Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

##Vote New Byzantines

##Vote Phanariotes

Senators. I am humbled that today is the first day that I can serve before the Senate and make such a monumental vote. Our family, the Ratoslovs, have served Rome for centuries, but there was a time when we were mere pilgrims from Kiev. The fall of Kiev and the rise of the Principality of Novogrod, the reconquests of Venice and Antioch have made me think dark thoughts. As one Senator said this very day,

Duckbag posted:

Our empire is strong indeed, but the cost has been horrendous and I fear we have let power corrupt us. We have abandoned diplomacy for violence and in the process forgotten the value of peace. ... Could not that money have been spent on great works and great parties? Would not our families, farms, and workshops fair better in the light of peace than under the dark clouds of suffering and sacrifice?

He is right. Our mandates- those of us and our fathers and grandfathers- has made our empire stronger, but it is an empire of widows, crippled veterans, and fields of ash. Let me tell you of my brother. Some of you know him; my father was grooming him to be Senator when he died. He was a man of learning and virtue. The three of us would sit under the fig tree behind our house and talk for hours about politics, religion, philosophy, and love. He was the finest man of our generation. He made a foolish decision- he joined the army to serve as a Allagatōr in the war against the pitiful Karatay. Our father disapproved, but he felt that none should serve in the Senate if they did not understand war first-hand. We had his funeral last month- slain by a thrown roof-tile at the end of the fighting. An ignoble end for a noble man. My father is inconsolable, and in no state to stand in the Senate, so the duty falls to me.

I feel we have had enough wars, sirs. We are wealthy beyond avarice, we have a strength incomparable. It is time for us to beat our swords into ploughshares. It is time to build fountains, universities, and fine castles, to keep out our enemies. It is time to make peace with the Catholics and a lasting alliance with Novogorod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

##Vote New Byzantines

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

##Vote Old Romans

##Vote Expansionists

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

##Vote Old Romans

##Vote New Marians

##Vote Expansionists

##Vote Phanariotes

Glory to Rome!

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

##Vote New Byzantines

##Vote Phanariotes

Colleagues, I come to take the smSeat of my father, and bearing news that many of you will probably be glad to hear. My father is dead, though shockingly not at the hands of anyone in this chamber. He fell ill and died just a few days ago.

While I admire his dedication to his faith, demanding the immediate conversion of the Empire was unrealistic. I vote with the New Byzantines, as their enlightened influence is probably the only reason our family has been able to prosper. A forward thinking, open minded and learned Rome is a strong Rome!

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

##Vote Old Romans

##Vote Expansionists

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

##Vote Komnenians

Friend senator, you seem to be in somewhat of a funk. I would worry less about the, so called "Black Chamber" and more about the new and exotic places to drink and party.

Well I do have this cask of Sicilian wine I've been meaning to crack open. I bought it from a Saracen who swore it was the real Marsala. I'm not sure what it tastes like, but if it's anything like Sicilian women it should be a real kick in the head. I've got enough to share with any senator who wants it, but you've got to promise not to vote for any more wars, at least not until our collective hangovers die down.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Duckbag posted:

Well I do have this cask of Sicilian wine I've been meaning to crack open. I bought it from a Saracen who swore it was the real Marsala. I'm not sure what it tastes like, but if it's anything like Sicilian women it should be a real kick in the head. I've got enough to share with any senator who wants it, but you've got to promise not to vote for any more wars, at least not until our collective hangovers die down.
But, but, I wanted to vote for a war to get Jerusalem back!

Oh well, fine. I guess the "We will drink where Jesus did" resolution can wait for a few more years if need be.

And also, where are all the other Komnenians? I swear, every time we're asked to declare our parties everyone seems to be "Oh I was at a party/orgy/dead!". Cripes.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
The senator who's seat I now take the place of had no surviving relatives. He was discovered with a dagger in his back, drunk off his rear end after a Komnenian Party earlier in the year. I now see it fit to take his place as his most trusted advisor.

