Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Wikkee! posted:

I have a thing for the misprint guys here.

The weekend before last, I was at a Walmart and they still had some M12 boosters for sale, so I picked up the remaining three because I am a filthy casual and I didn't get much M12 when it was current. I pulled some good stuff (Primeval Titan :getin:), but in one of the packs, I only got two uncommons and this thing:

Yep, she's blank. I don't know how common this sort of thing is, but outside of writing "BLACK LOTUS LOL" on it in sharpie for use as a proxy, what good is this? Is it worth anything to misprint people? Should I be pissed that I got shafted out of a Phantasmal Dragon?

There is a blank foil on ebay for $40. So, there MAY be some market for it, but without anything on it I don't know what that market is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I think you can email wizards with that picture and they'll send you replacement product. Possibly more than one pack, too. Maybe.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

You could get between 7-14 dollars for that.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Wikkee! posted:

I have a thing for the misprint guys here.

The weekend before last, I was at a Walmart and they still had some M12 boosters for sale, so I picked up the remaining three because I am a filthy casual and I didn't get much M12 when it was current. I pulled some good stuff (Primeval Titan :getin:), but in one of the packs, I only got two uncommons and this thing:

Yep, she's blank. I don't know how common this sort of thing is, but outside of writing "BLACK LOTUS LOL" on it in sharpie for use as a proxy, what good is this? Is it worth anything to misprint people? Should I be pissed that I got shafted out of a Phantasmal Dragon?

They're fairly common actually. I've seen them go for $5-10 usually. They often do better as trade tools with someone who really finds it interesting.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tharizdun posted:

Notably, there are no draws in Yu-Gi-Oh!, which has a lot to do with how tiebreakers are very simple.

It also has to do with how some parts of YGO are just bad. No draws means that we play until someone wins, no matter what. So I can make a deck that either draws, or has a first-turn unbeatable combo.
It wasn't just wild theoretical idea, it existed. In the Strange Card Game Rules thread (here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3539463 ) there's a bit of a write-up on it on the first page.

I think that a game that functions, even if the software craps itself at literally the largest tournament ever, is preferable to one that... Doesn't.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
I must have looked at that brainstorm for 5 minutes, for the blind...what is the issue with the card?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Nissir posted:

I must have looked at that brainstorm for 5 minutes, for the blind...what is the issue with the card?

If it's the one i'm thinking of, all of the text on it is misaligned.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Niton posted:

If it's the one i'm thinking of, all of the text on it is misaligned.

The text is shifted, yes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The March Hare posted:

Hmm, might be time to sell my foil runed halo... Thanks grand prix!

Did that see play, or just from Chapin saying it would? Sure it's a pretty-looking card though, and I did think of getting a set, as I'm looking to do BW or Esper with my new Modern deck.

Are there any recommendations for articles or whatever on deck brewing? I've asked if anyone's read Chapin's "Next-level Deck Bulding" but got no answers, so I guess no-one here has.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Did that see play, or just from Chapin saying it would?

I'm sure someone played it out of the 4,300 players, but it was Chapin saying it is underplayed thats caused the rise in price.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
How much would I have to pay Chapin to say that Havoc Festival is underplayed?

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Are there any recommendations for articles or whatever on deck brewing? I've asked if anyone's read Chapin's "Next-level Deck Bulding" but got no answers, so I guess no-one here has.

More like Next-level money wasting, heh.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

And now Walk the Aeons has popped over the last 8 weeks to $6 (from junk-rare). What on earth is happening to my Magic collection?

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Tharizdun posted:

And now Walk the Aeons has popped over the last 8 weeks to $6 (from junk-rare). What on earth is happening to my Magic collection?

Modern is making unbelievable stupid happen.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Its magical. I'm going to sell off cards in May/June, recoup all my costs from the year and still have viable decks. :allears:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

All of these price spikes are not bubbles and driven by the tournament scene. The REAL tournament scene. Some of you know what I am talking about.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

50 pounds of bread posted:

I don't think it's entirely Modern in particular; I mean, yes, the examples we're talking about are located in Modern, but I think part of it's just the fact that the idea of getting in on the ground floor of the next big thing has finally hit a critical mass among the populace, such that people who missed $1 Tarmogoyfs or $4 Birthing Pods or bargain bin Specters want to make double drat sure they don't miss the next thing, whatever that may be. Whether they're actually speculating, or just wanting to inoculate themselves against being financially punished in the future for not buying all of the playsets all the time, doesn't really matter.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

JerryLee posted:

I don't think it's entirely Modern in particular; I mean, yes, the examples we're talking about are located in Modern, but I think part of it's just the fact that the idea of getting in on the ground floor of the next big thing has finally hit a critical mass among the populace, such that people who missed $1 Tarmogoyfs or $4 Birthing Pods or bargain bin Specters want to make double drat sure they don't miss the next thing, whatever that may be. Whether they're actually speculating, or just wanting to inoculate themselves against being financially punished in the future for not buying all of the playsets all the time, doesn't really matter.

