Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Tried the Princess Bride? It was a book before it was a movie!

That is a good idea. I love that story. I was also considering Sanderson's Mistborn books, but it's been a while since I read them, and don't remember if there is questionable content in there for someone of that age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yay Pudding! posted:

That is a good idea. I love that story. I was also considering Sanderson's Mistborn books, but it's been a while since I read them, and don't remember if there is questionable content in there for someone of that age.

Neil Gaiman's Coraline might also be a good idea, or if you want to try SF, take a look at The Science Fiction Hall of Fame. You also can't go wrong with Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain series.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 10, 2014

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Yay Pudding! posted:

I'm looking for some stuff that would be good for a 11 year old boy who enjoys fantasy stuff. It would be something I read out loud to him, so difficulty isn't an issue. I just don't want anything overly dark/violent or sex stuff. His mom reads LOTR to him, so I guess that would be a good baseline.

Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising sequence, Emily Rodda's Deltora Quest books and Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, in no particular order. I loved Cooper and Rodda when I was around that age.

E: I don't think there's much questionable content in Sanderson (dude is Mormon to the bone) but the reading level might be a little high for an 11-year old. But maybe not, if he digs LOTR.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 10, 2014

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Redwall maybe?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

End Of Worlds posted:

Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising sequence, Emily Rodda's Deltora Quest books and Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, in no particular order. I loved Cooper and Rodda when I was around that age.

E: I don't think there's much questionable content in Sanderson (dude is Mormon to the bone) but the reading level might be a little high for an 11-year old. But maybe not, if he digs LOTR.

Rodda's "Rowan" series is pretty great as well for young readers.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Yay Pudding! posted:

I'm looking for some stuff that would be good for a 11 year old boy who enjoys fantasy stuff. It would be something I read out loud to him, so difficulty isn't an issue. I just don't want anything overly dark/violent or sex stuff. His mom reads LOTR to him, so I guess that would be a good baseline.

The Prydain Chronicles!

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Yay Pudding! posted:

The Golden Compass!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Very specific request but I imagine there must be a non-fiction or fictionalized book like this: accounts of the holocaust from the German perspective?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

massive spider posted:

Very specific request but I imagine there must be a non-fiction or fictionalized book like this: accounts of the holocaust from the German perspective?

Do you mean the German survivors or the Nazis?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Joramun posted:

Do you mean the German survivors or the Nazis?

The nazis, or at least the people who were somewhat complicit.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

massive spider posted:

The nazis, or at least the people who were somewhat complicit.

Jonathan Littell's The Kindly Ones. It's a fictional SS officer's memoir. The novel tends to veer into fantastical territory later on, but the first half might be just what you're looking for.

Babi Yar

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Will check it out thanks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Lawrence Block was mentioned in here recently, and ten of his books are on sale on Kindle for today only here.

I've never read him, but I thought I'd mention it anyways.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Poutling posted:

It's fallen a bit out of fashion from its heyday in the eighties/nineties when it first came out but Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being sounds like exactly what you are looking for.
Thanks for recommending this. I'd only heard of it in passing, despite it's popularity. E/N bullshit spoilered.

It's fitting that you recommended this because I actually lived in Prague for a few years. Many of the places, attitudes and ways of life I could identify with as I have first hand experience. Part of the reason I asked for a recommendation for a book like this is due to a girl I was involved with there. It was eerie reading this book, especially the parts about Tereza. Anyway, I'm feeling a bit better these days.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

So there was a guy selling a bunch of books on my campus today, and I picked up a few. One of them I got on a whim was William S Burrough's The Western Lands, without knowing that it was part of a trilogy. Can anyone tell me if I need to read the other two parts, or if they're relatively self-contained?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kart Barfunkel posted:

So there was a guy selling a bunch of books on my campus today, and I picked up a few. One of them I got on a whim was William S Burrough's The Western Lands, without knowing that it was part of a trilogy. Can anyone tell me if I need to read the other two parts, or if they're relatively self-contained?

