Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Maggie leaving Bob and Sasha in the woods and running off by herself for no reason other than Sasha was reluctant, then Maggie waiting for them to catch up from the magnificent vantage point of lying on her back between walkers behind a building.

Did I just really miss a lot? I feel like I must have.

Ya that last bit of logic on Maggies behalf was just pants on head stupid and I felt like I must have missed something. Why exactly was she lying next to some dead zombies behind a building? I get that if you stink like zombie the chances of you being a target for hungry "alive" zombies is reduced and all that but she said she was waiting? Why not just wait by the train tracks? How did she know Bob and Sasha would even come for her? Everything about that didn't make much sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

AndyElusive posted:

Ya that last bit of logic on Maggies behalf was just pants on head stupid and I felt like I must have missed something. Why exactly was she lying next to some dead zombies behind a building? I get that if you stink like zombie the chances of you being a target for hungry "alive" zombies is reduced and all that but she said she was waiting? Why not just wait by the train tracks? How did she know Bob and Sasha would even come for her? Everything about that didn't make much sense to me.

She was laying by an ice cream truck. She was going to pop up and scare them when they went to get ice cream. Pay attention.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

Jesus Christ. She wasn't waiting for Bob and Sasha. She outright said she was looking for zombies to make more blood messages for Glenn.

Do you sperglords have some weird constipation complex where you have to ask yourself questions like, "Why do I poo poo out my rear end in a top hat on the toilet when my mouth shits out diarrhea stains that I haven't been able to get out of my neckbeard?"

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AndyElusive posted:

I really have to wonder if you (and the others who dont get it) actually watch the show because most of it was explained by Maggie right after they cleared the zombies. Maggie went into the town because she needed more blood to keep writing messages for Glenn and she got more than one. This presumably left her tired and she collapsed among the zombies she killed and while laying there she came to the realization that she needs the others to help her. I got the impression that she wasn't laying there a very long time, maybe 10-15 minutes. She also said that she heard Sasha say she wanted to stay in the first town, so she was most likely going to wait somewhere safer once she regained some strength.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The dude who saw Rick under the bed was with the rest of the bad men so that might get interesting if Daryl's new friends meet up with his old friends.

Shitenshi posted:

Jesus Christ. She wasn't waiting for Bob and Sasha. She outright said she was looking for zombies to make more blood messages for Glenn.

Do you sperglords have some weird constipation complex where you have to ask yourself questions like, "Why do I poo poo out my rear end in a top hat on the toilet when my mouth shits out diarrhea stains that I haven't been able to get out of my neckbeard?"

I thought she said both things actually. She was in the town because she heard Sasha talk about finding a building to stay in so she decided to wait there for them because she realized she can't go alone, and that she was hiding on the ground because she ran into more zombies than she bargained for when trying to get more blood for a sign. Cohan said on TD that they had planned for that scene to be more explicit, with Maggie gutting a zombie but then seeing a bunch more approaching so she pulls the corpse on top of herself, covering herself in gore to hide but they didn't have time for it or something.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
I feel like this is the show's problem on a whole; you get the idea the writers were trying to convey, but it's just so poorly executed.

If they had just put Maggie under a zombie instead of lying next to it, it would've made more sense. Or had her crawling out of some hidey hole and then Sasha sees her and makes noise to attract more zombies.

Having Maggie choosing to hide/rest by lying down on the ground in plain sight is just kind of dumb, even if the character has an explanation for it.

You know after the burning down of the shelter last week I'm starting to wonder if the real twist of this season's finale is going to be that the virus is making everyone stupider the longer they're alive.

That being said, I still really like this show and will probably continue watching no matter how bad it gets. Unless something terrible happens to Beth. :colbert:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Shitenshi posted:

She literally spoke the words, "I was waiting for you," and a bunch of stuff after that about why she was doing so but ok. Thanks man!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Cohan said on TD that they had planned for that scene to be more explicit, with Maggie gutting a zombie but then seeing a bunch more approaching so she pulls the corpse on top of herself, covering herself in gore to hide but they didn't have time for it or something.

