Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

odiv posted:

So hold on...

Your job is supporting printers in a hospital?

Jesus.

The best of both worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

odiv posted:

So hold on...

Your job is supporting printers in a hospital?

Jesus.

Yep. Just got back from fixing an issue where a little label printer had hijacked the IP of a workcentre 5665. It's like a kitten kicking a lion out of its house.

GreenNight posted:

Affecting patient care? I'd be so loving pissed that I'd be reporting her rear end to a supervisor.

I told all of my coworkers and they had the same reaction. I couldn't stop laughing long enough to think about that.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Oh god, this is the week for blackswordca's meeting with management, isn't it? :ohdear:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Upper management will not upgrade off of XP and will not pay for continued XP support.

I've never seen so many different tableflip emoticons as are in our internal IT IRC room right now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's when you start to blame everything on XP. Mouse stopped working? XP. Bathrooms flooded? XP.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
They've already made it clear that any issues that come up are our fault because of course it's our job to keep the computers running right.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tell them that you aren't Microsoft and you can't write security patches for holes that are not and will never be addressed. Seriously, that's some bullshit.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
A ticket came in. VPN isn't working.

The VPN is working fine, you can ping over it. IPSec doesn't have any intelligence over the network layer. You see the tcpdump where the VPN concentrator has a continuous stream of SYN packets going out the appropriate interface, and the lack of a SYNACK? You don't understand what any of this means? I can't help you, but it's not the VPN's fault.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Tell them that you aren't Microsoft and you can't write security patches for holes that are not and will never be addressed. Seriously, that's some bullshit.

what they will hear is "BLAH BLAH aren't competent BLAH BLAH can't do job BLAH lazy".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Alright, then the next step is to document your time.

1. Spent 5 hours today working on X issue, cost is $500 worth of labor.

At that point, a Windows 7 or 8 upgrade is the cheaper option.

Best case for you is when you get a new version of a software package that doesn't support XP.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I would honestly straight up email most of my vendors and ask them for an email informing me that Windows XP will no longer be supported and instructing me that if we want to continue using their software, we need to upgrade to 7.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I would honestly straight up email most of my vendors and ask them for an email informing me that Windows XP will no longer be supported and instructing me that if we want to continue using their software, we need to upgrade to 7.

This is a good suggestion.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

sfwarlock posted:

what they will hear is "BLAH BLAH aren't competent BLAH BLAH can't do job BLAH lazy".

"You have to keep using this OS with holes in that you cannot write patches for. If anyone exploits those holes it's because you're lazy"

gently caress sake. YOTJ?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

When April rolls around some whitehat needs to start hacking into networks through all the XP holes that are bound to pop up and just start leaving text files on their shares saying "Hi, I was able to gain access to your network via XP security hole x, you need to upgrade". IT departments the world over would thank him.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Knormal posted:

IT departments the world over would thank him.

By that do you mean IT departments the world over would be fired for not fixing this obviously quick and easy security hole?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I can just see getting a swarmy email saying that we already "agreed" to provide support*, pointing out that it's not really a good political move to tell VPs and C- levels no, and bringing up the budget ($0).

(*: People making promises on my behalf is one of my least favorite things, right up there with focus-stealing.)

Knormal posted:

When April rolls around some whitehat needs to start hacking into networks through all the XP holes that are bound to pop up and just start leaving text files on their shares saying "Hi, I was able to gain access to your network via XP security hole x, you need to upgrade". IT departments the world over would thank him.

Meanwhile upper management the world over would call for his arrest. Because he hacked! our network!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

sfwarlock posted:

They've already made it clear that any issues that come up are our fault because of course it's our job to keep the computers running right.

"In an effort to ensure the safety and security of our corporate data, all network and email access to Windows XP machines will be terminated immediately. Please speak with your manager if this impacts your production."

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

"In an effort to ensure the safety and security of our corporate data, all network and email access to Windows XP machines will be terminated immediately. Please speak with your manager if this impacts your production."

