Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

An Angry Bug posted:

Here ya go.

Make sure to skim all the way through. There are a lot of hidden features on him.

Someone in this thread mentioned that you can stuff his collarbone spars into his torso in robot mode. I totally didn't believe this until I read that thread this morning and they mention it too. You just gotta believe! And it works really well.

Also, the little black block of plastic that his main rotor is on can rotate to bridge to the engine cover panel on the other side of his back, putting the folded rotor right on his centerline.

His right leg and arm tab badly for me in helo mode, making an already gappy altmode a little worse, but otherwise he's grown on me.

strangehamster posted:

If you collect Transformers and try to drink a bottle of this stuff you're doing yourself a disservice.

So it's a floor wax, not a dessert topping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Speaking of Whirl my HTS order shipped today! When I ordered, it said it wouldn't be until the 16th or something.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I ordered the Takara Waspinator so I'm pretty pumped about that!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Rhyno posted:

Can you link it so I'm ready when mine arrives?

Phy posted:

Someone in this thread mentioned that you can stuff his collarbone spars into his torso in robot mode. I totally didn't believe this until I read that thread this morning and they mention it too. You just gotta believe! And it works really well.

Also, the little black block of plastic that his main rotor is on can rotate to bridge to the engine cover panel on the other side of his back, putting the folded rotor right on his centerline.

His right leg and arm tab badly for me in helo mode, making an already gappy altmode a little worse, but otherwise he's grown on me.

4. It's a good idea to put the big Autobot symbol on the INSIDE of the cockpit for a more subtle, flat look.

5. If you want a pilot, a Zoids pilot works perfectly. I tested this myself-- finally, that lot of junk Zoids I got off ebay for $10 pays off!

6. Paint the tops of his shoulders black.

7. Apparently you can lock his rotors in place on robot mode, but no one has provided a decent guide and I am convinced they are wizards.

8. His head can pull upwards on a neck joint to give him a more IDW-ish look.

9. There's a metal pin through one of weapons, creating the illusion of a hinge. No one knows why. The best theory I've heard is that it's something that'll be used in the remold.

10. The plastic quality is so much better. We're talking 2006-2008 era here. And thank god, because with those spindly little joints he'd probably tear himself apart otherwise.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Friendly reminder that future is basically acrylic gloss clear paint. It has just one difference / advantage to other paints: the bottle is big and cheap.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Why cookie Rocket posted:

5. If you want a pilot...
Blasphemy! Shun him!

Anyway, did you ever worry that Cyclonus didn't look enough like a bunny? Fear not, Botcon has you covered.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Knormal posted:

Blasphemy! Shun him!

Anyway, did you ever worry that Cyclonus didn't look enough like a bunny? Fear not, Botcon has you covered.

The gently caress is this poo poo?

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Ferak, from Squadron X.

Going by the pic on TFwiki, it's actually a pretty good mold choice. Yet somehow...awful.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
That's quite a box set full of apathy they're putting together there.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Knormal posted:

Blasphemy! Shun him!

Mmm gonna yellow so good in 20 years

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
How is TFCon with their exclusives? Any clue as to what we'll be clamouring for come October?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

How is TFCon with their exclusives? Any clue as to what we'll be clamouring for come October?

They usually come in $500 boxes of various neon colored repaints. I can't remember the last time I clamored for any of them.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think I'm gonna be the odd man out here and say that Ferak actually doesn't look bad. Maybe the club has finally learned to just take the molds they have and put them in neat color schemes rather than trying to force them to be a certain character or fit into a certain theme (haha, who am I kidding, yeah right.)

The_Doctor posted:

TFCon's exclusives aren't usually that great either, but you don't come for the exclusives. Last year they had gobots repaints of the crappy iGear Brawn and Cosmos, and before that they had repaints of various headmaster add-ons.

These guys here are the coolest TFCon exclusives and the only ones I have:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Keldroc posted:

That's quite a box set full of apathy they're putting together there.

