Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

ArchRanger posted:

He's very open about his atheism, and isn't a huge fan of conservatism, though he's quieter on that front from what I remember.

I hadn't heard about him speaking out against conservatism, but I guess I haven't followed him that much.

I didn't think simply being an atheist was enough to be worthy of scorn, but I guess it shouldn't be surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I seriously can't understand how they can hate on Neil deGrasse Tyson. Is it just because he's a scientist? I don't remember him ever saying anything that anybody would really think is all that controversial.

I'd expect people to be more pissy about Seth MacFarlane being associated with the show.

He's an intelligent black man.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Logikv9 posted:

Freep probably is more comfortable with the geocentric theory, or Cosmos: Edited for Rednecks.

There is a FReeper named Geocentric Dan who literally believes in Geocentrism. He would argue it to death and well past the point of any sense any chance that he got.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Zeroisanumber posted:

There is a FReeper named Geocentric Dan who literally believes in Geocentrism. He would argue it to death and well past the point of any sense any chance that he got.

That Catholic nut Michael Voris often pimps geocentrism on his YouTube shows or whatever the gently caress it is now. I'm not going to wade through them to find it, because gently caress that, but it's out there.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

ArchRanger posted:

He's very open about his atheism, and isn't a huge fan of conservatism, though he's quieter on that front from what I remember.

He's not open about his atheism because he's not an atheist.

quote:

In an interview with Big Think, Tyson said agnosticism was the best description of his views about truth values of claims pertaining to the existence of God(s), but that "at the end of the day I'd rather not be any category at all." Similarly, during the interview "Called by the Universe: A conversation with Neil deGrasse Tyson" in 2009, Tyson said: "I can't agree to the claims by atheists that I'm one of that community."

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
The reason Freepers are anti-intellectual is the same reason Freepers are anything: spite. They are an uneducated lot so in order to maintain their sense of superiority they have to de-legitimize education. It really is that simple.

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!
More hatred for Cosmos and Degrasse Tyson and Carl Sagan. Of course.

quote:

To: 12th_Monkey
Tyson is an affirmative action bad joke. I turn him off whenever he comes on. My son hates him.

75 posted on January 13, 2014 at 3:58:32 PM PST by montag813
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

To: dangus
Agreed. Not sure at all if I’ll like Tyson’s version. But, if I can tolerate Morgan Freeman, who’s an even bigger racist, then I can probably watch this.

70 posted on January 13, 2014 at 12:55:20 PM PST by Cyber Liberty (H.L. Mencken: "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Zuben Elgenubi
I recall that Sagan admitted in his later years that he was a big pot-head, smoking every day.
-PJ

71 posted on January 13, 2014 at 12:58:46 PM PST by Political Junkie Too (If you are the Posterity of We the People, then you are a Natural Born Citizen.)

quote:

Oh, crap. I heard they were redoing it. But Neil DeGrasse Tyson is an arrogant, hateful, bigoted know-nothing.

2 posted on January 13, 2014 at 10:40:24 AM PST by dangus

quote:

But Neil DeGrasse Tyson is an arrogant, hateful, bigoted know-nothing.
And an atheist like Carl Sagan, although Tyson doesn't have the guts to come out of the closet.
8 posted on January 13, 2014 at 10:48:15 AM PST by oh8eleven (RVN '67-'68)

quote:

Maybe they should try to find out what Carl Sagan found out about his “There is no God” statement when he reached the Pearly Gates. What’s that old saw?

Sagan: There is no God.
God: There is no Sagan.

3 posted on January 13, 2014 at 10:41:27 AM PST by laweeks

quote:

But Neil DeGrasse Tyson is an arrogant, hateful, bigoted know-nothing.
I'm happy to see that I'm not the only who can't stand that smarmy bastid.

13 posted on January 13, 2014 at 10:54:36 AM PST by Bloody Sam Roberts ("The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." - George Orwell)

Why is Tyson such an 'arrogant' ' bigoted' 'racist'? Oh right...

Fruity Rudy fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 10, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fruity Rudy posted:

Why is Tyson such a ' bigoted' 'racist'? I would hate to think they're saying something out of an ulterior motive.

