Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Which PPV was the one where Hogan was clean shaven for the first time in like, ever? I remember seeing a tiny, scratchy picture of him at some point in time and the resemblance to John Cleese is hilarious (to me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I'd never thought about it, actually. I'd just assumed he had it since birth.

I thought that maybe he was clean shaven as Thunderlips in Rocky III but I was wrong. As I watched the scene, it occurred to me that in terms of moves, it was the best in-ring performance from Hogan I'd ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1_uCeBCYtU

Edit: Hogan can't even put someone over in a movie. :v:

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 11, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Apparently he was mustache-less in '95, so it's going to be one of the WCW PPVs.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Q_res posted:

You understand what the word "minority" actually means though, right?

This aught to be good. No, what does it mean?

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I saw a mustache-less Hogan in the World War 3 PPV that Savage wins, I forget the year.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Memento posted:

Which PPV was the one where Hogan was clean shaven for the first time in like, ever? I remember seeing a tiny, scratchy picture of him at some point in time and the resemblance to John Cleese is hilarious (to me).

Holy poo poo, you're right!

It's uncanny, frankly.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
I remember Hogan having to shave off his mustache as some sort of a loss stipulation. I forget who he lost to or when, all I remember is that it was in WCW.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ghostpilot posted:

Holy poo poo, you're right!

It's uncanny, frankly.

This right here is a man with a Silly Walk.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Superstring posted:

Means there are fewer of them than another group, duh. Not sure what you're loving expecting.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Means there are fewer of them than another group, duh. Not sure what you're loving expecting.

Thanks Zeb.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Superstring posted:

There are fewer of them. Which means fewer minority guys than white dudes becoming champs early in their career is not necessarily an indication of whether WWE is racist or not as very few people in total get that chance.

There's plenty of legitimate arguments that you could give for saying that WWE is racist, but this may not be one of them.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Q_res posted:

You understand what the word "minority" actually means though, right?

You know, you're right. I hope someday we can find equality between Whites and Clamdiggers from Washington.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

pseudodragon posted:

There are fewer of them. Which means fewer minority guys than white dudes becoming champs early in their career is not necessarily an indication of whether WWE is racist or not as very few people in total get that chance.

There's plenty of legitimate arguments that you could give for saying that WWE is racist, but this may not be one of them.

Oh look, someone who can understand simple concepts.

edit: 28.5% minority makeup of that group isn't really noteworthy, whether you think WWE is racist or not.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 11, 2014

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
PSP is in over it's head when it comes to a discussion about racism in professional wrestling. Pro wrestling has forever been racist and sexist, political correctness is not the place to make your stand with this business. Accept it for the simple, sometimes offensive entertainment that it is.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
People in the US and Canada are mostly white, and it's really hosed up that most people just sit there and go, "Oh, yeah, I guess that's true," instead of having a panic attack and doing the "how cute a regressive :allears:" thing.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the hell are you even talking about

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

As a brown person I would like to say that nothing in wrestling is offensive unless you're a giant baby (exceptions for JBL's title reigns and WCW)

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

epitasis posted:

the hell are you even talking about

I was just pointing out that it was kind of messed up when that guy said that most of the new wwe champions in the American wrestling company being white could have something to do with most of America being white.

I've only watched a bit of ROH so: Does anyone now or did anyone ever like or give a gently caress about Truth Martini?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Truth Martini has great clothes, everybody loves Hoopla, and his turn to being even more of a heel a few weeks ago was hilarious

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Although it's in no way official, I was looking up Grand Slam Champions in WWE and the list of people who are close but still require a belt or two is small. The only one with a decent shot at getting it right now is Mark Henry if they ever give him the Tag and IC belts. How many tag teams has Mark Henry actually been in? I swear he's tagged with like 80 people so I was sure he must have been tag champ at some point. And even though it's not an official distinction, how come they don't count the US title as secondary/tertiary? That would probably make the list a lot bigger.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

sticklefifer posted:

Although it's in no way official, I was looking up Grand Slam Champions in WWE and the list of people who are close but still require a belt or two is small. The only one with a decent shot at getting it right now is Mark Henry if they ever give him the Tag and IC belts. How many tag teams has Mark Henry actually been in? I swear he's tagged with like 80 people so I was sure he must have been tag champ at some point. And even though it's not an official distinction, how come they don't count the US title as secondary/tertiary? That would probably make the list a lot bigger.

They aren't counting it because essentially it's never been said to be included in kayfabe, hence there won't be any future Grand Slam champions unless they held the Euro/Hardcore title before it went defunct, because that was the last time they ever mentioned what the requirements were.

I'd love to see a list of who's held the top, secondary, and tag belts, though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wrestling is definitely still pretty disproportionately white- because there's no objective measure of talent close to what real sports have, it's easier for prejudices to remain ingrained in hiring and booking.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Aku posted:

I remember Hogan having to shave off his mustache as some sort of a loss stipulation. I forget who he lost to or when, all I remember is that it was in WCW.
I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it was for a movie role.

Supreme Allah posted:

political correctness is not the place to make your stand with this business.
I hate this term. There's nothing political about not being a loving rear end in a top hat.

Edit:

titties posted:

As a brown person I would like to say that nothing in wrestling is offensive unless you're a giant baby (exceptions for JBL's title reigns and WCW)
You're not the ambassador of brown people and don't get to decide for all of them what is or isn't offensive.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 11, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm watching that Shane/Angle King of the Ring 2001 match thanks to the Network thread. I just watched him do a goddamn shooting star press onto a trash can. Who trained Shane?

