Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Neruz posted:

That is true; if you can fort a cheap crossbow province (or even better a hoburg crossbow province) you are pretty much set offensively.

Or just be LA man. Longbowmen are sweet, but crossbowmen are sweeter. Even your blockers for you crossbowmen have crossbows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

But totally unmatched in it with normal 40 gold mind blasters and sacred 60 gold mind blasters.
Yeah but can those units do anything on the shore? No. If there are enough thrones to win on land, EA R'lyeh will lose every game. If there aren't, the guy with all of the land provices at the end of the game is going to be slightly annoyed and it'll end in a stupid stalemate, Because Underwater Factions.

They don't have national land units, getting a single decent mage onto land requires 10 gems, including air gems that are rare as hell underwater (good luck trading them for water gems, a thing nobody really wants), and then once you're there it's not like people aren't going to rush to kill your stuff before you can get a lab up and teleport away if they've got any sense.

Bad faction.

Also LA Pan is legit garbage.

Nearly every faction in LA has units which can go through the Awe on its cap-only sacreds, with some combination of Undead, berserkers, crossbowmen, Demons, etc. etc. (none of which it's remotely equipped to deal with outside of enormous communions), and their "hard hitters" (once) are very hard to mass, and you do need to mass them.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 9, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well mindhunting people who try to intrude onto your property and seeing them all drown is funny.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
This message goes out to, well, you know who you are:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

sullat posted:

This message goes out to, well, you know who you are:

That's a very appropriate province name.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
What happened?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

What happened?

I would guess Thetis' Blessing got dispelled.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Somebody wished for population and those dudes were in the province the population came from.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

What happened?

An underwater nation wished for population, transporting everyone in my province to one of his. Since I neglected to provide them with water breathing gear...

I think this water nation's plan is to cast wish until everyone in the world is dead, so he can walk up on the land uncontested.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't really play multiplayer, so I basically just want to know whether there's enough new content to keep me entertained in singleplayer for a while, because I basically played Dom3 to death. I've been a fan of the series for ages, but 25€ is a lot of money for me right now. I guess I can just wait for the next sale, though.

Sorry I'm a bit late replying to this. As someone who is also primarily interested in singleplayer, I wouldn't say that the new content itself has been what I've appreciated the most. It takes a relatively short time to experience most of the new content that's interesting to you, since the majority of units, items and spells are unchanged from Dom3. The changes to base mechanics, balance-based additions (like water or death alternatives to mistform for thugs) and upgrades to the UI are what made the purchase worth it for me - not things like a few new nations or a few new summons. As I said in my last post, being able to use new user-created content also does a lot for me, so if you feel similarly, I'd take that into consideration.

I feel Dom4 is a good example of a game being the product of an iterative process, rather than a narratively/thematically/mechanically distinct product like some game-sequels are.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

sullat posted:

An underwater nation wished for population, transporting everyone in my province to one of his. Since I neglected to provide them with water breathing gear...

I think this water nation's plan is to cast wish until everyone in the world is dead, so he can walk up on the land uncontested.

I didn't realize that transported units, I thought it only moved civilian population around. lol

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

I didn't realize that transported units, I thought it only moved civilian population around. lol

Yea I didn't realize wish could be that offensively powerful.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Signing up as a water nation in every game from now on.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Signing up as a water nation in every game from now on.
You can do it with any nation that has any Air or Water magic plus astral.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Donkringel posted:

Yea I didn't realize wish could be that offensively powerful.

ehhh, it depends on how it picks the province. If it gives you all the pop from the most populated province then yeah that's pretty powerful, if it chooses a province at random then it's cool but not that amazing, and at any rate population doesn't matter nearly as much by the time anyone is casting wish

Also, without dominion 3's clam spam you have to be Pelagia or get extremely lucky and find an alteration site to really spam wishes

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

jBrereton posted:

You can do it with any nation that has any Air or Water magic plus astral.

It randomly picks a enemy province to move to a random one of your provinces, so you need to have all of your provinces be underwater to murderize 25 mages.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Hmm.

OK, I guess.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

ehhh, it depends on how it picks the province. If it gives you all the pop from the most populated province then yeah that's pretty powerful, if it chooses a province at random then it's cool but not that amazing, and at any rate population doesn't matter nearly as much by the time anyone is casting wish

Also, without dominion 3's clam spam you have to be Pelagia or get extremely lucky and find an alteration site to really spam wishes

Doesn't it bias the selection for larger provinces? In that case it would be more likely to select capitals and the like.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Wait, does transported civilian population transfer between land and oceans fine?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

Wait, does transported civilian population transfer between land and oceans fine?