Because once one of 'em gets a little book learnin', he starts getting uppity, puttin' on airs like he's better'n the white man.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Fruity Rudy posted:

More hatred for Cosmos and Degrasse Tyson and Carl Sagan. Of course.

Why is Tyson such an 'arrogant' ' bigoted' 'racist'? Oh right...

He's also a bastid.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I had a "date" a few years back with a very racist woman. Her big soapbox was that black people just cannot learn. She literally would not shut up about it. Because of this I'm not surprised that freepeers are putting Dr. Tyson up as a poster child for affirmative action.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Iron Crowned posted:

I had a "date" a few years back with a very racist woman. Her big soapbox was that black people just cannot learn. She literally would not shut up about it. Because of this I'm not surprised that freepeers are putting Dr. Tyson up as a poster child for affirmative action.

It seems like such a spurious insult on top of being racist. His academic background and it's rigorousness aren't his main selling points, it's the way he can articulate and spread his passion for science and space. And accusations of egomania and seeking the spotlight from a forum filled with diehard Sarah Palin fans is laughable.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

This Tyson hate just blows my mind. From all the videos and interviews I've seen of his he has a real passion for trying to explain a lot of confusing scientific models/theories to the average layman without talking down to his audience. He's like the exact opposite of the stereotypical ivy-tower intellectual that looks down on the unwashed masses. I just...:confused:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BadOptics posted:

This Tyson hate just blows my mind. From all the videos and interviews I've seen of his he has a real passion for trying to explain a lot of confusing scientific models/theories to the average layman without talking down to his audience. He's like the exact opposite of the stereotypical ivy-tower intellectual that looks down on the unwashed masses. I just...:confused:

I agree, but it is freep we're talking about. A black man being that smart is not something that fits their world view.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
They actually love people in ivory towers who look down on the masses, just as long as that person in the ivory tower isn't telling them things that they don't want to hear. NdGT is an intelligent, articulate, successful black person. His mere existence invalidates a lot of their bone-deep beliefs about race, intelligence, and what it takes to be successful. That, combined with the fact that he's teaching "evolution" (everything that involves change over time is part of the theory of evolution to them, if you weren't in on that fact) and he's a nonbeliever is enough to have them thirsty for blood.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
I thought AA was only a factor during the admissions process, i mean black kids still have to do all that fancy book learnin' the white kids are doing. Or do people think that it's some kind of magic wand that guarantees a testamur?

It's the same nonsense that you get with Obama, that affirmative action was somehow the sole reason he succeeded academically and earned his JD while graduating magna cum laude from Harvard.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

BadOptics posted:

He's an intelligent, articulate, well-liked black man. Obviously, that won't do.

Also, he used to look like this:

Naturally, Freepers are pretty sure Tyson also has a huge dick, so he makes them feel all-over inadequate.

The Sagan-marijuana comment is Freepstrain gold: "Carl Sagan is a world-renowned astronomer, author, and educator who brought knowledge, understanding, and entertainment to the masses for decades, the loving pot-head. Is that what you want for your children?"

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BadOptics posted:

Why are you implying these people are confused by science? Would you like to have some affirmative action thug talking down to you like you were a dummy that needed explanations? They get all the science they need from the source, the bible.

TheIllestVillain posted:

I thought AA was only a factor during the admissions process, i mean black kids still have to do all that fancy book learnin' the white kids are doing. Or do people think that it's some kind of magic wand that guarantees a testamur?

It's the same nonsense that you get with Obama, that affirmative action was somehow the sole reason he succeeded academically and earned his JD while graduating magna cum laude from Harvard.
I bet his dissertation was all written in ebonics. That's an instant PhD.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
When Cosmos came on, I said, "I can't wait till it's over so I can check the FReep thread!" Hope is lost.
President Obama to introduce ‘Cosmos’ debut Sunday

quote:

To: Chode
Remember the Kojak reboot?
29 by Olog-hai

quote:

To: Olog-hai
Why would anyone watch scrubama when there are perfectly good reruns of “Joanie Loves Chachi” available for viewing?
46 by rhinohunter (Freepers aren't booing -- they're shouting "Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuz")
OLD TV > NEW TV

quote:

To: Olog-hai
Simultaneously, Vladimir Putin will be introducing Cosmos to Ukraine!
56 by Political Junkie Too (If you are the Posterity of We the People, then you are a Natural Born Citizen.)
That big, manly stud with this tricycle and eyes like bottomless pools of clear state-owned water.

