Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

gently caress the final mission. And yes, it's the mission's fault that I thunderbow'd myself near the end :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
I just got this for Xbox 360 so I can play with my brother online. I don't understand how Metatags work because my xbox has not been used in a year. Do I add the Metatags as if I'm adding a friend on my friends list?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I'll be picking this game up to binge on with a friend in couch co-op this weekend. Has anyone been able to figure out yet whether the load times are significantly improved on the PS3 if you get the downloadable version when compared to the disc version?

Edit: because I hear there's no PS3 install option for the disc verison.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 10, 2014

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I'll be picking this game up to binge on with a friend in couch co-op this weekend. Has anyone been able to figure out yet whether the load times are significantly improved on the PS3 if you get the downloadable version when compared to the disc version?
Unlikely. Think of it as time to practice your "Battle Hymn of the Republic."

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I've been farming DLC 16 and death queen for five hours on Inferno and the FGZ gatling does not want to drop :shepicide:. I'm starting to really loving hate the drop system in this game on higher difficulties.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Polo-Rican posted:

Playing as a fencer feels pretty pointless when you're with an Air Raider who stomps around in a Vegalta dealing double your damage, moving twice as quickly, and with 10x the hit points (6000 vs around 600 currently for our fencer).

Fencers are insanely fast and mobile once you understand how dash cancelling works. Nothing the Air Raider deploys will ever be as agile and hard to pin down as a competent fencer(though some vehicles will be able to move in a straight line substantially faster). It's better to not get hit at all than it is to tank damage, as even huge rear end wall-o-HP vehicles can get ripped apart in seconds by being swamped. Dash cancelling is also a substantial damage output increase for some weapons; the hand cannons fire roughly three times as fast when cancelled repeatedly, for example, which makes them significantly more deadly than a comparable Vegalta's armament.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Edit: because I hear there's no PS3 install option for the disc verison.

I have the digital download version and the load times are horrible, so...

gently caress this game has so many problems but it's so good. :shepicide:

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

I think I may need help. I broke 16% and got the "killed over 20,000 ants total" achievement yesterday and can't seem to stop.

Oh, and Rangers, the level 56(ish) SparrowShot is the best thing ever. So far.

Though the model for the Acid Gun prototype is a thing of beauty:

Just strap a tactical flashlight on top of this bug spray and let's get to war, boys.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Marogareh posted:

I've been farming DLC 16 and death queen for five hours on Inferno and the FGZ gatling does not want to drop :shepicide:. I'm starting to really loving hate the drop system in this game on higher difficulties.

I have never gotten more than halfway through Hardest on any EDF game because of the stupid Armor and Weapon grinding.

Maybe someday they'll do something about that, but I doubt it. Even without touching Hardest and Inferno this is a really fun game.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Yeah the weapon drop list on hardest and inferno is loving dumb. Seriously look at this. Drops from levels 40 to 100 on the last level of inferno.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I have never gotten more than halfway through Hardest on any EDF game because of the stupid Armor and Weapon grinding.

Maybe someday they'll do something about that, but I doubt it. Even without touching Hardest and Inferno this is a really fun game.

Via couch co-op I beat EDF 2017 on Inferno and it was glorious. Worth striving toward.

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

Luminaflare posted:

Yeah the weapon drop list on hardest and inferno is loving dumb. Seriously look at this. Drops from levels 40 to 100 on the last level of inferno.

I poked at this and it required access to view, so I hit request. Cender@g.

I've been waiting for a nice weapon drop list so I'm hoping this is what that is. :q:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Cender posted:

I've been waiting for a nice weapon drop list so I'm hoping this is what that is. :q:

If you just want a list, this site is pretty great and even lets you use it as a checklist for stuff you've got. Top row of buttons is classes (and Vehicle), second row of buttons are weapon categories. The big blue button just below them saves your checkmarks.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Via couch co-op I beat EDF 2017 on Inferno and it was glorious. Worth striving toward.

EDF 2017 was probably my most satisfying 100% ever. (but boy was I glad it was over once I finished...)

The secret, at least IMO, was having the most powerful turrets. I'd essentially just drop 'em and run.

Izno
Sep 10, 2010
So I just got this helicopter that seats 3 where I'm driving and 2 others have some sweet cannons on the side. My one question is... Do these things ever control any easier? It's really tough to line up so that the gunners can actually shoot things. Specifically some day I want to live the dream and have my gunners able to fire inside a drop ship. but even having them able to hit things on the ground would be pretty nice.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The obscene range on drop levels is pretty painful, yeah. But I'd just settle for a game where completing a level auto-hoovers all the drops up into your inventory at the end, maybe that would make the armour grind a little less god-awful.

