Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Tin Miss posted:

I swear if Beth ends up in some creepy rape dungeon I am done with this show.

I don't know whether I'd quit watching but I'll be considerably upset if anything serious happens to her. She's perhaps retained the most of her humanity next to Hershel, who is now dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Her name is Reek now.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fair to Midland posted:

I'm so lost, so the flashback, when was that? Before the Governor's town? So Glenn and Daryl knew Bob before then? .. or what? And why was Maggie laying with walkers and said she was waiting for Sasha and Bob? How the hell would she expect that?

Normally I poo poo on people that don't seem to follow the show but this episode baffled me, and I'm even excusing the silent zombie horde at the door that Daryl opened.

That's when they picked up Bob, you know, just between the last season and this one when they were out looking for survivors and Michonne was hunting for the Gov?

Is this poo poo really that hard to figure out?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Was Beth even kidnapped? I figured it was "Zombies! Get in!" framed as a kidnapping so we'd worry about her for two episodes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

moths posted:

Was Beth even kidnapped? I figured it was "Zombies! Get in!" framed as a kidnapping so we'd worry about her for two episodes.

There really weren't any walkers around where she dropped her bag.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If she wasn't kidnapped are we to assume she just drove off in that car, and left Daryl in the dust?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Was it just me or did Lauren Cohan look amazingly hot with a blood splattered face after she went roadsign on those zombies?

Overall, the ep was pretty decent. Some Sasha and Bob exploring was good. I've grown to like the Darryl and Beth team, so hopefully she's okay.

tl;dr- Bob rules.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Look, guys, we really want to do this "Darryl joins a bandit group" storyline, so we had some unseen characters come and abduct Beth from the plot off-screen.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't know what were supposed to get from that one weird scene between Daryl and Beth but what came across was really goddamn uncomfortable sexual tension. I know in my head that they could date in real life and it wouldn't be weird, but the characters? ugh.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

SocketWrench posted:

That's when they picked up Bob, you know, just between the last season and this one when they were out looking for survivors and Michonne was hunting for the Gov?

Is this poo poo really that hard to figure out?

Yes, a flashback to an non-event that does not relate to the current episode is hard to figure out.

And just to preempt: Bob just being in the episode does not make the flashback relevant.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lycus posted:

Look, guys, we really want to do this "Darryl joins a bandit group" storyline, so we had some unseen characters come and abduct Beth from the plot off-screen.

I feel like that whole thing with them should have been the last half of last episode, instead of apart of this one.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

MeLKoR posted:

Yeah, my money is on the Terminus people being cannibals. Why scavenge for food when you can have the food come to you?

The place is also conveniently named for a god of protecting boundaries who regularly received sacrifices.

Lifted from wiki: "Siculus Flaccus, a writer on land surveying, records the ritual by which the stone was sanctified: the bones, ashes, and blood of a sacrificial victim, along with crops, honeycombs, and wine, were placed into a hole at a point where estates converged, and the stone was driven in on top.[3]...The marker itself would be drenched in the blood of a sacrificed lamb or pig."

I was already expecting this to turn out to be some sort of apocalyptic cult poo poo because that's the kind of show this is, and then I looked up the name. :stare: They set up the abduction trap house to fuel their ritual human sacrifices!

That or the writers just wanted to sound pretentious with some random Latin.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I, for one, will be disappointed if there isn't eventually a band of cannibals introduced for antagonists. Gotta have some cannibals in post-apocalypse stories.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I just thought of a hosed up zombie type I've never seen in a zombie film: A conjoined twin, one dead, one not.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know, I just thought of a hosed up zombie type I've never seen in a zombie film: A conjoined twin, one dead, one not.

It's too real. In real life when one twin dies the other only has a few hours left anyway. Getting eaten would be a mercy compared to that terror.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The perfect thing to do in an unfamiliar house that is obviously recently occupied is to play the piano with your back to the door in the dark.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

The perfect thing to do in an unfamiliar house that is obviously recently occupied is to play the piano with your back to the door in the dark.

The number of times they both had their backs to doors in a clearly still occupied house was unnerving. I was sort of happy they never actually paid that off because it was such a cheap setup.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

rypakal posted:

The number of times they both had their backs to doors in a clearly still occupied house was unnerving. I was sort of happy they never actually paid that off because it was such a cheap setup.

