Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Milky Moor posted:

But why? Like, I'm pretty sure even before ME3 there was some throwaway line about how the quarians had the most similar evolution to humans of all the species. And the elaborate shawls/hoods/whatever are reminiscent of a substitute for hair.
I don't remember a line like that, but nevertheless, it just didn't look like ME's style to me.

PupsOfWar posted:

The goofiest thing about quarian faces is when characters in-universe act like it's some sort of big mystery (not "what does X quarian look like", but "what do quarians look like"), as if they can't look up what quarians look like on the Space Internet.
They should've gone the opposite route with the humor for this. Have everyone in-universe know exactly what quarians look like and make jokey sufficiently-vague references to it that tease the player.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

PupsOfWar posted:

The goofiest thing about quarian faces is when characters in-universe act like it's some sort of big mystery (not "what does X quarian look like", but "what do quarians look like"), as if they can't look up what quarians look like on the Space Internet.
Extranet :eng101:

Quarians are pretty rare in the galaxy, with few allowed into cosmopolitan areas like the Citadel. It wouldn't be surprising for people in general to rarely encounter more than one in many years. But I think those comments were more meant to represent our own human prejudices regarding minority or middle eastern cultures, and people wondering what veiled women actually look like is an actual thing.

Milky Moor posted:

The quarians were always going to be similar to humans. Casey Hudson has said that Tali was originally going to be a romance option in ME1. Even disregarding that, quarians have always had visible eyes, visible cheekbones and a visible nose behind their visors.
Hah, all the reveal needed then was an enormous square jaw...

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

Hah, all the reveal needed then was an enormous square jaw...
Something like this?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Trapezium Dave posted:

Something like this?

Stubble is also an option :v:

(Are there actually any aliens with body hair?)

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Kegluneq posted:

Stubble is also an option :v:

(Are there actually any aliens with body hair?)

Apparently batarians have facial hair.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

Apparently batarians have facial hair.

So they do - I'd assumed they just had facial ridge things. The more you know.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
You mean those things on the side of their mouth? No way that's hair.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

You mean those things on the side of their mouth? No way that's hair.

Nah, there's a mention of them having fine hair on their faces, not like full beards or anything.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lycus posted:

I don't remember a line like that, but nevertheless, it just didn't look like ME's style to me.

They should've gone the opposite route with the humor for this. Have everyone in-universe know exactly what quarians look like and make jokey sufficiently-vague references to it that tease the player.
Like Maris in Frasier! I assumed that was how it was, until Joker said "what, is it a tentacle monster under there?" And I was like How The gently caress Do You Not Know.

Hey, does he still say that if you romanced Tali? Does Shepard say "no they look like humans" or anything?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Like Maris in Frasier! I assumed that was how it was, until Joker said "what, is it a tentacle monster under there?" And I was like How The gently caress Do You Not Know.

Hey, does he still say that if you romanced Tali? Does Shepard say "no they look like humans" or anything?

Now I really do want to know if Asari tentacles move.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Kegluneq posted:

They do not, I'm pretty sure Liara specifically tells Joker at some point :eng101:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Burning Mustache posted:

They do not, I'm pretty sure Liara specifically tells Joker at some point :eng101:
I told Joker off for asking :colbert:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I want to say that says something completely different? Like how every time Shepard calls Tali "Miss Vas Normandy" he imagines her wearing a tiara and a sash.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Kegluneq posted:

I told Joker off for asking :colbert:

Well then don't get upset for not knowing then!

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

Well then don't get upset for not knowing then!

Kegluneq posted:

:saddowns:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PupsOfWar posted:

seems to me this was pretty clearly a joke about all the ridiculous tali fans.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I always wondered why they don't just have transparent visors.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

JawKnee posted:

seems to me this was pretty clearly a joke about all the ridiculous tali fans.
The series lays on the self-referential jokes with regards to the Asari, even Liara comments on weird fanboys in ME1.

Police Automaton posted:

I always wondered why they don't just have transparent visors.
Probably because that would look even dorkier.

No one cares what the volus really look like.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
They don't move, they're cartilage so while they're semi-flexible they don't wave in the breeze.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Kegluneq posted:

The series lays on the self-referential jokes with regards to the Asari, even Liara comments on weird fanboys in ME1.

I just imagine volus = vole and they're cute and furry.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Kegluneq posted:

I think actually the quarians were designed after the geth, not the other way around. I think bioware didn't think really long about what they actually should look like.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Somebody posted a link earlier in the thread that had early character designs. Quarians were much more grey-like, though their heads were round and more human. Big eyes and no real nose, just nostrils.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

They don't move, they're cartilage so while they're semi-flexible they don't wave in the breeze.
Cheers :downs:

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

I just imagine volus = vole and they're cute and furry.
They remind me more of moles than voles, but I think they definitely have the snout at least.

Police Automaton posted:

I think actually the quarians were designed after the geth, not the other way around. I think bioware didn't think really long about what they actually should look like.
According to wiki the original designs for the quarians and Tali were created before the geth's were, but were refined afterwards to bring the two in line. Obviously the first game has various geth models but only one quarian.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Kegluneq posted:

Cheers :downs:

They remind me more of moles than voles, but I think they definitely have the snout at least.

According to wiki the original designs for the quarians and Tali were created before the geth's were, but were refined afterwards to bring the two in line. Obviously the first game has various geth models but only one quarian.

Why is that a page on regular Wikipedia. Why.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Well at least it doesn't have a "Biochemistry and metabolism" subsection.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Because Wiki editors are the definition of :spergin:

Burning Mustache posted:

Well at least it doesn't have a "Biochemistry and metabolism" subsection.
Doesn't the ingame codex lack this section for the quarians, or is that :thejoke:?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Kegluneq posted:

Because Wiki editors are the definition of :spergin:

Doesn't the ingame codex lack this section for the quarians, or is that :thejoke:?

It's a Tali sweat joke.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zoran posted:

It's a Tali sweat joke.
wait what

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

:getin:

Over in the Bioware Forums was a long a detailed post describing if Quarians could sweat and tried to use chemistry to describe what it would taste and smell like.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Tali obsession got so great on Bioware Social that a forum poster started putting out a theory that Tali's sweat, being dextro-amino, would therefore be sweet like candy. It was pretty :stare:.

Bioware made fun of it in Citadel when she's collapsed on the bathroom floor.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

:rms:

Over in the Bioware Forums was a long a detailed post describing if Quarians could sweat and tried to use chemistry to describe what it would taste and smell like.

:negative:

Edit:
:siren: :negative: :negative: :negative: :siren:

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 10, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
This is more complete:

http://www.somethingawful.com/weekend-web/bioware-social-forums/1/

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

OK. I laughed at "Only if she asked."

Still not a subject that should be talked about.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I like Tali, but yeah, that's too much love(?) for a fictional character.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I laughed at EMERGENCY. INDUCTION. PORT.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Torrannor posted:

There was a lot of funny poo poo in 3. Ashley turned out to be really annoying/useless but I still laugh at FemShep giving her a bunch of poo poo when she's drunk on the floor. "I could order Joker to sing to you over the intercom..."

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Tequila se'lai!

Every scene with a drunken Tali is the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybwnii-ZYB4

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kegluneq posted:

Tequila se'lai!

Every scene with a drunken Tali is the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybwnii-ZYB4
I lost it when she called Garrus a nerd.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

I lost it when she called Garrus a nerd.
And had to have why the number '69' was funny explained to her :allears: But then you could pass around Party quotes forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Kegluneq posted:

That's probably why they got to be more interesting. The 'head' bit of their suits being fake and totally aesthetic to seem more approachable to other species etc

• Locked thread