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

Izno posted:

So I just got this helicopter that seats 3 where I'm driving and 2 others have some sweet cannons on the side. My one question is... Do these things ever control any easier? It's really tough to line up so that the gunners can actually shoot things. Specifically some day I want to live the dream and have my gunners able to fire inside a drop ship. but even having them able to hit things on the ground would be pretty nice.

What I usually see happen is people riding the heli at a low altitude, waiting till all of the EDF NPCs die, and then the ants or whatever swarm under the chopper. The gunners just point straight down and take out huge numbers where it is usually a nightmare to do so. Like #27 Crimson. gently caress that level.

The single seat choppers might get a bit more agile, but I haven't seen any three-seaters that handle much better than a dead whale.

I play primarily as a ranger, though, so hopefully there is a much higher level version I haven't flown yet that is fun and effective instead of just effective.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cender posted:

I think I may need help. I broke 16% and got the "killed over 20,000 ants total" achievement yesterday and can't seem to stop.

Oh, and Rangers, the level 56(ish) SparrowShot is the best thing ever. So far.

Though the model for the Acid Gun prototype is a thing of beauty:

Just strap a tactical flashlight on top of this bug spray and let's get to war, boys.

I thought it was a Scope so could say you did 360 No-Scope Raids :downs:

In other news, My brother who is completely new to the series and playing it off and on aced Crimson his first go, and killed those Red Drones probably twice as fast as I did. I'm so proud. :edf:

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Cender posted:

This is so great. Laser chainsaw's model gets me every time, too. Thanks for the invites btw, sorry I haven't been accepting, I've only been turning on my 360 when I'm about to stream something as of late.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Luceid posted:

The obscene range on drop levels is pretty painful, yeah. But I'd just settle for a game where completing a level auto-hoovers all the drops up into your inventory at the end, maybe that would make the armour grind a little less god-awful.

That would be perfect, or something like the Vacuum Arm from Mega Man Legends.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Cender posted:

I poked at this and it required access to view, so I hit request. Cender@g.

Whoops, didn't realize it was private. Also I didn't make it, just got it on there so I don't lose it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thanks for the weapon list and level guide!

I think EDF 2025 may have spoiled me with its fantastic variety of weapons and ways to make giant insects explode.

Just wish actually getting my hands on lvl 70+ stuff on Inferno wasn't such a desperate struggle to survive.

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

Stelas posted:

If you just want a list, this site is pretty great and even lets you use it as a checklist for stuff you've got. Top row of buttons is classes (and Vehicle), second row of buttons are weapon categories. The big blue button just below them saves your checkmarks.

Thanks for that! I did see it earlier in the thread but my eyes glazed over when it wasn't all in English. Other alphabets are frightening. :)

Section Z posted:

I thought it was a Scope so could say you did 360 No-Scope Raids :downs:

You are right, it's a scope. That's even funnier. I love this game.

rawdog pozfail posted:

This is so great. Laser chainsaw's model gets me every time, too. Thanks for the invites btw, sorry I haven't been accepting, I've only been turning on my 360 when I'm about to stream something as of late.

No worries, I usually throw invites to whoever I see logging in who I've played EDF with if I have room. Sorry to the guy that joined yesterday to a full room, I swear it had two slots open when I sent the party/game invite.

Luminaflare posted:

Whoops, didn't realize it was private. Also I didn't make it, just got it on there so I don't lose it.

This is excellent. It helped me get the best acid gun last night.

That Death Queen (?) level is excellent for farming, if a bit slow. I did it 5 times last night, beat it 3 times, and managed to get a ton of lvl 50-85 weapons I had been missing.

Another one of my favorites. It does ZERO damage, even if I continuously run into an enemy point blank while holding down the fire button.
It is basically a bottle of propane attached to a bottle of propane with a tac scope on top.
EDF EDF EDF EDF

Cender fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 12, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'll stop farming Inferno mission 11 when I finally get a decent loving gatling gun/mortar/rocket launcher :negative: I have a great spear, shield and rifle thing, but I love the Fencer's versatility too much to stick with those alone.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 12, 2014

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Dual gatling guns are probably my favorite fencer weapon, but the range!! Do you ever get one with a good range? I'm sick of not being able to beat any level with a dropship if I choose gatling guns.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Polo-Rican posted:

Dual gatling guns are probably my favorite fencer weapon, but the range!! Do you ever get one with a good range? I'm sick of not being able to beat any level with a dropship if I choose gatling guns.

