Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah we went to Barcade on our last night, a Monday. It was pretty quiet, all the games were 25c and in perfect working order. Really fun place, we don't have anything like it here as it would get overrun with morons who'd break the machines and clog them with sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I'm looking to go to NY to see Hedwig and some other shows in May or so. Can anyone recommend me a hotel in Manhattan? I was looking at the St. James Hotel which is about $800 for a week or so. I'm not overly picky as long as its not too far away from that area and I'm looking to find somewhere less than $800 if it exists. I would much rather not have to share amenities.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Look into Chelsea Star and Carlton Arms.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

Blue_monday posted:

I'm looking to go to NY to see Hedwig and some other shows in May or so. Can anyone recommend me a hotel in Manhattan? I was looking at the St. James Hotel which is about $800 for a week or so. I'm not overly picky as long as its not too far away from that area and I'm looking to find somewhere less than $800 if it exists. I would much rather not have to share amenities.

Less than $800 for a week, and you don't want to share amenities? In Manhattan? That's a mighty tall order. If that's $800 for 7 days in Manhattan, and it includes taxes & fees, that's a very sweet deal. The Jane should clock in just barely under that, but you'll have shared bathrooms. Granted they're very nice and immaculate shared bathrooms, but shared nonetheless.

moosefence
Jul 25, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

See a comedy show. Stand up had never been stronger than it is now. Comedy Cellar is the premier venu but there are lots of others right on its heels.

Hey do you have any other recommendations? My wife and I are coming for a week in January and I would really like to check out some standup. Comedy Cellar and Caroline's were on my list, but I really don't know where else to look.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

moosefence posted:

Hey do you have any other recommendations? My wife and I are coming for a week in January and I would really like to check out some standup. Comedy Cellar and Caroline's were on my list, but I really don't know where else to look.

Almost every day there's a cheap comedy show listed here: http://www.theskint.com/ Often in the back of a bar, sometimes in a little theater, they're all good though.

There are at least four premier venues on the other end of things where you're likely to see at least one guy from TV any time you go. Comedy Cellar, Gotham, Caroline's, Dangerfield's. And UCB for sketch comedy. Comedy Cellar is by far the most intimate and the only one where really you need to make a reservation to attend -- however reservations aren't hard to get, you just email earlier in the day basically. Hannibal Buress' recurrent show at The Knitting Factory is red hot right now with people showing an hour or more before the show to get in the building.

For a list of headliners you can visit the TONY standup page: http://www.timeout.com/newyork/comedy

If you like standup you could also go to a storytelling thing. It's a growing activity here, the dominant show in that domain is The Moth but there are lots of them now. Usually it's performers and/or standups doing pieces (which are sometimes funny) rather than traditional standup comedy. You'll see lots of them listed on that first link I gave you, they're usually free.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 7, 2013

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!
I am going to NYC for a 8 days in the beginning of December, with my boss. Flying in from Copenhagen to do some work and networking. Wanted to hear if anybody can recommend either a cheap-ish hotel somewhere central in Manhattan or a nice Airbnb with 2 separate sleeping rooms (1 can be a sleeping couch).

moosefence
Jul 25, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

Comedy stuff

Awesome, thanks a ton! This will be a huge help. We are coming in the second week of January and just booked our room through a hotel week promotion! Very excited.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I know this may ring a bit of elitism, but I found this item really helpful.

If you, or someone you know are a part of an alumni society, private club or something equally fancy, you can probably get rooms at either the Metropolitan or New York Athletic Clubs from around $175 a night. I can't speak from experience on other places like the Yale Society/Club or other places, but most of these places have huge reciprocal membership networks across the world and provide awesome locations for the price of a standard room ($216-360 a night).
This also works in reverse, Union Leagues, University Clubs, and the various Athletic Clubs around the world have guest rooms for great rates. The best way to figure out if you can use this is to check out alumni groups or professional networks to see if anyone has membership listed in their information.
I can post a full list of reciprocal clubs if anyone is interested.

edit: lots of dropped words

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 11, 2013

The Throwback Kid
May 19, 2013
Just got back from a 3 day trip, had a lot of fun and the suggestions in this thread helped me, so I though I would share some of my thoughts from the trip.