I kinda like their Cannonball. :shobon:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I kinda like their Cannonball. :shobon:

That's just the problem, though, isn't it? You should never "kinda like" a Cannonball. Cannonball should be "HOLY poo poo LOOK AT THAT MOTHERFUCKING PIRATE ROBOT I NEED THAT" the instant you see him. Cannonball should steal your heart so that you don't even notice when he plunders your wallet.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The Cannonball is well done but I already have the one from Cybertron and that's good enough for me. Sure, the Botcon one has better articulation but the one from Cybertron has some cool accessories, looks about the same and is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Really, the thing is with BotCon exclusives is there's a lot of them that I would gladly buy for like, $20. If I saw Cannonball or Ferak in Target? Yeah I'd consider picking them up. Instead they want me to buy a whole set for like $500. No thanks. There aren't very many repaints of retail toys that I want so bad that I'll pay big money for them.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

They used to be pretty cool ideas, though. Cybertronian mode Beast Wars guys? Yeah, I can get behind that. Seeker repaints that will never (lol) be available in stores? Sold! Even the TFA Stunticons, while not something I was personally interested in, are a cool example of giving fans major characters in a line they'd never otherwise get them in. But this fanfiction wankery with Shattered Glass and Pirates vs. Knights or whatever just doesn't seem like it would appeal to much of an audience beyond the people writing said fanfiction wankery. Something more universally appealing had to have been possible for the 30th anniversary year.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The problem is that they are homaging characters no one gives a poo poo about. Which are the most coveted sets? What do they all have in common? Beloved (even if niche sometimes) characters homaged with good molds and (if you're lucky) a new head. I can't even imagine their set discussion meetings the last few years, it must be just a race to the "obscurer-than-thou" bottom, with a dollop of their own fanfic on top for good measure.

Keldroc posted:

Something more universally appealing had to have been possible for the 30th anniversary year.

"Diaclone repaints" is an idea that gets trotted out every year, and every year I hate the idea because I would not enjoy them. However, I can of course recognize the difference between something I don't want to own, and a lovely idea. A Diaclone set for the anniversary year would've been immeasurably better than this terrible theme.

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 11, 2014

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
I don't see what

The problem is that they are homaging characters no one gives a poo poo about. Which are the most coveted sets? What do they all have in common? Beloved (even if niche sometimes) characters homaged with good molds and (if you're lucky) a new head.

The problem is 3rd party companies. For the same price, would you rather have a figure that loosely resembles [beloved character] or a mold that was specifically designed to be [beloved character]?

I don't really care for a Diaclone set, but it makes sense at least.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Third party companies are not a problem!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

therealjon_ posted:

The whole "pirates versus knights" theme is a transparently passive-aggressive "eat poo poo" towards third-party companies. "Pirates"? Yeah. Not even joking, the @Botcon account tweeted something to that effect a while back.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

therealjon_ posted:

I think he meant "problem for FunPub". I don't think any of those silly anti-3P people post here.

I think Catch22 has a point, but surely there's a middle group for Botcon sets to occupy. I don't think it would be financially viable for a 3P company to put out all new molds to represent a pre-earth Beast Wars crew, so the 2006 set fills that fun little gap. Ditto stuff like Classics Leozack, Octopunch, Double Punch, etc.

I would genuinely like to be in their shoes, to see exactly what molds they have access to, what characters they are barred from using, understand their "new part" budget, and see if any of my ideas would work (or should be left to 3rd parties).

If I had my druthers it would be as easy as "Masterforce" one year and "Victory" the next. Both have robust enough rosters that you can find some matches with current molds, and work with the characters that aren't in Hasbro's queues (and I doubt Hasbro is using any of them anyway).

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
"I wanted to be a medic."
"Really? I wanted to be a genocidal despot. Funny how things turn out, isn't it?"

Now, Ratchet, that's not really what you'd call a good bedside manner now, is it? Tsk.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

therealjon_ posted:

More like 3rd party opportunities! Sell a box set of five toys that are not quite similar enough to sue!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Re: this week's MTMTE:

* Swerve's mini-breakdown at Blurr coming in - bless
* "Four million years, countless dead and how does it all end up?" Beautiful, that scene with Blitzwing and the Dinos playing/gambling in the bar, THAT'S what I'm talking about, Hasbro. Let's just be Super Space Buddies now, yeah?
* Megatron's totes going to give it a proper stab, isn't he? No doubt only for circumstances/understandably hostile attitudes in the long run preventing it from sticking long term but it'll be fun to watch.
* Magnus owns, Chromedome owns, Prowl's new cheerleading squad owns
* If Shockwave doesn't get killed, I'm half thinking he's going to become Unicron somehow
* Cybertrons wage their battle to destroy the evil forces of...the Ammonites?

So stoked for Season 2.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sentinel Red posted:

Re: this week's MTMTE:

* Megatron's totes going to give it a proper stab, isn't he? No doubt only for circumstances/understandably hostile attitudes in the long run preventing it from sticking long term but it'll be fun to watch.