Ha! Burroughs' paragraphs are relatively self-contained. You're probably fine, but if you like the style then look for Cities of the Red Night which is the first in the trilogy and probably the most coherent, and as a bonus it might be his best book.

In general, you can just pick up a Burroughs and flip to a random page without being too unprepared to enjoy it. That's practically how he wrote them, after all.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I'm looking for medieval Islamic lit and/or a good translation of 1000&1 Nights.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fingers of Fury posted:

I'm looking for medieval Islamic lit and/or a good translation of 1000&1 Nights.

There's a fair bit of debate over what the best translation of the 1001 nights is; I remember we had some discussion about it a few months ago but I can't find exactly where. Most early translators either bowdlerize or embellish, and then modern translations always seem excessively literal to me, so it's a matter of what you're looking for -- textual accuracy, poetry, eroticism, background detail, etc. Personally I prefer the Mardrus & Mathers translation because I like the writing style but it's a matter of personal taste.

fake edit: while writing this I found the link to the comparison I'd found before: http://www.corpse.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=34

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Fingers of Fury posted:

I read both of Penguin's translations of the Thousand and One Nights last year and I vastly preferred the newer Malcolm Lyons and Ursula Lyons translation over the older NJ Dawood edition.

Dawood's comes off as stiff and wooden, has a lovely self-promoting introduction and omits the tale of Ali Baba for some reason. Meanwhile, the Lyons translation has a nice selection of stories - Ali Baba, Sinbad, The Adventures of Ali Al-Zaibaq, etc - a detailed and interesting introduction, maps and a helpful glossary. Penguin has their whole translation in three volumes, but there's also one that's a selection from all three.

I can't speak to it, but theNorton Critical Edition translated by Husain Haddawy looks interesting and Naguib Mahfouz wrote a novel based on the some of the tales, too.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
Not sure if the 1001 Nights made much of an impact in the East, but India drew on the same underlying tradition, and came out with the excellent Adventures of Amir Hamza - a fantasy epic based around the travels of the prophet Mohammed's uncle, defending Islam mostly by butchering sorcerors, demons and hordes of not-Hamza's.

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:
I'm looking for a book that scratches the House of Leaves itch for the parts of the story where people find themselves in a world that is slightly off (like the Navidson House). I'd prefer it not be too pulpy. Have already read S. and Raw Shark Texts in case those are recommended.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Dyslexiactic posted:

I'm looking for a book that scratches the House of Leaves itch for the parts of the story where people find themselves in a world that is slightly off (like the Navidson House). I'd prefer it not be too pulpy. Have already read S. and Raw Shark Texts in case those are recommended.

Foucault's Pendulum
The Magus

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm in the middle of "They Eat Puppies, Don't They?" by Christopher Buckley and I'm in love with it. Which book by him should I read next? I'm thinking "Thank You for Smoking" because I saw the movie and thought it was hilarious. Also, are there any other contemporary satirists that are as good as he is?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I just finished Words of Radiance and could use a recommendation for a good to great fantasy. I want bulk, as I spend a couple hours every other day hooked up to a centrifuge and need lots of material to read.

I've read all the GRRM novels that are out, Abercrombie (eh), Malazan, the rest of Sanderson's work... so any suggestions would be great.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Phummus posted:

I just finished Words of Radiance and could use a recommendation for a good to great fantasy. I want bulk, as I spend a couple hours every other day hooked up to a centrifuge and need lots of material to read.

I've read all the GRRM novels that are out, Abercrombie (eh), Malazan, the rest of Sanderson's work... so any suggestions would be great.

Glen Cook - The Black Company
Gene Wolfe - The Book of the New Sun
If serious bulk is your goal, Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

regulargonzalez posted:

Glen Cook - The Black Company
Gene Wolfe - The Book of the New Sun
If serious bulk is your goal, Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time

Gene Wolfe it is. Downloading to my kindle as we speak/type/read/ohwhatever

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Phummus posted:

Gene Wolfe it is. Downloading to my kindle as we speak/type/read/ohwhatever

Hope you enjoy it. It's rather more "literary" in style than Abercrombie et al but is a very interesting world and main character.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Phummus posted:

R Scott Bakker's Second Apocalypse series, there's five books so far, with the third one having a huge Tolkein-like encyclopedia/glossary at the end and the final book due out in about a year.

