Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

e X posted:

The same why the explain the continuous changes of the Mountains actor.

Put him in the background and don't give him lines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Original was killed by Beric Dondarrion.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Doltos posted:

I feel like the second Mountain spoke more than the first.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Beeez posted:

I feel like the second Mountain spoke more than the first.

The first one said, "SWORD!!!"

The second one said, "You" and "We think it's an infiltrator from the Brotherhood without Banners."

The third one says, "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

ShaqDiesel posted:

The second one said, "You" and "We think it's an infiltrator from the Brotherhood without Banners."

The third one says, "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

The third one says, "Like this", and everyone gets sad.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ShaqDiesel posted:

When the first one said SWORD!!! I thought he was a very intimidating man who didn't need a lot of development as a character for the viewer to understand the scope of who he was. When the second one said "We think it's an infiltrator from the Brotherhood without Banners." I thought that the extra was framed oddly in the camera and that they should aim a bit higher when shooting an extra's one line to avoid the jarring effect.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
I honestly didn't know Mountain 2 was The Mountain until Tywin called him "Clegane".

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The new mountain is supposed to have some memorable lines though, dunno if they kept them or if he can pull it off but it's definitely his most dialog heavy scene in the books.

With the innkeeper's daughter scene he might actually speak a whole four lines of dialog this season. I bet Conan Stevens is kicking himself right now.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ShaqDiesel posted:

I honestly didn't know Mountain 2 was The Mountain until Tywin called him "Clegane".

I didnt know it until Ive read in the show thread that it was him.

The first one was awesome even though he had just one line. That tournament scene was perfect.

That's the Mountain I picture in my mind while reading the books

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Didn't he get shitcanned for going off-script too often or something? And, like, they cut him down to the one word because every take of his other lines was full of ad-libbed bullshit?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I think I read somewhere that Conan Stevens kept trying to add background details and took the angle that the Mountain was some sort of misunderstood genius. Although to be honest it's difficult for me to recall if that info was from a reliable source or from some goon making fun in this thread.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Conan left to take a role in The Hobbit which was ultimately removed from the film, replaced with Manu Bennett, who was then himself replaced with the guy who played the Witch-King in Return of the King.

It wasn't a bad move at the time. He had no idea his Azog would be cut out of Hobbit like that.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yeah, nothing official was ever confirmed about Conan's departure, just some differing rumors. Same thing with old Daario.

Edit: In other news GRRM took a break from writing about football to finish up The World of Ice and Fire coffee table book. It actually sounds really interesting. Probable publication date is this fall.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 10, 2014

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Ballz posted:

Yeah, nothing official was ever confirmed about Conan's departure, just some differing rumors. Same thing with old Daario.

Edit: In other news GRRM took a break from writing about football to finish up The World of Ice and Fire coffee table book. It actually sounds really interesting. Probable publication date is this fall.

That does sound like something I'll probably be purchasing. Is the "son of Kong" at the end of that post a reference to some other work that he's currently involved with?

Edit: I assume he's referencing Winds of Winter as being a rather large "monkey on his back".

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

From @GameOfThrones:

:catstare:

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Behold, Balerion!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Doltos posted:

By not actually addressing it at all. It's not like he had this large, important role in the last season. Just go with the usual crowd scene, somebody yells his name, he reacts shtick. I doubt many people will care.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

lifts cats over head posted:

That does sound like something I'll probably be purchasing. Is the "son of Kong" at the end of that post a reference to some other work that he's currently involved with?

Edit: I assume he's referencing Winds of Winter as being a rather large "monkey on his back".

Yeah, he referred to Dance as Kong in the past.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

e X posted:

By not actually addressing it at all. It's not like he had this large, important role in the last season. Just go with the usual crowd scene, somebody yells his name, he reacts shtick. I doubt many people will care.

Yeah, I figure the simplest way is to just put it in context with the pre-episode flashback scenes. Like the first 15 seconds of this, followed by this. Then start the actual epsiode with the new mountain doing mountain things (like chopping an aurochs in half) and have somebody address him by his full name, and everybody should get it.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
They also have to retell the whole Rhaegar plot and how Ellia of Dorn fits into it. Something that I don't think has really been mentioned on the show so far. I feel like they mentioned Rhaegar by name once in season 1 and never again. Did they even mention Ellia by name?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
They've mentioned Rhaegar fairly frequently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvBXx2MZA5Q

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Rhaegar's story is going to be easy to bring up at any time because his sister is currently the star of one of the three main plots.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Doltos posted:

Rhaegar's story is going to be easy to bring up at any time because his sister is currently the star of one of the three main plots.

Plus his wife's brother is coming in to be a badass, at this point all it takes is one 'hey why are you so pissed at everyone on Westeros' setup for a couple of people to go into a 'remember when they fuckin slaughtered his babies (well, at least for sure one of them?) and raped and murdered his wife all because of a dumbass not being able to handle a wounded ego?' thing.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

lifts cats over head posted:

It is indeed. He hardly gives status reports on his work-in-progresses, but back in 2012 he made a lengthy post detailing all of the "monkeys" on his back. I'm a goon so of course I printed it out and have been gleefully crossing them off whenever he announces a finished project, because that means one less distraction from The Winds of Winter aka "Son of Kong."