I definitely think this is the case, as I am one of those people. I recently got back into Magic after years off (again), and I am constantly watching these threads and the pros and the price market so that I can move on cards ASAP in hopes that I can make a few bucks. I think I posted a few pages back how I am watching the shocklands to drop down just a tad before the Standard rotation so I can stock up in hopes they jump when demand on them goes up in a couple years.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've read it. It's a fine book with a lot of good information, but the second half is mostly just outlining deck archetypes with examples. I think the best parts are when he talks about building mana bases and sideboards, and especially how the two interact.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

50 pounds of bread posted:

There's a Modern deck that plays Walk the Aeons? Got a list? That deck sounds sweet

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Madmarker posted:

I'm sure someone played it out of the 4,300 players, but it was Chapin saying it is underplayed thats caused the rise in price.

Actually it was the people that kept stopping by my table to watch the Goon Approved UW Prison deck dunk on people. A deck we put together before Chapin talked about it BY THE WAY :colbert:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Elyv posted:

There's a Modern deck that plays Walk the Aeons? Got a list? That deck sounds sweet

Do you like janky decks that fold easily? I've got a list for you.

23 Snow-Covered Island
4 Serum Visions
4 Howling Mine
4 Remand
4 Extraplanar Lens
4 Jace Beleren
4 Time Warp
4 Walk the Aeons
4 Temporal Mastery
4 Time Stretch
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

Timewalk and draw your whole deck until you slam Emrakul and win! Do it quickly with extraplanar lens!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

OssiansFolly posted:

I definitely think this is the case, as I am one of those people. I recently got back into Magic after years off (again), and I am constantly watching these threads and the pros and the price market so that I can move on cards ASAP in hopes that I can make a few bucks. I think I posted a few pages back how I am watching the shocklands to drop down just a tad before the Standard rotation so I can stock up in hopes they jump when demand on them goes up in a couple years.

Yeah I thnk very few people are actually attempting to buy cards, move the market, and flip for profit. I think the vast majority of purchases are folks who see the pattern of price rises and just want to avoid missing the boat.

The funny thing is how tenuously the jumps are related to actual tournament demand now. Teferi a one-of in a sideboard of a small-meta deck.

The best is Helix Pinnacle, not even used in edh much as far as I know:

http://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/2504 700% price spike :lol:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'd have figured FTV printings of Omnath alone would drive Helix Pinnacle to 5 bucks.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Am I wrong for sitting on my FTV:20 for this long? JTMS dropped by a third, but I figure in time a sealed FTV:20 will gradually raise in value. Of course everyone else is doing that too, so I dunno :shrug: it was $40 MSRP from a local store run by a nice lady.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah I thnk very few people are actually attempting to buy cards, move the market, and flip for profit.

Because it usually doesn't work very well. You can buy out TCGPlayer and temporarily move the market easily enough, all you need is cash, but flipping for profit is tough if the demand isn't there. If people don't want the card to play with they'll just sell into the spike, creating a lot of supply trying to fulfill very little genuine demand. The price will go right back down again. When you factor in sellers fees on TCGPlayer or ebay, the margins just aren't there in most cases.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Promoted Pawn posted:

Because it usually doesn't work very well. You can buy out TCGPlayer and temporarily move the market easily enough, all you need is cash, but flipping for profit is tough if the demand isn't there. If people don't want the card to play with they'll just sell into the spike, creating a lot of supply trying to fulfill very little genuine demand. The price will go right back down again. When you factor in sellers fees on TCGPlayer or ebay, the margins just aren't there in most cases.

I wonder how many people actually sold Didgeridoo for more than 50c

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Promoted Pawn posted:

Bitcoin continues to be a good analogy. The bitcoin threads in GBS get a lot of entertainment out of the people who buy at the top of the spike because oh god what if it keeps going up uP UP I'll miss my big chance, and I think the same mindset can be at work here.

While the people doing this for their own protection (rather than to flip cards) are doubtlessly being a little bit silly, I find it hard to really blame them. This is the sort of mindset that comes out of a game economy that, especially recently, sends the message that you will be punished for not knowing what cards you should have/what deck you want to play in two or three years.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The game economy isn't sending a message that you will be punished, the production cycle simply can't respond to changes in demand with any sort of immediacy. Wizards isn't interested in punishing you for not buying all the cards from last years set, they want to provide incentive to continue playing predominantly standard for reasons we've covered to death, but simply didn't and couldn't be expected to assume the game's growth would continue at its astronomical rate.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

The game economy isn't sending a message that you will be punished, the production cycle simply can't respond to changes in demand with any sort of immediacy. Wizards isn't interested in punishing you for not buying all the cards from last years set, they want to provide incentive to continue playing predominantly standard for reasons we've covered to death, but simply didn't and couldn't be expected to assume the game's growth would continue at its astronomical rate.