##Vote New Byzantines

##Vote Phanariotes
And as the newest senator, I believe that the New Byzantines, until they prove otherwise, are those who will lead the empire into greatness. Personally, I also suggest planting the seeds of turmoil elsewhere in Europe so that they tear each other apart and make themselves easier for the Empire to acquire. I also advocate for the expansion of our knowledge of the sciences,in order to more easily dominate the world with our advanced knowledge.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Sinner Sandwich posted:

I am not my father, and as such, I'll not risk alienating the Senate and our beloved Empress by reminding you that you were shunned from the Almighty's love the moment you were born, but I'll remind you, as I'm sure my father did, that the Empire has been kept afloat many times by the good works and heroism of those you'd seek to oppress, exile, or execute. Perhaps I should draw up my family's accounts, so that we may remind all the good men here that the mercenaries that crushed the Caliphs and Sultans of the East came on Jewish coin-- jewish coin that a Christian would have been unable to lend. Perhaps we should ask the marshal to give us a report of how many Steppe-dwellers, Italians, and even Bulgarians died keeping you and I safe from the Mohammedans and, long ago, from the rampaging douxes in the near-constant rebellions of the past.

But I must apologize, I'm being far too aggressive. You'll have to excuse me, when the fate of thousands of Byzantine citizens is at stake, I cannot help but become impassioned. Senator Qutuzid made an excellent point, both in how diverse the foundations of Byzantine strength are, and in the necessity for a university. Perhaps, if our noble Empress sees fit to build such a center of learning, I will pay for your education there, so we may see the world with clarity together, unclouded by zealotry and pigheaded idiocy more befitting of a German peasant than a Byzantine senator.

Ah, pardon me again, I'm afraid I'm having trouble holding my tongue. A thousand apologies, Senator Cyrahzax, but please, consider my offer, and reconsider your position.

...Blasted dullard.

The Almighty knows His own, Senator. As I have said before, I don't want to oppress, exile, or execute anyone (except traitors and criminals). I want to uplift and assimilate them into a greater whole. We are the heirs of the greatest civilizations the world has ever seen. I say it would be a terrible crime to exclude any from that. So, they must become us, for their own good, and the good of the world to come! As for the moneylenders, let them convert! We don't need them! Do you not think that Roman merchants would provide us with funds for their own protection? And with no interest for the crown!

Italians, steppe-filth, and Bulgarians may have died, but I assure you, thousands more Greeks died for them! But why? To uplift them! To improve them! To assimilate them! That is the end-goal of Empire, Senator: one world united by Greek culture and the Orthodox faith. Everything we once had must be ours again, and more, but to do this, our subjects, one and all, must become Roman! It is what my great-grandfather called the "snowball effect." The more Romans that exist, the more we will be able to conquer. And the more we conquer and assimilate, the more Romans there will be.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
The fact is that Turks and Bulgarians can never be civilized, they are barbarian peoples with no laws or morality! We should also consider expelling the Jews from Greece, it's bad enough that we are ruled by an immoral woma-...I mean to say, It is bad enough that we tolerate them, but how much longer must we allow these usurers to prey on honest Greeks?

Now, I'm off the countryside to get blind drunk and beat my slaves!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

##Vote New Byzantines

##Vote Phanariotes

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ghetto Prince posted:

The fact is that Turks and Bulgarians can never be civilized, they are barbarian peoples with no laws or morality! We should also consider expelling the Jews from Greece, it's bad enough that we are ruled by an immoral woma-...I mean to say, It is bad enough that we tolerate them, but how much longer must we allow these usurers to prey on honest Greeks?

Now, I'm off the countryside to get blind drunk and beat my slaves!
I motion that this Senator be immediately imprisoned and castrated for slander against the Empress!

##Vote Komnenians
##Vote Expansionists

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

##Vote Old Romans

##Vote New Marians

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Duckbag posted:

I shall join you, noble sir. We Ratoslovs are not known to be great drinkers, but it would certainly be inhospitable for me to share your words and not share your wine.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

##Vote Komnenians

The Empire has enough to celebrate for the time being. Now, my good senators, is the time to enjoy the fruits of our labors. A toast, to the Empire and it's Empress!

theblastizard fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 10, 2014

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

##Vote Milvians

##Vote Phanariotes

Bart Roberts III
Jun 28, 2008

##Vote New Byzantines

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

##Vote Old Romans

I cannot believe I almost missed the vote! If nothing else, I stand by my grandfather's party out of loyalty to him.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Oh dear, oh dear, this is quite a mess... Er, you see, this is the first time my family's been in the Senate house for quite a while, I wouldn't want to shame my dear great grandfather by making the wrong choice... So, um, if it's alright with everyone, I-I'd like to propose my own party? If that's alright? I-I made a banner and everything!

