Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

JawKnee posted:

Blowing up the relays was pointless given that any game set in the universe after that will almost certainly conjure up some new Macguffin that does exactly the same thing. It functionally makes no difference.

If you're going to argue that the story is somehow more enjoyable because they blow up the relays in the last 30 seconds then, uh, good luck.

It all depends. New exploration can be done by opening up more unused connections to other Mass Relays. But at the same time, with the Relays blown up any replacement (drive) could be much slower at first, giving you an opportunity to explore the immediate vicinity of Earth, creating an interesting situation for the races stranded there and being an excuse why some older races are not showing up. And in later games you can reestablish contact with the Asari (who are furthest away from Earth of the races on the Council) or the Quarians, and see in what direction they developed.

And if ME3 really were the endpoint, then blowing up the Relays may be just as good as rebuilding, but Bioware becoming scared of angry fans and choosing the boring/safe route with rebuilding over the heavily hinted destruction of the Relays was just sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If Shepard lives and the relays remain intact we never have to revisit Mass Effect again. Shepard will reunite with *insert romance here* and vacation on the planet of their choosing with whatever race is not extinct. Things will go back to how they were, and we've already seen what they were so we're saved a trip. Fans plead for Garrus-as-CSec-officer: The Game. It's released on phones and sells badly.

Dead Shepard and no relays is a Whole New Chapter(tm) in the narrative (unless everyone dies off, which is valid if a little bleak for my taste). New heroes, new worlds, new frontiers, new designs. Cameos from all your favourite pals Aria where we see how things have changed.

Speculation.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

sassassin posted:

If Shepard lives and the relays remain intact we never have to revisit Mass Effect again. Shepard will reunite with *insert romance here* and vacation on the planet of their choosing with whatever race is not extinct. Things will go back to how they were, and we've already seen what they were so we're saved a trip. Fans plead for Garrus-as-CSec-officer: The Game. It's released on phones and sells badly.

see, that's the thing. returning to the status quo is exactly the sort of thing you do if you want to continue the franchise. that's why i hate franchises- it's so difficult to have anything serious happen in them, because the vitality of the franchise depends on everything remaining static. it's death.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

sassassin posted:

Dead Shepard and no relays is a Whole New Chapter(tm) in the narrative (unless everyone dies off, which is valid if a little bleak for my taste). New heroes, new worlds, new frontiers, new designs. Cameos from all your favourite pals Aria where we see how things have changed.

Speculation.
How does Shepard living stop Bioware from using a new character? Wasn't ME4 supposed to take place hundreds of years into the future?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fag Boy Jim posted:

see, that's the thing. returning to the status quo is exactly the sort of thing you do if you want to continue the franchise. that's why i hate franchises- it's so difficult to have anything serious happen in them, because the vitality of the franchise depends on everything remaining static. it's death.

I disagree. The relays blowing up is as big a sequel-hook in my eyes as the advancing reaper fleet.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
but what about shepard and liara's baby i have to know

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nihilarian posted:

Wasn't ME4 supposed to take place hundreds of years into the future?

I think that's just what people who want more of the same (but without that pesky plot-development stuff) want.

The 'Old Republic' method.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

but what about shepard and liara's baby i have to know

It's 'cute' (or ugly if your shep was a monstrousity).

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Iunno, you could kill the relays and still have sequels. Hell, maybe have that be a new element of the setting, all the races trying to reconnect their fractured civilization over years (decades?), and then gradually seeing how systems developed after suddenly being isolated.

sassassin posted:

The relays blowing up is as big a sequel-hook in my eyes as the advancing reaper fleet.
Yeah, this.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Trapezium Dave posted:

No, but it's a very gutsy move for a developer or publisher to deliberately close the book on an entire IP that they've spent so much work to build up.

And of course since they're making Mass Effect 4 anyway, I'm doubting how deliberate that choice really was.

This is purely a case of the business side trumpeting the creative side. Creatively, once you've told the story you want to tell you need to close the book and move on. But the business side will want to milk the IP for all it's worth. Look at Capcom. Its series all have plots and they're all insane after the second or third game because Capcom won't let a story stay told.