I'm sure Hasbro Status-Quo will force a reversion on that eventually, but I'm right with you on really wanting to see it play out. I so hope the leader toy comes with Autobot stickers. But geez, you'd think someone who's lived for millions of years while thinking at human time scales could have come to that conclusion a little sooner.

As for Shockwave, oh look it's villain plot #12: become God. More ambitious than "Conquer own race" or "conquer galaxy" that most Decepticon leaders go in for, but still, not mega original.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

poo poo, the MBC002 Military Titans (Bruticus upgrade) DOES include the extra parts for the Platinum set. I guess I'm preordering that now.

Oh and apparently the Maketoys Computron WILL come in a giftset... giftsets are my weakness!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Phy posted:

I'm sure Hasbro Status-Quo will force a reversion on that eventually, but I'm right with you on really wanting to see it play out. I so hope the leader toy comes with Autobot stickers. But geez, you'd think someone who's lived for millions of years while thinking at human time scales could have come to that conclusion a little sooner.
Well, he did have day to day issues consuming him. As opposed to recently, where the last couple years are "be in a state of disrepair" or "saving the planet"

And yeah this is a really fantastic issue when it isn't dealing with the awful retconned in crossover plot. That bit about the ores is such a hamfisted and anime sounding bit of schlock it is painful to read.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
This is the coolest Cykill has ever looked

catch22 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 12, 2014

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not a bad choice on the alt-mode - Harley V-Rod - though a little old these days.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Knormal posted:

Blasphemy! Shun him!

The red face looks stupid and could almost be mistaken for a shattered glass dude because the colors resemble Jetfire.

Thankfully we're already getting a real jetfire.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

The red face looks stupid and could almost be mistaken for a shattered glass dude because the colors resemble Jetfire.

Thankfully we're already getting a real jetfire.

In recent years they've tried to have their toys do double-homage duty. I'm sure they think this is also SG Cyclonus in Strafe colors or somesuch stupid thing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

In recent years they've tried to have their toys do double-homage duty. I'm sure they think this is also SG Cyclonus in Strafe colors or somesuch stupid thing.

Strafe would need some bright orange thrown in there.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

Strafe would need some bright orange thrown in there.

Yeah I was kinda half-guessing sorry I'm not up on my Aerialbots. :)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Yeah I was kinda half-guessing sorry I'm not up on my Aerialbots. :)

Strafe was a technobot. :colbert:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also I guess they did a SG Cyclonus already, in Rodimus colours?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

So these fellas showed up today from SirToys. They have them for around 40 American dollars each, half of what BBTS wants for their newly discovered reserves they emailed about recently.

Not-Bombshell's shoulders/shoulder pads are pretty loose, and if they were his hips I doubt he could stand on his own. They're not in any danger of falling off, they're just floppy. Maybe I should try some of that paint mentioned a few pages back.

On the other hand, Not-Shrapnel's hips are pretty tight, though not disturbingly so. His mandible vambrace thingies had a little extra plastic I had to shave off to get the claws to fit in there but I didn't have that much trouble.

Not-Kickback's kunai are SHARP.

Also included was a red and blue big hipped truck man with laser ankles. Like Gears' twin brother with cerebral palsy. And laser ankles. So there's that!

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So these fellas showed up today from SirToys. They have them for around 40 American dollars each, half of what BBTS wants for their newly discovered reserves they emailed about recently.

Not-Bombshell's shoulders/shoulder pads are pretty loose, and if they were his hips I doubt he could stand on his own. They're not in any danger of falling off, they're just floppy. Maybe I should try some of that paint mentioned a few pages back.

On the other hand, Not-Shrapnel's hips are pretty tight, though not disturbingly so. His mandible vambrace thingies had a little extra plastic I had to shave off to get the claws to fit in there but I didn't have that much trouble.

Also included was a red and blue big hipped truck man with laser ankles. Like Gears' twin brother with cerebral palsy. And laser ankles. So there's that!

Forget the 3rd shift not-insecticons, I want that G2 minicon!
oh here http://www.sirtoys.com/toys.php?c=1&p=5&t=Micromaster___Random.html

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 12, 2014

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's just a Leader-1 repaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

They were my first third party guys. You done good. :allears:

And yes, Kickback's kunai will literally draw blood. They're pointier than an X-Acto knife. :psyduck:

Did one of your guys come with an extra windmill shuriken thing? For me, either Kickback or Bombshell came with a whole extra weapon setup for Shrapnel.
Oh, also, are you sure they aren't KOs?