Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirtgolem
Dec 22, 2011

Wounds are always fresh and so the scabs are never dry
Gutter is the place in which we choose to live our lives
Square inside a circle is the symbol in my eye
Home is where the gutter is and this is where I'll die

areyoucontagious posted:

Goddamn this movie was so good. After reading the comics (thanks Jedit!) I want a sequel sooo bad!

It seriously warms my heart every time someone new discovers both the movie AND the comics for the first time and loves the poo poo out of both. WELCOME TO THE FOLD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I must be destroying the algorithms for my netflix viewing tastes. Half of everything I watch is Dredd.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

oneof27 posted:

I must be destroying the algorithms for my netflix viewing tastes. Half of everything I watch is Dredd.
Wish I had the same problem. My Virgin Media Tivo only allows one Netflix profile, so thanks to my girlfriend it thinks I watch nothing but Dexter and documentaries about veganism. :smith:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

oneof27 posted:

Huh, because of this thread being active all the time I wanted to watch Dredd again, so I bought it. The bluray version is very marginally different from the version I remember on Netflix.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I just re-watched it today due to this thread. What was the difference? Any commentary?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Huh, because of this thread being active all the time I wanted to watch Dredd again, so I bought it. The bluray version is very marginally different from the version I remember on Netflix.

I didn't notice any difference between the Netflix version and the blu ray, are you sure?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

marktheando posted:

I didn't notice any difference between the Netflix version and the blu ray, are you sure?

Isn't the Netflix version cropped to 1.85:1, while the film itself is 2.35:1? Or am I misremembering?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There were probably issues with that one scene where the blood spills into the aspect ratio bars.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just watched this on netflix, having only seen it once before on DVD. It is even better than I remember. I can also confirm that the Netflix cut is cropped a little narrower.

I found it interesting that, despite the claim that losing your primary weapon is an automatic fail, Dredd's retention of his weapon did not save him; He ran out of ammo and would have died if Anderson had not come to save him. It feels like a very clear illustration that the law alone, no matter how well enforced, has practical limitations.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Snak posted:

I just watched this on netflix, having only seen it once before on DVD. It is even better than I remember. I can also confirm that the Netflix cut is cropped a little narrower.

I found it interesting that, despite the claim that losing your primary weapon is an automatic fail, Dredd's retention of his weapon did not save him; He ran out of ammo and would have died if Anderson had not come to save him. It feels like a very clear illustration that the law alone, no matter how well enforced, has practical limitations.

Something I wondered - why is it that Dredd doesn't grab a backup gun from one of Ma-Ma's goons, like Anderson does after Kay blows up her Lawgiver? Is there some rule stating that a Judge isn't allowed to use any other weapon, and Anderson ignored it since she'd lost the Lawgiver anyway?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

Something I wondered - why is it that Dredd doesn't grab a backup gun from one of Ma-Ma's goons, like Anderson does after Kay blows up her Lawgiver? Is there some rule stating that a Judge isn't allowed to use any other weapon, and Anderson ignored it since she'd lost the Lawgiver anyway?

Dredd is physically incapable of using any weapon that doesn't have "law" in the name :haw:.

But more seriously, I'd imagine he didn't think of it because in his mind backup was already on the way and would be able to resupply him instead of trying to kill him as well. They also relied on the inbuilt silencers to be able to move relatively unnoticed through the building for the longest time. Besides, given the ragtag nature of Peachtree's "militia" I'd be surprised if any of those guys had more than one or two backup magazines for their guns, if any.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Snak posted:

I like the way you explain this.

Perestroika posted:

Dredd is physically incapable of using any weapon that doesn't have "law" in the name :haw:.

But more seriously, I'd imagine he didn't think of it because in his mind backup was already on the way and would be able to resupply him instead of trying to kill him as well. They also relied on the inbuilt silencers to be able to move relatively unnoticed through the building for the longest time. Besides, given the ragtag nature of Peachtree's "militia" I'd be surprised if any of those guys had more than one or two backup magazines for their guns, if any.
Yea, but even you or I know to horde ammo where-ever it comes up. Dredd should have had a gut feeling to not assume anything until he was out of the PeachTree doors, even after the rooftop communication.

I think that he is probably obligated to use his issued weapon. It has ID info on the bullets and poo poo.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm trying to remember the name of the group that made their own Dredd soundtrack and other stuff inspired by Dredd music, anyone know what I'm talking about?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Deakul posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of the group that made their own Dredd soundtrack and other stuff inspired by Dredd music, anyone know what I'm talking about?
Drokk?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Deakul posted:

http://drokk.bandcamp.com/

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yeah that's it, thanks guys.

Uuunnnf those synths. :flashfap:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'm also going to again shill OGRE, because he's a cool guy and a mate of mine and he does something similar.

http://ogresound.bandcamp.com/album/194

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 3, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Re-watched the film last night. It still holds up. Urban's got a distinctive voice but for most of the film he put on this kind of rasp and by the end, I wasn't really looking at Karl Urban, I was looking at Dredd. It was a really good job. Thrilby did a decent job as Anderson-as-scared-newbie but if the sequel ever happens it'll be interesting to see how she does as a full fledged judge in her own right.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dome Horizon sounds eerily close to what we got, so I guess it's the Megacity One sound :v:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Barry Foster posted:

I'm also going to again shill OGRE, because he's a cool guy and a mate of mine and he does something similar.

http://ogresound.bandcamp.com/album/194

Oh hell yeah, I was looking for this too!
Be still my wallet. :shepspends:

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Tender Bender posted:

My favorite part is when Dredd keeps switching to different types of ammo, seeing that he's out, then finally finds one and immediately, effortlessly blows a dude's head up with a sweet and satisfying little pop. I had to laugh out loud because it felt so meta, like he was asking the script "Which cool special effect have we not shown the audience yet? We did the stun thing, we did hotshot, we did incendiary rounds... oh we haven't done a head-pop? Okay let's do that one now."

