Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

So, are witnessing the end of Barcelonas golden age?

A lot could still happen, they're still in the title race and still in the champions league but they're a lot weaker than they have been for many years now. There's still another clasico to play but if they don't win that they will definitely be out of to the title race, and I doubt that they're defence is good enough to go all the way in the champions league.

On top of that, Puyol is leaving after the end of the season and they buy who knows how many defenders in the summer. Xavi isn't as good as he once was, who's going to replace him? For some bizarre reason they hosed up and let Thiago leave while letting garbagemen as Alex Song play instead. Are there any up and coming youngsters who could join the first time full time any time soon?

For such a huge club they make so many strange transfer decisions, and with their recent transfer history I just can't see how they will be able to properly replace the likes of Puyol, Valdes and Xavi and strengthen the defence enough to keep up with Real Madrid who, for once, seems to have a well worked and proper transfer strategy in place.

With all that said, Messi is still Messi, Cesc and Iniesta is obviously still around and Neymar is an amazing talent who will only get better. But I don't think that will be enough. With more and more time passing since the Guardiola era and iconic players leaving I can see them dropping down to a more normal level soon as the culture he established is gradually going away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

They'll never sink, even while the anchor of design-by-committee weighs them down.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
I can't believe they let Thiago go.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

not not luvd posted:

I can't believe they let Thiago go.

get this - they paid more for Neymar than Bale cost

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Barca will probably do something dumb in summer like still not sign any new defenders

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

euroboy posted:

Are there any up and coming youngsters who could join the first time full time any time soon?

The last time up and coming youngsters rose from the cantera and became permanent fixtures in Barcelona's starting lineup was like six years ago.

quote:

With all that said, Messi is still Messi

Nah, he isn't.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
Wonder what it would take for Messi to leave.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The last time up and coming youngsters rose from the cantera and became permanent fixtures in Barcelona's starting lineup was like six years ago.

So you think Bartra and Montoya won't make it?

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

euroboy posted:

They're poo poo. Bartra is - and Montoya will be turning - 23 years old in a months time, hardly young talents anymore. Much as I hate him, Dani Alves is an amazing right back and replacing him will be real difficult for Barcelona

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Modus Trollens posted:

get this - they paid more for Neymar than Bale cost

Not really, in that 117 figure they throw around for Neymar everything is included, taxes, agent fees, signing on fees, etc, whereas the 91m for Bale it's only the amount paid to Spurs, it's still a ridiculous amount of money and no player is worth that but don't lie to yourself.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

El Hefe posted:

Not really, in that 117 figure they throw around for Neymar everything is included, taxes, agent fees, signing on fees, etc, whereas the 91m for Bale it's only the amount paid to Spurs, it's still a ridiculous amount of money and no player is worth that but don't lie to yourself.

Even with the agent fee of £10m, only half is paid by the club - other half comes out of Bales pocket, Neymar is still more expensive lol

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Hegay posted:

Even with the agent fee of £10m, only half is paid by the club - other half comes out of Bales pocket, Neymar is still more expensive lol

Yeah you still need to add taxes to that.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Bale is twice the player Neymar is though

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 10, 2014

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

El Hefe posted:

Yeah you still need to add taxes to that.

yeah I don't think Real Madrid pay taxes?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Yann Sommer from Basel to Munchengladbach is a Done Deal so I guess ter Stegen to Barcelona will be announced soon?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
From what I've seen of Sergi Roberto he's a bit out of his depth. Thiago never really blew me away when he was at Barca, but his potential was obvious and he didn't look out of place. Roberto reminds of the succession of average midfield makeweights they had a few years ago like Gabri, Gerard etc. Not a megatalent like Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, or Ivan de la Pena.

They hosed up by letting Thiago go and they really hosed up by not going after Isco, who is gonna be amazing.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 10, 2014

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe they will just try to push Cesc further back, he's good enough to play anywhere

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
Cesc, Thiago and Busquets would have made a brilliant midfield.

NeoNaoNeo posted:

Maybe they will just try to push Cesc further back, he's good enough to play anywhere

They've really not got the best out of him IMO.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Looking forward to Barca being not as good. Cheering for as tragic team is always more enjoyable than a juggernaut.

I want Barca's struggles to mirror the position of Catalonia in Spain. That way when they eventually triumph no one will call me a front runner because I supported the club when they were only able to come in second and reach the quarter finals of the champions league.