The problem is, these are the managers. Not just managers, pretty high up managers.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

A phone ticket came in regarding rings going to voicemail. None of us know that much/anything about our PBX, our PBX support company decided to take today off, and since I'm the only one with some hobby experience with VoIP, I fired up the management software to poke around and saw a familiar face.

:iiam:

I really can't wait until I take down our entire phone system because I only have an inkling of what I'm doing.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A stream of upset users came in. Administration has declared that all printers will be removed from faculty offices next week. While I support this completely, I wish that the IT department had been included on the email so it didn't catch us off guard.

Knormal posted:

A ticket came in, but not to us thankfully. Last weekend the phone system in one of our small and older buildings died somehow, I only got the story second-hand from non-technical people but the tales ranged from "it caught on fire" to "it melted'. Either way something blew, and all last week the entire first floor had a chemical smell. But they won't prop open and doors because of :supaburn: security :supaburn:, so they've had big industrial fans giving the smell a nice circular tour of the first floor.

By the end of the week they had people start making (totally justifiable) medical claims and staying home, meanwhile we're trying to swap out their PCs with Windows 7 ones. This is completely out of our area, but I don't know what they expect to happen if they don't open the doors. I guess the regular ventilation system will vent the smell out eventually, but it's going to take weeks.
If only there was a government agency that was responsible for Occupational Safety and Health ...

You can report this kind of thing anonymously and with a building full of sick people there's no way it will come back to you.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Yeah, don't complain to the mods about this. Just got a ban for trying.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

An Angry Bug posted:

What bullshit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GBS used to be tolerable and entertaining at times, I haven't looked at it for years though. What happened?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm getting real tired of hearing a client is sensitive. I'm pretty sure 80% of the tasks I've been assigned have been to clients I've been told are sensitive. I'm not sure that word has any meaning anymore, someone tells me a client is sensitive and I can't bring myself to care.

I'm also not really caring about things going badly (oh no this change was supposed to be in x by y and it's now y+2, oh no this client is escalating, oh no something something fart), I don't think I can bring myself to care anymore when someone tells me something is getting bad.

Working with a company that sells its services to corporate clients kinda sucks, starting to feel like everyone here is running themselves dry catering to these people.

edit: you know what else? gently caress our QA department, so tired of their poo poo. There is so much procedure and compliance and bullshit you have to get through to finally get to them to move a change forward and then they'll just reject it to their whims. I've had this change rejected like 4 times now, the first two were my fault (one was a bug that I didn't notice, the second was the requirements weren't quite up to the client's expectations [this change is going to preproduction for them to test first though]) and then I got rejected for an issue that the client never noticed and that the QA guy specifically says was not caused by my changes but I must change anyway, and then I get another reject for a compilation warning (a function that can only ever return a boolean does not have a type signature).

This change was supposed to be in preproduction two weeks ago and it's for a "sensitive client". Meanwhile they never noticed the major production issues some of my changes in the past have made. It's like a coin toss on whether they'll actually test your changes or not.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 11, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Caged posted:

GBS used to be tolerable and entertaining at times, I haven't looked at it for years though. What happened?
I guess mods thought moderating gbs was too hard, so they just removed all the rules and let the inmates run the asylum.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

An Angry Bug posted:

Why on earth did you rereg.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
We kidnapped, reimaged and redeployed 43 machines to Win7 over the weekend, and I spent all day today helping the deployment contractors get the machines to the right desks, get user passwords reset and people logged in, then organized getting the software installed that wasn't on the base image and making sure that last weeks fuckup with the HP UPD that hosed up adding network printers didn't crop up this time. So I was out of my office and away from my email for most of the afternoon making sure people could work. Sat down at 2pm to finally eat lunch and see that I have 3 emails in increasing urgency from the procurement department manager's assistant to stop by the manager's office because she needs to have her Jabber client installed and tested so she can videoconference with HQ, ending with a "are you going to come by or should I just put in a ticket for this?"

First off, yes, you should have put a ticket in for it to begin with. I have an open door policy that if I'm in my office, you can come by and ask for help and if I'm not busy, I will make the ticket for you and then come over. Hell, sometimes people just bring their ticket number from the email team over for me to pull to my queue, since it sometimes takes them 2-3 hours to get to stuff in their inbox. If I'm not in the office, you can call the helpdesk or put in a ticket with the email team and they can help you or forward it over to my queue. But don't repeatedly email me when you're not getting a response.