All peasants are given scuba gear upon arrival.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Nuclearmonkee posted:

All peasants are given scuba gear upon arrival.

In the true spirit of dominions

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Ugh I've been looking at LA C'tis, and I have no idea what kind of pretender to take

They seem to desperately need some kind of awake SC, maybe with earth and astral magic, but their pretender selection might be the worst of any nation I've ever wanted to gently caress around with. Does anyone have any ideas/experience with them?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Take the best dog and he can eat enemy thugs with his instant death bite.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You want whatever lets you poo poo out Sauromancers and your bitchin undead priests the fastest. Access to hidden in sand is a plus because more undead priests means more tomb chariots.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Doesn't it bias the selection for larger provinces? In that case it would be more likely to select capitals and the like.

Now I'm thinking about what would happen if population is transferred from an underwater province to dry land. Would units who can't leave the water die, too? Or just become immobile in their new province?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Libluini posted:

Now I'm thinking about what would happen if population is transferred from an underwater province to dry land. Would units who can't leave the water die, too? Or just become immobile in their new province?

Having teleported a void fungus pretender to land before (:froggonk:) I can tell you that underwater units die instantly if they appear above water.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Ctis can expand fine now (a small group of poison slingers and blockers, desert rangers if you can find a waste) so do whatever you like. Great sage to get skelespam earlyish? Dragon to expand (if they get it)? Devourer of souls to annoy people and get afflicted in the first indep province it stumbles in to? They're all things that work, to some extent.

The best build for Ctis is scales. Because they are lizards. Don't skimp out on the money, sauromancers aren't that pricy but str means you need loads of forts.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

-Troika- posted:

Having teleported a void fungus pretender to land before (:froggonk:) I can tell you that underwater units die instantly if they appear above water.

I'm just curious, what kind of kill message did you get? Was it some generic "X is dead" message, or something that references what actually happened like the "X drowned" messages from underwater?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Libluini posted:

I'm just curious, what kind of kill message did you get? Was it some generic "X is dead" message, or something that references what actually happened like the "X drowned" messages from underwater?

Do a quick test yourself, play an underwater nation with aquatic astral mages, teleport said mage onto a conquered land province.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

There's your message.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

jBrereton posted:

There's your message.

The English language being created by land dwelling monkeys with delusions of grandeur, for some reason has no word for the terrible sensation of your lungs emptying of water and you no longer begin able to breath, but Drowning fits. Drowning in air.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

There's your message.

Too late, I've already made a short test game and teleported my pretender on land. She drowned in the Shunned Lands. :v:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Bonus points for sending kraken to fight in arena

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I Love You! posted:

Bonus points for sending kraken to fight in arena

I was wondering about that. I've sent sea creatures with the air breathing item but I didn't know if it was required.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Have you ever wondered what 100 PD looks like?

100 jaguar tribe warriors, 100 jaguar tribe slingers, 81 fir bolg militia, 81 fir bolg slingers, and 40 fir bolg warriors, at a cost of over 5000 pounds of gold.

It's like a giant Evo shooting range, except there's no possible way to miss.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Microcline posted:

Have you ever wondered what 100 PD looks like?

100 jaguar tribe warriors, 100 jaguar tribe slingers, 81 fir bolg militia, 81 fir bolg slingers, and 40 fir bolg warriors, at a cost of over 5000 pounds of gold.

It's like a giant Evo shooting range, except there's no possible way to miss.

Leave Kitfox alone you guys.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I hadn't had a chance to build a fort there yet. :colbert:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I was wondering about that. I've sent sea creatures with the air breathing item but I didn't know if it was required.

It's not, I've sent aquatic units into the arena without air breathing items and they didn't airdrown.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

I hadn't had a chance to build a fort there yet. :colbert:
Why are you spending all of your Sidhe Warrior gold on PD? :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

jBrereton posted:

Why are you spending all of your Sidhe Warrior gold on PD? :cripes:

but sidhe warriors have upkeep so it's less efficient to use them obviously?? :pseudo: my huge army led by lugh is currently on the other side of my poo poo site searching because i'm bad at this game, so i panicked and threw down 100pd when i saw two stacks by the province

• Locked thread