##Vote Centrists

I don't want to, um, step on any toes, that is, but everyone seems so very passionate about voting... Everyone has good ideas! If the Centrist party takes any place in the Senate, I promise we won't be too extreme, and we'll make sure everyone is happy! After all, my grandfather, the first senator in our family always said the truth was in the middle!

...Or was it in Rome? I don't remember. Oh no, I've messed up already...

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Raserys posted:

Oh dear, oh dear, this is quite a mess... Er, you see, this is the first time my family's been in the Senate house for quite a while, I wouldn't want to shame my dear great grandfather by making the wrong choice... So, um, if it's alright with everyone, I-I'd like to propose my own party? If that's alright? I-I made a banner and everything!

##Vote Centrists

I don't want to, um, step on any toes, that is, but everyone seems so very passionate about voting... Everyone has good ideas! If the Centrist party takes any place in the Senate, I promise we won't be too extreme, and we'll make sure everyone is happy! After all, my grandfather, the first senator in our family always said the truth was in the middle!

...Or was it in Rome? I don't remember. Oh no, I've messed up already...

Steppes and Republics

Well met fellow Senator, a new party is not unwelcome, though I would like to know what your party stands for. In any case no need to be afraid most of the Senators here have a bark worse then their bite... except for Senator Scruffles he has a mean bite. In any case their is nothing to worry about (except Croatian-Bulgarian-Seljuk Assassins) so speak up.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Yvonmukluk posted:

##Vote Loyalists

As a loyalist, I will also throw my support behind all of the coalitions.

##Vote New Marians

##Vote Expansionists

##Vote Phanariotes

Also I continue to support the planned conversion of Khans.

##Vote Loyalists
As a fellow Loyalist, I support the views of my esteemed colleague, and thank him for his service in carrying forth our cause while I was on a trading expedition to Iceland. Lovely country, plenty of hot springs, and some interesting novelties they said came from a place called 'Vinland'.

I do hear rumblings of discontent from some of the Cypriot sugar plantations about how the Sicilians are trying to undercut them, though. It might behoove us to examine our options where that island is concerned.

It also might behoove us to extinguish Croatia, both for the sake of pretty borders and for their continued harboring of the vile "Bulgarian" rulers.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

##Vote New Byzantines

##Vote Phanariotes

Senators, in this time of trials and successes I agree with the majority, we must stand beside our great empire and ensure that it moves ever onward to greater heights of power and influence, through our scholarship and adaptation.

However I believe that we must also do one great dead with each generation, and in our case I believe that the great dead must be the absorption of the lands lost in Egypt with the rise of the Muslim powers. Constantinople needs grain and food, and although we are reasonably well supplied now if we are to continue feeding our armies we can best do so by acquiring the rich lands around the nile.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Blackunknown posted:

Well met fellow Senator, a new party is not unwelcome, though I would like to know what your party stands for. In any case no need to be afraid most of the Senators here have a bark worse then their bite... except for Senator Scruffles he has a mean bite. In any case their is nothing to worry about (except Croatian-Bulgarian-Seljuk Assassins) so speak up.

Oh, gosh, that's a big question... Well, I guess, think about the whole Rome-Byzantium conflict! I certainly think we're Byzantine and we're most definitely Roman, but I wouldn't want to offend anyone by saying we're absolutely one way or the other... I think we're a little bit of both, really! I'd definitely like a compromise were we to take Rome, after all, we might offend the New Byzantines if we go all the way Roman, or we might offend the Old Romans if we remain Byzantine! It's a very complicated issue and I don't think there's one right answer!

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

##Vote Milvians

##Vote Expansionists

The principles of the New Byzantines have served our empire well-- many have been brought to the light of Christ and the true church that previously knew only false faiths.

And yet there is still so much to do.

The Ilkhanate still rests on the eastern borders of the Empire of the Turks-- they will strike again in time, and I say to you that we must be ready! Let us not trade one group of infidels for another-- let us take back the holy lands from the Muslims! Let us drive a bloody swath south for Jerusalem!