There's a happy medium in D&D, which has settings and franchises within those settings. The franchises can end while the settings endure. Baldur's Gate was a Forgotten Realms franchise and its story properly ended with Throne of Bhaal. The business side got a couple of extraneous titles to milk the name but then they wizened up and let it go. Now Baldur's Gate is done but nothing is stopping anyone from making more games set in the Forgotten Realms.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The problem though is the mass effect relays are a large part of what defines the setting. They provide a convenient way to jet around the galaxy while still limiting the accessible clusters of stars to a manageable level, and there's always the possibility of not knowing what's at the other end to provide a sense of mystery and adventure. They even named the whole series "Mass Effect".

Getting rid of the relays is fine if they plan on ending the series, but if they want sequels they're either going to introduce something functionally similar (wormholes or jumpgates or whatever) or it's not going to feel like Mass Effect. In the first case why bother trashing the relays, and in the second why not make it a whole new IP?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I suppose we'll have to wait and see how closely tied ME4:<subtitle> is to ME3 then; having a whole alternate universe to explore shouldn't just be cast off if the result is just going to be building another somewhat similar alternate universe somewhere down the line.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Probably the best result, and possibly what Bioware was aiming for, is a bunch of spinoff EU stuff that "doesn't feel like Mass Effect" due to lack of relays n' stuff, so "the Mass Effect trilogy" is sort of surgically removed from the franchise and remains pure, or whatever. OK that sounds dumb, but one sense I did get from the original ending was Bioware railing against the whole spinoff expanded universe thing by blowing up the setting so thoroughly.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
You could so some wonderfully fun Mass Effect EU in the vein of the Expanse series of novels (a motley crew of malcontents, sci-fi political intrigue, crime drama, high-octane action, etc.) but the fact that the Mass Effect novels were so terrible and so tightly intertwined in the Reaper metaplot kind of brought a swift end to any further attempts.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

You could so some wonderfully fun Mass Effect EU in the vein of the Expanse series of novels (a motley crew of malcontents, sci-fi political intrigue, crime drama, high-octane action, etc.) but the fact that the Mass Effect novels were so terrible and so tightly intertwined in the Reaper metaplot kind of brought a swift end to any further attempts.

This is probably a good thing imo

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

This is probably a good thing imo

Remember when they made Tali a Middle Eastern woman and people got outraged?

Hammasa Kohistani is pretty but everyone was like :byodood: STOCK PHOTO :byodood:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Milky Moor posted:

Hammasa Kohistani is pretty but everyone was like :byodood: STOCK PHOTO :byodood:
Ugh. I knew Tali's reveal was going to be something that didn't please everyone. I never imagined Bioware would actually gently caress it up so badly as to use a photoshopped stock photo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It is dumb, I think, for the mystery of what Quarians look like to be revealed at all. But somehow it is even dumber that the answer is "humans with lines on 'em" when all the other species had such diverse physiology. (Notwithstanding the Asari, and even they had that throwaway line about there being some kind of psychic illusion that explains their human facial features.)

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

It is dumb, I think, for the mystery of what Quarians look like to be revealed at all. But somehow it is even dumber that the answer is "humans with lines on 'em" when all the other species had such diverse physiology. (Notwithstanding the Asari, and even they had that throwaway line about there being some kind of psychic illusion that explains their human facial features.)

realtalk:

the geth and quarians should have never reconciled, the quarians could then move to Sol and make the "we humans now" reveal and we get a cool quarian-human super hi-tech race in Mass Effect 4, set ~500 years later, who have either rebuilt the relays or created a new form of ftl-travel.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

She was Middle Eastern?

I was just annoyed by the :effort: of it all.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

She was Middle Eastern?

I was just annoyed by the :effort: of it all.

