Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
OBD is alright, I was referring to the visual bullshit, which is just a legalized kickback scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sinestro posted:

OBD is alright, I was referring to the visual bullshit, which is just a legalized kickback scheme.

Oh...you mean like CARB approval for parts that would obviously not effect emissions or when installed would still pass a sniffer test as if the car were in factory condition? Yeah, that's just another California shakedown.

lolricecamrylol
Sep 27, 2004
minivanmegafun bought me this account and said I'm stuck with this title until I derice my car.
I want this so bad. Aside from the tire stretch, it is almost exactly how I would have done it.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4364905515.html

edit: TWO VANOS

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VideoTapir posted:

Here's a better question; could you pass OBD tests while polluting like a motherfucker?

I've got a 3-inch catless exhaust on my Protege. Slap a $2 spacer on the rear O2 sensor, never have a CEL. :smug: :smog:

Of course, the soot that builds up on the rear bumper may be a bit of a giveaway, but hey, that can be washed off.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fucknag posted:

I've got a 3-inch catless exhaust on my Protege. Slap a $2 spacer on the rear O2 sensor, never have a CEL. :smug: :smog:

Of course, the soot that builds up on the rear bumper may be a bit of a giveaway, but hey, that can be washed off.

What do you mean by "spacer"? How do you get rid of the rear sensor without getting a CEL?

I need to know this because I'm getting ready to put a test pipe on my Miata.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

lolricecamrylol posted:

I want this so bad. Aside from the tire stretch, it is almost exactly how I would have done it.

It would be nice if there were a picture of the god damned car rather than eighty interior detail shots

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

What do you mean by "spacer"? How do you get rid of the rear sensor without getting a CEL?

You go to the HELP section of the parts store and buy two spark plug anti-foulers. These are the same thread as most O2 sensor bungs and O2 sensors.

Drill a hole through the middle of one of them that is large enough for you to clear the bottom part when you screw your O2 sensor into. Screw on the second unmodified one. Then put the whole thing post cat and hope the inspection mechanic doesn't see it.

Downstream O2 sensors are looking for the delta between the upstream and downstream to make sure the cat is doing a job within the acceptable range. By moving the downstream O2 sensor out of the flow of exhaust and just having it "sample" a bit, it looks like your cat is AWESOME to the ECU.

This violates federal law, and I am only talking about theory based on my knowledge of how ECUs work and what is available in parts stores. I've never done this, nor has anyone else that I know.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh yes, I should mention I was speaking hypothetically as well.

Not that I'd ever get caught in Florida, we haven't had emissions inspections since 2000, and that was an absolute joke. Only 6 counties with bad enough air had them, and they only lasted 9 years. Safety inspections haven't existed since 1981, and by all accounts they were about as thorough as they are in Texas today.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Not that I'd ever get caught in Florida, we haven't had emissions inspections since 2000, and that was an absolute joke. Only 6 counties with bad enough air had them, and they only lasted 9 years. Safety inspections haven't existed since 1981, and by all accounts they were about as thorough as they are in Texas today.

On this note, I had a '92 paseo not pass safety in Texas because "your seat belt is cut." It had like 2 frayed fibers, you rear end. Nevermind the poo poo brakes, completely blown shocks and inoperable side mirrors. Waited a week and went to a different shop and suddenly the car was safe again. gently caress Texas.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

You go to the HELP section of the parts store and buy two spark plug anti-foulers. These are the same thread as most O2 sensor bungs and O2 sensors.

Drill a hole through the middle of one of them that is large enough for you to clear the bottom part when you screw your O2 sensor into. Screw on the second unmodified one. Then put the whole thing post cat and hope the inspection mechanic doesn't see it.

Downstream O2 sensors are looking for the delta between the upstream and downstream to make sure the cat is doing a job within the acceptable range. By moving the downstream O2 sensor out of the flow of exhaust and just having it "sample" a bit, it looks like your cat is AWESOME to the ECU.

Great idea, never heard of it until now which kind of surprises me being in FL.

lolricecamrylol
Sep 27, 2004
minivanmegafun bought me this account and said I'm stuck with this title until I derice my car.

opengl128 posted:

It would be nice if there were a picture of the god damned car rather than eighty interior detail shots

I agree, although I believe that he realized that a clean, well put together interior sells the car. Much like kitchens/bathrooms sell a house.

He just forgot about the curb appeal.

He did include a video with a walkaround of the car though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHO7wD7b9gQ

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The other option is to get a car that has the capability to have CELs outright disabled for certain things. Basically, anything with a good aftermarket tuning community.

I've got a lot of CELs flat out disabled on the LS1 in my GMC, because I don't even have cats, let alone rear O2 sensors.

Fun fact: I had to get it emissioned three times, before AZ finally waived emissions for classics. A catless but otherwise stock 12k-mile LS1 actually puts out higher emissions than a carbed ~150k mile 350 with massive blowby caused by running near 10:1 with Vortec heads.

This might be actual gold: '95 SHO with a stick, 150k miles, and one owner.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

God, those Yamahas are sweet. If there's no rust and it's as clean as it looks, that's pretty tempting.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Seriously? There are clean SHOs all around here for way less money
http://reading.craigslist.org/cto/4357906633.html
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/4353930525.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Rust?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Those are both autos.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cage posted:

Those are both autos.