That definitely would have made things clearer but even without it the situation isn't that hard to figure out. Just like it shouldn't have been hard to figure out Bobs flashback was meant to show that he was alone and devoid of feeling, but still wanted to live. I think the best part of the intro was when Bob was just staring at the zombie while in that cave/mine shaft entrance.

I have no interest in seeing what happened to Bobs last two groups unless it was to reveal that Bob was the reason they were overrun because he was sleeping or drunk or something.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
People aren't unclear on what she said, it was just a really really dumb plan. Sasha didn't even see her until she was 3 stories up and in direct line of sight.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

She was laying by an ice cream truck. She was going to pop up and scare them when they went to get ice cream. Pay attention.

Oh that Maggie, always a prankster even during the apocalypse.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

The Human Crouton posted:

Well it is a well-know fact that zombies love ice-cream.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Bob slept on top of the truck, unseen by zombie hordes. Maggie slept on the bottom next to dead zombies in full view and reach of other zombies. I wonder if the actors question the situation their characters are put in.

But as a whole, the episode was pretty great. That one-eyed dog was really cute, but I was hoping it lasted longer than just 15 seconds.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Why does everyone think she was just lying there asleep for hours? Just before Sasha went into the town her and Bob were talking about how they were getting closer to Maggie and they should be able to catch her if they hurry.

What's next is everyone going to start asking how Bob got out of the cave entrance because they didn't show him killing the zombie?

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Tin Miss posted:

I feel like this is the show's problem on a whole; you get the idea the writers were trying to convey, but it's just so poorly executed.

I got it perfectly. Maggie tried to do two things, wait for the others and get more guts for writing to Glenn. She encounters way more walkers than she expected and so does some walking dead survival tricks faking being a corpse. This isn't rocket science, I think the problem is with the show's :audience:.

The kind of people who really like zombies are usually not super smart.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

TMMadman posted:

Why does everyone think she was just lying there asleep for hours? Just before Sasha went into the town her and Bob were talking about how they were getting closer to Maggie and they should be able to catch her if they hurry.

What's next is everyone going to start asking how Bob got out of the cave entrance because they didn't show him killing the zombie?

I would like to know the answer to this.

actually I don't give a poo poo. Bob's jaunty step while he was walking down the train tracks holding the straps on his backpack was pretty adorable though. Made me think Bob, Maggie, and Sasha were going to be in their own version of "Stand By Me" but the dead body gets up and they have to take a machete to its head.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

TMMadman posted:

Will we ever find out who let the zombies loose and triggered the prison's alarm system back in episode 4 of season 3?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Andrew Verse posted:

Will we ever find out who let the zombies loose and triggered the prison's alarm system back in episode 4 of season 3?

You mean Andrew? The convict that Rick has chased into the yard and who was then killed by Oscar after the fight in the generator room at the end of the episode.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I thought she said both things actually. She was in the town because she heard Sasha talk about finding a building to stay in so she decided to wait there for them because she realized she can't go alone, and that she was hiding on the ground because she ran into more zombies than she bargained for when trying to get more blood for a sign. Cohan said on TD that they had planned for that scene to be more explicit, with Maggie gutting a zombie but then seeing a bunch more approaching so she pulls the corpse on top of herself, covering herself in gore to hide but they didn't have time for it or something.
That, and she knew Bob and Sasha were looking for a town. It's not hard to see she got exhausted after looking for zombies and knew she found a place they'd be likely to show up at. People are making it out like she wandered off just to wait for them.

Goddamn. I guess a lot of kids back then really DID have ADHD.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 10, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

TMMadman posted:

You mean Andrew? The convict that Rick has chased into the yard and who was then killed by Oscar after the fight in the generator room at the end of the episode.

"Who pulled the alarm?!?!" has been the 'People really zone out when they watch this show' joke ever since that episode. He was kidding.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

VDay posted:

"Who pulled the alarm?!?!" has been the 'People really zone out when they watch this show' joke ever since that episode. He was kidding.

Haha now I'm the idiot. That's what I get for not knowing the inside jokes of this thread. But I guess that's better than not paying attention to the show.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
It is hard to believe people actually get paid to write this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Well he doesn't look happy by any means, but who does? It's the apocalypse. He didn't look like he was the survivor of any real traumatic experience in exception to what anyone else has gone through.

