Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Larry
Dec 11, 2000
I have naked pictures of my girlfriend but I'm too whipped to share them with you.
I'm really stuck on this jailbreaking, and I hope you wonderful goons can help. I've been jailbreaking from the start and felt pretty confident going into this that I'd be able to figure it out, but man there is really no single source of info I can find. My primary phone is an iPhone 4 on iOS 7, but after months of torture using that loving horrible and slow OS, I'm getting out my other old iPhone 4 and want to upgrade it and use it instead.

My question is - how do I upgrade to 6.1* and do an untethered jailbreak on this phone? All of the documentation I can find is really confusing and has been wrong in every path. I've wasted 8 hours or so on this and am no closer.

The stats: US carrier unlocked iPhone 4 GSM, 5.1 (9B176), baseband 04.12.01. All 5.X shsh blobs saved on Cydia.

Since I'm starting from 5.1, I can upgrade only as far as is important to get what I want.

Greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Brother Larry posted:

I'm really stuck on this jailbreaking, and I hope you wonderful goons can help. I've been jailbreaking from the start and felt pretty confident going into this that I'd be able to figure it out, but man there is really no single source of info I can find. My primary phone is an iPhone 4 on iOS 7, but after months of torture using that loving horrible and slow OS, I'm getting out my other old iPhone 4 and want to upgrade it and use it instead.

My question is - how do I upgrade to 6.1* and do an untethered jailbreak on this phone? All of the documentation I can find is really confusing and has been wrong in every path. I've wasted 8 hours or so on this and am no closer.

The stats: US carrier unlocked iPhone 4 GSM, 5.1 (9B176), baseband 04.12.01. All 5.X shsh blobs saved on Cydia.

Since I'm starting from 5.1, I can upgrade only as far as is important to get what I want.

Greatly appreciated!

You have to upgrade to latest OS on an iPhone 4.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Brother Larry posted:

Greatly appreciated!

You're out of luck, I think. Unless you already have 6.1.x blobs saved somewhere (and you probably don't, if you're still on 5.1) there's no path to go anywhere but iOS 7.

Brother Larry
Dec 11, 2000
I have naked pictures of my girlfriend but I'm too whipped to share them with you.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

You're out of luck, I think. Unless you already have 6.1.x blobs saved somewhere (and you probably don't, if you're still on 5.1) there's no path to go anywhere but iOS 7.
That's strange - why can't I upgrade to 6.x?

Cydia lost my 6.x blobs.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Brother Larry posted:

That's strange - why can't I upgrade to 6.x?

Cydia lost my 6.x blobs.

Apple isn't signing 6.x anymore, so if you don't already have blobs, you ain't getting new ones.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Another dumb Jailbreak question, how do you go from a JB'd 7.0.4 to 7.0.6? I upgraded to the .6 and didn't see cydia icon, so I ran evasi0n but it says the phone is already jailbroken and doesn't advise doing it again.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

KDdidit posted:

Another dumb Jailbreak question, how do you go from a JB'd 7.0.4 to 7.0.6? I upgraded to the .6 and didn't see cydia icon, so I ran evasi0n but it says the phone is already jailbroken and doesn't advise doing it again.

Restore and try again?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Walked posted:

All the games I tried on my iphone 5 ran like poo poo, even older NDS games. Kinda disappointing.

I keep trying to find a GBA emulator that's decent, but havent had much luck (admittedly I gave up pretty quickly)

That is disappointing, especially since the DS emulator on my Shield runs so great. Oh well, I may just install it anyway and wait to see if its update, thanks. Gba.emu works fine for me as a GBA emulator. Also, you may want to look into that one that was just released that doesnt require a jailbreak, I forgot the name but I am sure it will be easy enough to find.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

KDdidit posted:

I did a backup and complete erase and restore via iTunes, then ran Evasion.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

KDdidit posted:

Meh, I just just ignored the warning and ran the jb again. I haven't noticed any instability since doing it over a week ago. Worst case scenario, you have to go the restore route.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
What's the tweak to get around jailbreak detection (like DirecTV)?

I found xCon but does it work for iOS7?

In the thread (as of January) it looked like it was still in beta.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Does anyone have a line on the most up-to-date and working ad blocking hosts file? Like a fool I forgot to make a backup before trying a newer version and this one doesn't block a drat thing.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 9, 2014

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Krime posted:

What's the tweak to get around jailbreak detection (like DirecTV)?

I found xCon but does it work for iOS7?

In the thread (as of January) it looked like it was still in beta.

Try Flex. It isn't a tweak on its own, more a framework for tweaks, like a mini-cydia within cydia. You browse for tweaks for whatever app you select and there's usually one for that exact purpose.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Bummey posted:

Does anyone have a line on the most up-to-date and working ad blocking hosts file? Like a fool I forgot to make a backup before trying a newer version and this one doesn't block a drat thing.

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

This has been my goto.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Does it block ad banners in apps, too? This one is less than half the size of the previous one I used. Hmm.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 9, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Bummey posted:

Does it block ad banners in apps, too? This one is less than half the size of the previous one I used. Hmm.

I think? People kept complaining about ads in Flappy Bird and I was confused because I never saw any. But then again, I'm now seeing ads in MxTube. But again again I haven't updated the hosts file since iOS7.0.6 :shobon:

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I used to do the hosts monkeying but always found it had holes. BaSic Adblocker does a better job of getting rid of iAds/etc and keeps itself updated. Repo is cydia.myrepospace.com/basic

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

FYI I just lost my unlimited plan with AT&T after they cited me using mobile hotspotting. I've been using TetherMe and very infrequently at that so I'm not completely sure if it's a mistake on their end or not. Customer service reps have repeatedly told me I still have my unlimited plan, so I'm waiting for them to figure it out.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

the kawaiiest posted:

... I can't do it, then. :( Not having remote wipe is not a huge problem, but not having Activation Lock is. Not being able to wipe the phone doesn't matter if I can just lock it to keep people from accessing my stuff, but if I can't do that then I guess I'm just going to have to deal with the ugly blurry dock and the awful icons.

