Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
My wife is talking about getting rid of our grinder/maker combo and getting a Keurig k-cup system. Is this at all worth while? I personally like the idea of being able to grind my own beans and have them immediately be brewed into a nice cup, and I'm not sure the k-cup solution is all that cost effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Cimber posted:

My wife is talking about getting rid of our grinder/maker combo and getting a Keurig k-cup system. Is this at all worth while? I personally like the idea of being able to grind my own beans and have them immediately be brewed into a nice cup, and I'm not sure the k-cup solution is all that cost effective.

It absolutely isn't from any perspective: cost or taste.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Its one of the worst coffee transitions you could possibly make. More expensive; less good.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Corla Plankun posted:

Its one of the worst coffee transitions you could possibly make. More expensive; less good.

That is what i was thinking. She wants it for the convenience, I don't see how what we have right now is any less easy.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Do you like helping to fill landfills? Do you enjoy drinking old stale poo poo coffee that was roasted and ground god knows when? Do you like drinking coffee that was not even brewed at correct temperatures? Do you enjoy paying 10 times or more the price for each cup you drink? Do you enjoy DRM coffee that you can only buy from one supplier?

If you answered yes to any of these questions the K-cup system is the way to go!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

ded posted:

Do you like helping to fill landfills? Do you enjoy drinking old stale poo poo coffee that was roasted and ground god knows when? Do you like drinking coffee that was not even brewed at correct temperatures? Do you enjoy paying 10 times or more the price for each cup you drink? Do you enjoy DRM coffee that you can only buy from one supplier?

If you answered yes to any of these questions the K-cup system is the way to go!

No.
No.
No.
No.
No. Wait, what? DRM coffee?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Cimber posted:

No.
No.
No.
No.
No. Wait, what? DRM coffee?

It was on the last page. Keurig has mentioned the idea of implementing some sort of DRM to effectively make it so that you can only use their pods and not any of the third party coffee suppliers.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Like the chips in printer cartridges that let printers identify off-brand replacements.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I wasnt a big fan of the idea before, now I am totally against that. gently caress those guys and their DRM poo poo.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
What kind of time does your wife expect to save? Do you currently brew a single pot and share or do you do it separately?

I'm a lazy heathen and use a Bonavita drip. Between grinding, filling the reservoir with water, and brewing, even to the full 8 cups, it's less than 5 minutes. In my 99% use case of only two cups for myself, it seems to take as long as the toaster.

Every time I've used a K-cup, it seems to take a good 2-3 minutes for a single (mug) cup.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Cheesus posted:

What kind of time does your wife expect to save? Do you currently brew a single pot and share or do you do it separately?

I'm a lazy heathen and use a Bonavita drip. Between grinding, filling the reservoir with water, and brewing, even to the full 8 cups, it's less than 5 minutes. In my 99% use case of only two cups for myself, it seems to take as long as the toaster.

Every time I've used a K-cup, it seems to take a good 2-3 minutes for a single (mug) cup.

All her friends have one, and she uses one in the office.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Cimber posted:

The power of marketing in action right here. Selling an inferior product at a higher price in initial cost and long term.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cimber posted:

The counter to this situation is to teach her to be a bigger snob. Make sure that she is aware that she has better taste in coffee than everyone else she knows.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I wish I had some advice. My wife uses K-cups at the office and Tassimo at home (she had it before we met). I can't imagine prying it out of her cold dead hands.

Her big draw is the flavored drinks. If you think the plain coffee is bad, imagine how hard they had to work to gently caress up sugared drinks.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Cheesus posted:

I wish I had some advice. My wife uses K-cups at the office and Tassimo at home (she had it before we met). I can't imagine prying it out of her cold dead hands.

Her big draw is the flavored drinks. If you think the plain coffee is bad, imagine how hard they had to work to gently caress up sugared drinks.

Yeah, thats one of her 'benefits'. "But honey, if you wanted that strong coffee stuff and I wanted my Cinnamon caramel strawberry pisswater, it would be so much easier to make!"

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Cimber posted:

Yeah, thats one of her 'benefits'. "But honey, if you wanted that strong coffee stuff and I wanted my Cinnamon caramel strawberry pisswater, it would be so much easier to make!"