But instead we got ninja zombies so we still didn't really win with that scenario.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Apoplexy posted:

Only 3 more episodes for the season? It hardly feels like anything has aired with the pace they've given us.

Yeah when I saw that in the preview I was surprised.

We're gonna get another 3 episodes of walking followed by a cliffhanger.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

THE PWNER posted:

We're gonna get another 3 episodes of walking followed by a cliffhanger.

Are there any characters left who haven't seen the Terminus sign yet? Because if not, they'll finally have to do something new to advance the story arc.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

But instead we got ninja zombies so we still didn't really win with that scenario.

The ones at the door? They had plenty of time to appear, and/or they were deliberately set on the house.

Did anyone else think Daryl was grabbing that dog to cook it?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I'm thinkin' it was a trap house. No one around, yet everything's clean. Random supplies that would convince anyone to go for'em, looks fairly secure, then suddenly a mob of zombies at the front door and a car out back that just happened to be there that exact moment.

Yes, a flashback to an non-event that does not relate to the current episode is hard to figure out.

And just to preempt: Bob just being in the episode does not make the flashback relevant.

I'm not sure why.
Look, it's Bob
Glenn and Daryl are together, riding vehicles, and asks him if he wants to join, coupled with the first episode of the season talking about finding him...yeah, if it's that hard, may I suggest you lay down before you hurt yourself?

Wasn't it just last week people were bitching they don't do flashbacks in the opening scenes anymore?

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 10, 2014

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

SocketWrench posted:

I'm thinkin' it was a trap house. No one around, yet everything's clean. Random supplies that would convince anyone to go for'em, looks fairly secure, then suddenly a mob of zombies at the front door and a car out back that just happened to be there that exact moment.

It was all way too perfect. Either it was a trap or a fakeout. With the car out front if it's not a trap then it's gonna be quite unbelievable, but I really don't like the implications of a young female character being kidnapped. We don't need to go full Kirkman.

Evil Queen Bee
Sep 7, 2011

mushroom_spore posted:

The place is also conveniently named for a god of protecting boundaries who regularly received sacrifices.

Terminus was also the original name for Atlanta due to it being the terminus of a rail line. The fact all of these other rail lines seem to be heading for it makes me think that is where the name comes from. It could also be a double meaning with your explanation.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
/\/\ :argh:

mushroom_spore posted:

That or the writers just wanted to sound pretentious with some random Latin.

Or it just refers to the actual history of Atlanta and isn't some weird Latin reference. Also what god didn't regularly receive sacrifices back in the day?

With that said though I'd be completely down with Terminus being something super weird. I know it's not a location from the comics so I hope they used the chance to get really creative with it and didn't just make Woodbury 2.0. Can't wait to watch an episode about Tyrese and Carol, then an episode about Rick, then the season finale where they all meet, and then find out what Terminus is next season!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

El Boot posted:

The dog is secretly behind Terminus.

Originally from the Dexter thread, but:

Was it just me, or did everyone seem to be acting a little more irrational than usual in this episode? You had Daryl and Beth holing up in a house they knew was being used and dicking around, Sasha wanting to live in the first building she saw because living alone isn't as dangerous as living in a community? I guess?... Maggie leaving Bob and Sasha in the woods and running off by herself for no reason other than Sasha was reluctant, then Maggie waiting for them to catch up from the magnificent vantage point of lying on her back between walkers behind a building.

Did I just really miss a lot? I feel like I must have.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The opening scene was a montage of Bob wandering alone before Darryl and Glenn find him and bring him to the prison. We see he's depressed, drinking cough syrup, and basically looks empty. This is all stuff that has been alluded to before as Bob has said numerous times he was alone, drinking, and thought he was cursed to be that way.

The episode is all about these small groups of survivors being threatened with being split from each other so they're alone. Beth and Darryl, who have grown close since the prison fell, are separated and left alone. Beth gets possibly taken by strangers while Darryl ends up at the mercy of the bandit group and joins them for survival.

Bob spends the whole time trying to keep his small group together and move them towards finding more, either their missing loved ones or Terminus. He flat out says he's happy because he isn't alone like the first two times his groups fell apart and that he was wrong before. The episode ends with Maggie and Sasha catching up with him and him smiling that he's not alone. Like the way he was in the opening montage.