Rebooting 'Cosmos': Neil DeGrasse Tyson Explains Why Iconic TV Series Returns in 2014

quote:

Now were up to trillions and trillions and trillions of DEBT!
14 by Jack Hydrazine (Pubbies = national collectivists; Dems = international collectivists; me = independent conservative)

quote:

To: Lonesome in Massachussets
"where Sagan would come down in the winter for volleyball and run and coke-cola with the coeds."
Yep, sounds about right.
63 by Zuben Elgenubi (NOPe to GOPe)
In which Sagan is discredited for hanging out with girls and drinking.

quote:

To: SunkenCiv
Loved him and the whole shebang until I found out we have him to thank for the entire ‘greenhouse effect’ BS - only because he couldn’t face being wrong about Venus NOT having a temperature like Earth AND THAT ITS SURFACE WAS MOLTEN!
So every time I hear ‘global warming’ I think of that weasel. His legacy is AL GORE and the greatest fraud perpetrated by the UN.
80 by Fred Nerks (fair dinkum!)
Somehow, this mental gymnast has managed to take a stab at Al Gore. Unsurprisingly, this comment sparked a string of anti-Global Warming stuff.

quote:

This thing was worse than my worst fears. Just awful. They had no voice, no message, no audience in mind. It does not rise to the level of hokey. An embarrassment, and worse, a wasted opportunity.
Carl Sagan was a good scientist and a great salesman. His vision, his message drove the original Cosmos. Dr. Tyson probably did as well as could be expected given the material, but he is very much a lesser epigone of Sagan. Great special effects and computer graphics in the service of a muddled and confused message. The fancy-schmatzy computer graphics added to the confusion and detracted from whatever message they thought they had. The cheesy “Also Sprach Zarathustra” Musik didn’t help, either. If you watched the first episode you know less about the cosmos than before.
Four rotten tomatoes. In case I wasn’t clear, I HATED IT.
102 by Lonesome in Massachussets (In the long run, we are all dead.)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheIllestVillain posted:

To be honest, I have no real idea about how much AA played into NDT's education, and frankly I doubt that freepers do either.

NDT was on Fresh Air a couple weeks ago and had a mini-rant about that, that I hadn't thought about before. Basically he said that whenever a black man is good at something or successful, it's always chalked up to natural talent, and none of the hard work that actually went into it.

To the freep types, all black people are lazy, and when they're successful, like NDT, it's because someone else footed the bill for it, they just had to! There's no way that a black child earned money walking dogs to buy his first telescope, or paid his way though college by being a math tutor, he had to have taken gubment money from hardworking white men.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

To be honest, I have no real idea about how much AA played into NDT's education, and frankly I doubt that freepers do either.

NDT was on Fresh Air a couple weeks ago and had a mini-rant about that, that I hadn't thought about before. Basically he said that whenever a black man is good at something or successful, it's always chalked up to natural talent, and none of the hard work that actually went into it.

To the freep types, all black people are lazy, and when they're successful, like NDT, it's because someone else footed the bill for it, they just had to! There's no way that a black child earned money walking dogs to buy his first telescope, or paid his way though college by being a math tutor, he had to have taken gubment money from hardworking white men.

Affirmative action just lets a person's gender or ethnicity be one of the subjective factors that admissions people can use to make a choice. You have two candidates who both meet the requirements for admission, so how do you choose? The answer is hardly ever just pure GPA: things like interests expressed, references, personal history and family relationship to the school all play a role. Even when a black student may have slightly poorer grades (and often this isn't the case, the candidates are equal or the minority candidate is superior), it's not like admitting them over someone else is some unprecedented travesty of justice ;tons of white students get in for reasons other than grades too. Just usually not for being white (unless you count family connections).

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm completely unaware of anything NDT has ever said or done that would in any way justify this level of freeper hate aside from being an intelligent successful black man. Which I suppose is plenty.

Has the guy ever been vocal about politics in any way?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Zwabu posted:

I'm completely unaware of anything NDT has ever said or done that would in any way justify this level of freeper hate aside from being an intelligent successful black man. Which I suppose is plenty.