Buy some syrups or something, they seem readily available

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Advice from an unmarried person, start making good coffee for yourself and deny her a taste until she can't stand it anymore and hits you in the head with the keurig or maybe sabotage the keurig so it looks like an accident

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Keurigs are pretty sweet at an office setting. Nobody is going to clean the coffee machine or grinder there and the beans will go stale anyway.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Mu Zeta posted:

Keurigs are pretty sweet at an office setting. Nobody is going to clean the coffee machine or grinder there and the beans will go stale anyway.

I've never worked in an office before but now I want to work in one where the break room has a pour over bar, mahlkonig grinders, hot water tap, and goose neck kettles.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Mu Zeta posted:

Keurigs are pretty good for any situation where you cannot trust the user to be more than a functional retard (e.g. customers, patients, etc).

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
The keurig machines at my office are disgusting cess pools with a hint of every flavor that has ever graced it. The main problem is the automatic cup disposal. When you open the top to put in your cup, it kicks the previous one into a bin. Think about this. You always have a nasty stale cup hanging out in there.

CCD at my desk for life. I use the breast feeding room to grind my beans in privacy.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

My office gets Peet's in single-batch pouches that usually smell pretty fresh to me (though there isn't a date printed on them). It gets made in a food-service-style drip brewer into insulated pump bottles. The office is big enough that a batch usually isn't more than an hour or so old. It usually comes out better than Starbuck's, and at least as good regular drip coffee from non-third-wave places. Though they also keep around a Flavia machine that somehow uses even more packaging per cup than a Keurig. I guess some people weren't able to live without their cup of "Milky Way Swirl"(TM) reconstituted milk with coffee flavor.

One of our other offices has this crazy freestanding automatic machine that has a huge hopper of beans on the top and with a grinder and some kind of espresso machine on the inside. You push a button and it basically grinds and brews you an espresso or Americano. I actually like the Peet's drip coffee better than what comes out of that thing.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Mu Zeta posted:

Not to mention the person who goes to make the (standard drip) pot might like their coffee way too (weak/strong) and it's like drinking (water/fuel) and probably made from Folgers or similar quality pre-ground.

My parents picked up a Tassimo at some point, preferring it to having to deal with the nice Zojirushi drip machine they had. I try it when I'm desperate, and some of it is far more drinkable than I'd have expected, though I sooner will buy instant if I'm going to just be throwing it in a blender with milk and sugar anyway.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I bring a half liter thermos of coffee to work cause the coffee at work is so bad (standard Bunn machine that like Comic says is either water or fuel with no middle ground). I'd love to make my own fresh coffee at work though. I think a press pot would be the easiest no-hassle coffee, but I'd need to buy a Virtuoso to replace my Encore at home…

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

becoming posted:

Depends on how you want to drink it. For a cold drink that I'm going to dilute 1:1 with milk, I like to use a french press grind and a 1:8 ratio - so I might use 100g beans with 800g water. I put it in a jar, put the jar in a cool dark place (top of my pantry), and let it sit for 12-14 hours. Filter it, put it in another jar, and then mix 1:1 with milk, cold water, or a combination thereof. So maybe 200g concentrate, 100g water, 100g milk.

If I want to drink it hot - by adding hot water - I go for a ratio of 1:4. Follow the same procedure as above, but when it comes time to dilute, I'm now going one part concentrate to three parts hot water. 100g concentrate, 300g of very hot water.

Those are obviously two very different drinks. The nice thing about the cold brew 1:4 is that I can dispense hot water from my Zojirushi hot pot and have a cup of hot coffee in all of about thirty seconds in the morning, or I can mix it 1:1 with cold water, then mix that concoction 1:1 with milk and have a pretty great iced coffee drink.

48 hours is probably much too long, but I encourage you to try it and report back!

This is great. As soon as I get my Virtuoso I'll definitely do this and report back. But to clarify- you said you'd use 800g of water for 100g of beans. How do you end up with 200g of concentrated cold brew? I'll most likely add milk as well, but only when I'm going to actually drink it -- not as part of the brewing process.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This discussion was a while back, but after somebody brought up that melitta filters leave a distinct paper taste, I decided to bite the bullet and pick up a box of filtropas. Since I've basically used melittas since I got my CCD, I figured I wasn't very qualified to judge the melitta without a comparison.

The result: dear god, it's like night and day. The filtropa cup was much smoother and lacked a lot of the bitterness I'd often get with the CCD (but never got with a chemex, hence the curiosity) to produce a much better cup. And this was with beans that are approaching two weeks since roasting: I can't wait to try it with a fresh batch.