It's not complicated.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I think I would enjoy following around all of these tiny groups of prison survivors a lot more if I didn't know they were all destined to be reunited in the very near future. Yeah a couple minor characters and maybe 1 main character will die on the way to Terminus, but the writers aren't good enough to Game of Thrones this poo poo and keep multiple storylines going for more than a few episodes.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

STAC Goat posted:

The opening scene was a montage of Bob wandering alone before Darryl and Glenn find him and bring him to the prison. We see he's depressed, drinking cough syrup, and basically looks empty.

The episode ends with Maggie and Sasha catching up with him and him smiling that he's not alone. Like the way he was in the opening montage.

It's not complicated.

It's really not complicated at all.

I watched this ep while talking to my wife about something completely unrelated and buying a few things from ebay. There is nothing subtle or difficult about this show, everything is right there on the screen in 50ft high flashing neon letters. Aside from a few stand-out episodes Walking Dead is basically dumbshit apocalypse fanfic at this point. If the flashback wasn't utterly apparent from the first 10 seconds then, yikes.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Almost Smart posted:

That was a pretty cool opening montage all things considered. Hopefully it's not the highlight of the episode.

And it was.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I can't decide if the writers think the audience is stupid (possible and accurate) and needs hand-holding to understand character motivation, or if they're just bad at writing non-action/non-plot driven scenes. I'm fine with spending multiple episodes on character development, but give me something new and interesting and paced well. They spent 4 episodes doing what they could have done in 3.

There's no reason why Michonne/Carl/Rick or Beth/Darryl each needed 60 minutes of story for what has actually happened thus far. Even the Maggie/Bob/Sasha group has already repeated its story: Maggie will stop at nothing to find Glenn, but she realizes she needs help from other people; Bob, who used to be depressed and alone, has a revelation about being given another chance to find a purpose in this world; Sasha is in despair, but she reluctantly fights on.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Naet posted:

I can't decide if the writers think the audience is stupid (possible and accurate) and needs hand-holding to understand character motivation, or if they're just bad at writing non-action/non-plot driven scenes. I'm fine with spending multiple episodes on character development, but give me something new and interesting and paced well. They spent 4 episodes doing what they could have done in 3.

There's no reason why Michonne/Carl/Rick or Beth/Darryl each needed 60 minutes of story for what has actually happened thus far. Even the Maggie/Bob/Sasha group has already repeated its story: Maggie will stop at nothing to find Glenn, but she realizes she needs help from other people; Bob, who used to be depressed and alone, has a revelation about being given another chance to find a purpose in this world; Sasha is in despair, but she reluctantly fights on.

What has tons of story potential? Having everyone split up, and following them to a reunion, and spending some time with the characters. What have they done with it? Wander around. This is starting to feel like Season 2.

I was wondering to myself why the show feels like it's wasting so much time until I was thinking about the latest Telltale game episodes, and I think I see the major problem: The characters there are encountering things, either running across people or places all the time that allow the characters to, well, do things, and build character that way.

Character development and dialogue are really good things, but ask yourself one question: What more have we learned about anyone from this? Do you know more about Maggie now than you did before this began? Or Glenn? Or Rick? Or Michonne? Or Daryl? To me it feels like I've learned exactly zero from all of it about their characters, with no new insights or evolution to them. Because character development actually does require stuff to happen.

Oh yeah, this extends to the intro with Bob. It wasn't every effective at communicating what they wanted to, as the theme of the episode; it was just Bob doing exactly what Bob said he did when Daryl had that talk. They didn't need to show us what they've already revealed to us. What would have been far better is showing Bob with his second group before they got wiped out, letting us see how he was the sole survivor; then maybe show us him struggling to stay alive on his own after and basically being a "drowning man" when they show up.

Hell, maybe they could have found some way (nested flashback?) to show us how he was the sole survivor twice in a row, and really make us feel like he's lost everyone twice. It'd been something new and offered a chance to develop a character rather than just repeat development already made.

Instead it looked like he was doing pretty well making his way across the wasteland. He keeps telling us how bad it was but I sure didn't get that from the episode start, despite that being the entire episode intro motivation.