Note: Yes, I know that I am ruining my users by not making them call the helpdesk or bug the email team. But frankly, you can end up on the phone with the helpdesk for over an hour and get nothing but a ticket number to show for it, and the email team is so busy that they almost never do remote resolution and are just in what they call "catch and release" all day. It is so boring on a daily basis that I don't have a problem with letting people walk in,

Second off, your bosses next videoconference is next week. I understand that we did all of your minions workstations last week, so they're all working, but there's 60 other users in the building that aren't in your department. We took 75% of their computers at noon on Friday last week, so not only did they miss 50% of today, but they have a backlog of work from last week to finish too. It is more important for us to get them up and running than it is for me to get you working. The other department's director understood that and forbid me and my contractors from touching her workstation before we got all of her people up and running.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
EDIT: Actually never mind.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 11, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Caged posted:

GBS got really really bad towards the end. Threads could barely make it through the first page without devolving into people trying to out SJW each other. A Jimmy Carr level offensive joke would generate outrage. I think most everyone agreed something had to change, but I'm not sure anyone knew how exactly to change it for the better. Apparently trying to recreate early 2000s era GBS is the current solution being attempted. I'm not really convinced that GBS has been fixed but it's certainly different and nothing was really lost in the process.

CommanderApaul posted:

Second off, your bosses next videoconference is next week.

I got far too many tickets from people wanting me to make sure a conference room was going to be all perfect for them during some future conference. I had to check over conference rooms anyway so it was a free ticket closure but some of these people wanted like up to the minute reports on the status of the conference room :psyduck: It's a loving conference room. It's working fine right now, it will be working fine when you go to use it, and it will stop working as soon as you start loving with input settings. Please leave me alone so I can fix something important.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Customer needs his desk raised up for whatever reason. Yes, go ahead and keep sending us change tasks every couple weeks asking if the cables are long enough. I'm sure he doesn't need it raised up any time soon.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Galler posted:

I got far too many tickets from people wanting me to make sure a conference room was going to be all perfect for them during some future conference. I had to check over conference rooms anyway so it was a free ticket closure but some of these people wanted like up to the minute reports on the status of the conference room :psyduck: It's a loving conference room. It's working fine right now, it will be working fine when you go to use it, and it will stop working as soon as you start loving with input settings. Please leave me alone so I can fix something important.

I love our conference rooms. They're supported by a different contract (yay government contracting!), and the guy who supports them is my officemate and is only onsite T-W-Th. Have a conference on Monday or Friday? Sorry, I'm not touching that equipment, the last guy who did that managed to break a $2000 projector and got fired.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

CommanderApaul posted:

Second off, your bosses next videoconference is next week.

I think my favorite call (not) when I worked helldesk was an admin wanting to schedule a Urgent severity case for 3 days out. Their logic was that a conference call had to work, but it wasn't happening until 3 days later, and wasn't technically broken, but if it was, they would need an urgent ticket. Or something. I let desktop support deal with it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

GreenNight posted:

Affecting patient care? I'd be so loving pissed that I'd be reporting her rear end to a supervisor.

Speaking of healthcare IT, a high priority ticket came in...

For speakers not working. They didn't even say it was affecting patient care, they just wanted a high priority ticket and phone support gave it to them. I can only imagine the bullying it took.

Turns out it was for learning modules, but ones that aren't even due this month. Give me a break lady.

Whatever, work is work. If this were an off hours thing, I would be much less patient.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
One of the C-levels had a conference room malfunction when he wanted to use it, and ordered a complete check of every room we have. Hello license to print OT money :getin:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

One of the C-levels had a conference room malfunction when he wanted to use it, and ordered a complete check of every room we have. Hello license to print OT money :getin:

Down here we won't get paid for OT. Ever!