Yeah but it did expand rapidly for many years in a row, so I don't think that defense works. You can't see the same increase three-four years in a row and say "We didn't expect this kind of increase!" every god drat year. Maybe plan for that increase for once and if it doesn't happen then re-adjust? It's cool to have your product in high enough demand to sell out of places, but conversely it sucks to be on the other end of it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mortimer posted:

Yeah but it did expand rapidly for many years in a row, so I don't think that defense works. You can't see the same increase three-four years in a row and say "We didn't expect this kind of increase!" every god drat year. Maybe plan for that increase for once and if it doesn't happen then re-adjust? It's cool to have your product in high enough demand to sell out of places, but conversely it sucks to be on the other end of it.

Here's the thing though, they did adjust for the rise, but a 20% rise (I think) year after year is unrealistic. What I think they did was that, when they saw the first or second large yearly growth, they adjusted for the number, plus a little, but without expecting it to rise at the same rate again, because, again, 20% is a huge number.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Mortimer posted:

Yeah but it did expand rapidly for many years in a row, so I don't think that defense works. You can't see the same increase three-four years in a row and say "We didn't expect this kind of increase!" every god drat year.

It's one thing to expect an increase in players overall with a new set (and with Theros, they clearly did; stores here had trouble getting RtR at points last year but have had no trouble getting Theros despite Theros apparently being on pace to supplant RtR as their best-selling set). It's totally different for them to expect a threefold increase in players playing Modern after the release of Modern Masters. I can't fault them for not planning for that.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Stinky Pit posted:

You realize when I say the game's economy I'm talking about more than just Wizards, and I'm talking about both intended and unintended consequences, right?

I don't think Aaron Forsythe is sitting in an office jerking off with one hand and twirling his moustache with the other at the thought of people having to pay $150 for Tarmogoyfs as divine justice for not looking into a crystal ball eight years ago. I do believe that "punishment" is what emerges from the current system for anyone who isn't in on the ground floor, whether being in on the ground floor comes from being a market savant or just dumb luck.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 10, 2014

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The best is Helix Pinnacle, not even used in edh much as far as I know:

http://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/2504 700% price spike :lol:

Wait what? Why, is it a one-of in a Green Devotion list?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Frozen_flame posted:

Wait what? Why, is it a one-of in a Green Devotion list?

That was my first thought. It would be kinda fun to try to run it in my modern green devotion since that deck could probably charge that thing up 3 turns after dropping it. I'd use it in a green edh at least.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Fingers McLongDong posted:

That was my first thought. It would be kinda fun to try to run it in my modern green devotion since that deck could probably charge that thing up 3 turns after dropping it. I'd use it in a green edh at least.

Someone at that Chapin talk at Richmond (or at least on the Richond coverage, I don't know) mentioned having a monogreen deck, I had assumed it ran Primalcrux. I guess you could use Doubling Season to speed things up, but it still seems a tall order to set off.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Omnath would like it. I've got it floating around in my Shattergang list along with Upwelling and Braid of Fire. Cheap fodder to sacrifice as required, then return them to play via stuff like Crystal Chimes

In any case, odd EDH use and theoretical Modern applications. Woohoo.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Who is planning on playing at SCGSea this weekend? SWEET STANDARD ACTION YO.

I'm playing a suicide black deck I posted in brewhouse, before, with some modifications.

Will probably also bring a Commander or two to play as well once I inevitably drop.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

En Fuego posted:

Who is planning on playing at SCGSea this weekend? SWEET STANDARD ACTION YO.

I'm playing a suicide black deck I posted in brewhouse, before, with some modifications.

Will probably also bring a Commander or two to play as well once I inevitably drop.
Make sure to have a good sideboard to throw Burn/Aggro off their gameplan. Game 1 as a suicide list seems extremely rough against Burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

jassi007 posted:

Do you like janky decks that fold easily? I've got a list for you.

23 Snow-Covered Island
4 Serum Visions
4 Howling Mine
4 Remand
4 Extraplanar Lens
4 Jace Beleren
4 Time Warp
4 Walk the Aeons
4 Temporal Mastery
4 Time Stretch
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

Timewalk and draw your whole deck until you slam Emrakul and win! Do it quickly with extraplanar lens!

Our judge plays a pretty similar variant to this deck streaming that is probably a little sturdier. Has cryptics and some four mana bounce all creatures at instant speed spell. Also Lab Maniac instead of Emrakul as the alternate win con. It's still basically one turn too slow though to to be a fully real deck though.

• Locked thread