Yeah, the later model manuals are tough to find. Especially a '95. The condition on that white one is great and I doubt these are going to be as revered as the Grand National and Impala SS. Same problem with the Turbocoupe/Supercoupe. They aren't as desirable as the SVO, but are still fun and unique cars.

Of course, you could always go with a Lincoln LS6 with a manual if you don't want to deal with the SHO's issues. Or try to put a T-56 in a 03-04 Marauder.

But what do I know, people are buying Mustang II's for thousands and thousands of dollars nowadays.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 9, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

lolricecamrylol posted:

Is there like any reason at all to go with an M54 over an S52? Seems like a lot of money to be spending on a convertible E30. Work appears to be pretty well done though.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Maybe it's a local thing, but if asked to pick an official 'trailer trash' ride I would pick the early 90's Taurus. Don't ask me why, but it seems like everyone of those I have seen on the road (even in the 90s!) has been trashed and full of people who are related in a bad way.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 10, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Dr.Caligari posted:

Maybe it's a local thing, but if asked to pick an official 'trailer trash' ride I would pick the early 90's Taurus. Don't ask me why, but it seems like everyone of those I have seen on the road (even in the 90s!) has been trashed and full of people who are related in a bad way.

Don't forget they are all squatting like a dog taking a poo poo from overloaded/broken rear springs.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

rscott posted:

Is there like any reason at all to go with an M54 over an S52?

The M54B30 is pretty similar in specs to the S52; maybe he just happened to have easy access to a wrecked e46 330 or something.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah I was looking up how hard the swap is and I guess it's not terribly more difficult than swapping an M52. The electronic throttle seems like the hardest part.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Around here, an early 90s ford explorer with whiskey dents, missing trim, trim clips flapping in the breeze, a serious rear end drag and ghetto lean from the busted rear suspension and at least one rotted-through leaf shackle is the appalachian-american ride of choice. Either that or a mid 90s minivan of any marque in the same general condition.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Terrible Robot posted:

Don't forget they are all squatting like a dog taking a poo poo from overloaded/broken rear springs.

Funny story, replacing the struts won't even fix the sag! Did it on my old 02 that was dragging rear end (new springs too), it still sat low til the day I sold it.

Asked a coworker at my last job, according to him the rear control arm bushings twist when they overcompress from worn-out springs, so basically there's now preload on them that keeps the rear suspension from reaching full droop; it also keeps the rear from sitting at the proper ride height.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

rscott posted:

Is there like any reason at all to go with an M54 over an S52? Seems like a lot of money to be spending on a convertible E30. Work appears to be pretty well done though.

Nope, m/s52 are still better value by far. Getting the dual vanos to work is not easy.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

Motronic posted:

This violates federal law, and I am only talking about theory based on my knowledge of how ECUs work and what is available in parts stores. I've never done this, nor has anyone else that I know.

After all that, it looks like this:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Fucknag posted:

How's the air now?

If there are enough new cars running around, I'd guess improvements in stock emissions would bring the average down inspections or no inspections.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Landshark posted:

After all that, it looks like this:

Looks like that person has two chained together.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Sir Tonk posted:

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4338129777.html

Not a whole lot of rear legroom in the old Cadillacs.

I'm loving that thing. The Ipad is silly, but the rest of the interior work is pretty good.
Get some decent wheels on there and I would daily drive that.
He probably is delusional and wants $90k for it though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Almost cartoonish proportions. It's like they stuck a pillar in the middle of the door opening of a coupe. I don't think i've ever seen one of these before. I can't imagine how few still exist, let alone in this condition.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Goddamn, this is beautiful.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/798566-1991-porsche-944-s2-coupe.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Looks like that person has two chained together.

.......which is exactly how it's done and how I described it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Classy.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
OK Denver, I saw this badass auction for auto stuff tonight, then noticed the 'RIMS' Section.

http://bid.rollerauction.com/cgi-bin/mndetails.cgi?roller17

OK that's a lot of rims, right? Starts off pretty tame, I wish there was more description but I should have looked sooner and visited for inspection right...

Well I made it through the whole posting (I may have bookmarked some), and the last page or two are just this:

Actions start closing tomorrow at 9am. With any luck, I'll be the proud owner of some ill fitting wheels for cheap. With better luck, the bidding will go beyond what I'm willing to pay and I won't have to buy any at all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Please buy 1600 assorted rims, and then make a thread about your years-long adventure of selling them off on Craigslist and eBay.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'd probably buy a few if you got anything good, but I want artsy-fartsy pictures of each individual rim and you have to hold my hand through the purchasing and shipping process.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/4367564976.html

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

StormDrain posted:

OK Denver, I saw this badass auction for auto stuff tonight, then noticed the 'RIMS' Section.

http://bid.rollerauction.com/cgi-bin/mndetails.cgi?roller17

OK that's a lot of rims, right? Starts off pretty tame, I wish there was more description but I should have looked sooner and visited for inspection right...

Well I made it through the whole posting (I may have bookmarked some), and the last page or two are just this:

Actions start closing tomorrow at 9am. With any luck, I'll be the proud owner of some ill fitting wheels for cheap. With better luck, the bidding will go beyond what I'm willing to pay and I won't have to buy any at all.

Good luck, that got posted this morning on the local SCCA forums.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Please buy 1600 assorted rims, and then make a thread about your years-long adventure of selling them off on Craigslist and eBay.

Trying to sell 1600 rims on craigslist is a hell I would wish on very few individuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You checking out my woman BITCH?