We do however get PTO for it. Right now my coworker has 500 hours stashed, I'm sitting at 100 hours, and HR is going bonkers because accumulated PTO is counted as a debt in finance (and rightfully so). Coworker made a deal to only work four-day weeks until his hours are gone, but I'm just going to sit on mine. We have a mutual 3-month-notice clause in our contracts, and I like to be able to quit on shorter notice if I want to.

(Not actually quit before time, but give my notice, and take the last two months off while starting at a new job. Sweet double salary if I wanted to quit.)

Edit: Diddling the calculator shows that he'll be taking three day weekends for at least two years when you account for vacations, planned projects, and business trips, and that's if he can manage to avoid further OT.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 11, 2014

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Crowley posted:

We do however get PTO for it. Right now my coworker has 500 hours stashed, I'm sitting at 100 hours, and HR is going bonkers because accumulated PTO is counted as a debt in finance (and rightfully so). Coworker made a deal to only work four-day weeks until his hours are gone, but I'm just going to sit on mine. We have a mutual 3-month-notice clause in our contracts, and I like to be able to quit on shorter notice if I want to.

(Not actually quit before time, but give my notice, and take the last two months off while starting at a new job. Sweet double salary if I wanted to quit.)

Edit: Diddling the calculator shows that he'll be taking three day weekends for at least two years when you account for vacations, planned projects, and business trips, and that's if he can manage to avoid further OT.

We have several different models at my workplace, I'm straight salary+OT at 150%, 200% after 4 hrs or on weekends/national holidays, which means if I work a second over my 37,5 hrs a week, I start charging. If I work any LESS, I get my salary at least. I can also chose to take my OT as comp time+the 50 or 100% OT pay, but I haven't needed that yet, as I love the $$$ too much. This model suits me fine due to the ad-hoc nature of daily helpdesk work, and since I'm not involved in any long-term projects with due dates.

Other positions here have 200 hrs of OT included in their yearly contract and they don't start getting paid extra until those hours are up, and there are probably several other models mixing OT, no OT and comp time/OT pay.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

piratepilates posted:

I'm getting real tired of hearing a client is sensitive. I'm pretty sure 80% of the tasks I've been assigned have been to clients I've been told are sensitive. I'm not sure that word has any meaning anymore, someone tells me a client is sensitive and I can't bring myself to care.

That reminds me of a story from 2007. We had just gotten a new client, an international chamber of commerce (which was already a nice catch as a reference for our small MSP) who for some reason wanted to pay us $6000 per month for IT support for their 10 people!
Management clearly noticed that the price was beyond the pale and the client was marked as super-important, handle-first-always etc.
Like half a year later the CEOs lovely Vaio's hard disk broke, and the warranty was one of those where you had to send the laptop by mail to Kathmandu and maybe got it back weeks later. So I had the idea to spot the guy a free courtesy hard disk, paid out of our pockets bought from the computer store next door but you can probably guess what management thought about that.

We actually made the CEO work with a crappy hand-me-down for more than a month until Sony fixed his laptop instead of paying $150 out of our $36000 profit, so that's what sensitive customers get from IT services when profit is on the line.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Crowley posted:

I had a sixty hour week mandatory while working in Iraq, after that minimum two hours of overtime even for a five minute thing. The mil and my company settled on that and it was so. The first six months I was over there I was on a hole in the wall base with fairly minimal staffing. The other sys admin disappeared for a handful of months leaving only me. In my first couple months I racked up over sixty hours of OT which was unheard of by the management. One day, I even got called out three times on my day off.

New-ShitPost
Jul 25, 2011

A KACE appliance backdoor came in!

quote:

So at the end of the the day the count looks like this:
Directory Traversals: 2
Backdoors: 2
Privilege Escalation: 1
That all adds up to owned last time I checked.

Example PoC can be found at the following location:
https://github.com/steponequit/kaced/blob/master/kaced.py

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

That looks fun; glad I'm not working in KACE.

Content:
In with the pattern for calling IT for everything, I have had received calls with questions that are clearly sales related, such as a status of an order. I even had one guy actually call sales, but then go routed to tech support by that sales rep for us to help him. :psyduck:

• Locked thread