Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

El oh el, that is possibly one of the most broken websites I've ever seen. Trying to select your make and model results in a blank page in chrome, and just outright crashes IE.

Also, they don't make side mount stuff for '06+ FZ-1s, only top cases.

Thought that was just my mobile browser sucking. Apparently not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

El oh el, that is possibly one of the most broken websites I've ever seen. Trying to select your make and model results in a blank page in chrome, and just outright crashes IE.

Also, they don't make side mount stuff for '06+ FZ-1s, only top cases.
If you still want to browse, you can use their US store, http://www.shadonline.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=78

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If anyone cares - the Alpinestars tech back protector is 1 1/2" thick at the thickest point and the Forcefield L2k Pro is 3/4" thick... and contours to your body much better.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I finally got to use my Handroids today, and let me tell you, I really should have broken them in using my glove liners. I had no idea that tiny amount of fabric would have made such a huge difference, but it did. I ditched the liners for the ride home, though, and they fit amazing!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

BlackMK4 posted:

If anyone cares - the Alpinestars tech back protector is 1 1/2" thick at the thickest point and the Forcefield L2k Pro is 3/4" thick... and contours to your body much better.

I was kind of wondering about the difference in thickness between Forcefield's stuff and Alpinestars. I need to get a new insert for my jacket (alpinestars) that isn't some lovely foam.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 11, 2014

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Think I updated the firmware without issue, but it wouldn't detect my OG 1st gen iPad and vice versa (only other BT device I had handy). Will try it with a friend's iPhone later!

Update on the SMH10; firmware update seems to have taken (holding down the jog dial for 8 seconds has it go into Universal pairing mode), but it wasn't picking up my GF's iPhone 5s, nor did the iPhone see the SMH10. I turned Bluetooth on on the phone, anything else that might be iPhone specific I'm missing out on?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Marxalot posted:

I was kind of wondering about the difference in thickness between Forcefield's stuff and Alpinestars. I need to get a new insert for my jacket (alpinestars) that isn't some lovely foam.

The stock Alpinestars stuff is like half an inch thick - I have an Alpinestars GP Pro jacket that fit perfectly with the stock back protector but wouldn't let me fit my Tech back protector... well, the Forcefield L2K Pro fits and it goddamn comfortable; the thing literally contours to your body.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I may have taken my signing bonus at my new job and spent a chunk of change on some Dainese gear.

The jacket finally came in(gently caress you out of stock everywhere including the manufacturer, don't hate me because I'm skinny) and god drat worth it.

On the down side I think I've spent as much on gear in the past 5 years as my bike cost. Time to get a new bike :getin:.

e: pic!

apseudonym fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 12, 2014

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Does anyone know if the head shape of the Icon Airmada helmet is the same as the Alliance? The Alliance is the only thing I've found that fits my weird alien head.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Does anyone know if the head shape of the Icon Airmada helmet is the same as the Alliance? The Alliance is the only thing I've found that fits my weird alien head.

From what I remember of trying on Alliances and now owning an Airmada, they're very similar. The only helmet that felt better was the Arai Signet-Q but it's 4x the price.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

apseudonym posted:

On the down side I think I've spent as much on gear in the past 5 years as my bike cost. Time to get a new bike :getin:.

My plan is to have an Aerostich one piece and a top-notch helmet before buying another bike, and those two things would be more than my current bike cost.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I have those pants. They're great, but you'll get hella sweaty during the summer.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Any particular recommendations for backpacks?

My current little raggedy-rear end pack has been falling to pieces for a long time now. And I need something waterproof/durable that can at least hold my boots, trousers, and lunch box; preferably nothing over £50.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Super Slash posted:

Any particular recommendations for backpacks?

My current little raggedy-rear end pack has been falling to pieces for a long time now. And I need something waterproof/durable that can at least hold my boots, trousers, and lunch box; preferably nothing over £50.

Depends if you want a motorcycle one or a general one.

I have a Oxford RT30R and while its 100% waterproof the shoulder straps are thin and buckle at the chest so i wouldn't want to carry any real wieght with it. Apart from that its fine for the sarnies and work shoes. I don't know what the 50l version is like but it does have a waist belt.

The other is a 35l job i got from ebay that won't be waterproof in a monsoon (showers are fine) but it does carry heavy stuff much better.

Most of the time you will pay a premium for a "motorcycle" backpack so it might be worth taking a look at a local outdoors, sports or military surplus shop.