Michelle West's Sun Sword series, it has six books in the main series and some other ancillary books/series.

Robin Hobb's Farseer and Liveship, there's three trilogies altogether.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

savinhill posted:

Robin Hobb's Farseer and Liveship, there's three trilogies altogether.

There's also the Rainwild Chronicles, which is set in the same world.

Also this, coming out later in the year.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
I just read both of Warren Ellis' non-graphic novels (Crooked Little Vein and Gun Machine) and he is now my new favorite author. Anyone know anything else similar to his style?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Tofu Injection posted:

I just read both of Warren Ellis' non-graphic novels (Crooked Little Vein and Gun Machine) and he is now my new favorite author. Anyone know anything else similar to his style?

Jerry Stahl's Plainclothes Naked reminded me of Crooked Little Vein in that it was a noir with tons of insanity and unconventional and weird characters.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tofu Injection posted:

Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Hell's Angels are pretty obvious.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

savinhill posted:

Jerry Stahl's Plainclothes Naked reminded me of Crooked Little Vein in that it was a noir with tons of insanity and unconventional and weird characters.

Only a little ways into it bby this was a good reccomendation. Its sloppier than Ellis but I have to respect a book in which a major plot macguffin is a picture of George W Bush's tattooed balls.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Posted asking for recommendations in the sci fi thread before I saw this, apologies.

An author I used to really enjoy until he died was Charles Sheffield, who wrote "hard scifi" I suppose but could also write characters and dialogue so it never felt like a drag like Niven et al are to me. Might you all have suggestions for writers who take similar themes, from the edges of theoretical physics, say, and turn them into interesting stories which characters I can care about? I'm not really up to date on my scifi.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

Bilirubin posted:

Posted asking for recommendations in the sci fi thread before I saw this, apologies.

An author I used to really enjoy until he died was Charles Sheffield, who wrote "hard scifi" I suppose but could also write characters and dialogue so it never felt like a drag like Niven et al are to me. Might you all have suggestions for writers who take similar themes, from the edges of theoretical physics, say, and turn them into interesting stories which characters I can care about? I'm not really up to date on my scifi.

Maybe this http://www.amazon.com/Schrodingers-...schrodinger+gat

quote:

Schrodinger's Gat is a quantum physics noir thriller.

Paul Bayes has begun to feel like all of his actions are dictated by forces beyond his control. But when his suicide attempt is foiled by a mysterious young woman named Tali, Paul begins to wonder if the future is really as bleak as it seems. Tali possesses a strange power: the ability to predict tragedies and prevent them from happening. The possibility of breaking free from the grip of fate gives Paul hope. But when Tali disappears, Paul begins to realize that altering the future isn’t as easy as it seems: you can fight the future, but the future fights back.

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

These are strange times, my dear...
This is going to be a strange request, partly because I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. Basically, I like English words a lot and wish I knew more of them. I know that having a basic understanding of Latin roots (and maybe other languages like Greek, depending on the discipline) would help me quite a bit with that goal. However, I don't have the time to actually take a college course or look for etymological patterns in the dictionary. I do have enough time to read on occasion, though, and am wondering if there's a book that fills you in on the essential roots that will significantly improve your English comprehension.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Edit:nvm was wrong

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 23, 2014

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Haruki Murakami. I've read

- Norwegian Wood
- The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
- Kafka on the Shore
- Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

What else of his should I read? I haven't loved anything since the first two, so if there's anything outstanding I've missed, tell me.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Haruki Murakami. I've read

- Norwegian Wood
- The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
- Kafka on the Shore
- Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

What else of his should I read? I haven't loved anything since the first two, so if there's anything outstanding I've missed, tell me.

Have you checked out 1Q84?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Zola posted:

Have you checked out 1Q84?
Some people have said it's good; some people have said it's bad. I'm willing to give it a shot.