Filtropa filters: highly recommended!

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

mr. yolk posted:

This is great. As soon as I get my Virtuoso I'll definitely do this and report back. But to clarify- you said you'd use 800g of water for 100g of beans. How do you end up with 200g of concentrated cold brew? I'll most likely add milk as well, but only when I'm going to actually drink it -- not as part of the brewing process.

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear. After you've brewed it, when you want a cold coffee, pour 200ml of the 1:8 concentrate into a glass, then add another 200ml of milk (or 200ml of cold water, or 100ml of milk and 100ml of water, or whatever combination works for you).

I haven't weighed out my yields, but I expect that somewhere around 10% of the water is left in the grounds. So 100g beans and 800ml water might yield around 720ml concentrate. This is just a guess.

Another plug for a hot water dispenser. I have a Zojirushi CV-DSC40 and it is mind-blowingly awesome. As I said, you can make a 1:4 cold brew (so 200mg beans to 800ml water), and then when you want coffee in the morning, pour about 100ml concentrate into your mug, then walk to the hot water pot and dispense about 300ml of hot water. Hot coffee in probably under 30 seconds. (I'll need to time it.) Plus, I never need to boil water to brew - just dispense into a pouring kettle and I'm rolling.

Sydin posted:

This discussion was a while back, but after somebody brought up that melitta filters leave a distinct paper taste, I decided to bite the bullet and pick up a box of filtropas. Since I've basically used melittas since I got my CCD, I figured I wasn't very qualified to judge the melitta without a comparison.

The result: dear god, it's like night and day. The filtropa cup was much smoother and lacked a lot of the bitterness I'd often get with the CCD (but never got with a chemex, hence the curiosity) to produce a much better cup. And this was with beans that are approaching two weeks since roasting: I can't wait to try it with a fresh batch.

Filtropa filters: highly recommended!

You can thank Google Butt as this thread's foremost Filtropa evangelist. He is right, though, and that's why I ordered about ten boxes of them from Sweet Maria's a few months back. They are superb.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Cheesus posted:

Exactly, I make coffee for my wife every morning. I grind the beans and start the brewer (Technivorm)and then she has fresh coffee when she wakes up. The whole process takes less than 10 minutes and 5 of those minutes is me eating my cereal while the Technivorm does its thing.

The only other time consuming thing is that we roast a pound of coffee every Saturday or Sunday but that's only: Toss the beans in the roaster, bullshit in the kitchen for less than 20 minutes until it starts the cool cycle. Do something else for 20 minutes and then take out beans/clean roaster. And the samplers at Sweet Maria's are $5/lb. Much cheaper than the $7-8 bucks we were paying for a 12oz bag of Archer Farms. The grinder/roaster investment will take 18 months to pay for itself. Just a large initial investment but cheaper in the long run. And you could always go with the dog bowl/heat gun method to reduce the startup cost.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Cimber posted:

All her friends have one,

You're screwed. Get her a Keurig in addition to whatever you're using now and save yourself a lot of heartache arguing this. There are a million and one reasons a k-cup machine is more desirable than whatever you're using now and no argument you can present will offset the power of "all my friends have one and I want one too." I've fought similar battles before and even if you win, you're still going to lose.

Goonspeed brave sir, and don't let her take away your current coffee setup :patriot:

Unrelated: Sweet Marias is out of my beloved Guatemalan Cafe Pulcal, anyone have recommendations for a favorite Guatemalan coffee?

o muerte fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 11, 2014

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
After browsing this thread for a while, I ordered a chemex and filters. What would the next logical step be (besides making coffee), getting a grinder?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Cloks posted:

After browsing this thread for a while, I ordered a chemex and filters. What would the next logical step be (besides making coffee), getting a grinder?

Yes. You need a grinder. Decide your price range. The Capresso Infinity gets a lot of good reviews, but most folks would recommend you spend a few extra bucks and get a Baratza Encore ($99 refurb from Baratza, $130 new on Amazon). I have the next step up, a Baratza Virtuoso, and it is excellent, but will run you a bit more (around $230 new). It has better burrs than the Encore, but for Chemex brewing, I think the Encore will do you quite nicely. If that is too pricey, a lot of us here like the Hario Mini Mill, which is about $28 on Amazon. I have one for my at-work coffee fix and it's pretty solid. If you're making smaller batches of coffee, it's fine. For larger batches, you'll want a Baratza or similar.