But if you want to get the best then a Kriega is the one you want but make sure you are sitting down when you see the prices

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Update on the SMH10; firmware update seems to have taken (holding down the jog dial for 8 seconds has it go into Universal pairing mode), but it wasn't picking up my GF's iPhone 5s, nor did the iPhone see the SMH10. I turned Bluetooth on on the phone, anything else that might be iPhone specific I'm missing out on?

I have the latest firmware and have synced it to my iPhone 5s with no issues. Close settings (double tap home key and swipe the settings app up) and then reboot the phone (hold the home plus lock key in until the Apple logo pops up) Then try to pair them again.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Crayvex posted:

I have the latest firmware and have synced it to my iPhone 5s with no issues. Close settings (double tap home key and swipe the settings app up) and then reboot the phone (hold the home plus lock key in until the Apple logo pops up) Then try to pair them again.

Will do, thanks!

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

M42 posted:

I have those pants. They're great, but you'll get hella sweaty during the summer.

The jacket feels much better vented than my old textile jacket. I started riding doing year round riding in Utah then driving in Texas summers. I'm not too worried about the heat of Cali.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I have seen the Bell Rogue in person. It is as hideous as I imagined.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I'm dumb

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 14, 2014

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The coolest part about wearing Hi-Viz gear is when you pass another motorcycle wearing it and think "Heh, what a dork...wait..."

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Honestly I'm becoming more and more partial to that pink fuzzy get up that motojournal rider wears.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The coolest part about wearing Hi-Viz gear is when you pass another motorcycle wearing it and think "Heh, what a dork...wait..."

"Heh, look at that dorky motorcyclist 1.5 miles down the road. Oh..."

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Plus all the "WOW I GUESS PEOPLE WON'T BE ABLE TO MISS YOU WILL THEY?!" chit-chat in the elevator going into work.

The stuff works, though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Went halfsies on a Cardo Q3 multiset yesterday. Very happy so far. I tested all the units we had in stock for speaker quality: Cardo; Chatterbox; Uclear. Cardo, by far, had the best speaker quality. Chatterbox and Uclear both had distortion at the higher ranges, while the Cardo had none (from the basic Qz through the premium G9X).

Uclear has the simplest install (since it's boomless) and the most simple controls. Because the micorophones are integrated into the speakers, said speakers are loving huge, bulky, and obtrusive.
The Chatterbox (even the X1 Slim) feels too bulky and has too much going on; too many buttons.
I went with the Q3 because it would be easy to integrate into my helmet (two adhesive mounting types along with the standard clamp). It also comes with the standard boom mic and a wired mic for full face helmets. You can also replace the speakers with any speaker or earbuds you want (3.5mm connection). It also has the smallest speakers.

My helmet isn't very comm system friendly- no spots for speakers, and the neck roll can't be removed, so there's no way to use the standard clamp. Unless I cut into the foam (which is a no) the speakers touch my ears.
I've found the perfect spot for the left speaker but have yet to find the one for the right. If all else fails, I'll just keep the speakers for backup/future helmets and just use earbuds.

The volume is great and I can easily hear my music at highway speeds. The auto-volume is a pretty cool feature. The buttons are easy to use. There are only 4: intercom; music/mobile; volume up; volume down.

If you want, you can also plug a phone or mp3 player into the micro-usb connection for direct-connected music.

Very happy so far. Haven't had a chance to test voice communications, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Plus all the "WOW I GUESS PEOPLE WON'T BE ABLE TO MISS YOU WILL THEY?!" chit-chat in the elevator going into work.

The stuff works, though.

No it doesn't. Hi-viz relies on drivers to look at you and most urban accidents in Britain are down the driver just not bothering to look.

I wear Hi-viz in winter and bad conditions just to make the insurance claim easier.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It's completely anecdotal, but I'll just say that since switching to a hi-viz jacket I haven't had any kind of close call where someone didn't see me, and that's riding every day in a big city. It doesn't make me any less cautious or defensive from my side of things, but it's nice regardless.

Drivers are "looking" but they're just not used to processing things that aren't cars. If you're in their field of vision a hi-viz jacket has the possibility of catching their attention where a more muted jacket wouldn't.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

There's a many-pages-long debate going on on ADVRider about whether or not hi-viz works. I didn't even know it was possible to argue against it until I read through it.

It seems like it mostly boils down to people who don't want to look dorky rationalizing it with fantastical edge cases and unlikely scenarios. Some claim, for example, that the bright color will cause drivers to target fixate and be drawn to you like a moth to a light. Other geniuses say, "Hey, people crash into neon yellow firetrucks sometimes. Clearly, hi-viz just doesn't work."

