Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's good to have this show back. Wubba Lubba Dub Dubbs!

I enjoyed the episode, but wasn't a huge fan of the Woman ruling the world plot. I didn't hate it or anything. I actually liked it, but I wanted to love it. Oh well. Rick made up for any issues I had.

The Morty plot was perfectly weird and hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

That was awesome.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Solid episode if only because they changed up the dynamic. Morty failing as a dad was hilarious.

And one line that loving killed me "If this top is cute you must not execute"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Solid episode if only because they changed up the dynamic. Morty failing as a dad was hilarious.

And one line that loving killed me "If this top is cute you must not execute"
Is that really a rhyme? Cute is fully contained within execute, it's almost like rhyming a word with itself.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

JT Jag posted:

Is that really a rhyme? Cute is fully contained within execute, it's almost like rhyming a word with itself.

That's part of why I loved it. It's such a terrible attempt at copying Jonny Cochran.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
The tongue-in-cheek feminism fell flat for me. Not offensive, just not funny.

Did have some awesome moments, but on the whole I think it's the weakest episode yet. (Still better than a lot of stuff on TV, though!)

Also, this show is surprisingly rapey.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Been waiting almost a year for this,

Thats me, the 3rd Color Key artist

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This episode was a bit flat to me. I liked it, and I haven't seen an episode of Rick and Morty that I haven't liked, but it doesn't hold up to the other episodes. I think I find the Amazon trope pretty played out. It seems to tread a lot of the same ground as that Futurama episode Amazon Women In The Mood. The jokes aren't exactly the same but it felt like this episode was doing something that lots of other cartoons have done, which is disappointing.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Typical posted:

Frick that's awesome dude. Congrats!

"You may return to your Earth where men and woman are sort of equal but not really"
was a fantastic line. And I enjoyed the alien rebelling out to 80s pop ballad rock too!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Probably because Gazorpazorp was basically the B plot, it was interesting to see Summer (really just anyone but Morty) and Rick on an adventure. Probably why you were hoping for more.

Come to think of it though they were both kinda B plots since Morty Jr. grows up so quick and the climax didn't get that crazy considering this is following the Cronenbergs or even the Meseeks

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, this episode felt really samey and didn't feel like it did anything new. I kept flashing back to the Futurama episode about Amazons.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I enjoyed the sex bot part because of how crazy they took that and then it went into Zardoz world. And truth is if you're doing a Zardoz riff you kinda have to match or top it, which is kinda hard to do

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Rick's nonchalance at being faced with certain death several times now makes me think he has some kind of back-up in place in case he dies. Like a clone body somewhere, or hell maybe he is a clone being controlled by the "real" Rick from another dimension or something.

On the other hand he did sort of die in the Cronenberg episode and that version of Rick definitely didn't have a back-up. Could he be so nihilistic that he doesn't even give a poo poo about dying?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Anony Mouse posted:

Could he be so nihilistic that he doesn't even give a poo poo about dying?

Or so drunk.

This episode started strong but went downhill pretty quick. Not that I regret watching it, just that they set the bar so goddamn high in the last two.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Rick seems like the kind of person who has seen way too much to really care about their own mortality. He's a massive alcoholic and has little regard for safety. I imagine the dude just doesn't care if or when he dies.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Holy loving poo poo. :catstare:

This show is loving nuts.

Although...the female only plot gags felt very Futurama.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 11, 2014

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

hemophilia posted:

Rick seems like the kind of person who has seen way too much to really care about their own mortality. He's a massive alcoholic and has little regard for safety. I imagine the dude just doesn't care if or when he dies.

The knowledge that there's an infinite number of realities probably helps. He's always dying somewhere anyway, so why get worked up about it?

Also I'm outraged that people are saying they didn't enjoy this episode as much as the last two. Why do you hate fun this thread/forum is the worst I'm no longer able to enjoy the show because of this thread the sky is falling etc.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I loved how the ending defied expectations. There were so many outs set up for Morty Jr (returns to his home planet, finally takes up dancing, murdered by Rick, etc) but out of nowhere Mr Marmaduke shows up and Morty Jr decides to channel his lust for murder and ultra violence into writing.

Just like Roiland and Harmon do.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 11, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I enjoyed it just fine. I mean hell even a show with umm.. "highs" like a bathroom jelly bean rape scene still has weird filler like the staircase bar

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I loved the Marmaduke thing, but the women-only planet plot felt really lazy and uninspired. "Women like shoes, feelings and chocolate" isn't exactly the freshest material in the world.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Android Blues posted:

I loved the Marmaduke thing, but the women-only planet plot felt really lazy and uninspired. "Women like shoes, feelings and chocolate" isn't exactly the freshest material in the world.

