Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Amidiri posted:

The dog thing wasn't even that unreasonable, considering that animals got a huge bonus out of our initial depression mood.

Not to mention that there really aren't any useless skills, just skills that you might want to train later than others, or skills that you might not use in a given attempt. The first time I won I had no physical skills trained at all, for example, but another time I won I had no mystical skills at all. It just depends on how you're trying to win, and how you plan on avoiding the various ways to die. (There are four ways to avoid dying on the road, or five if you count 'not going'. There are seven ways to avoid the death that caught me the first time I played.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Imprison, look at snake, accounting/trade/production. Maybe this princess can know what money is.

This sounds good. Let's have an accountant queen.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Things we "know" we "need" for the first few weeks:

Court Manners and Foreign Intelligence so we know that strange men sending us jewelery is a little skeevy.

Composure so we can hold still and not look at a goddamn snake.

Elegance or Reflexes so we don't faceplant in the laundry.

Getting our finance-related skills above 50 will be useful, but not immediately, as will Divination.

Interestingly, on one of my playthroughs, I didn't get the choice to go to the birthday party. No divination check, no bandit attack, just a happy fun time. :sparkles:

Oh, right, votes. Let her stay, don't look, Internal Affairs, Foreign Intelligence, Lore.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Arrest Juliana, look at snake

And we need Novan History, Accounting, and Trade.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

zonohedron posted:

Not to mention that there really aren't any useless skills.

I kind of disagree there. Unless there whas been a mayor change, one of the skills wont really ever come into play unless you specifically beg for it. But I guess you still need it to raise the others in that category.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Dogs x3 :smugdog:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Why did we go to the party. Why!? Jesus Christ people, we're goons! We don't go to parties for a reason!

Imprison, Don't look, Accounting, History, Foreign intelligence

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Why are we going to imprison Julianna? It's not like she looks like a danger? Oh, well.

Keep her around, don't look, Internal Affairs, Foreign Intelligence, Court Manners.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Upcoming Skill Checks

Skill Checks posted:

Week 3
”Sneaky Snake Strike” – ComposureSkill Level 10 was enough to pass

Week 5
”Do you know where Sedna is located?” - Foreign IntelligenceSkill Level 15.05 was enough to pass
”Is it appropriate to wear this necklace?” - Court MannersSkill Level 10.05 was enough to pass

Week 7
”Can you avoid bumping into your maid?” - Elegance - Skill Level 0 was not enough to pass
”Can you avoid bumping into your maid? Part Two” - Reflexes - Skill Level 0 was not enough to pass
”How do you deal with an apologetic maid?” - Court Manners - Skill Level 10.05 was not enough to pass

Week 8
”Do you recognize the potential of the printing press?” - Production + TradeProduction 0 / Trade 0 was not enough to pass

Week 9
”Do you know the background to the Ixionite occupation of the county of Imbrium?” - Foreign Affairs = Skill Level 0 was not enough to pass
”Do you know whether you have enough soldiers to wage war?” - MilitaryStrategy 0 / Naval Strategy 0 / Logistics 15.4 was enough to pass

Week 10
”Do you know something about your country?” - Novan History = Skill Level 0 was not enough to pass
”Do you know something about Ixion?” - Foreign Affairs = Skill Level 0 was not enough to pass
”Do you know something about Ixion? Part Two” - Foreign Intelligence = Skill Level 52.4 was not enough to pass
”Do you know whether 8,000 golden lassi is a reasonable price for a peaceful settlement?” - Accounting + Trade = Accounting 0 / Trade 0 was not enough to pass
”Do you know whether 8,000 golden lassi is a reasonable price for a peaceful settlement? Part Two” - Logistics = Skill Level 15.4 was not enough to pass

Week 12
”Do you recognize the potential of a hospital?” - Herbs + Battlefield Medicine = Herbs 0 / Battlefield Medicine 0 was not enough to pass

Week 13
”Do you know something about Kevan, Earl of Io or his sister Corisande, the Duchess of Mead?” - Novan History = Skill Level 0 was not enough to pass
”Do you know something about the last Duke of Mead?” - Internal Affairs = Skill Level 80.4 was enough for a partial success
”Can you ask Kevan a question about his family without upsetting him?” - Court Manners = Skill Level 10 was not enough to pass

Week 14
”Do you know the meaning of an owl flying overhead?” - Divination = Skill Level 0 was not enough to pass
”Do you know the meaning of an owl flying overhead? Part Two” - Falcons = Skill Level 0 was not enough to pass
”Do you know what is the significance of a keythong?” - Lore = Skill Level 0 was not enough to pass
”Do you know what is the significance of a keythong? Part Two” - Novan History = Skill Level 0 was not enough to pass