Activation Lock still works (it is server-side). They cannot disable Find my Phone, and the device will be unusable if it is wiped or restored.

The issue is just the remote wipe method. It triggers a reboot loop (instead of actually wiping it). Now, this may make the device unusable, and the person who has it may try to restore it with iTunes, hoping to stop the reboots.

Lost Mode should still work, as well. This forces a passcode on the device. If they try to wipe/restore it to get around the passcode, Activation Lock will be triggered.

It can be locked down and made useless. You just cant reliably remote-wipe it.

Bouchacha posted:

FYI I just lost my unlimited plan with AT&T after they cited me using mobile hotspotting. I've been using TetherMe and very infrequently at that so I'm not completely sure if it's a mistake on their end or not. Customer service reps have repeatedly told me I still have my unlimited plan, so I'm waiting for them to figure it out.

How much data have you been using? Did you need "unlimited"? I use to worry about getting caught when tethering. However, I used almost no data. I'm on a tiered plan, now. I never go over my limit, and I can tether whenever I want without the worries.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Looks like iOS 7.1 has rolled out. So has the window completely shut for updating to 7.0.6 and jailbreaking?

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
Well that's what I get for waiting until Monday to update my phone.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I could be wrong but I thought apple usually signs the old OS for a few days. You just need to find the ipsw and update it that way.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Window is closed.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Bouchacha posted:

This is based on my totally anecdotal experience but: call and bitch really loudly and they'll reverse it. AT&T does something to detect unauthorized tethering (there's definitely a few ways they can do this) but won't nail you for it unless you use a lot of data in a short period of time I think. I started using a VPN when I tether and I haven't had any problems since.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
And so the jailbreaking thread goes on its hiatus. See you all next year to jailbreak iOS 8!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

bobfather posted:

And so the jailbreaking thread goes on its hiatus. See you all next year to jailbreak iOS 8!

Has it been shown that 7.1 fixes the exploit used by the 7.0.X jailbreak?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Klungar posted:

This has never not been the case. It also appears that devs had an exploit sitting in their back pocket but it was blown on 6.1.5 by someone else. If jailbreakers can indeed crack 7.1, they'll probably wait at least a week to release it.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Klungar posted:

That seems to be the consensus after trawling jailbreak and iDevice websites during my breaks today.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
7.1.1 preferably.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Glad I got my iPhone 5S like 10 days ago.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

DominusDeus posted:

Glad I got my iPhone 5S like 10 days ago.

4 for me :respek:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Are there any good jailbreak alternatives to find my iPhone? Preferably something that will work on a wifi iPad?

Find my iPhone doesn't actually show where my iPhone or iPad is because of local laws about tracking devices. I'm all for respecting local laws and poo poo but, that kinda cost me a lot of money when I left my iPad 2 in a taxi.

I don't think there's any technical limitation since location services does work, it's just disabled for find my iPhone.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

BrainDance posted:

Are there any good jailbreak alternatives to find my iPhone? Preferably something that will work on a wifi iPad?

Find my iPhone doesn't actually show where my iPhone or iPad is because of local laws about tracking devices. I'm all for respecting local laws and poo poo but, that kinda cost me a lot of money when I left my iPad 2 in a taxi.

I don't think there's any technical limitation since location services does work, it's just disabled for find my iPhone.

Cylay. You can do stuff like remote wipe, send yourself an alert message or even live stream your camera. It's $20/year for 2 devices, but I think it's worth it.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

NOTinuyasha posted:

I started using a VPN when I tether and I haven't had any problems since.

Can you elaborate on this please? Never heard of this before.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

BrainDance posted:

If it's device-side there's probably a tweak to just disable that behavior so it will work. If not, welp.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?

Bouchacha posted:

I know I've mentioned it in this thread, and I think I learned it from this thread, but tetherme and MyWi don't do anything to mask the fact that you're tethering. To the carrier it looks identical to if you are paying for it. Then they realize you aren't paying for it.

PDANet claims to have a couple different levels of masking it, although my experience of using it heavily and never losing my unlimited data when I was on AT&T is purely anecdotal so ymmv.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

My mobilesubstrate crashes about twice a week, which isn't really a big deal on its own. What's annoying though, is that all the icons in my bottom row get shifted over one page over, leaving a blank row in its place. Any way I can stop this from happening?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

So I just barely got a new 5s and sure, I installed a few tweaks but nothing crazy I don't think. My battery is just disappearing at warp speed. I do have an animated weather tweak on my home screen but that should only drain battery while I'm on the actual screen, right? Is there a tweak or an app I can use to find out what's causing the most trouble?

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party

nrr posted:

So I just barely got a new 5s and sure, I installed a few tweaks but nothing crazy I don't think. My battery is just disappearing at warp speed. I do have an animated weather tweak on my home screen but that should only drain battery while I'm on the actual screen, right? Is there a tweak or an app I can use to find out what's causing the most trouble?

What do you have turned on in Settings > Privacy > Location Services?

I've turned nearly everything off under System Services and most of my applications side from Weather and Google Maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

nrr posted:

Is it Forecast? What do you have the update interval set on?

Also do you have Alkaline installed? Anecdotally and from many other reports I've seen it chew through battery.

• Locked thread