One of the "previously on" clips was someone saying "that's how we stayed alive/no that's how we stayed breathing." Bob was breathing fine but he wasn't "alive". You say "who looks happy?" but it's been a theme including in this episode for Sasha to call out Bob for looking happy because he's not alone. And its less about "happy/sad" and more about that "breathing/living" thing. Bob now has hope which he didn't have before. Which was also a basic theme of the Beth/Darryl stuff where Beth keeps trying to convince Darryl there's good people left the same way Bob was trying to convince Sasha to keep hoping to find Tyreese. In the end Sasha goes with Maggie and Bob while Darryl is left alone at the mercy of bad people.

Blazing Ownager posted:

If I was anyone in Rick's group and was not specifically thinking someone would have gone there I was trying to find, I'd probably look at the map and find the fastest route in the other direction.

This episode spent half its time establishing exactly this. Sasha thinks its too good to be true and doesn't want to go but Maggie does because she thinks its her best chance of finding Glenn. Bob tries to convince Sasha Tyreese would go there if he's still alive and Glenn discovers it at the end of the episode. Pretty much everyone left is looking for other survivors from their group and we've already seen them start to reason out that Terminus is the most likely meeting place. The only ones we haven't seen actively looking for prison survivors are Darryl and Beth.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I liked the Beth and Daryl dynamic, and his despair at her kidnapping was emotional.

I like Bob and Sasha because I think they are pretty decent actors. I disliked Maggie for what's been stated -- her trying to find Glenn is getting old. And her motivation is all over the place. It comes across as selfish and stupid and over-explanatory. Being saddled with that stupid speech at the end really weighs it all down, but that's not the actress's fault.

I've stopped caring about the survival mechanics / plausibility because it'll drive anyone nuts.

Happy about the bandits, it's nice to start tying these stories together if they're the same people Rick ran into.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I realised what this season is really missing. Water wastage.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I hope Terminus is secretly Wellington and Clementine's there and the series does a full on side-by-side story with the games.

Actually, can we just let Telltale write the TV show? They actually know how to write gut-wrenching character drama.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Naet posted:

I can't decide if the writers think the audience is stupid (possible and accurate) and needs hand-holding to understand character motivation, or if they're just bad at writing non-action/non-plot driven scenes. I'm fine with spending multiple episodes on character development, but give me something new and interesting and paced well. They spent 4 episodes doing what they could have done in 3.

There's no reason why Michonne/Carl/Rick or Beth/Darryl each needed 60 minutes of story for what has actually happened thus far. Even the Maggie/Bob/Sasha group has already repeated its story: Maggie will stop at nothing to find Glenn, but she realizes she needs help from other people; Bob, who used to be depressed and alone, has a revelation about being given another chance to find a purpose in this world; Sasha is in despair, but she reluctantly fights on.

The average viewer is talking about how badass Daryl is and how they hope Maggie and Glenn find each other. As long as there is at least one sexy badass and a couple of love subplots this will be the highest rated show on TV for better or worse.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mexcillent posted:

I got it perfectly. Maggie tried to do two things, wait for the others and get more guts for writing to Glenn. She encounters way more walkers than she expected and so does some walking dead survival tricks faking being a corpse. This isn't rocket science, I think the problem is with the show's :audience:.

The kind of people who really like zombies are usually not super smart.

This is a show were two characters snuck up behind another character while they were all walking on a railroad track. In silence. Did they quick travel or something? They got within 4ft of him and he didn't hear them until they said his name out loud. Then we got our feel good moment of the episode. When Bob gets killed by a surprise zombie it wont be a surprise since he's apparently clinically deaf.

But oh sure, we're the problem.

Anyway, the episode wasn't horrible. The season so far has been much better than Season 2. It's just that some moments and characters are incredibly :psyduck:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Crankit posted:

I realised what this season is really missing. Water wastage.

No-no. Carol threw away all their rain water in the first half of this season. Unless you mean this second half. Then I'd have to say you're right. Not enough water wasting.