I stayed at an airbnb place in Harlem, really close to the 1 train which made it pretty easy to get into downtown, the strangest thing was the lack of screens in the windows. Do people not have a problem with bugs and other animals coming into their apartments?

JFK is definitely easier to get into the city with since they have a direct connection to the subway unlike LGA where you have to take a bus/shuttle or walk for a mile or two through queens. I made the mistake of not fully reading the hubstop travel directions before committing to it and ended up getting off the M train(i think) and walking for another 45min through queens, on the plus side I got to see what looked like the area you first start off in in GTAIV.

Make sure you bring cash or have a bank with atms in the city, I was surprised by the number of places that won't accept credit cards, even the more famous restaurants like Katz deli and Lombardis pizza didn't take them and coming from an area where everyone takes plastic it was odd. Also totally expected Lombardi's to be a place you could just grab a slice or 2 and eat off a paper plate. Katz was expensive, $16 for a sandwich, albeit an amazing sandwich, is still pretty high in my opinion and a can of soda is $3.25 which is just crazy.

Upright citizens brigade theater was great, I'm not sure if its because I went on a Saturday night but they were sold out for both their shows and had to do the standing room thing but paying full ticket price. On the other hand $10 for a little over an hour of sketch comedy is pretty hard to beat.

Silly me thought there was no cell service in the subway but it turns out if you have AT&T or Sprint (not 100% on that) you do get cell service down there. I looked up Verizon since that what I have and it seems they are pretty late on the ball for that and while there is a partial rollout full coverage isn't expected for another 3+ years()2016-17).

The Met is amazing, I spent most of a day wandering around but the guys at the ticket counters seem like they are really trying to guilt you into paying the recommended $25, all the signs say the price is $25 and then in really small text at the bottom mention that it is voluntary and when I went to buy a ticket he rings up their suggested price and acts all disappointed in me when I hand him a $10.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
I have a ticket to NY for the 9th-16th but my friend who was gonna house me in that time has gotten a bedbug infestation and now says I can't stay there. I can't really afford to stay in a hotel for a week, and she's the only person I know in the area. Any ideas on what I should do?

Rubber Slug fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 2, 2014

schweg
Nov 15, 2004
Yes.
With the snowstorm that just came through winter is really here now so you definitely don't want to end up without a place to stay.

The good news is that since it's low season for tourists you should be able to find something for pretty cheap.

You can probably find a dorm bed or couch on hostelworld.com or airbnb.com in the $25 - $30 / night range or slightly more for better neighborhood and amenities. If that doesn't work you might have luck with couchsurfing.com (make sure you have a backup plan in case they flake) or finding a sublet on craigslist (don't get ripped off if you pay cash/check).

There are a ton of things to do in New York that are free or cheap so the only absolutely necessary expense aside from food/shelter will be a subway MetroCard ($2.50 per ride or $30 unlimited for 7 days).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Anyone have any cheap/easy suggestions for getting into Brooklyn on a Saturday if I'm starting from Wilkes Barre? Someplace in northern Jersey I can stow my car and take a train in?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Metro Park?

Oh actually Wilkes Barre is kinda north huh that might not work. Could probably just look at the NJ transit lines for a town that works for you, most have payed parking at or near the train stations. If you can make it to Summit you can park at the public library near the train station for free and it's a straight shot to NYC on the train, but idk how far you want to drive.

Arakan fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 11, 2014

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Anyone have any cheap/easy suggestions for getting into Brooklyn on a Saturday if I'm starting from Wilkes Barre? Someplace in northern Jersey I can stow my car and take a train in?

Secaucus Junction has a pay lot you can stash your car at, I think it's pretty cheap on weekends. That or the Ramsey Route 17 station would be my recommendation.