Week 16 (Leading a parade, without making a speech)
”???” - DecorationSkill Level 0 was not enough to pass
”???” - EleganceSkill Level 46.5 was not enough to pass

Week 17
”Can you impress the nobility of your kingdom at your ball?” - PresenceSkill Level 100 was enough to pass
”Do you know the significance of your choice of dance partner?” - Intrigue + Court MannersIntrigue 160 / Court Manners 10 was not enough to pass
”Do you know how to dance at a ball?” - DanceSkill Level 10.4 was not enough to pass
”???” - Court Manners + FlatteryCourt Manners 10 / Flattery 0 was not enough to pass
”???” - Sense MagicSkill Level 10 was not enough to pass

Week 18
”Can you keep your cool when you find your father cavorting with Sirin the Gold Digger?” - ComposureSkill Level 39.2 was not enough to pass
”Can you crush Sirin with the force of your presence?” - Presence (If you choose “Scorn”)Skill Level 100 was enough to pass
”Is your intelligence network sufficiently developed to counter threats to you and/or your realm?” - IntrigueSkill Level 160 was enough to pass
Choosing “Assassins” => “More Training” = -1 Afraid / -1 Depressed

Week 19
”Do you know the consequences of raising or lowering taxes?” - AccountingSkill Level 21.9 was not enough to pass

Week 20
”Can you tell whether the wife murderer was actually possessed by a demon?” - Sense MagicSkill Level 27.3 was not enough to pass
Choosing “Imprison” => The self-proclaimed demon-possessed murderer escapes during the next week, together with other “dangerous criminals”

Week 22
”Do you know something about the neighbouring duchies of Lillah and Elath?” - Novan HistorySkill Level 27.3 was not enough to pass
”Do you know something about Duchess Arisse? - Internal AffairsSkill Level 70.4 was only enough for a partial success
Choosing “Send Lord Adair to his grandfather” => Lord Adair is assassinated in Week 26

Week 23
”Do you know what musicians can be used for?” - Intrigue - Skill Level 190 was enough to pass
”Do you know what musicians can be used for? Part Two” - Foreign Intelligence - Skill Level 62.4 was not enough to pass
”Do you know something more about the musician’s musical abilities?” - Instrument + Voice - Instrument 0 / Voice 0 was not enough to pass

Week 25
”Do you know what is the significance of a falling star?” - Logistics + Trade - Logistics 15.4 / Voice 0 was not enough to pass

Week 26
”Do you know something about Lord Adair’s assassination?” = Foreign Intelligence - Skill Level 52.4 was not enough to pass
”Do you know something about the history of Elath?” - Internal Affairs
Skill Level 70.4 was enough to pass
”Do you know why Elath is a major duchy which you cannot afford to lose?” - Production
Skill Level 0 was not enough to pass
Choosing “A random commoner!” and/or Getting Lord Adair assassinated (Not clear which is the determining factor) => The Duke of Sedna sends his soldiers to invade Elath

Week 27
”Can you recognize an omen regarding Gwenelle’s birthday party?” - Divination

Week 28
”Can you dodge an assassin’s arrow?” - Archery + Reflexes
Archery 57.0 / Reflexes 10.4 was not enough to pass
”Do you know what not to do when an arrow is stuck in your body?” - Battlefield Medicine

Weekend activity - Getting past the guards at the treasury
AccountingSkill Level 0 was not enough to pass
Skill Level 21.9 was not enough to pass
Presence - Skill Level 0 was not enough to pass
Skill Level 100 was enough to pass
Skill Level 91.2 was enough to pass

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Keep her around, don't look, composure and double swords.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Blastinus posted:

The birthday party gets a lot of people. Considering how we weren't focusing on getting the things that would have helped us survive this very specific check, it stands to reason that it'd be the first death that we saw. Oh well, time to try it again.

Send Away Julianna

Look Down

Accounting, Trade, and Battlefield Medicine. Let's get those cultural advancements this time.

Seconding this. Also just caught up with LP, it's an awesome game, but if I'd play it I'll try and cheat/save edit poo poo out of it..

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Blastinus posted:

The birthday party gets a lot of people. Considering how we weren't focusing on getting the things that would have helped us survive this very specific check, it stands to reason that it'd be the first death that we saw. Oh well, time to try it again.

Personally I was expecting another thing to kill us but it never had a chance to come up. oh well there is always next time. :unsmigghh:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Whelp, that sure was anticlimactic. Not that I wasn't expecting it, but it kind of irks me how the specifics of that death came out of nowhere and there wasn't really any way of predicting what skill could have kept us out of trouble. I get it, that's what the game is about, but it still seems like you pretty much have to be clairvoyant to beat this game on the first run through...

