Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Clarkson tweeted that this weeks was just "ok" but next week is going to be "something special". As if I couldn't be any more excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I really enjoyed that episode, loved the condition the trucks are in, and the modifications to the trucks which weren't completely stupid unlike some of the other challenges.

I think a good challenge for the TG boys would be going from east to west through the dead centre of Australia. It was first done by a group of BMC (British Motor Corporation) rally drivers in the mid 1960s in a Mini 850 and an Austin 1800. Gavin Green, son of Evan Green (who was one of the members of the original crossing) and former editor of CAR UK did a drive in 2009 following his dad's wheel tracks:

http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/cars/wheels/news/2009/10/in-the-name-of-the-farther/

I reckon the TG boys in either 1960s cars or modern non-SUV cars could give it a go ;)

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Okay, Clarkson's bedroom looked really comfortable.

Also, the dude in the first hotel they visit with the horrible bleeding gums and tobacco stained teeth.. :gonk: So glad I quit smoking last year.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm wishing they'd do a Canadian special, would be fun to watch them bombing through the Canadian Rockies in either something nice or ratty rusted cars they bought online. A drive from coast to coast would be awesome, you could show off all of it, the mountains in BC and Alberta, the flatness of the prairies, Clarkson could get "murdered" in Winnipeg, the murder capitol of Canada, the rolling hills and many lakes of Ontario and then the funky accents of the east coast.

Summer or the dead of winter would work, probably would be really entertaining if it was a cheap car challenge special vs nice cars, but I'm not too picky.

Last episode was really enjoyable I'd say. Looking forward to the next part

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Falken posted:

Okay, Clarkson's bedroom looked really comfortable.

Also, the dude in the first hotel they visit with the horrible bleeding gums and tobacco stained teeth.. :gonk: So glad I quit smoking last year.

Probably not tobacco.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paan

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Bajaha posted:

I'm wishing they'd do a Canadian special, would be fun to watch them bombing through the Canadian Rockies in either something nice or ratty rusted cars they bought online. A drive from coast to coast would be awesome, you could show off all of it, the mountains in BC and Alberta, the flatness of the prairies, Clarkson could get "murdered" in Winnipeg, the murder capitol of Canada, the rolling hills and many lakes of Ontario and then the funky accents of the east coast.

Summer or the dead of winter would work, probably would be really entertaining if it was a cheap car challenge special vs nice cars, but I'm not too picky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear:_Polar_Special

a coast to coast drive would be awesome, but it's like 6000Km so not too practical and the guys would kill themselves in the winter. Maybe a US/Canada "gold rush" race? San Fransisco, California up to Dawson, Yukon would be epic

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Well that's loving gross.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Top gear running the Dempster or Alcan in horribly unsuitable vehicles would be entertaining.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

neckbeard posted:

a coast to coast drive would be awesome, but it's like 6000Km so not too practical and the guys would kill themselves in the winter. Maybe a US/Canada "gold rush" race? San Fransisco, California up to Dawson, Yukon would be epic

If they can get the CA government to shut down CA-1 so they can run supercars up it at 90mph, yes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scroogle nmaps posted:

If they can get the CA government to shut down CA-1 so they can run supercars up it at 90mph, yes.
I'm not getting the joke here, can you eloborate?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

McTinkerson posted:

Top gear running the Dempster or Alcan in horribly unsuitable vehicles would be entertaining.

I did the Dempster in a Ram 3500, and when it was raining, that felt like a horribly unsuitable vehicle at times.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
It's an amazingly beautiful, curvy road, but I really doubt they can secure permission to go over the limit (usually 55mph), if they can get permission to go up it all.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
"I've bought a stalled horse!"
"It's gone backwards. I've bought a reversing horse."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Why do they have five legs in Burma?"

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
As an American I lost it on the horse dong.

OptimusMatrix fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 12, 2014

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

As an American I think everyone did.

I also laughed way to hard at James' sleeping solution, that was a fantastically hilarious idea.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

If that was merely "okay" in Clarkson's words, I can't wait to see next week.

My favourite line was Hammond's response to Jeremy buying "heroin"..."what, are you going to cut it with peas?"

