Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There's some high-quality bag chat taking place over in this thread. Please come hang out with us.

Unironically posted my backpack in your forum, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
That forum makes my eyes bleed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

RustedChrome posted:

That forum makes my eyes bleed.

Your eyes are broken, take them back.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Finally laid out the cash for a Pelican 1450 for my camera gear so I don't have to worry about throwing it in the truck when I am bombing around the desert and so I can take it canoeing without worry. I am really happy with it and there is even room for when I finally get a proper macro lens. Now I just need a bunch of stupid stickers to put on it so it matches my big Pelican case.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
Got the Peak Design cuff and the leash today. The leash is a small strap that can used as a sling- and neck strap. The cuff is a wrist strap.

They are pretty thin so I guess using it as a neck strap is a bit worse than using the original strap. As a sling there are other options like black rapid that are thicker.

But the positives that made me go for Peak Design is the quick release and that the strap can easily be put inside a pocket. And the handling is easy so there is no effort in removing the strap when it gets in the way.

Those are the selling Points from Peak Design and they fulfill them.

The quick release leaves two straps on the Camera, not as much as other alternatives for BR, it's a few centimeters(1 inch ?) and really not noticeable. And the release it self seems to be safe enough.

erephus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 30, 2013

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Haggins posted:

That F-Stop stuff looks pretty cool. I've been searching for a good backpack/photobag to do a hike in/hike out overnight camping trip.

Do you bring camera gear? What do you use?

I know this is from a little while ago but I have an FStop bag and while it is not bad for hiking it is not as good as I was hoping. It is still a good bag but for real hiking trips I use a real back packing bag and a chest mounted camera bag with additional lenses/tripod in/on my backpack.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a bag to use while snowboarding and kind of like the Lowepro Slingshot. It'll just be my 650d with the 18-135 kit lens and NEX C3 going in it, will it be OK for taking on a mountain? I suck and fall a decent amount, but don't really do anything crazy.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

fknlo posted:

I'm looking for a bag to use while snowboarding and kind of like the Lowepro Slingshot. It'll just be my 650d with the 18-135 kit lens and NEX C3 going in it, will it be OK for taking on a mountain? I suck and fall a decent amount, but don't really do anything crazy.

If it was me I would probably get something that is a backpack if you are planning on hiking with it. That or a smaller bag that you can put in a backpack. A sling bag is not really going to offer the same support that a backpack will.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I need a backpack.

I've been using my a retrospective 20 for the past couple of years and even though I absolutely love it, shoulder-carrying my stuff on hiking trips is getting painful, difficult and dangerous on a couple of occasions.

I carry a nikon 7000d, a Tamron 17-50, an ipad, and my bigma 150-500, plus some fairly small things like cleaning equipment etc.

Any ideas as to what I could take a look at (and is available in Europe)? I often end up swapping the Tamron and bigma, so having a quick and easy access into the bag would be optimal.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Any of you guys with a gripped camera use a backpack? If so, which?

I got a Lowepro Slingshot 202 for Christmas and it doesn't really fit my gripped 60d in the top compartment unless i force the flap over it. I'm also not sure why they designed the inside like they did, I don't see any way of fitting a body with a lens attached or even a 70-200 in it without it being pretty loose.

I really only want something to carry around a few lenses and a body when I'm shooting at tracks or just need to carry more than one lens on me.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Mango Polo posted:

Any ideas as to what I could take a look at (and is available in Europe)? I often end up swapping the Tamron and bigma, so having a quick and easy access into the bag would be optimal.

I splurged on a Gura Gear Kiboko 22l last year, and have been very happy with it. It's not inexpensive, but it's designed very well, it's very light, comfortable and durable. Plus it has tons of nice little touches for usability. You can configure the insides pretty much any which way you want, and it'll carry pretty much anything. They now have dealers in France and Germany.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

emotive posted:

Any of you guys with a gripped camera use a backpack? If so, which?

I got a Lowepro Slingshot 202 for Christmas and it doesn't really fit my gripped 60d in the top compartment unless i force the flap over it. I'm also not sure why they designed the inside like they did, I don't see any way of fitting a body with a lens attached or even a 70-200 in it without it being pretty loose.

I really only want something to carry around a few lenses and a body when I'm shooting at tracks or just need to carry more than one lens on me.

I have a Kata 3n1-30. It fits my 70-200 on my gripped 60D with no problem. I can actually fit two. But be warned, the pack is huge and the first thing I wasn't able to fit into it is my 400mm on a body. It's at the point where you wouldn't want to carry it if it was full.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DanTheFryingPan posted:

I splurged on a Gura Gear Kiboko 22l last year, and have been very happy with it. It's not inexpensive, but it's designed very well, it's very light, comfortable and durable. Plus it has tons of nice little touches for usability. You can configure the insides pretty much any which way you want, and it'll carry pretty much anything. They now have dealers in France and Germany.

This looks excellent, thanks. I'm in Berlin so hopefully I can find a place to try one out.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Any suggestions for a bag for carrying misc. poo poo like extra strobes, wires, batteries, etc..? I have a thinktank retrospective 20 which can hold most of my gear, however I like to use it when walking around and I don't need everything in the bag at the same time.