Keep her around, then don't get bitten in the face by a snake (don't look at it), and finally study Economics, Swords and Divination.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 11, 2014

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Whelp, that sure was anticlimactic. Not that I wasn't expecting it, but it kind of irks me how the specifics of that death came out of nowhere and there wasn't really any way of predicting what skill could have kept us out of trouble. I get it, that's what the game is about, but it still seems like you pretty much have to be clairvoyant to beat this game on the first run through...

You have to be intelligent and cautious - Elodie is the uncrowned ruler of the kingdom, after all, and that's sort of what her future subjects hope to see. For example, Elodie specifically noted that "a lot of things can happen on the road" before that decision came up. We didn't know what skills would be useful, but we could have probably avoided needing to use skills whatsoever by deciding it was too dangerous.

Or judging from the failed Divination check, you could just actually become clairvoyant. Options!

Imprison her, don't look, Court Manners, Court Manners, Internal Affairs.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I'm closing the voting here. I need to actually go vote, myself, in the town elections. Expect the update to be very late today (between 6 and 8).

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Sure, but I'm assuming there are some things you are expected to do if you want a good ending? That is, there are some risks you need to take. And presumably those risks require passing skill checks; the hilarious danger inherent of birthday parties and merry clowns aside, it kinda feels like archery and battlefield medicine were the last skills I would have expected to need to pass that one.

Or maybe the good route is playing ultra-safe at every turn, I don't know. :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I get it, that's what the game is about, but it still seems like you pretty much have to be clairvoyant to beat this game on the first run through...

And that is why divination is one of the best skills.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Sure, but I'm assuming there are some things you are expected to do if you want a good ending? That is, there are some risks you need to take. And presumably those risks require passing skill checks; the hilarious danger inherent of birthday parties and merry clowns aside, it kinda feels like archery and battlefield medicine were the last skills I would have expected to need to pass that one.

Or maybe the good route is playing ultra-safe at every turn, I don't know. :v:

How would you define "The good route" or "the good ending," out of curiosity? You might be thinking about things that don't exist in this game.

D3m3 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 11, 2014

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The "good route" I suppose is any route where you don't actually die.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

I completed the game yesterday by surviving. But it was technically a pretty bad ending for everyone.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The reason not to play ultra-safe is that it makes you look weak, and then your enemies get bolder. The castle isn't always safe either, you know.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I'm assuming there's an ending where we actually become queen and/or magical girl. If it's anything like Princess Maker, there might be multiple outcomes that fit the bill, but anything that ends up with us dead on the roadside is decidedly not one.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'm assuming there's an ending where we actually become queen and/or magical girl. If it's anything like Princess Maker, there might be multiple outcomes that fit the bill, but anything that ends up with us dead on the roadside is decidedly not one.

There are a bunch of ways to survive to your coronation, and then there's an epilogue after the coronation scene based on your actions up to that point. Some of the epilogue screens are happier than others, and some of them could be described as "bad for everyone involved", but I wouldn't call them "bad endings" - I'd save that for dying or not getting to become queen.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I can't imagine this game being nearly as divergent as Princess maker was, but there's probably a small variety of different ways things can turn out, aside from being dead.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Julianna

Arrest her: 25

Let her stay: 8

Send her away: 4

Snake

Look down: 14

Hold still: 13

Classes

Accounting: 15

Trade: 12

Production: 8

Divination: 8

Voice: 7

Economics: 7

Swords: 6

Court Manners: 6

Reflexes: 6

Internal Affairs: 5

Battlefield Medicine: 5

Composure: 4

Intrigue: 4

Foreign Intelligence: 4

Running: 3

Dogs: 3

Novan History: 3

Instruments: 3

Expression: 2

Agility: 1

Herbs: 1

Poison: 1

Decoration: 1

Presence: 1

Falcons: 1

Weapons: 1

Military: 1

Lore: 1

Winners

Arrest her

Look down

Accounting x 3

Trade x 3

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

(Week 1 is always the same. It can be found here)

Elodie graduated kindergarten!

I have come to pay my respects in honor of your mother.

You have no respect or honor. It's because of you and your powers that my wife is dead!

What?!?

I am a Lumen, as was she, and like every Lumen I am willing to give my life if necessary to protect our domain.

Duke of Caloris: Your line has been traitors for two hundred years. I won't have you corrupting my daughter.

That is for the Crown Princess to decide. Elodie, your mother trusted me, and I have much to teach you.

You are a traitor to the crown and I ought to have you executed.

GUARDS! Arrest her!

Throw her into the castle dungeons and let her rot!

Well. I suppose she won't be a problem anymore.

... Never mind. Elodie didn't graduate kindergarten, she got held back.