Yeah, the Gallic Cannons have absurd range and high damage once you break into the ~30 lvl items. I use one that does 2000 damage and can hit a mothership easily. It's more a sniper rifle than an artillery piece.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
Got some level 80 gatling guns last night. They are gatling-gatling guns. Three gatling guns together, with four barrels each, and they BOTH rotate when you fire.

This game.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I love being a wing diver or fencer zipping around the level being johnny on the spot. I was playing a level where the entire team got wiped by hectors except myself and my weapons werent strong enough to do fiddly. Instead I raced around the map shouting edf and encouraging phrases as a fencer and reviving a teammate with actual punch before scooting off for more health pickups.

VG-Robot
Aug 2, 2006

Ask me about fucking the Medievalists and being sooo angry.
If anyone wants an EDF buddy feel free to add me on PSN. I usually do wing diver, but I am happy to grind out some inferno levels so I can upgrade the other support classes. I just unlocked the roller bombs/explosive roombas/doombas for the air raider!

PSN name is VG-robot

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I finally snagged a Lvl 40 Vegalta the other night and I'm blown away how much better it handles than the sub-lvl 20 one's I'd owned previously. At this rate of improvement I feel like lvl 100 bots will be more agile than a Ranger, rolling and all.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Stelas posted:

Agh, this list. It only highlights how much the RNG in this game hates me. :argh: The list itself is fantastic. :allears:

mune
Sep 23, 2006
I've started doing the AFK farming tricks to get armor levels up. They really should have had variable armor given based on difficulty.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
After three days of grinding I finally got the loving FGZ gatling and oh my god it was worth it :allears:. Got around 4k+ armor in the process and it has made the game fun again on Inferno.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Man I had a blast in the game I was playing. I was playing on hard with only normal level armor. There was this fencer who had a ton of health so he was johnny on the spot with revives. Thankfully I didn't need to revive too much since I was a wing diver.

We had another dude who was an air raider who could just not synergize well with the team. Kept summoning big toys for himself and blowing us up. Finally he went wing diver (we were stuck and he "totally could solo this level with wing diver) so I went air raider with the brute copter for transport and a laser kit for the fencer who squealed with joy. So I'm scuttling around lazering everything trying not to die while the fencer is yelling out 'protect my eeeeyyyyeeesss".

Then the game hard locks. :(

Still, fun evening. Sad I couldnt give a better try with the air raider.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I feel like such a moron. I had been blowing through Hard with the Wing Diver mostly just using the Bow and Chainsaw, but traded out the bow for the Ixion 6 way. It worked great until Mountain Liberation and then I fell apart. I could not beat this drat level. I switched to the Thunder Sniper and was doing better, but would get killed by the last waves of dragons. I tried all sorts of things and couldn't beat it. I built up my armor a bit, tried again, failed. Tried a new sniper rifle, failed. After a couple dozen attempts I realized the Thunder Bow would be perfect for this, used it and beat it on my next attempt.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I just bought EDF: Insect Armageddon for $10 on an Xbox Live sale yesterday and gently caress this is fun.

Need to buy 2025 like loving NOW NOW NOW.

[edit]
EDF EDF EDF EDF EDF

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Merijn posted:

I just bought EDF: Insect Armageddon for $10 on an Xbox Live sale yesterday and gently caress this is fun.

Need to buy 2025 like loving NOW NOW NOW.

[edit]
EDF EDF EDF EDF EDF

Like, if you have fun with Insect Armageddon you might want to buckle in because 2025 will knock your socks off. It's just miles and away better than anything that has come before.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
The difference in performance between ps3 and 360 is quite noticeable. I had a fun evening with my brother last night on 360. Chat doesn't go all nuts during the loading screen and waiting for a match to start is almost always less than thirty seconds. I still hope a patch for ps3 will fix the loading and connection issues on PS3 since I was hoping to sell my 360 in the near future, but oh well.

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Nothing's gonna ever keep ya down!
Y'know what's better about Insect Armageddon? NPC's being able to revive you.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Computer Opponent posted:

Y'know what's better about Insect Armageddon? NPC's being able to revive you.

Also, if you're diving around in that game's tank, they're happy to jump into the side turrets and help out. People give IA crap, but it honestly had some good ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I haven't looked at 2025 in-depth, but IA features armor upgrades and I can't see that in 2025. Am I wrong or is this solved by making 2025 armor stronger?