Most everything in that 2012 post is done. I don't recall him ever saying he finished that Poul Anderson story and who knows what happened with the next Dunk and Egg installment (it got replaced with The Princess and the Queen for the "Dangerous Women" anthology).

Of course, the big dummy keeps adding more monkeys to his back. He's working on another loving Wild Cards book (High Stakes), to say nothing of buying a movie theater and agreeing to help develop shows for HBO.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

New background spotted. That looks way more beautiful than I expected. Them introducing Meereen and Braavos in the same season is really cool, and now I can't wait to see Oldtown as well.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Plus his wife's brother is coming in to be a badass, at this point all it takes is one 'hey why are you so pissed at everyone on Westeros' setup for a couple of people to go into a 'remember when they fuckin slaughtered his babies (well, at least for sure one of them?) and raped and murdered his wife all because of a dumbass not being able to handle a wounded ego?' thing.
Oberyn already has the scorpions-in-the-bed talk with Tyrion which is all about why he's so very pissed off at the Lannisters. Wouldn't be hard to expand on that just a bit.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Also as soon as Bran gets hooked up to the internet tree the producers are gonna make full use of that episode to cover every single flash back of important events.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Doltos posted:

Also as soon as Bran gets hooked up to the internet tree the producers are gonna make full use of that episode to cover every single flash back of important events.

Oh you think they'll spend one episode on that. Oh no. Every episode is going to be like discount flashback warehouse.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Oh you think they'll spend one episode on that. Oh no. Every episode is going to be like discount flashback warehouse.

Every episode Bran will learn a new and interesting thing about being an old god and sees a vaguely relevant flashback as a reward.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The new mountain is supposed to have some memorable lines though

:ese: "Do you know who I am?"

:black101: "Some dead man."

Can't wait for that one.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

By the 3 seconds (and of course that's enough to make a definitive statement) it looks like they did a stand-up job on Braavos. I'm still pretty confident they'll gently caress up the Faceless Man training just like the House of the Undying.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Next time on HBO's 12-episode series, Flashback of Exposition, starring Isaac Hempstead-Wright.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Next time on HBO's 12-episode series, Flashback of Exposition, starring Isaac Hempstead-Wright, who has now been acting for forty five years since she started at age 10.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

PootieTang posted:

I don't know if this has come up in the thread before, so forgive me if it has. I mention fanfiction a lot, and now I get to talk about published fanfiction, a lovely, totally original and not a rip-off book 'A THRONE OF BONES' the first book in the 'Arts of Dark and Light' series! Written by the great VOX DAY.

I'm sorely tempted to actually buy it and read it, but do I really want to spend money on 900 pages of admitted fanfiction, that from it's description sounds like it took everything unique and interesting out of ASOIAF and stuck in everything I hate about modern fantasy. That and reading something written by ONE OF THE INTERNETS MOST INFLUENTIAL LIBERTARIANS seems like one of the worst ways to spend money.

Do not give one red cent to Vox Day. There are plenty of online personalities I disagree with or dislike, but I don't actively hate any of them. Except this guy, who isn't just an internet hack with delusions of grandeur, he is a piece of actual human poo poo. I actually felt a cold flash of rage when I read his name.

The dude has written multiple racist, sexist, homophobic, everything-abysmal rants attacking specific professionals in the industry, then sic'd his rabid followers on them. He's one of the few lifetime members to ever have been expelled from the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, and is the eye at the center of a shitstorm that is still causing problems within the organization and the whole genre writing community. The guy is poison.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I'm pretty sure mentioning that book you guys are all talking about is bannable outside the bad thread ever since the "WILD CARDS" started trying to advertise it in every thread they visited.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
You must be thinking of the multiple erotica fan fiction books they wrote and put on sale.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

How the gently caress are they going to explain/avoid explaining the Daario actor change in-show? He looks so different.

They should have Tywin go up to Ser Gregor and say "Oh, I see you've managed to rid yourself of those tapeworms and bulked up again."

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

OhDearGodNo posted:

By the 3 seconds (and of course that's enough to make a definitive statement) it looks like they did a stand-up job on Braavos. I'm still pretty confident they'll gently caress up the Faceless Man training just like the House of the Undying.

How did they gently caress up the House of the Undying? You truly, honestly believe they could have shown Robb with Grey Wind's head, wearing an iron crown on a throne, surrounded by his dead soldiers, and not have the viewers immediately figure out that Robb is a dead man? Or that they would spoil the identity of the blue-eyed king, or the mummer's dragon, or any of the other spoilery things? The only reason it works in the books is because we're seeing things through Dany, who doesn't understand any of it. A visual medium is completely unsuitable for that stuff.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
I just wanted to see a bunch of left turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just hate that they killed Irri and that they let Doreah live just to have her gently caress Dany over and be killed by her.

It's not nice. :(

• Locked thread