He loves me, he loves me not...

Lottie, do you have a boyfriend?

Not really. I just like to play with the flowers.

Me too.

You gather your skirts and prepare to sit down, when all of a sudden, a hissing noise alerts you to a hidden danger - a snake!

Charlotte, don't move!

You grab for a stick to push the snake away, but you lack the skills to do the job properly, and poking the snake only makes it angry. Too fast to see, it lunges forward and sinks its fangs into your leg!

OW!

The snake slithers away, but it's too late now. A strange tingling sensation begins to spread through your flesh.

That's a milk viper. They're poisonous!

I don't feel good.

Your leg is going numb. You stumble and fall to the ground.

Hold on!

Your cousin kneels beside you and presses her hands over the bite mark. The area throbs painfully, then begins to feel warm. After a minute, you're dizzy, but your leg isn't buzzing anymore, and even the wound has disappeared.

How did you do that?

I don't know how I do it. I just can. I'm not supposed to tell anybody. People think it's freaky. You won't tell, will you?

Of course not. I'm just lucky you were here.

Girls? What's going on out here? I heard yelling.

Nothing!

We saw a snake, but it got away.

A snake! That's it. Charlotte, pack your things. We're going back to Merva. It's not safe here.

Awww...

I love Lucille's reaction. "A snake? Like a garden snake? That is it! We're leaving!"

Choices galore!

1) Should we visit Julianna in the dungeons, or work towards our desired emotion?

2) Should we be Yielding or angry? Yielding allows us to get anything other than weapons and lumen, which we can't use right now. Angry gives us a benefit to weapons, but gives penalties to other skills. Yielding can be gotten in only a single (not vising Julianna) week, but angry will take quite a few. Look at the second post for more details.

3) Vote for 3 more classes.

4) If Elodie has the skill, should she refuse the necklace she gets from Talarist?

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

We already threw her in the dungeon, so might as well stick with working on our emotion.

Which should be Yielding.

So we can continue boosting Accounting, Trade and Production.

As for the necklace, I doubt we'll have the skill to refuse. If we do, then yeah, don't wear it.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Work towards emotion

Yielding

Court Manners x3

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Continue working on our emotions,
become Yielding,
do not take the necklace,

and for classes, take Court Manners, Accounting and Divination.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007
Yield to Emotion.
Accounting, Trade, Divination.
If possible, Don't wear it.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

Throw her into the castle dungeons and let her rot!

Well. I suppose she won't be a problem anymore.

I love his reaction and how it's basically "WELP :stonklol:"

He lets his daughter make her first decision as royalty and it's to throw one of the kingdom's duchesses in jail. Have her train divination x3 again, so the gods can explain to her that she should just loving arrest everyone else while she's at it.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Wear the necklace but boost Court Manners x3.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zikan posted:

Work towards emotion

Yielding

Court Manners x3
I'm down with this plan. And don't wear the necklace.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Penakoto posted:

We already threw her in the dungeon, so might as well stick with working on our emotion.

As for the necklace, I doubt we'll have the skill to refuse. If we do, then yeah, don't wear it.

I vote this. We must be the entrepreneur-princess.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Work towards being Yeilding

Divination x3

Don't wear the necklace

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Let's Visit Juliana in the dungeons.. Who cares about working towards Elodie's survivability when we can probably see more plot!
We seem to be learning towards Economics and Divination, so let's work towards yielding.
As for classes Production x 3 so we'll get Production over 25, and be able to raise any economy skills we may need.

Finally, let's Wear the necklace!. We've already died once, what harm could come from repeatedly sticking our hand back in the fire?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wow, I never knew that about Lottie, and I can't believe that failing a check was beneficial. I always thought you would die from the bite.

Get Yielding, 2 orders of Court Manners, and 1 of Foreign Intelligence. Oh, and don't wear the necklace. I get the feeling that there's something magic related with it, and if we are now locked out of Lumen training we'll never be able to notice it.

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012

Penakoto posted:

Wow, people keep expressing my ideas before me! Handy!
To be clear, my votes go to those above.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Dogs x3 and then Give the necklace to our dogs :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I love his reaction and how it's basically "WELP :stonklol:"

He lets his daughter make her first decision as royalty and it's to throw one of the kingdom's duchesses in jail. Have her train divination x3 again, so the gods can explain to her that she should just loving arrest everyone else while she's at it.

Does Joslyn ever have an expression other than :geno:? I don't think I've seen his portrait change this entire LP. He's the worst dad.

I'll go with 3 divination because why the hell not. Practical skills didn't stop an arrow from sinking into Elodie's guts so maybe she should rely on faith instead. Also don't wear the necklace, its probably cursed to strangle the wearer or something.

• Locked thread