlock different craftable items as you go along, which includes various building tools.

I don't think they're planning on having linear character progression / levelling in Landmark either. For EQNext they talked about focusing on horizontal progression, where you can collect or unlock more abilities or skills as you play the game. But that's all speculation since there's currently no combat whatsoever in Landmark.

The 1st part of Landmark is primarily about collecting resources and crafting tools + crafting stations. After that it's 99% just building stuff. You can also get a refund without any questions being asked if it's not your cup of tea.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I may have to check it out, but I notice the minimum specs are an i5 and I only have an i3, so welp I dunno.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
It chugs like crazy on early-gen i5s, I can tell you that much.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

starfish posted:

I made a thing. I'm jealous of the people that make really nice things.

Cithen posted:

So I created my first 'thing'. It is supposed to be an Aviak tower. It kinda looks like crap, but I'm proud of it. :colbert:

Good job both of you. Things are how it all starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Smooth as butter on my i5 4570 though.

• Locked thread