Edit: Or free street parking in downtown Jersey City, then taking the PATH in.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 11, 2014

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

My wife and I are looking at flying out for 6 days (including travel) in early June. We're interested in doing the standard stuff - a Broadway play, a visit to central park and the Met, fancy prix fixe lunches, and greasy street food dinners. We have a few questions to start the planning off:
  • Should we aim to visit over a weekend, or would visiting during the week be better?
  • If we want to spend a day out of Manhattan, where should we go? We'd love to have a neighborhood to walk around in that's subway accessible and has good food and neat local shops. The ability to bar hop with $5 drinks would be a major plus.
  • Are there any tall buildings with great views that don't have the wait of the empire state building?
Right now we're just trying to nail down the basic structure of the trip - I'm sure I'll be back with a ton more questions closer to June. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Here's what you do - drive your car to the Grove street PATH. Drive up Christopher street until you see a spot to parallel park your car. Park your car. Go to either the Grove Street or Exchange PATH station depending on which is closer to you. Take the WTC PATH to NYC. Enjoy your free parking, 24 hour mass transit, and cheap ride. gently caress NJ Transit forever.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Mad Wack posted:

Here's what you do - drive your car to the Grove street PATH. Drive up Christopher street until you see a spot to parallel park your car. Park your car. Go to either the Grove Street or Exchange PATH station depending on which is closer to you. Take the WTC PATH to NYC. Enjoy your free parking, 24 hour mass transit, and cheap ride. gently caress NJ Transit forever.

By Christopher Street do you mean Columbus Drive? If so, yes this is ideal.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm heading into NYC on Friday and have to get up to The Met by 10:00 Am for a 10:15 tour. I'm catching an 8:12 out of the train station near my home in NJ. I then have to walk to Grand Central from Penn, which is fine, and catch the 6 train up town. However my question is where is the 6 train in Grand Central? I've looked for a map to help me find it, but I've had no luck in finding on. Can anyone help me out at all or is it pretty easy to find?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Toebone posted:

By Christopher Street do you mean Columbus Drive? If so, yes this is ideal.

My mistake you nailed it.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

screenwritersblues posted:

I'm heading into NYC on Friday and have to get up to The Met by 10:00 Am for a 10:15 tour. I'm catching an 8:12 out of the train station near my home in NJ. I then have to walk to Grand Central from Penn, which is fine, and catch the 6 train up town. However my question is where is the 6 train in Grand Central? I've looked for a map to help me find it, but I've had no luck in finding on. Can anyone help me out at all or is it pretty easy to find?

Well first, don't walk from Penn to Grand central. That'll kill ~25-30 minutes when the subway will take half of that.

Take the 1, 2, or 3 uptown towards times square (should be one stop), then transfer to the Shuttle (will be labeled as "S"), then follow the signs to the 6 uptown (you can also take the 4 or the 5, which are express, and will just slightly overshoot the stop you're planning to take to the Met.

If you DO decide to walk it, the subway entrance will be indoors at the southeast side of the station. On google maps, it'll be in the corner where 42nd street meets the elevated park ave viaduct (ground-level is called the "42nd street passage"). There's an entrance there, and the subway will be immediately on the right.

If you enter the station from a different point, go to the main concourse (the place with the central clock and star mural on the giant ceilings. You'll know). Look for the Apple store, and walk underneath it on the right-hand side. The arch above that passage should read "Lexington Passage, 4,5,6,7 Shuttle", or something similar. Take a right once you go through, and the stairs/escalators to the subway will be on your left-hand side near the exit doors at the end of the hall.

bam thwok fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 15, 2014

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

bam thwok posted:

Well first, don't walk from Penn to Grand central. That'll kill ~25-30 minutes when the subway will take half of that.

Take the 1, 2, or 3 uptown towards times square (should be one stop), then transfer to the Shuttle (will be labeled as "S"), then follow the signs to the 6 uptown (you can also take the 4 or the 5, which are express, and will just slightly overshoot the stop you're planning to take to the Met.

If you DO decide to walk it, the subway entrance will be indoors at the southeast side of the station. On google maps, it'll be in the corner where 42nd street meets the elevated park ave viaduct (ground-level is called the "42nd street passage"). There's an entrance there, and the subway will be immediately on the right.