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Bajaha posted:

They asked what were the best roads in Canada recently on Facebook. Cabot trail would be awesome. They tried to get a TT there, but couldn't get the approval.

Wonker
Apr 30, 2005

MrChips posted:

If that was merely "okay" in Clarkson's words, I can't wait to see next week.

My favourite line was Hammond's response to Jeremy buying "heroin"..."what, are you going to cut it with peas?"

My favourite was James's reaction to that comment - didn't even feel scripted!

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
The record for driving the entire pan american highway is 24 days, I'd like to see them try to beat that. (in cars they bought sight unseen from the internet). If you want a good read about the record attempt, Tim Cahill's book "Road Fever" is great.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Wonker posted:

My favourite was James's reaction to that comment - didn't even feel scripted!

I think a lot of it isn't as scripted as people make it out to be on here. I'd imagine they script the major points, but they let the guys play off each other a lot as well. I don't think every word that comes out of their mouths is part of an iron-clad script.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My favorite "obviously unscripted" moment (aside from the Porsche pipes, which is sort of in a class by itself) was the one where they got the military demolition machines and Jeremy was showing off his ex-UN mine-clearer. When he said "Princess Diana had one", the cameraman lost his poo poo and they all just fell about, and they kept the shot (as well they should have). It was magical.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Ariza posted:

I think a lot of it isn't as scripted as people make it out to be on here. I'd imagine they script the major points, but they let the guys play off each other a lot as well. I don't think every word that comes out of their mouths is part of an iron-clad script.

Agreed. Keep in mind they are showing us snippets over the course of DAYS.

You know there are hours of material that they are throwing out, for all the little talking and joking segments between the challenges that they show.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Kenshin posted:

Agreed. Keep in mind they are showing us snippets over the course of DAYS.

You know there are hours of material that they are throwing out, for all the little talking and joking segments between the challenges that they show.

The little things you can see but they never end up mentioning always interest me. James has what looks like a printer/ipod dock combo or something in his cab but I bet it won't get a mention.

Episode 1 was great. I really love the TG travelogues when they get the balance right (ie not India). I was trying hard not to laugh because it's late and now my face hurts.

twoot fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 13, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Negromancer posted:

Apparently Top Gear US is filming in Gainesville Florida tomorrow. I am down here for a wedding and saw a bunch of no parking signs downtown for it. Not really a fan of the US one, but it might be interesting to stop by and see what they are doing.

Used to live in Gainesville and have quite a few friends that live out that way. Didn't know this until too late. drat.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I just realised we had a whole page of discussion on the Burma Special and not one, NOT EVEN ONE mention of Hammond's jorts.

What the gently caress AI?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

MrChips posted:

I just realised we had a whole page of discussion on the Burma Special and not one, NOT EVEN ONE mention of Hammond's jorts.

What the gently caress AI?

The whole "shorts and a shirt with egg on it" bit made me giggle.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I really hope a CB radio singalong of "I Like Trucking" turns up at some point.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InitialDave posted:

I really hope a CB radio singalong of "I Like Trucking" turns up at some point.

"We got a great big convoy, rockin' through the night..."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Maybe where you drive. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R5tUc1S3cc

Pahonix
May 29, 2004

Hooked on pahonix workid for meh!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Exactly what I was thinking. There was even a CW McCall callout, but no song.

Ahhhh, breaker one-nine...

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Wow that was pretty epic. I totally lost it when Bridge over the River Cock happened.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That was the best special they've done so far.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah easily one of my favorite specials. Loved the party with the locals, and all the trucks breaking down.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah easily one of my favorite specials. Loved the party with the locals, and all the trucks breaking down.

And may losing his poo poo over the breakdowns. It's awesome when the real james comes out.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
The cross eyed guy I nearly shat myself

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

What a great special. Might even be my favourite.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Hammond sure did take his black cock like a man.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

twoot posted:

The little things you can see but they never end up mentioning always interest me. James has what looks like a printer/ipod dock combo or something in his cab but I bet it won't get a mention.

If you're talking about the thing mounted to his rear window, that's the air conditioner he had mounted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021