Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hey guys

STOP QUOTING STYMIE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zap!
May 15, 2002

Nuts.
Just saw that the nat geo channel was running the original Cosmos all weekend. Great to find that out now.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

You Am I posted:

hey guys

STOP QUOTING STYMIE

shut the gently caress up

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
watching neil's cosmos and there's a lengthy animated section on giordano bruno

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

cosmos seems pretty neat, not sure what all the fuss is about

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
glad to see that cosmos is still a personal voyage as well as a spacetime odyssey

also Tyson went to my high school

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Amethyst posted:

lol does nu cosmos really have a section where they talk about how fail god is

yep, courtesy of everyone's favorite baritone hack seth mcfarlane

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
really it was more "yeah this guy believed in God and had good ideas but the pope didn't allow free speech so he was burned"

because america hates papists you see

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

really it was more "yeah this guy believed in God and had good ideas but the pope didn't allow free speech so he was burned"

because america hates papists you see

kennedy got elected didn't he? :colbert:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
reality and history have an atheist bias

this equates to an hour-long anti-religious screed

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

syscall girl posted:

kennedy got elected didn't he? :colbert:

only because nixon was a sweaty goon

although supposedly america hates quakers too

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

latest POI was real good after the last few lacklustre episodes, loose ends and history tied up nicely.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
welp, there goes any hope of the new cosmos being of any quality or respectful of sagan's legacy :(

disrespects and alienates people of faith right out of the gate to no real purpose instead of being a bridge to those who are curious and less than scientifically literate

i suppose that's what happens when a hack remakes a show originally created for public television on a major network

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

hahahahaha

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

latest POI was real good after the last few lacklustre episodes, loose ends and history tied up nicely.

yep

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

haveblue posted:

also Tyson went to my high school

were u bros

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
nah they called him Kneel DeGrasp MyJohnson

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Trig Discipline posted:

nah they called him Kneel DeGrasp MyJohnson

Kneel DeGrasp MyJohnson and Carl Banging

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

computer parts posted:

only because nixon was a sweaty goon

although supposedly america hates quakers too

only reason nixon won in 68 was b/c nearly ten million southerners voted for a guy whose running mate literally advocated dropping a-bombs on vietnam

by 1970 nixon had gotten students, blacks, and poors so angry that at one point the secret service literally flew him out to camp david b/c the riots in DC had gotten scary bad

there were reportedly tanks on the streets during the 1973 inauguration

we like to think politics is hosed up these days but hoooooly shiiiiit

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
so i kept waiting for cosmos to become super atheist but all that happened was a story was told about one thing that the catholic church did in 1600 because it was relevant to the development of modern astronomy? near the end tyson even talks about when major religious figures were born on the cosmic calendar

guess we got stymied again

i bet he didn't even watch it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ol qwerty bastard posted:

so i kept waiting for cosmos to become super atheist but all that happened was a story was told about one thing that the catholic church did in 1600 because it was relevant to the development of modern astronomy? near the end tyson even talks about when major religious figures were born on the cosmic calendar

guess we got stymied again

i bet he didn't even watch it

stymie whiny about something insignificant

who would have guessed

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

its stymie trying to start an argument about religion

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
its that drat seth macfartland!!! hes not a family man at all!!!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
lmao brannon braga executive produced this he's the guy who hosed it up

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

his only requirement to signing on as ep was that it must feature literal space vaginas

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
the story of bruno was poorly done and shoehorned in where it was clealy structurally inappropriate for the episode but you would have to be a real big fuckin chowderhead to get offended

my real beef was with the asteroid belt being too dense and not bringin up eris when they mentioned pluto, which probably would have been interesting for the general audience

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

angry_keebler posted:

the story of bruno was poorly done and shoehorned in where it was clealy structurally inappropriate for the episode but you would have to be a real big fuckin chowderhead to get offended

wtf why is that even in there, borat was a much better movie

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i got scared when i saw him in the opening credits

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I like some of the narrative mechanics they have (like animating history), but idk it didn't seem to be all that cohesive.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
i hope it'll become more cohesive as we get more episodes and have animated versions of more stories from the beginning of astronomy

makes a lot more sense to start with a story of bruno and then move on to galileo, kepler, brahe, etc.

also i'm sure he'll come back to the asteroid belt and be like "yeah it doesn't actually look like this"

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i thought cosmos was really good and well done and that animation style was cool

eat poo poo haters *cyberstruts away*

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i really liked neil's story about meeting carl sagan i thought it was super touching and gave the audience an idea of his motivations, seems like he just wants to do homage to sagan, not show up and start atheist blasting his audience

which i would be cool with but you get more flies with honey than you do with the stark light of depressing truths

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ol qwerty bastard posted:

also i'm sure he'll come back to the asteroid belt and be like "yeah it doesn't actually look like this"

he did mention the separation of objects in the oort cloud so he's willing to go there, but in the first episode he doesn't want to point out how boring to look at a realistic asteroid belt would be

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hubris.height posted:

i really liked neil's story about meeting carl sagan i thought it was super touching and gave the audience an idea of his motivations, seems like he just wants to do homage to sagan, not show up and start atheist blasting his audience

which i would be cool with but you get more flies with honey than you do with the stark light of depressing truths
ya that was good.

i think the whole Bruno thing was fine, but out of place in the episode. like maybe they could have saved it for later or presented his story as a smaller part in a more general discussion of the origins of astronomy in the context of how science works and where the ideas come from. i.e. these dudes' study of philosophy led them to form their own questions about the natural world which others would later put to the test. that's the more important message and i don't think it came across as well as "lol the church is a bunch of litterrall hilters" which is true but not really relevant.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Beeftweeter posted:

his only requirement to signing on as ep was that it must feature literal space vaginas
worf cameo lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FMguru posted:

worf cameo lol

with obligatory alexander accidentally invents the mayan calendar episode

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

The Bruno section was terrible in narrative terms, it was by far the longest segment of the show. They whip through the creation of the universe and the scope of the universe but go in elaborate detail basically repeating over and over that yes, everyone hated Bruno and he got treated like poo poo. I wasn't timing it but it was probably 10-15 minutes of air time and they make no other point. It would be a dumb waste of time in any episode, but its a staggering waste of time in an introductory episode that was otherwise meant to establish our place in the cosmos. I don't know how the producers read that and then watched that and said 'yeah the pacing here is great'. I mean the animation even has parts where its just dead air and Bruno looking sad. Next ep better not be that dumb.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

why are the spaceships so close to one another? that is something that always bugged me about star treks and i guess most scifi really, the spaceships always park really close to one another. maybe it's just for tv purposes but idgaf it's still dumb imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Elder Postsman posted:

it's just for tv purposes

• Locked thread