Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
vent your heat into miniature black holes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

angry_keebler posted:

there is absolutely no hiding in space unless you've got a moon or planet between you and your adversary

anything over ~300 kelvin will be visible for several months within 100 AU if we stop improving telescopes today

any spaceship big enough to deploy useful weapons warmer than 250 kelvin (the lower bound for a crewed spacecraft) will be visible within 50 AU

anything burining so it can reach its target (a missile) will be visible to laser defense with ample time to spare

it's possible that an unmanned weapon could drift slowly toward a target, never accelerating after launch, and maaaybe avoid radar and optical observation, so maybe you could bombard small outposts over the course of several years. this will never work against enemy spacecraft

accelerating loads of asteroids at a planet from far away like in starship troopers is the best cause even if theres advance warning its still gonna be a pain in the rear end to round them all up

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

vent your heat into miniature black holes

they did this w/ stargate but it was another universe instead of a black hole and like hosed up poo poo that totally boned the other universe instead of heat.

and then later in stargate dave nelson from newsradio stole the tech and tried to use it to solve global warming but it hosed up and was gonna destroy the planet, but then bill nye saved the day.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
sounds like thyey should have used a black hole instead

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't think they had the tech to make small black holes but they sure as poo poo knew how to penetrate other universes

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
in that case i'd find a universe in the final stages of heat death and pump my heat in there to save their universe

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm so good at solving problems when there are no technical or practical limitations involved

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
the larger the radiator, the farther away it can be seen even if its average temperature is relatively lower

of course in my earlier numbers i'm assuming modern infrared astronomy is the peak of our advancement and we never have more than one ir telscope and no radar astronomy because i guess radars are illegal in the future thanks cyber obama

presumably by the time we're spending a trillion dollars a pop on laser battleships we'll pop 20 or 30 telscopes up in the sky for a daily refresh of objects that might try to kamikaze our space investments

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

angry_keebler posted:

presumably by the time we're spending a trillion dollars a pop on laser battleships we'll pop 20 or 30 telscopes up in the sky for a daily refresh of objects that might try to kamikaze our space investments

you're remarkably optimistic about the development of the human race

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

angry_keebler posted:

the larger the radiator, the farther away it can be seen even if its average temperature is relatively lower

put a big heat shield up on the front of your spaceship, radiators all hanging out behind it and such

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
vent you're exhaust into yospos where it will go unnoticed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

nah the trillion dollar battleships will be used to kill space muslims

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Shaggar posted:

accelerating loads of asteroids at a planet from far away like in starship troopers is the best cause even if theres advance warning its still gonna be a pain in the rear end to round them all up

not a bad idea if you think the war will last longer than it takes for the asteroids to reach the target or you keep real good records so you can help stop them after a truce is signed

maybe hollow out the cores of your weaons and fill them with a stable explosive that you can signal for self destruct when the war is over

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

in that case i'd find a universe in the final stages of heat death and pump my heat in there to save their universe

uuuuuuhhhhhhh no its heat death because its so hot IDIOT

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

personally i think the last big collapse will happen sometime c.2045 and then that's about all she wrote for progressive technological society

but if we somehow make it through collapse of the global food supply and the subsequent failures of the mega cities and go on to build interplanetary warships they'll obey the laws of physics so they'll be prohibitively expensive and cramped and uncomfortable but also have lots of cool lasers and particle beam weapons

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
there are two ways to win at space wars:

1. be peaceful, and rely on the assumption that everyone else will be peaceful always and forever

2. annihilate enemy civilizations before they get good enough at doing things in space to be a threat

what i'm saying is maybe there's a reason earth gets an extinction level asteroid strike with such regularity

and maybe there's a really good reason that we've been really stubbornly dragging our heels re: any propulsion technology more advanced than puttering around with little dinky chemical rockets :tinfoil:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shaggar posted:

they did this w/ stargate but it was another universe instead of a black hole and like hosed up poo poo that totally boned the other universe instead of heat.

and then later in stargate dave nelson from newsradio stole the tech and tried to use it to solve global warming but it hosed up and was gonna destroy the planet, but then bill nye saved the day.

this is similar to the plot of asimovs the gods themselves where earth and a parallel universe exchange isotopes that are impossible in the other universe due to differences in physical laws and use the nuclear decay as an energy source.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

ol qwerty bastard posted:

and maybe there's a really good reason that we've been really stubbornly dragging our heels re: any propulsion technology more advanced than puttering around with little dinky chemical rockets :tinfoil:

the sort of people that run for senate aren't the sort of people that think we should invest in basic research and think that applied science should be broken into multi state military development boondoggles so they can get votes for bringing in job programs that will last for decades