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Raserys posted:

Oh, gosh, that's a big question... Well, I guess, think about the whole Rome-Byzantium conflict! I certainly think we're Byzantine and we're most definitely Roman, but I wouldn't want to offend anyone by saying we're absolutely one way or the other... I think we're a little bit of both, really! I'd definitely like a compromise were we to take Rome, after all, we might offend the New Byzantines if we go all the way Roman, or we might offend the Old Romans if we remain Byzantine! It's a very complicated issue and I don't think there's one right answer!

My father would have suggested we sidestep the whole issue by calling ourselves Rum, but even he could see that proposal would have been dead on arrival.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Raserys posted:

Steppes and Republics

I certainly see the validity of your arguement and agree that it is a large multi-sided issue. In any case we of Steppes and Republics offer a sort of alliance between our two parties if yours would be as so willing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Talky posted:

My father would have suggested we sidestep the whole issue by calling ourselves Rum, but even he could see that proposal would have been dead on arrival.

I was going to make a joke about drunken Senators here, but I just can't word it right. Not to mention the whole anachronism thing.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Raserys posted:

Your platform is undefinable compromise? Please. I am the real Centrist: you see, Greece and Constantinople are the center of the world. Because of our ancient and glorious history, we are the only ones fit to rule the world. Our fitness also gives us the duty to uplift and assimilate every man, woman and child alive. Come. Be a part of the true Center.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

##Vote Old Romans

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

##Vote Milvians

Why does Catholicism still exist? Very disappointed. :mad:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

##Vote Guiding Light

We exist!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Talas posted:

##Vote Guiding Light

We exist!

More's the pity. :colbert:

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

More's the pity. :colbert:

HERE HERE!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

##Vote Fraternalists

##Vote Phanariotes

I agree with the sentiment of my fellow Fraternalist, we must make sure all Mediterranean trade is under the control of the Byzantine Empire, plus as I've said, more merchants means more money, and more competition between merchants dilutes their power and makes them more likely to stab each other rather than us. Also I think it goes without saying that as soon as possible, a theme under the control of the bishop of Antioch should be created, more religious vassals means less DOUXS!!!!! For us to worry about.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Jimmy4400nav posted:

##Vote Fraternalists

##Vote Phanariotes

I agree with the sentiment of my fellow Fraternalist, we must make sure all Mediterranean trade is under the control of the Byzantine Empire, plus as I've said, more merchants means more money, and more competition between merchants dilutes their power and makes them more likely to stab each other rather than us. Also I think it goes without saying that as soon as possible, a theme under the control of the bishop of Antioch should be created, more religious vassals means less DOUXS!!!!! For us to worry about.

I would agree that the Patriarchal seats should be put under the control of their associated bishops, with the possible exception of Rome (given how that position has been flagrantly abused for centuries).

While I also agree with bringing the remaining independent merchant houses to heel, I think that perhaps one of either Genoa or Pisa should be disestablished as a trading republic, and instead we should create one in, say, Valencia or Algiers. That way, instead of a three-way struggle for control over the eastern Mediterranean, we would have one republic apiece for the western, central and eastern Mediterranean, along with the existing two on the Black Sea (the Crimea for trading with the Russians, and Belgorod as the provisioner of Constantinople herself).

Also, I have an idea for the Black Chamber to consider: instead of assassinating the Turkish and Egyptian rulers so as to put infants on those thrones, perhaps we should consider clearing the way for the most Decadent heirs to inherit. That would seem far more likely to produce the desired destabilization of those realms.

Alexey
Feb 15, 2012

##Vote Old Romans

##Vote Phanariotes

There is indeed a light that should guide the Empire, but it is the light of the Phanariote lantern, and that of the city upon a hill -- or, should I say, upon the Seven Hills.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

##Vote New Byzantines

Ὠ ἄνδρες βουλευταί, μιμνήσκομαι τήν πρώτην ῥῆσιν ἥν παλαί ὕμιν εἷπον. ἔφαν ἄρ᾽ οὐ συνιστάναι τινα σύνοδον, μόνον συνηγορεῖν τοῖς Νέοις Βυζαντινοις διότι βουλεύματα τὸ τῆς ἀρχῆς κέρδος ὁμοῖα ἔστιν. πρακτικώτατοι γὰρ σοφώτατοι τε τῶν στάσεων ἦσαν καὶ πιστεύω ἔτ᾽ οὕτως εἶναι. διαμενῶ ἄρα συμψηφιζεσθαι.