If you enter the station from a different point, go to the main concourse (the place with the central clock and star mural on the giant ceilings. You'll know). Look for the Apple store, and walk underneath it on the right-hand side. The arch above that passage should read "Lexington Passage, 4,5,6,7 Shuttle", or something similar. Take a right once you go through, and the stairs/escalators to the subway will be on your left-hand side near the exit doors at the end of the hall.

Holy crap, this is what I'm going to do. Thank you so much.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Holy crap, this is what I'm going to do. Thank you so much.

Alternatively, you can skip grand central altogether, and just walk from Penn a few avenues over to whichever station with a 6 is closest. 33rd and Park, I think. Depending on the weather, this could be a lot simpler.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

bam thwok posted:

Alternatively, you can skip grand central altogether, and just walk from Penn a few avenues over to whichever station with a 6 is closest. 33rd and Park, I think. Depending on the weather, this could be a lot simpler.

Yeah, this is your best bet if you don't need to go to Grand Central for some reason. Walking from Penn Station over to 33rd & Park takes less than 15 minutes. And then you can wave since I'm right by that 6 stop.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

TheEye posted:

Yeah, this is your best bet if you don't need to go to Grand Central for some reason. Walking from Penn Station over to 33rd & Park takes less than 15 minutes. And then you can wave since I'm right by that 6 stop.

bam thwok posted:

This is much better. I'm gonna do this instead. It's gonna be a lot faster too from the look of it.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

This is much better. I'm gonna do this instead. It's gonna be a lot faster too from the look of it.

Eh, I think it'll take about the same amount, since during rush hour you won't have to wait more than a minute or so for transfers. But just walking to the 6 will be loads less complicated. Do that. Unless you want to go to the Zaro's/Junior's at grand central or something.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

bam thwok posted:

Eh, I think it'll take about the same amount, since during rush hour you won't have to wait more than a minute or so for transfers. But just walking to the 6 will be loads less complicated. Do that. Unless you want to go to the Zaro's/Junior's at grand central or something.

Yeah, I had no plans to do anything but get to the train and head uptown. I brought my ticket in advanced, so I have to do is drop off my coat and backpack and then head in and meet my tour group.

nWoCHRISnWo
May 4, 2009
Looking for a recommendation for a place that has a giant selection of unique beers anywhere in Manhattan.

Also, can anyone offer a suggestion or two for a half fancy kind of meal in Manhattan? I'll be vacationing with three friends for five days, all weekdays, and we'll be eating slices of pizza, food cart/truck food, deli food etc for 90% of the time. We were thinking of having one semi "nice" dinner one of the nights. Preferably Italian or American. Our budget would be around $50/person on the high end.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'd like to thank bam thwok and TheEye for that awesome suggestion on getting to the 6 on Friday. I might have waved to TheEye, but I don't know which building he was in. I got to The Met with plenty of plenty of time to spare, I didn't realize that they don't open until 10 sharp.

Also, on that note, I strongly suggest that anyone who whats to see The Met from a different angle, go do Museumhack, a smaller independent tour that isn't associated with The Met. It isn't a tour of the normal stuff that you would see at The Met, it's a unhighlights tour as they call it. You'll see stuff like chamber pots, Robert Lehman's couch and creepy rear end paintings, and other things that you'll miss walking around on your own. The company is getting ready to start another set of tours at The American Museum of Natural History soon, so you'll have more choices. From what I understand, they eventually want to end up in the Frick Collection, the Guggenheim and also The MoMA too.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a place that has a giant selection of unique beers anywhere in Manhattan.

Also, can anyone offer a suggestion or two for a half fancy kind of meal in Manhattan? I'll be vacationing with three friends for five days, all weekdays, and we'll be eating slices of pizza, food cart/truck food, deli food etc for 90% of the time. We were thinking of having one semi "nice" dinner one of the nights. Preferably Italian or American. Our budget would be around $50/person on the high end.