Yeah, pretty much this. I got a good laugh out of it the first time around though.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
They missed the chance to make the Quarians look completely alien and also kinda creepy, I think that would have made that entire "romance" path with Tali a lot more interesting.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

before the reveal I was certain they were gonna make them look like the traditional greys, but I guess the salarians have that role filled already

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I feel like a lot of people were most disappointed that they didn't get to laugh at the impotent rage that they were expecting from the Tali-lovers if she wasn't revealed to be physically attractive.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

JawKnee posted:

before the reveal I was certain they were gonna make them look like the traditional greys, but I guess the salarians have that role filled already

Turns out the Quarians were the real Space Elves.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lycus posted:

I feel like a lot of people were most disappointed that they didn't get to laugh at the impotent rage that they were expecting from the Tali-lovers if she wasn't revealed to be physically attractive.
I wouldn't have minded that, honestly.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I didn't have that much of a problem with the picture. Honestly, I liked what Tali was behind the mask and I was glad Bioware went with the Space Elf look. But I would prefer the Quarians to still wear masks because I they are cooler with their masks on. Like the Helghast.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 10, 2014

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
The worst thing about the space elves asari is that they don't have ears. The first time you really, consciously notice it you can never unsee it.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Police Automaton posted:

The worst thing about the space elves asari is that they don't have ears. The first time you really, consciously notice it you can never unsee it.

They have ears, just not earlobes.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

SgtSteel91 posted:

They have ears, just not earlobes.

Same to me, just burn them all.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Police Automaton posted:

They missed the chance to make the Quarians look completely alien and also kinda creepy, I think that would have made that entire "romance" path with Tali a lot more interesting.
Obligatory:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tali took her mask off? The only time I recall kinda seeing a Quarian's face was in one of the endings where you can kind of see a side profile of one of their faces?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Tali took her mask off? The only time I recall kinda seeing a Quarian's face was in one of the endings where you can kind of see a side profile of one of their faces?

If you romanced her and made sure the Quarians didn't die in the Rannoch arc, then she leaves a photo of herself unmasked in Shepard's cabin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SgtSteel91 posted:

If you romanced her and made sure the Quarians didn't die in the Rannoch arc, then she leaves a photo of herself unmasked in Shepard's cabin.

Just looked up the image. :psyduck:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Elysiume posted:

Obligatory:

This also would have been acceptable.

That fish tank panel reminds me of the time I finished lair of the shadow broker in ME2 and didn't know you were supposed to feed the fish. So while there was this serious conversation going on between Liara and Shepard, the fish were all drifting dead in the tank. I could not stop laughing.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
One of my favourite parts of ME3 is they didn't forget about the fish tank. Jellyfish and Space Eels Hell Yeah.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

JawKnee posted:

Or plateless turians. Romances between the two species seem to be a big thing, sharing food could only be part of that!

sassassin posted:

It's 'cute' (or ugly if your shep was a monstrousity).
Reminder that Liara's grandfather was a krogan. Asari genetics are weird, don't question it.

Torrannor posted:

And if ME3 really were the endpoint, then blowing up the Relays may be just as good as rebuilding, but Bioware becoming scared of angry fans and choosing the boring/safe route with rebuilding over the heavily hinted destruction of the Relays was just sad.
As opposed to completely undermining most of your actions within the game by cutting key characters away from their required settings. Destroying the relays means only the humans are where they want/need to be. How is that not a sad, unsatisfying ending? That situation is far more of a sequel hook than the one we were left with, if only to restore events to how they were left just before the ending of ME3.

Not that Renegade Shepard would give a poo poo, I guess.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The quarians were always going to be similar to humans. Casey Hudson has said that Tali was originally going to be a romance option in ME1. Even disregarding that, quarians have always had visible eyes, visible cheekbones and a visible nose behind their visors.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
True, but up until ME3, I figured they would go a more asari route, where they have notable human facial features but still look sufficiently alien in general. I think that what they can up with looked more Star Trek-esque than I expected.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lycus posted:

True, but up until ME3, I figured they would go a more asari route, where they have notable human facial features but still look sufficiently alien in general. I think that what they can up with looked more Star Trek-esque than I expected.

But why? Like, I'm pretty sure even before ME3 there was some throwaway line about how the quarians had the most similar evolution to humans of all the species. And the elaborate shawls/hoods/whatever are reminiscent of a substitute for hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

The goofiest thing about quarian faces is when characters in-universe act like it's some sort of big mystery (not "what does X quarian look like", but "what do quarians look like"), as if they can't look up what quarians look like on the Space Internet.

• Locked thread