ἀλλὰ νῦν παρακελεύσομαι ἐκείνους τρόπον τινα ὅν ἔνιοι οὐκ ἄν ἐπαινέσειαν, ὥσπερ τις μύωψ προσκείμενος ἵππῳ μεγάλῳ μὲν καὶ γενναίῳ, ὑπὸ μεγέθους δὲ νωθεστέρῳ καὶ δεομένῳ ἐγείρεσθαι. ἐδιισχυρίζαμην δὲ πρότερον δεῖν ἁρπάζειν τήν Ἰταλίαν ἐάν τὸ ἡμέτερον ἀυτᾶς κρατεῖν ἡμᾶς αὑτούς μεγάλους παράσχωμεν· καὶ ὀΐομαι ἡμᾶς τόν καιρόν νῦν ἔχειν.

ὅδε μέν οὔκ ἔστι τό του νόστου ὄναρ, ὅ οἱ τῶν Παλαιῶν Ῥωμαῖων κάκιστοι καθεύδοντες ἀκούοντες· ἡ δὲ στρατηγία ἔστι ὕπαρ τῶν παρόντων. ὅδε γὰρ ἔστι τὸ του συνόδου τέλος, Ὠ Νέοι Βυζαντινοι, ὅδ᾽ ἔστι αἴτιος του ἔχειν πλείστους εὔνους ὑμῖν. βουλόμενοι μέν οἷοι τ᾽ ἐσμεν κατέχειν τούς Τύρκους: οἷοι τ᾽ ἐσμεν βραδέως περικόπτειν. ἡ δ᾽ Ἰταλία νέμητερη ἀσθενεστέρη τ᾽ ἔστιν. του οὖν τῆς ἀρχῆς κράτεος αὔξοντος καὶ τῆς πλησιαίτερας τῇ Ἰταλίᾳ ἤ πολλ᾽ ἔτεα χώρας· οὐ νικᾶν δυνήσονται. κτησόμεθ᾽ ἄρα πολύν πλοῦτον, πολλήν γῆν, πολλούς στρατιώτας, ἐάν νῦν πρός ἑσπέραν ἴωμεν.

ὁ γ᾽ ἄρχων οὔκ ἔτ᾽ ᾔτηκε πρέπουσαν συμβουλήν· ἥδε μό̂νον ἔστιν ῥῆσις εὔνοις. ὁμῶς, ἱκετεύω ὑμᾶς του λοιποῦ ἐνθυμεῖσθαι.

O gentlemen of the Senate, I recall the first speech I made to you long ago. In it I said that I held to no party ideology, that I stood with the New Byzantines only because their goals aligned with the empire's interest. They were, and I believe still are, the most pragmatic and wise of our factions. I continue to cast my lot with theirs.

But I shall address that party now in a way that some of them perhaps may not praise, as if I were a gadfly attaching himself to a great and noble horse - yet one who therefore needs me to sting him into action because his size turns him too slow and idle. I said before that we should seize at Italy if it made us strong. I believe we have that moment now before us.

This is not the nostalgic dream of our return which the worst of the Old Romans hear while they sleep - it is a strategy based in the realities of our current position. That is the purpose of your party, O New Byzantines, that is the reason why you rightfully have the greatest number of supporters. We can hold off the Turks if we desire; we can chip away at them piece by piece. But Italy is far more divided and far weaker. The might of our empire is on the rise and our land extends closer to Italy now than it has for a long time: they shall not be able to defeat us. We can gain great wealth, great territory, and great numbers of men if we now turn to the West.

The Empress has not yet asked for a formal consultation: this is only a speech given to you party members. But I ask you to hold it in your minds for the future.

(Today's quote by the Senator from Antiquity comes from Plato's account of Socrates' trial, namely the analogy to the gadfly stinging a horse. The other Senators are of course educated enough to see this and have no need of it being pointed out.)

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 11, 2014

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

##Vote New Byzantines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

##Vote Milvians

• Locked thread