You can do without a pouring kettle, but Chemex benefits from one. I got a Kalita Wave kettle on Amazon for $58, and it is awesome. I also have a Takahiro kettle that was $130, and it pours slower (good for single-cup V60 pour-over, for example), but for Chemex, I would highly recommend the Wave kettle. I love mine and use it pretty much every day. Another popular choice is Bonavita. They have three models - stove top (about $30), electric to boil ($60), and electric temperature control ($100). I have one of the latter, and it is also awesome. Its pour rate is a bit faster than I wanted for larger Chemex batches (because the filters drain so slowly on Chemex), which is part of the reason I bought a Takahiro (and then a Wave). That having been said, I am super duper anal and kind of spendy on my hobbies, so don't think that a Bonavita kettle won't do you right - it will. The temperature control one is especially great because you can just have it go straight to, say, 80ºC for making a more delicate tea, instead of boiling and then waiting for it to cool.

Grinder first, kettle second.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I'd argue that a digital scale is more important than a new kettle, assuming you already have some sort of traditional kettle, you can pour after the water stops boiling and get pretty close. If you can afford both, definitely do that.

Also, you are welcome to join the Cult Of Filtropa.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 11, 2014

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

becoming posted:

Yes. You need a grinder. Decide your price range. The Capresso Infinity gets a lot of good reviews, but most folks would recommend you spend a few extra bucks and get a Baratza Encore ($99 refurb from Baratza, $130 new on Amazon). I have the next step up, a Baratza Virtuoso, and it is excellent, but will run you a bit more (around $230 new). It has better burrs than the Encore, but for Chemex brewing, I think the Encore will do you quite nicely. If that is too pricey, a lot of us here like the Hario Mini Mill, which is about $28 on Amazon. I have one for my at-work coffee fix and it's pretty solid. If you're making smaller batches of coffee, it's fine. For larger batches, you'll want a Baratza or similar.

You can do without a pouring kettle, but Chemex benefits from one. I got a Kalita Wave kettle on Amazon for $58, and it is awesome. I also have a Takahiro kettle that was $130, and it pours slower (good for single-cup V60 pour-over, for example), but for Chemex, I would highly recommend the Wave kettle. I love mine and use it pretty much every day. Another popular choice is Bonavita. They have three models - stove top (about $30), electric to boil ($60), and electric temperature control ($100). I have one of the latter, and it is also awesome. Its pour rate is a bit faster than I wanted for larger Chemex batches (because the filters drain so slowly on Chemex), which is part of the reason I bought a Takahiro (and then a Wave). That having been said, I am super duper anal and kind of spendy on my hobbies, so don't think that a Bonavita kettle won't do you right - it will. The temperature control one is especially great because you can just have it go straight to, say, 80ºC for making a more delicate tea, instead of boiling and then waiting for it to cool.

Grinder first, kettle second.

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably start with the mini mill until I can afford the encore, which might be a few months.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Google Butt posted:

I'd argue that a digital scale is more important than a new kettle, assuming you already have some sort of traditional kettle, you can pour after the water stops boiling and get pretty close. If you can afford both, definitely do that.

Also, you are welcome to join the Cult Of Filtropa.

I've heard that a digital scale would be nice, but I'll probably settle for inconsistent brews until I can get my hands on one. I'm always up for joining a cult, so I'll look into Filtropa.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Cloks posted:

I've heard that a digital scale would be nice, but I'll probably settle for inconsistent brews until I can get my hands on one. I'm always up for joining a cult, so I'll look into Filtropa.

I suggest this guy right here, $18.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Cloks posted:

We all have this one. It's $18. You can afford it.

Edit - aaaaaaand beaten.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

becoming posted:

Edit - aaaaaaand beaten.

:) It should probably be added to the OP at this point.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

becoming posted:

Edit - aaaaaaand beaten.

Yeah, I can. Does each type of coffee have a different weight associated with an ideal cup or is there a consistent measurement for making a five oz cup of coffee?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Cloks posted:

Yeah, I can. Does each type of coffee have a different weight associated with an ideal cup or is there a consistent measurement for making a five oz cup of coffee?

A good starting point is a 17:1 water:grounds ratio, I think this is explained in the op. Basically you'll be weighing the grounds, placing your chemex on the scale (tare it after you put it on) and then pouring the water until you reach the desired weight in grams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There probably is an ideal ratio for different types of coffees but I think that's for crazy people to figure out.