Has the guy ever been vocal about politics in any way?

Freepers are being racist here for sure, but I think in this case I think most of their rage is more their anti-science bent. I mean they hate Bill Nye too. If you hate Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye... that's a loving deep rabbit hole that seems to have more to do with global warming/evolution stuff than it does race. Bill Nye is loving boss as hell, and right wingers would be trying to claim him left and right if it weren't for their hatred of science.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 10, 2014

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ErIog posted:

Freepers are being racist here for sure, but I think in this case I think most of their rage is more their anti-science bent. I mean they hate Bill Nye too. If you hate Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye... that's a loving deep rabbit hole that seems to have more to do with global warming/evolution stuff than it does race. Bill Nye is loving boss as hell, and right wingers would be trying to claim him left and right if it weren't for their hatred of science.

Yeah but why wouldn't they just ignore a show like Cosmos instead of venting against it? Or is it because Cosmos type shows tend to accept a Big Bang Theory as opposed to "literally Genesis"? Was the original Sagan Cosmos ever controversial because of this? I should remember this because I lived through those years, but I don't.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Zwabu posted:

Yeah but why wouldn't they just ignore a show like Cosmos instead of venting against it? Or is it because Cosmos type shows tend to accept a Big Bang Theory as opposed to "literally Genesis"? Was the original Sagan Cosmos ever controversial because of this? I should remember this because I lived through those years, but I don't.

I'm sure plenty of right wingers hated Carl Sagan back then too. Carl Sagan, as was pointed out by a Freeper, smoked jazz cigarettes and bedded ladies in addition to his well-known career of educating the public about space stuff. So therefore he really cannot be trusted. It's no surprise that Freep isn't hitting the season pass button on their Tivo for the new Cosmos.

"Black man talking about global warming" kind would be their version of "boot stamping on a human face forever," I think, though.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 10, 2014

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
These people are so far gone that when Fred Rogers died there were a bunch of them hating on him for having his show on PBS.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Zwabu posted:

Because there is no middle-ground, and there is no gray in the life of a Freeper. Every supposed insult, injustice, or crime against their beliefs is equal, each one is a DEFCON-1 red alert emergency. Freepers do not understand the concept of picking your battles. Since the Freepers have virtually no legitimate issues, they have to spray huge amounts of venom on their petty hatreds to make those things seem bigger and more important than they are,

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Zeroisanumber posted:

These people are so far gone that when Fred Rogers died there were a bunch of them hating on him for having his show on PBS.

I really don't think these people even watch PBS. They've convinced themselves that all it plays is marxist propaganda and in their usual LALALALALA I DON'T BELIEVE YOU won't watch it to confirm otherwise.

This really does upset me, though. It's the loving understanding of our world, but these little shits are too hateful and small-minded to even give it a thought. Which is ironic, because the first episode deals with the church and it's closed-minded prosecution of those with dissimilar views from them. :rolleyes:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'd quote all your posts and strike out "educated" "intelligent" "passionate" "man" etc. etc. so "he is black" remained, but I really can't be arsed. Pretend I did :eng99:

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

TheIllestVillain posted:

There's seriously a lot of misunderstanding about what AA even is, and almost everyone opposed to it (like a lot of people in my family :() thinks AA means "black people (and the illegals) get a free ride and diplomas/degrees/PhD/etc just handed to them".

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Logikv9 posted:

I really don't think these people even watch PBS. They've convinced themselves that all it plays is marxist propaganda and in their usual LALALALALA I DON'T BELIEVE YOU won't watch it to confirm otherwise.

This really does upset me, though. It's the loving understanding of our world, but these little shits are too hateful and small-minded to even give it a thought. Which is ironic, because the first episode deals with the church and it's closed-minded prosecution of those with dissimilar views from them. :rolleyes:

All those sections were about was attacking good Christians ("No, what's a catholic, it was obviously good old American evangelism they were attacking) for things they didn't do. Even though there are records of it. And it was contextually relevant. And it taught the lesson of both not dismissing new ideas out of hand and verifying if they are true or not before investing in them. Obviously it's just about NDT being an uppity urban mongrel and hating on conservatives and Christians.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Mr. Belpit posted:

There's seriously a lot of misunderstanding about what AA even is, and almost everyone opposed to it (like a lot of people in my family :() thinks AA means "black people (and the illegals) get a free ride and diplomas/degrees/PhD/etc just handed to them".