He says it with such resignation too, like he knows he has the high-explosive ammo but wants to save it for something more special. He's just all "...high-ex..." :smith: before firing. It was a really nice touch and that got the biggest laugh out of me in the whole movie.

Shifter
Nov 28, 2003
I owe Crowley a beer!

KoRMaK posted:

I think that he is probably obligated to use his issued weapon. It has ID info on the bullets and poo poo.
Lawgivers and the rag-tag collection of weapons used by the gang members look and feel incompatible. Why hoard what you cannot use?

He does load up on ammo from the bent judges once he has the chance, which seems to imply that the bullets aren't registered to a Judge -the gun certainly is.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Shifter posted:

Lawgivers and the rag-tag collection of weapons used by the gang members look and feel incompatible. Why hoard what you cannot use?

He does load up on ammo from the bent judges once he has the chance, which seems to imply that the bullets aren't registered to a Judge -the gun certainly is.

Wasn't there some sort of visual demonstration in the Sly movie of how the gun adds a Judge's DNA to each bullet?

Haven't watched it since probably the 90s though, so I might be misremembering.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Krowley posted:

Wasn't there some sort of visual demonstration in the Sly movie of how the gun adds a Judge's DNA to each bullet?

This is a reboot so the Sly movie never happend.

Thank god.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Krowley posted:

yeah there was a whole part where they are prosecuting dredd for the killings that rico does, and it reveals the dna coding on the bullets. but

Cream_Filling posted:

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Baron Bifford posted:

I think Robocop was inspired by Dredd.

This was admitted to in an interview a while ago. Something about they couldn't get the rights to Dredd then, and RoboCop was born.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

Thank god.

Sure, it's just literally the only specific thing I remember from it.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Deakul posted:

Oh hell yeah, I was looking for this too!
Be still my wallet. :shepspends:

Those Ogre and Drokk albums are also on Spotify.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Go ahead and add me to the "Just saw the movie and thinks it's loving rad". I know it's not fine cinema or cerebral, but holy gently caress this is dark action at its finest. I'm so sad I missed the theatrical release.

Now to go out and buy like 5 Blu-rays in hopes they'll make a sequel from home video support.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Well! The Blu-Ray is $6.99 on Amazon. Go buy it.

http://www.amazon.com/Dredd-Blu-ray-Digital-Copy-UltraViolet/dp/B005LAII80/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gonna buy like ten and give them to all my folks for Christmas and even my wife for her birthday despite already having the movie.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TheHoosier posted:

Go ahead and add me to the "Just saw the movie and thinks it's loving rad". I know it's not fine cinema or cerebral, but holy gently caress this is dark action at its finest. I'm so sad I missed the theatrical release.

Now to go out and buy like 5 Blu-rays in hopes they'll make a sequel from home video support.

If it's loving rad that means it is fine cinema! But yes buy a few copies on blu ray and then watch it on Netflix.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

I just did. Why is it so cheap all of a sudden?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

My lucky day. loving 1-clicked that poo poo. Now to read the comics and wait impatiently for a sequel.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

I just did. Why is it so cheap all of a sudden?

It's been dropping the past couple of months, probably because it has been out for over a year now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheHoosier posted:

My lucky day. loving 1-clicked that poo poo. Now to read the comics and wait impatiently for a sequel.

Do you need to be directed to the comics thread? There's lots of different Dredd.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If you don't own this on Blu-Ray already, get this. Get this now. And if you don't, you should really take a moment and re-evaluate what kind of life you're living.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I do wish there was a commentary on it I guess, not that that was enough to stop me from buying it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Drunkboxer posted:

I do wish there was a commentary on it I guess, not that that was enough to stop me from buying it.

The commentary track is an offscreen Dredd, silently glaring at the footage without emotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I really enjoyed this movie when it came out in theatres. Its basically Robocop or Batman meets Die Hard. It's also so refreshing to have a sci fi or super hero movie that is just a 'Day in the Life' plot rather than an origin story or a 'save the world' story.

That having been said, there were some problems with how the movie was executed. It never really feels like Dredd is threatened and as a result the stakes in the action scenes are kind of low. The glittery slow motion effects seem like they kind of mask how banal a lot of the action actually is. Every scene pretty much amounts to Dredd walking in and blowing everybody away with his gun.

There also wasn't much in the way of a climax. Sure the 'bad judges' show up at the end but they have basically zero characterization and are dispatched quickly. The movie just sort of starts, works to its logical conclusion, and then ends. Dredd barely seems to break a sweat.

In a way that almost makes the movie more charming. This really just feels like a regular day for the protagonist, as though this is the kind of thing he does all the time and isn't a big deal to him. That's a nice contrast to every other post-Dark Knight super hero movie. Also the ambiance of the setting - the sense of desolation and desperation, the relentless brutality of Dredd's world and of everyone in it, including the heroes - certainly helps to keep the movie interesting. Still, I wouldn't have minded a bit more tension in the last twenty minutes of the film, if not for Dredd then at least for Anderson. And it would have been nice if the 'boss fight' at the end was someone who had been introduced and built up a bit more early in the film, rather than four underwhelming characters who only show up about ten minutes before they are killed.

• Locked thread