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

there is absolutely no hiding in space unless you've got a moon or planet between you and your adversary

anything over ~300 kelvin will be visible for several months within 100 AU if we stop improving telescopes today

any spaceship big enough to deploy useful weapons warmer than 250 kelvin (the lower bound for a crewed spacecraft) will be visible within 50 AU

anything burining so it can reach its target (a missile) will be visible to laser defense with ample time to spare

it's possible that an unmanned weapon could drift slowly toward a target, never accelerating after launch, and maaaybe avoid radar and optical observation, so maybe you could bombard small outposts over the course of several years. this will never work against enemy spacecraft

then how did the bugs bomb us smart guy

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
would it be possible to make an engine that runs on senators?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

this is similar to the plot of asimovs the gods themselves where earth and a parallel universe exchange isotopes that are impossible in the other universe due to differences in physical laws and use the nuclear decay as an energy source.

Asimov is really the best

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

rocket efficiency is a function of propellant mass and velocity, so i think some sort of railgun launching elected representatives would work p dece

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
the ending to Words of Radiance was such a let-down even though the rest of it was p enjoyable

hey you know how the book was about 2 people (well three counting that thief girl) struggling to come to terms with their powers etc. well gently caress it let's just give them to half the cast now!

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

its called a hot air balloon

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
drinking scotch and reading Use of Weapons, whaddup

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

drinking scotch and reading Use of Weapons, whaddup

who is she?? How does he know her?

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

sure

call it Senator Propulsion by Magnetic Field Induction

you're looking at a bucket load propellant coilgun so you'd get 100 pulses of thrust, each pulse would be around 1100kN

unfortunately each pulse would be fatal to the payload as each senator would be exposed to 1200G acceleration force. however, each senator would make an effective kinetic weapon, so you would have that going for you. also since the payload won't survive the launch you can make the gun relatively short (~1200m) and there's no real need to keep the engine pressurized and you can power it with a nearly unshielded fission power plant.

the weight of the coils and coolant track would preclude a high TWR, you're probaly in the neighborhood of 260 tons dry mass and 10 tons of senators. each pulse would give you a momentary acceleration ~0.4G, so you'd probably need to ferry up the rest of the congress and most of their aides if you plan on getting anywhere

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

welp; idk how they're going to follow season 1 of True Detective, that last episode was some intense and creepy poo poo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

NoneMoreNegative posted:

welp; idk how they're going to follow season 1 of True Detective, that last episode was some intense and creepy poo poo.

really good series. i don't even whoever has to follow rust and marty

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

only one way to find out. lets just start stuffing a bunch of them into fuel tanks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

the location was fantastic

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

NoneMoreNegative posted:

it's an anthology series so they'll have new characters somewhere else. not sure if it will have the same cast

they ended the series really well, i liked that they left it ambiguous whether there was actual ~2spoopy~ poo poo going on or wether it was just ur typical, mundane crazy hick pedo-murder-rape cult

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
boort cloud

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
yo true detective is absolutely fuckin amazing

does this have some thomas ligotti influence? because it's some anxiety poo poo and really casually nihilistic

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
i'm two episodes into true detective and i'm really not feeling it

plot light character driven stuff isn't all that interesting when the only characters are flat tough guys.

i'll keep going and see if it gets better

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

i'm two episodes into true detective and i'm really not feeling it

plot light character driven stuff isn't all that interesting when the only characters are flat tough guys.

i'll keep going and see if it gets better

they're not all that tough really, and it's cool seeing the tough guys react rather than some faux autistic super detective

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
it may just be that i'm watching it right after the wire, which has a giant diverse cast of fully developed characters, to true detective, which has two

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

it may just be that i'm watching it right after the wire, which has a giant diverse cast of fully developed characters, to true detective, which has two

and they're both huge hosed up pieces of poo poo

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
true detective kinda reminds me of the movie natural born killers, which is why they got woody harrelson I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

put a big heat shield up on the front of your spaceship, radiators all hanging out behind it and such

this is an engineering problem that could in principle be solved and would work to shield a non-accelerating spacecraft from ir detection by a point observer

the problem is you would need a real big real no joke heat shield that would need a lot of coolant and a lot of tailing radiators, something like a 60 km wide plate with 20 km of radiators dangling out the back

as long as you're enemy only has a single observatory you can get pretty close, but if they use radar you'd need a stealth geometry and a material that retains radar absorbtive properties at super low temperatures.

even if such a material even exists they could still just look at the sky with a regular telescope and watch for glint from the heat shield. okay, you paint it black (more work for your radiators) so they watch for unexpected star occlusions and pretty soon have a good enough idea of your cross section and speed that they are probably getting pretty steamed about your evident sneak attack

• Locked thread