Naet posted:

The writers think the audience is stupid (possible and accurate) and needs hand-holding to understand character motivation,

Yes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The Terminus set must be really expensive. ~my explanation for this season.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

It's Dennis Hopper on a floating barge.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

This is a show were two characters snuck up behind another character while they were all walking on a railroad track. In silence. Did they quick travel or something? They got within 4ft of him and he didn't hear them until they said his name out loud. Then we got our feel good moment of the episode. When Bob gets killed by a surprise zombie it wont be a surprise since he's apparently clinically deaf.

But oh sure, we're the problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8w95xIdH4o

These are the types of people who argue about whether zombies would have vocal cords to growl because they're already dead. There are legitimate things to complain about, like the zombie conveniently biting on Bob's bandages with no seeming complications coming from that, but no, instead you're going to complain about character motivations broadcast loud and clear by everyone in the show or what barely constitutes as a cinematography error.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 10, 2014

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Blazing Ownager posted:

Character development and dialogue are really good things, but ask yourself one question: What more have we learned about anyone from this? Do you know more about Maggie now than you did before this began? Or Glenn? Or Rick? Or Michonne? Or Daryl? To me it feels like I've learned exactly zero from all of it about their characters, with no new insights or evolution to them. Because character development actually does require stuff to happen.

Yeah, this is basically my point. Even the best scene of Daryl thus far (where he blames himself for the prison disaster) is basically a rehash of when he blames himself for Sophia and becomes an angry introvert with no cause for living.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That dog's a pretty big rear end in a top hat to attack the house with zombies just for some pig feet.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Never trust dogs in a post-apocalyptic setting.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Shitenshi posted:

There are legitimate things to complain about, like the zombie conveniently biting on Bob's bandages with no seeming complications coming from that

Bob also has open wound beneath that bandage (which is surprisingly thin). He should have turned. He didn't, but he definitely should've.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Bored posted:

No-no. Carol threw away all their rain water in the first half of this season. Unless you mean this second half. Then I'd have to say you're right. Not enough water wasting.

I'd lost track of this being the second half of a season, I thought all this wandering around doing nothing was a season unto itself.

zVxTeflon posted:

I hope this is true, and that we see actual aliens and that's why there's zombies.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~
I'm kind of disappointed in myself for how excited I am for Bandit Daryl, it seems so fangirlish but I really want to see a different approach to everything.

I liked the mortuary as a set piece but, like the Country Club, they dropped the ball on telling a story with it. Same with the ice cream truck wagon circle (right next to a bunch of buildings that could offer better shelter). All the nice little things that they could show and use to bring us into the world are being overshadowed by awful character development.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shitenshi posted:

These are the types of people who argue about whether zombies would have vocal cords to growl because they're already dead. There are legitimate things to complain about, like the zombie conveniently biting on Bob's bandages with no seeming complications coming from that, but no, instead you're going to complain about character motivations broadcast loud and clear by everyone in the show or what barely constitutes as a cinematography error.

As dumb as the bandage bite was, I found the railroad track super happy sneak up at the end pretty dumb as well, cinematography error or not.

I'll just chalk it up to Sasha and Maggie being super ninjas and do what Basil Exposition suggests.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm really usually not bad at getting the gist of events and motivations in this show. Like a previous goon said,"I was waiting for you" threw me off. She was "waiting" in a completely impractical place and assuming she collapsed in a extraordinarily dangerous spot from exhaustion... Well, she leapt right up and shoveled a half dozen walkers right quick. Okay, maybe she cleared the threat and collapsed to consider her predicament. Except she didn't do that at all since walkers practically exploded from the other side of the ice cream truck as soon as that glass broke.

So we're left to believe Maggie either laid down in a precarious area to think or collapsed from exhaustion, wasn't bothered by the walkers on the other side of the truck for however long, then lept to her feet to resume the battle. Or maybe it was clear when she collapsed and walkers just happened to build up on the other side of the truck after a while?

It just wasn't executed very well. These questions wouldn't exist if they just had her emerge from the ding dang truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Maggie decided to regroup with the others and figured she would wait at a landmark (the warehouse or whatever), and at the same time make another sign for Glenn. She found more zombies than she could handle, so before they all notice her she lies down next to a couple corpses to avoid detection. When Sasha breaks the glass, they all come walking towards Maggie and she realizes that she can't hide anymore, so she gets up and fights.

It's not hard, people.

• Locked thread