*fart*

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Loved the son fitting all teenage rebellious "epiphanies" into his rampage.

Also, I'm seriously invested in the idea that Summer gets to keep that spaceship.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 11, 2014

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sakarja posted:

Also I'm outraged that people are saying they didn't enjoy this episode as much as the last two. Why do you hate fun this thread/forum is the worst I'm no longer able to enjoy the show because of this thread the sky is falling etc.

The problem is up till now Rick and Morty has been fairly original, or turned tropes on their heads. This last episode seemed to be lifting directly from well-known source material and not exactly doing anything new with it. The Zardoz nods were cool but everything else seemed to be simple retreads of jokes everyone has heard for decades.

It wasn't bad or completely unfunny but it's not consistent with the rest of what has aired.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I loved how the ending defied expectations. There were so many outs set up for Morty Jr (returns to his home planet, finally takes up dancing, murdered by Rick, etc) but out of nowhere Mr Marmaduke shows up and Morty Jr decides to channel his lust for murder and ultra violence into writing.

Just like Roiland and Harmon.

Or Seth McFarlane.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VideoTapir posted:

Or Seth McFarlane.

It was shades of Family Guy.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Anony Mouse posted:

Could he be so nihilistic that he doesn't even give a poo poo about dying?
With the more and more references to the fourth wall "Well that's it Ladies and Gentlemen" when he was captive and now for the second time saying bye to the audience and seeing us next week I'm going to go ahead and guess he knows he's going to survive because without him and Morty there's no show. Possibly why he's such an alcoholic too, he know everything is just a sham.

Kind of an easy cop out "ending" but I'm sure they could find a way to make it even more hosed up. Maybe Rick isn't even trying to make science stuff, he just pokes with screwdrivers and tools and since he knows he's the science character everything he wants to do just comes together.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
While watching it, I kept thinking the entire time that "still good, not nearly as good as the others" would be the reaction from a lot of people, and me included. I watched it with my dad and I was a little disappointing that was the one he was introduced to the show on, but he laughed a few times and seemed to like it.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

hemophilia posted:

The problem is up till now Rick and Morty has been fairly original, or turned tropes on their heads. This last episode seemed to be lifting directly from well-known source material and not exactly doing anything new with it. The Zardoz nods were cool but everything else seemed to be simple retreads of jokes everyone has heard for decades.

It wasn't bad or completely unfunny but it's not consistent with the rest of what has aired.

It was just a joke, and it wasn't directed at you (something I could've made clearer considering that I put it in a post quoting you. Oh well.)

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

VideoTapir posted:

Or Seth McFarlane.

I'd best most all cartoon writers are just redirecting feelings of rage and bloodlust.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Suddenly all the Marmaduke edits in BSS comics thread make a lot more sense.

Best part was Rick calling them out on crushing them with a big rock and the alien trying to come up with something else on the spot.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 11, 2014

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Typical posted:

Nice name.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Don't think I've ever seen a TV show reference Zardoz before.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Has the show been posted anywhere?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Don't think I've ever seen a TV show reference Zardoz before.

Community, last Thursday.

Futurama did as well, where Farnsworth was wearing the Connery outfit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
[e: double post]

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Not gonna lie, I completely lost my poo poo at the Brad Anderson monologue.

edit: After reading Brad Anderson's wiki, I looked at the GoComics page for Marmaduke for shits and giggles, and learned that there are unironic Marmaduke fans.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 11, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I thought the first act was as good as anything else this season. It just couldn't maintain that momentum.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Typical posted:

I never get my name on all the commercials I work on :(

No, but awesome. Great job!

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

Has the show been posted anywhere?

I just watched it on Adult Swim's site. It didn't work at first, but it did once I reloaded the page.

http://video.adultswim.com/rick-and-morty/raising-gazorpazorp.html

And yeah, some of it was retreaded tropes, but I also thought it had some really great moments. The opening with Morty trying to convince Rick to buy him a sex robot was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
It kind of teetered a little bit in the middle, but I absolutely loved Rick's non-arc. Like it's not even entirely misogyny as much as it's just being absolutely jaded to everything and just bored through it. Like you get the projection this is so cliche it must be the forth or fifth time through it? ''Isn't it interesting, Summer, after all that stuff we just did, nothing really mattered and there was no point to it, kinda makes you wonder, huh? About nothing!'' He just so resolutely does not care at all, just sure, whatever, do what you want, and then gives her a pink spaceship. Perfect.

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 11, 2014

• Locked thread