Unlike the Madrid fans who probably support ManU (but now City), Juventus, Bayern Munich, and PSG, us Barca boys are Real Fans.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

BWV posted:

I want Barca's struggles to mirror the position of Catalonia in Spain.

You want Barca bent over being hosed by Madrid?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Blue Screen Error posted:

You want Barca bent over being hosed by Madrid?

eventually. but then they shall rise up through the inspiration of a 90 pound Brazilian to defeat their tyrannical rule

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I still cannot believe they sold Thiago...

Anyway what's happening right now is mostly the board's fault, we get hosed by Bayern 7-0 in the CL and the only signing they make is Neymar and then they bring Martino at the end of July and don't let him make a single signing and now the squad is a year older, Xavi and Puyol are a year older with Puyol not able to play even two games in a row, what did they expect?

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

BWV posted:

Looking forward to Barca being not as good. Cheering for as tragic team is always more enjoyable than a juggernaut.

I want Barca's struggles to mirror the position of Catalonia in Spain. That way when they eventually triumph no one will call me a front runner because I supported the club when they were only able to come in second and reach the quarter finals of the champions league.

Unlike the Madrid fans who probably support ManU (but now City), Juventus, Bayern Munich, and PSG, us Barca boys are Real Fans.

Dang, what a post.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Also Muniesa is showuing he can hack it in England. Barca were retarded to let him go.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

BWV posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

A couple of good goals, a ridiculous own goal and lots of Navas owning Benzema

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOrNXvulMA8

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Worst part of the Thiago situation is that I doubt they can even buy him back for double because Pep is such a huge fan of his

loving Bayern with their Barca DNA

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Jesus, how long has Ramos had that hair cut?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

euroboy posted:

I think it's very unlikely that they'll become fixed in the starting lineup, because that hardly ever happens.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

BWV posted:

Worst part of the Thiago situation is that I doubt they can even buy him back for double because Pep is such a huge fan of his

loving Bayern with their Barca DNA

Pep is a loving genius, he knew what happened to Barca last season and this one was coming and that stupid gently caress Rosell wasn't going to let him change the team and that's why he left. Thanks to Rosell we lost Pep and Thiago and we might even lose Messi.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

El Hefe posted:

Pep is a loving genius, he knew what happened to Barca last season and this one was coming and that stupid gently caress Rosell wasn't going to let him change the team and that's why he left. Thanks to Rosell we lost Pep and Thiago and we might even lose Messi.

Yeah, I'm really starting to think Messi is going to get fed up with this bullshit and go to Man City or Bayern

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Like Laporta once said though "Al loro que no estamos tan mal!", I've been hearing some very pessimistic comments and the reality is that Barca still has the possibility of winning at least 1 title considering they are in the final of the Copa del Rey, things aren't that bad.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

NattyBo posted:

Yeah, I'm really starting to think Messi is going to get fed up with this bullshit and go to Man City or Bayern

Id love seeing Messi absolutely clown Premier League defences

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think Thiago had his mind up he wanted to go wherever Pep went, as for Muniesa at the time he was all ganked up and it was unclear if he would recover from his knee injury. Hindsight is nice and all but you can't build a team around it.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Lladre posted:

Hindsight is nice and all but you can't build a team around it.

Apparently you can't build a team around an overrated anorexic Brazilian neither but Barca sure tried, by spending €117 million on one while refusing to buy defenders. What a joke.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Apparently you can't build a team around an overrated anorexic Brazilian neither but Barca sure tried, by spending €117 million on one while refusing to buy defenders. What a joke.

Saving this for the future when he turns out to be phenomenal, and you will still be fawning over some retiring Ronaldo that never stepped out of the shadow of a guy two feet shorter than him.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Neymar is a great player but paying that much money for him puts way too much pressure on him, he's still really young and I honestly believe he's going to help Brazil win the World Cup though, he turns loving super saiyajin when he plays for Brazil. Even Mourinho said he thinks he's going to be one of the figures of the WC.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Lladre posted:

Saving this for the future when he turns out to be phenomenal, and you will still be fawning over some retiring Ronaldo that never stepped out of the shadow of a guy two feet shorter than him.

Ronaldo is the Best Player In The World at the moment though

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Lladre posted:

I don't think Ronaldo has ever been in Messi's shadow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
170 goals in 158 games. Those are legendary numbers

e 239 in 234 all competitions jesus

• Locked thread