I remember being in Middle School / Early HS (~1994) when AA was a hot topic for whatever reason, and I remember arguing against it is some class or another because it felt unfair.

It's a very nuanced law that takes under its realm the idea that institutionalized racism is a real thing. When you're NOT a victim of this racism or you're insulated from it another way, you probably still have a Middle School white kid attitude about it. It doesn't surprise me that FReepers generally complain about it.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I didn't think simply being an atheist was enough to be worthy of scorn, but I guess it shouldn't be surprising.

I wanna say he's not even a full-blown atheist, despite all the r/atheist memes, he's definitely more of a milquetoast agnostic with a decidedly "We can't know" attitude. That's it though: the r/atheist memes.

Fruity Rudy posted:

Tyson is an affirmative action bad joke. I turn him off whenever he comes on. My son hates him.

75 posted on January 13, 2014 at 3:58:32 PM PST by montag813
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]To: 12th_Monkey

You bolded the wrong part :cry:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

My Q-Face posted:

I wanna say he's not even a full-blown atheist, despite all the r/atheist memes, he's definitely more of a milquetoast agnostic with a decidedly "We can't know" attitude. That's it though: the r/atheist memes.

You bolded the wrong part :cry:

Plot twist: the son is fifty :ssh:

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Iron Crowned posted:

Here is the episode if anyone wants to listen, it was a real good interview. During the part where he was discussing 'innate vs working hard at something' he pointed out that before he went on the Daily Show he watched multiple episodes to try and establish a rhythm around how long Stewart would give a guest to say something so he could be as clear and concise as possible. That's dedication right there since I doubt the interview would be as hostile as, say, Jim DeMint going on there and shilling for the Heritage Foundation. Tyson is cool, articulate, and intelligent so he makes a natural enemy to freepers.

ColdSnickersBar
Apr 7, 2005

Zwabu posted:

The original has an entire, hour-long, episode about how god probably doesn't exist and about the harmful effect religion has had on mankind through various historic examples. Sagan is even in it saying "or, if we say that god always existed, why not save a step and say the Universe always existed? These are not easy questions."

EDIT: here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag6fH8cU-MU&t=13s

ColdSnickersBar fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 10, 2014

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I was going to be surprised by the hate, but after learning from this thread that Geocentrism is still A Thing, I can see why they have issues. If they are so rooted in their indoctrination that they still hold something disproved a thousand years ago as truth then there is really no getting through to them

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

pd187 posted:

He's not open about his atheism because he's not an atheist.

Do you really think there's a difference to Freepers? I know in my life I've come to just call myself an atheist when someone asks because I don't want to have to explain what agnosticism is to someone who thinks it's all blasphemy anyway. He's certainly said enough about religion to garner their hate in any case.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
I've always assumed some racist types hate objectively intelligent blacks because they are a proven, living contradiction to their belief that they're all feral amish MMA weedlord criminals. Some small part of what critical thinking and reasoning they have left, kept locked away for years, screams out in anguish whenever they have to endure it. So they get pissed and want to smash it like the good neanderthals they are.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

say no to bats posted:

I've always assumed some racist types hate objectively intelligent blacks because they are a proven, living contradiction to their belief that they're all feral amish MMA weedlord criminals. Some small part of what critical thinking and reasoning they have left, kept locked away for years, screams out in anguish whenever they have to endure it. So they get pissed and want to smash it like the good neanderthals they are.

If I recall, more often than not the blacks who got lynched when lynching was still popular were, in fact, black people who ran a business or were college educated and so on. They complain black people are inferior, and then actively seek to destroy or detract from any counter examples. It's really quite sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

If I recall, more often than not the blacks who got lynched when lynching was still popular were, in fact, black people who ran a business or were college educated and so on. They complain black people are inferior, and then actively seek to destroy or detract from any counter examples. It's really quite sad.

It also transcends race relations: socialism is a doomed system it cannot succeed, it will always fail, we must destroy it!

• Locked thread