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 11, 2014

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So, I remember seeing this clip of some terrible, briefly lived hype guy on a pre-show named like, Charlie Tran or something. It was this clip of him losing his poo poo about the show that ended with him going "CASKET MATCH, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" What was his name, and is that video still up?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

LividLiquid posted:

I hate this term. There's nothing political about not being a loving rear end in a top hat.

It is the generally accepted term for (x) sensitivity in society, it's not my personally developed term that I am going to take responsibility for, or argue over.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Supreme Allah posted:

It is the generally accepted term for (x) sensitivity in society, it's not my personally developed term that I am going to take responsibility for, or argue over.
I could've, and should've, done a better job of mentioning this without acting as if I was attacking you for your choice of words. It was a jumping off point for me, and wasn't about you or your word choice. I just hate the term.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

spongeh posted:

I'd love to see a list of who's held the top, secondary, and tag belts, though.

That's Triple Crown. :mmmhmm:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

The teams I can think of:

w/ The Godfather (in the Nation)
w/D' Lo Brown (both in the Nation and not if memory serves)
w/MVP
w/Evan Bourne

That's actually about it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I heard My Sacrifice by Creed on the way to work this morning.

Does anybody have the general WWF Desire video set to that? I tried searching months ago, but all I could find were specific wrestler ones and copycats.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So, I remember seeing this clip of some terrible, briefly lived hype guy on a pre-show named like, Charlie Tran or something. It was this clip of him losing his poo poo about the show that ended with him going "CASKET MATCH, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" What was his name, and is that video still up?

Charlie Minn, probably. No idea about a video.

EDIT: I should have known better than to search for his real name (which I remember for no good reason). I should have known to search for "Action Zone Asian Guy."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDfEURVtrlI

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 11, 2014

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
Seeing an episode of RAW with Sean Waltman debuting as The Kamikaze Kid in his "Lightning Kid" singlet reminds me of when I first saw the Lightning Kid on ESPN and being super impressed (I was 11 or so), which leads me to wonder... who owns the rights to GWF tapes?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

SirDippingSauce posted:

Seeing an episode of RAW with Sean Waltman debuting as The Kamikaze Kid in his "Lightning Kid" singlet reminds me of when I first saw the Lightning Kid on ESPN and being super impressed (I was 11 or so), which leads me to wonder... who owns the rights to GWF tapes?

There was a story a few months back that WWE had just bought them.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

TL posted:

There was a story a few months back that WWE had just bought them.

I hope they show up on the Network so I can watch that bungee cord match between Chaz and Mike Davis again!

I can't believe I remembered those names.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Maybe this actually would deserve a thread (though I'm not the person to make it), but I've had this thought bouncing around my head trying to come up with the best way to ask it.

What are some of the moments where guys (or women) officially became "main event" caliber, at least in your eyes. Obviously "3:16" is one that is referrenced a lot, and was the one that shuffled me off on this particular train of thought.

I don't so much mean when you as a fan took notice of a guy, though I do find hearing the various perspectives on this interesting as well. But it's more the generally accepted time when fans bought in, management bought in, etc.

As a tangent to that, are there any real noteworthy, legitimate "stars" that never really had one? Are these moments actually rare, and most of them happened this way?

(This whole thing was born of the recurring notion that WWE hasn't really fostered an environment conducive to their creation.)

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

FakePoet posted:

Maybe this actually would deserve a thread (though I'm not the person to make it), but I've had this thought bouncing around my head trying to come up with the best way to ask it.

What are some of the moments where guys (or women) officially became "main event" caliber, at least in your eyes. Obviously "3:16" is one that is referrenced a lot, and was the one that shuffled me off on this particular train of thought.

I don't so much mean when you as a fan took notice of a guy, though I do find hearing the various perspectives on this interesting as well. But it's more the generally accepted time when fans bought in, management bought in, etc.

As a tangent to that, are there any real noteworthy, legitimate "stars" that never really had one? Are these moments actually rare, and most of them happened this way?

(This whole thing was born of the recurring notion that WWE hasn't really fostered an environment conducive to their creation.)

Randy Orton?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

You could argue that Randy Orton's star-making moment was his match with Foley, where he landed on the thumbtacks, but still won. It brought the "Legend Killer" gimmick thing to an end, because he finally ran into someone that shut him up, and although he won, it was a very costly victory.

His SummerSlam title win over Benoit was kind of underwhelming, or at least, it was to me.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

IDK if this even a fair question given how different every promotion is, but what do people think of Brian Danielson's career? Is he a better performer now than when he was in the indies?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

emjayo posted:

IDK if this even a fair question given how different every promotion is, but what do people think of Brian Danielson's career? Is he a better performer now than when he was in the indies?

I'm not really familiar with his indy run but I can tell you that he definitely has lost some of his luster because that's the nature of WWE style, but at the same time he can still bring it and put on a great match given the right opportunity and in a main event situation.

His matches with Punk in 2012 and Cena at Summerslam 2013 are proof of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

emjayo posted:

Yeah I don't even know how to begin to answer that. The real answer to me is that he's awesome wherever he goes, in different ways. He seems to be able to adapt to whatever the audience in front of him wants, whether it be long technical ROH matches or short, signature-move filled WWE matches.