Do you know around where in Manhattan you'll be staying? There's a trillion great places, but it'll help to know around where might be most convenient for you.

nWoCHRISnWo
May 4, 2009

bam thwok posted:

Do you know around where in Manhattan you'll be staying? There's a trillion great places, but it'll help to know around where might be most convenient for you.

New Yorker, but we'll be in most areas of Manhattan south of Central Park at at least one point during our trip, and in Brooklyn once or twice as well.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

New Yorker, but we'll be in most areas of Manhattan south of Central Park at at least one point during our trip, and in Brooklyn once or twice as well.

The Breslin.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Anything particular for Amagansett/Mantauk? Friend's family has a place there and I wanted to know if there's any must see/eat/etc.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded
We're planning on spending a few days in NYC as part of our honeymoon. We're going to be staying at Z Hotel in Long Island City. IIRC this is a fairly safe area, but it's been at least a year since I've spent any quality time in the area -- can anyone confirm? There's an hourly shuttle into Manhattan, but the Queensboro Plaza station is only a few blocks away. Is that a reasonable walking area?

We're heading in in mid-September. Dates aren't final yet. Are there any seasonal festivals worth checking out? Craft brews, historical tours, industrial architecture, anything like that?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

SwivelTits2000 posted:

We're planning on spending a few days in NYC as part of our honeymoon. We're going to be staying at Z Hotel in Long Island City. IIRC this is a fairly safe area, but it's been at least a year since I've spent any quality time in the area -- can anyone confirm? There's an hourly shuttle into Manhattan, but the Queensboro Plaza station is only a few blocks away. Is that a reasonable walking area?

We're heading in in mid-September. Dates aren't final yet. Are there any seasonal festivals worth checking out? Craft brews, historical tours, industrial architecture, anything like that?

If the two of you are into museums at all, I highly recommend MuseumHack, which is a unhighlights tour of The Met that runs Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, but there is a Tuesday tour one and a while. The tour will show you the stuff that you would normally pass up or miss if you were walking around by yourself. It's $40 but it's worth it. They also run a longer tour that lasts 3 hours (the normal one is 2 hours) and is done on Friday nights during the met's late night. It's $80 and has either champagne or beer before hand.

The feast of san genaro should be going on at that time too, that's always a fun thing to experience if you haven't.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

If the two of you are into museums at all, I highly recommend MuseumHack, which is a unhighlights tour of The Met that runs Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, but there is a Tuesday tour one and a while. The tour will show you the stuff that you would normally pass up or miss if you were walking around by yourself. It's $40 but it's worth it. They also run a longer tour that lasts 3 hours (the normal one is 2 hours) and is done on Friday nights during the met's late night. It's $80 and has either champagne or beer before hand.

The feast of san genaro should be going on at that time too, that's always a fun thing to experience if you haven't.

MuseumHack looks VERY interesting - thanks! And for some reason I thought San Genaro was in October, but you're right, it's right around the time we'll be there. Here's hoping the calendar lines up.

What was the name of the performance art that is a self-paced walk through an "abandoned" hotel? I can visualize the website but I can't remember what it's called.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like Sleep No More.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

SwivelTits2000 posted:

We're going to be staying at Z Hotel in Long Island City. IIRC this is a fairly safe area, but it's been at least a year since I've spent any quality time in the area -- can anyone confirm? There's an hourly shuttle into Manhattan, but the Queensboro Plaza station is only a few blocks away. Is that a reasonable walking area?

It's not a fantastic neighborhood, but it's no slum either. As long as you have even the tiniest amount of common sense, you should be fine.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sounds like Sleep No More.

That's it! Thanks!

inklesspen posted:

It's not a fantastic neighborhood, but it's no slum either. As long as you have even the tiniest amount of common sense, you should be fine.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

SwivelTits2000 posted:

MuseumHack looks VERY interesting - thanks! And for some reason I thought San Genaro was in October, but you're right, it's right around the time we'll be there. Here's hoping the calendar lines up.

What was the name of the performance art that is a self-paced walk through an "abandoned" hotel? I can visualize the website but I can't remember what it's called.

Sleep no more is awesome. Just don't count on being together.

• Locked thread