I hope we get a little something more on Michonne before the end of the season, too. Because what have we learned about her since the prison fall? She had a kid and a boyfriend/friend and she took sword lessons (no poo poo). We already, again, had been given this information rather subtly before and it was just an empty confirmation with all the detail held back.

EDIT: Oh yeah, for all my bitching, I'll still take slow and uneventful over the aggressive stupidity of some other shows lately.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 10, 2014

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

He keeps telling us how bad it was but I sure didn't get that from the episode start, despite that being the entire episode intro motivation.

It was all over his face, his eyes, his body language. You'd have to be blind (or autistic, I suppose) not to see it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Andrew Verse posted:

It was all over his face, his eyes, his body language. You'd have to be blind (or autistic, I suppose) not to see it.

Well he doesn't look happy by any means, but who does? It's the apocalypse. He didn't look like he was the survivor of any real traumatic experience in exception to what anyone else has gone through.

poo poo, for a comparison, The Governor at the start of that aborted redemption arc looked like everything Bob should have: Dazed, hopeless, lost and blankly staring at the world. I got that from him. With the Bob intro he might as well have said "I was holed up in a bunker but I had to leave, haven't had a group" or something and it would not have felt remotely out of place.

Also, again, Daryl at the end of the episode looks more destroyed and hopeless than Bob did at the start.

Don't get me wrong; I like Bob's character. But that intro gave me no new information I didn't get from that little talk they had. There's tons of things they could have shown us in Bob's past; if we saw the hell he went through instead, watching everyone killed twice and more importantly how he was the last survivor two times in a row, it'd at least allowed us to see something new. [Edit: poo poo, this sounds like a far more interesting episode than the last several, screw just being an intro.]

The TV rule is "Show, don't tell" not "Tell then show."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 10, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Are there any characters left who haven't seen the Terminus sign yet? Because if not, they'll finally have to do something new to advance the story arc.

Next episode looks like it's mostly the Psycho Girl group, the episode after that could be a Glenn/Rick episode, and then the finale is them finally all arriving at Terminus.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

Next episode looks like it's mostly the Psycho Girl group, the episode after that could be a Glenn/Rick episode, and then the finale is them finally all arriving at Terminus.

The one thing that bothers me about the Terminus thing is why the gently caress Rick's group would be interested in, or remotely believe, that this place was legit. I mean they are literally scattered because of someone claiming the same kinds of things and have gone through that Woodsbury poo poo, too. If I was anyone in Rick's group and was not specifically thinking someone would have gone there I was trying to find, I'd probably look at the map and find the fastest route in the other direction.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

The one thing that bothers me about the Terminus thing is why the gently caress Rick's group would be interested in, or remotely believe, that this place was legit. I mean they are literally scattered because of someone claiming the same kinds of things and have gone through that Woodsbury poo poo, too. If I was anyone in Rick's group and was not specifically thinking someone would have gone there I was trying to find, I'd probably look at the map and find the fastest route in the other direction.

But what is the alternative, wander around on your own with almost nothing but what you are wearing, after just fighting in a (brief yet quite dangerous) battle, and just hope you find "something good"? They're tired and starving and are sleeping outside, so you can't blame them for trusting and hoping, I guess.

Shambler
Jul 9, 2000
It feels like time to let it go
It feels like time to break or show
It feels like time to cut your brakes
Shut your mouth, do something, anything

Shambler
Jul 9, 2000
It feels like time to let it go
It feels like time to break or show
It feels like time to cut your brakes
Shut your mouth, do something, anything
Holy poo poo, I have not been on here in so long, I gotta get my GLEEK tag changed, who the hell still watches that poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

Because 'believe that good things/people are still out there' is the major theme for the second half of this season. Plus where else are they going to go? They can't call each other up and say 'meet me here.' They are all separated into small groups and their only chance to find each other again is to go to some place that is offering/advertising sanctuary far and wide.

Woodbury was somewhat willing to give safety to those who found it, but they weren't out advertising it. By advertising their location it can be assumed that Terminus is large enough to be relatively safe from zombies, but also ready and able to defend itself against unsavory human groups as well.

Sure it's possibly a trap, but it's equally likely to be a safe haven. So it only makes sense to go there and find out.

• Locked thread