Also I'm looking for a good bag that will hold a tripod, a couple light stands, and a few modifiers. I see some stuff on BH and but I don't know what's good. I might just wait until I can get to a camera store in person.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I have a dream of a bag.
It needs to carry a smaller film body (spottie), a bunch of lenses - biggest being about the size of a 70-400 f4L, but most are small mf primes, say 4-5 of them, a spot meter, 1x stylus epic, 1x fuji x100, a shitton of film, a laptop, an ipad (my work requires me to have my ipad at all times), a sweatshirt for a fat person (these are big), and like poo poo to entertain me on a plane. Being able to carry a tripod or even a mono pod would be a big bonus, but not strictly necessary.
It needs to be a backpack that can also be worn kind of like a sling in front. I want a actual backpack rather than a full sling because I'll be doing a lot of walking. Needs to be carry on size.
I have a kata dr(dl?)-466 that can hold all this, but it is extremely full, which means that stuff can be hard to access (I have to put lens on top of each other. Also, the opening is such that if you're not careful, you can dump all your camera poo poo on the ground (thankfully, when this happened, it was already on the ground), which is why I want something slingable.

I am drawn to the kata bags that can be converted from backpack to sling with a quick draw. However, the pictures I can find seem to indicate that they may have less usable space than what I have now. Other bags seem to give up non camera storage space.
The nearest stores that carry any real selection of bags are 100miles away and while I'll check things out in person some guidance of what is out there would help.

Yes, carry less poo poo is an option, but I can explore that myself should nothing exist that fits my needs.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

nm posted:

I have a dream of a bag.
It needs to carry a smaller film body (spottie), a bunch of lenses - biggest being about the size of a 70-400 f4L, but most are small mf primes, say 4-5 of them, a spot meter, 1x stylus epic, 1x fuji x100, a shitton of film, a laptop, an ipad (my work requires me to have my ipad at all times), a sweatshirt for a fat person (these are big), and like poo poo to entertain me on a plane. Being able to carry a tripod or even a mono pod would be a big bonus, but not strictly necessary.
It needs to be a backpack that can also be worn kind of like a sling in front. I want a actual backpack rather than a full sling because I'll be doing a lot of walking. Needs to be carry on size.
I have a kata dr(dl?)-466 that can hold all this, but it is extremely full, which means that stuff can be hard to access (I have to put lens on top of each other. Also, the opening is such that if you're not careful, you can dump all your camera poo poo on the ground (thankfully, when this happened, it was already on the ground), which is why I want something slingable.

I am drawn to the kata bags that can be converted from backpack to sling with a quick draw. However, the pictures I can find seem to indicate that they may have less usable space than what I have now. Other bags seem to give up non camera storage space.
The nearest stores that carry any real selection of bags are 100miles away and while I'll check things out in person some guidance of what is out there would help.

Yes, carry less poo poo is an option, but I can explore that myself should nothing exist that fits my needs.

The kata 3n1 sounds like what you want, they make a few different sizes to fit what you want. If you measure how long your longest lens/camera combo is I can measure it real quick and tell you if it'd fit. I've carried an om-d, instax 210, me super, and pentax 67 at the same time and it stays comfortable.

Also if it does fit I might be willing to sell it to you because I never carry that much stuff on a day to day basis so it mostly just sits in the closet :ssh:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Sweet. 8.5in long.

I normally don't carry that much stuff myself, but I'm doing a long trip this summer and need/want to be able to carry all that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

That's not that big then :D

I might have a few more of those dividers somewhere, but I'm not sure where they would ahve wound up when I moved last fall. I can look around and make a proper post in the proper places if it seems like what you're looking for.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I've got one of these as well. Not good for birding.

But really it's a good bag. I just wish I didn't feel the need to fill it. It's 35lbs with all my crap in it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

That's not that big then :D

I might have a few more of those dividers somewhere, but I'm not sure where they would ahve wound up when I moved last fall. I can look around and make a proper post in the proper places if it seems like what you're looking for.
Its how you use it :colbert:

Which one do you have? And yes, I might be depending on the model.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

nm posted:

Its how you use it :colbert:

Which one do you have? And yes, I might be depending on the model.

It's the kata 3n1-33 with the optional tripod holder, the last gen version. This one: http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-D-3N1-33-Backpack-Laptop/dp/B002UHKR6I

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Ah, I have the Kata 3n1-30 of the previous generation. I do regret not getting the -33.

Note about this generation. There are two series of 3n1. There is the pro-light and the d-light series. D-light is terrible from what I have read and the pro-light is apparently the proper successor to the bags Mr. Despair and I have. You'll notice the difference in the zippers, buckles, stitching, and overall quality of the bag. Also the d-lights are only 80 bucks. I'm not sure why they decided to compromise on quality to reach a lower price point. Now I can't say all of their bags are good.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Haggins posted:

Also I'm looking for a good bag that will hold a tripod, a couple light stands, and a few modifiers. I see some stuff on BH and but I don't know what's good. I might just wait until I can get to a camera store in person.
At the risk of looking like a survivalist nutjob, there's this. The original milsurp version didn't have the MOLLE loops, so maybe better if you can find it and don't mind green.