I get that it's just one of several components of safety conscious riding, and it isn't magic that wards off any possible collision. There are still way more pros than cons to wearing it.

For what it's worth, my response to Foxtrot_13 is like Deuce's. Yes, a driver has to be "looking" to not hit you, but you're way more likely to register in their periphery if you sear part of their retinas with your hi-viz. Wear black, and the guy looking at his phone has no chance of seeing you out of the corner of his eye at all.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 15, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If someone straight up never rotates their head for you to enter their peripheral vision, then, no, hi-viz isn't going to help you, but in that case nothing short of strobe lights and a police klaxon is going to help either.

Hi-viz improves the odds of them noticing you if they do look, though - particularly on overcast / rainy days.

Normally I don't integrate hi-viz into my Marlon Brando cosplay zipping around local roads, but if I'm doing distance then comfort and safety start to override style and I care a lot less about looking like a tennis ball.

E: RE firetrucks, people (especially drunks) steer into bright lights, that's not a hi-viz thing.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

M42 posted:

Agreed. I live in Florida and to help with this I bought a set of Under Armour heat gear compression leggings to go under them, and that made it much more tolerable. It actually prevents the liner from sticking to you, and the heat gear stuff wicks the sweat away from your skin. I'd say its well worth it.

I did have a question, I am looking at getting a new helmet after 2.5 years of having my HJC CL-16 I finally decided it was time to get something new. My biggest beef with my current helmet is that it is super noisy, so I wanted to see what you guys suggested? I was looking at getting an RF-1100 from Shoei, but then I saw that the RF-1200 is out. Is it worth to spend the extra money to go with the 1200? How do those compare to the GT-Air?

Thanks in advance!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
All those helmets fit differently so it would be good to try them on and see what fits best.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
GT Air is quieter than the Qwest, which is quieter than the RF1200, which is quieter than the RF1100.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Boot question... anyone have any experience with or notice any reason I should avoid Fly Maverik ATV boots?

I just spent several hours at the local motorcycle store trying on just about every boot known to man, but nothing I particularly liked fit my freakishly large feet. This one eventually caught my eye near the end, but they didn't have any in my size.

Seems like it'd be nice for dual sport use, and the buckles seemed really easy to operate, plus, you know, it's cheap.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

cixelsyd posted:

My biggest beef with my current helmet is that it is super noisy, so I wanted to see what you guys suggested?

Earplugs. Doesn't matter how noisy your helmet is then and your ears will thank you. I think you'll find helmet noise is highly subjective as people's heads are different shapes and all that, so what one person finds a quiet helmet another may say is really noisy.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Boot question... anyone have any experience with or notice any reason I should avoid Fly Maverik ATV boots?

I just spent several hours at the local motorcycle store trying on just about every boot known to man, but nothing I particularly liked fit my freakishly large feet. This one eventually caught my eye near the end, but they didn't have any in my size.

Seems like it'd be nice for dual sport use, and the buckles seemed really easy to operate, plus, you know, it's cheap.

If you have freak size feet (or body/head), there can be some amazing deals on closeouts.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
If your helmet feels like it's getting displaced on your head in high cross winds does that mean it's too big or too loose?

It fits comfortably, but there are times it feels like the wind is trying to pull if off the top of my head.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Armyman25 posted:

If your helmet feels like it's getting displaced on your head in high cross winds does that mean it's too big or too loose?

It fits comfortably, but there are times it feels like the wind is trying to pull if off the top of my head.

I would say probably yes, I never feel like my helmet is being displaced on my head. When you got it, was it almost too snug around your face (giving you "chipmunk cheeks"), with even pressure all over your head (no hot spots/pressure points)?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah that's one of the signs your helmet doesn't fit right, along with "moves independent of your noggin if shaken by chinbar"

tjones
May 13, 2005
If the padding felt tight to begin with, or a smaller helmet of the same model is uncomfortable to wear, it may be the wrong shape. I agree with the prior posts that if it is moving independently of your head it is too big.

I've got a long and slender shaped head and it makes finding a proper helmet fit frustrating. New helmet padding is almost always too tight until I can wear it in and I usually end up slightly depressing any styrofoam that creates hotspots.

EDIT: Meant to post this as well: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-helmet-guide

tjones fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 16, 2014

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
It's a Shoei helmet in large. I've tried the medium, but that felt way too tight. I will probably have to look into other brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm in between a large and a medium in Shoei, and a medium Arai and a large Bell both fit well. Alternately if you were trying a Shoei RF or Qwest, the GT-Air has a snugger fit.