Crosspost from the gear thread because I thought this one was dead:
Promaster are good people. I bought a used Promaster L450 bag for $20, it was missing the male end of a buckle, I emailed them on Tuesday and had the missing part in my mailbox on Friday.

I like the L450. It's got a zip around the edge for expansion -- closed, it's a regular laptop messenger bag; open, it'll hold a 15" laptop and a gripped/pro DSLR and 3 pro lenses/2 lenses and all the computer cables, mouse, and collapsible DJ headphones. And it has a removable padded box that you can swap into an army-surplus bag for a smaller camera-and-lenses-only kit.

Store review: Patterson's in Texarkana is a nice store, if you're in the area. Very helpful, willing to haggle, &c.

Edit: I'm working on a strap solution for my camera, now that it mostly lives in the bag. Paracord-bracelet hand-strap with homemade tripod-mount lug, slap a shoulder strap on it via carabiner if needed. Works pretty much like the BlackRapid rig.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 17, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

It's the kata 3n1-33 with the optional tripod holder, the last gen version. This one: http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-D-3N1-33-Backpack-Laptop/dp/B002UHKR6I
Yeah, let me know if you list that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

nm posted:

Yeah, let me know if you list that.

I will in the morning when I'm not super tired :tipshat:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

At the risk of looking like a survivalist nutjob, there's this. The original milsurp version didn't have the MOLLE loops, so maybe better if you can find it and don't mind green.

I like it! It seems like they want to charge way too much on B&H for light stand bags. They really don't need a lot of protection.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Is there a hydration bag out there that has room for a DSLR? I'm trying to find a happy medium for biking and photography.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I've shoved a DSLR in a camelbak mule before. I was in a situation where I had to use it a lot (photographing a MTB skills clinic) so it was in and out all day for two days. It worked pretty well and I'd probably do it again the same way. I could carry a body with one lens and a flash pretty easily, but not a second lens.

High-end point and shoot is totally tits for mountain biking if you don't need to take 600 pictures a day or use off-camera flash. Get something you can pocket and that shoots raw. It's way better than having to take your camelbak off every time you want to take a picture during a short breather or while waiting for someone.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rcman50166 posted:

Is there a hydration bag out there that has room for a DSLR? I'm trying to find a happy medium for biking and photography.

The lowepro photo sport series have space for hydration bladders

http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/photo-sport-pro-30l-aw

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

rcman50166 posted:

Using a camera clip like this: http://www.amazon.com/Peak-Design-C...ign+camera+clip to clip it onto your bag or shoulder strap might be worth looking into as well, then you could strap it onto whatever bag you normally use. Otherwise I don't see why you couldn't wrap it in a towel and toss it in whatever bag you normally use.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
All three of these ideas are excellent solutions. Now I just need to see what I can afford.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'm looking for a small bag for a m4/3 camera + lenses.

I have a GF5 plus the Pana 14mm + 20mm + Sigma 30mm.

Something that fits on the belt without looking huge would be good.

Maybe:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181202774703?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Else, maybe go for an ever-ready case for the body and a separate case for the lenses?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you want it belt-sized, there's not much way a bag would fit a body + 3 lenses without flopping around on your belt and being fairly large.

Is this something you want for travel, wear it while biking, something like that?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

DJExile posted:

If you want it belt-sized, there's not much way a bag would fit a body + 3 lenses without flopping around on your belt and being fairly large.

Is this something you want for travel, wear it while biking, something like that?

Travel.

I plan to walk around Brussels for a few days and don't want something bulky hanging off me.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
A small shoulder bag would probably more wieldly than a belt clip that can hold 3 lenses.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

Travel.

I plan to walk around Brussels for a few days and don't want something bulky hanging off me.

Yeah what about a small messenger style bag that could also hold like a tablet/phone, bottle of water, etc? It'd probably hold pretty slim to the body, even if it was wider across your hips.

I donno, just kinda thinking out loud here.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, one of the pouches on my ThinkTank belt system could probably squeeze all that stuff, but I'd way rather have a shoulder bad or backpack. Especially if I wasn't using it with the big fat ThinkTank belt.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's a good idea.

But, I was planning on taking a normal backpack for the usual crap (water,coats,snacks)and another bag would get unwieldy.

I won't use the outer pockets on such a pack (pickpockets) so either I have another smaller bag on my belt- or I bury the lenses in a lens case in the middle of the pack and take my time when swapping.

I'm not really sure what to do: with my DSLR, I'd take a big camera bag and stuff the non-camera stuff in there. Now I have the luxury of m4/3, I feel that I should be taking the advantages of it. Maybe a Bat Utility Belt?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What about a small pouch on one of the pack straps for lenses and just have the camera out on its strap? Even small beltpacks are pretty unwieldy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

I'm not really sure what to do: with my DSLR, I'd take a big camera bag and stuff the non-camera stuff in there. Now I have the luxury of m4/3, I feel that I should be taking the advantages of it. Maybe a Bat Utility Belt?
Put 2 pouches on your daypack's shoulder straps.

• Locked thread