Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

That event chain is definitely one of my favorites. I got it as the Byz too ("Rodanthe the Maid," in my game) within like five minutes since you start at war in the start I picked, which was a nice surprise.

Are there any limits on it? Like, is it restricted to Christians or can a Persian girl decide to kick rear end in Ahura Mazda's name?

I've gotten it as a Norse pagan, but only after reforming the faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
My greatest irritation with CK2 is that both Joan of Arc and Vlad the Impaler are within the timeframe the game covers, but not within the timeframe of the selectable starts.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I haven't played CK2 in months and i want to play again but as always it's not obvious what the 'new' dlcs actually add to the game in term of actual gameplay. What is the "for Dlc owner only" content in Sons of Abraham beside the College of Cardinals and playing as a jew? Unique events? Are the pilgrimages DLC only or not?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think SoA is mostly DLC only stuff. The events and pilgrimages are. I think a lot of the free stuff was just the actual inclusion of Jews in the first place and some minor gameplay tweaks.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
The big thing added to the base game with SoA was probably that the AI can actually bother to make antipopes now, and it seems like heresies tend to spread a lot more than they used to.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Captain Novolin posted:

The big thing added to the base game with SoA was probably that the AI can actually bother to make antipopes now, and it seems like heresies tend to spread a lot more than they used to.

and some changes to the way heresies work, like the ability to have female generals as Cathar heretics.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

I've just had to assassinate my son.

My long-lived Emperor of Russia just died, leaving everything to his son, who was in his 40s with only a daughter. I wanted a son; my wife was too old, but I took a few concubines from my prison. My wife died and I took a nice young replacement, which I thought would speed up the process. Then of course I fell in love with my wife and the sex was so good I died.

Playing as the daughter, the new Empress, I found that I had a normal marriage and a son outside my dynasty, which because everything was on primogeniture would lead to a game over if I died. So naturally I divorced my husband, married matrilinearly, and had my son murdered.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

double nine posted:

and some changes to the way heresies work, like the ability to have female generals female EVERYTHING (councilors, generals and absolute cognatic) as Cathar heretics.

Fixed that for you.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Disappointing egg posted:

My long-lived Emperor of Russia just died, leaving everything to his son, who was in his 40s with only a daughter. I wanted a son; my wife was too old, but I took a few concubines from my prison. My wife died and I took a nice young replacement, which I thought would speed up the process. Then of course I fell in love with my wife and the sex was so good I died.

Playing as the daughter, the new Empress, I found that I had a normal marriage and a son outside my dynasty, which because everything was on primogeniture would lead to a game over if I died. So naturally I divorced my husband, married matrilinearly, and had my son murdered.

Couldn't you just force him to take the vows?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

If your Empress was Ivana the IV this would be even better.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

This is why you always marry your eldest daughter matrilineally, especially if you haven't got a son.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

Couldn't you just force him to take the vows?

He was 0 years old and Reformed Slavic, so I don't think so!

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
New dev diary up!. Decadence revamp, diplomatic range and Steam integration.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.
The new borders of Egypt look pretty.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Dutchfool posted:

Spoken like a true Paradox fan. Disregard new mechanics and content, focus on the prettiness of the borders.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Did we need another way for a stack of dudes to show up demanding a title?

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

e X posted:

Spoken like a true Paradox fan. Disregard new mechanics and content, focus on the prettiness of the borders.

Haha pretty much. :) I'm loving the decadence rework though, muslims will become playable again.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dutchfool posted:

Where do you see new borders for Egypt? In the EU4 map? (I don't have any EU game.)

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Torrannor posted:

Where do you see new borders for Egypt? In the EU4 map? (I don't have any EU game.)

In the screenshot with the Abbasid emperor. You can see the western edge of Egypt has become a smooth, nice edge. I looked at the stream Paradox did earlier again and it confirms the change. It looks much better now I think.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh wow, I have an especially vindictive Byzantine Emperor in my current game. He castrated all rebels who fought for elective monarchy, including that one celibate doux! And he is only 11!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I've just been having a really dramatic game as the Rurikids. Start the game by assassinating Rurik's Slavic Pagan son, to keep everything Norse. Then Rurik quickly expands and forms the Kingdom of Rus. Rurik gets some event troops and ships now so everything is much easier with being able to raid Rome and Venice for fast money. Then Rurik dies.

Then his son dies and his daughter inherits. Then she dies in childbirth and her newborn son inherits. He would live until he was about sixty, and spend almost his entire life at war. Lurching from civil war to invasion to revolt. Losing the throne to his aunt, the Duchess of Moscow. Then watching as she loses the throne to a Finnish Duchess. Then finally regaining the throne and sacrificing the Finnish usurper to the gods. I've finally stabilised the realm when my guy dies and his son inherits.

It's amazing how much harder being Norse is when you don't have any boats (somewhere along the line I lost my free event boats). If I had boats a little bit of raiding would have given me enough cash for mercs and I would have crushed these rebels rather than waiting an eternity for my levies to replenish. And letting one of Rurik's sons inherit Moscow was a big mistake, it led to decades of civil war and losing much of the kingdom to opportunistic neighbours. And having lots of wrong religion wrong culture vassals is never helpful.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Zoinker posted:

New dev diary up!. Decadence revamp, diplomatic range and Steam integration.

The diplo range screen showed off Court Imam Sirhan of Sirhan Emirate and now weird scenarios are going on in my head.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Yeah. Being a pagan in the early stages always is a pain if your rules dies quickly. Right now the North Korea mode is still viable though, this will make your start significantly easier if you decide to use it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So after my oddly long-lived king, who I thought was going to gently caress things up because he was slow, before getting the nickname 'The Great' in his 60's, died, he outlived his daughter and his granddaughter, both of whom had been groomed to be diplomats like my other rulers, his grandson, with great stewardship but less than average diplomacy, took over, and almost immediately faced a large revolt. And by large I mean every single one of my vassals large. I was able to fight them off with mercs (I pretty much lost my retinue when I walked it into a province right as a 'Vultures flock to the rebels banner' event), and then banished almost all of them (it felt wrong to banish my 13 year old cousin or whatever, so I just revoked his title). My new guys seem to like me, hopefully that lasts.

My new king's son is now being educated by a Grey Eminence, so hopefully my next succession isn't so hectic.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm just getting back into CK2 after playing EU4 for a few months, did they change rebels at all? Liberation armies, religious revolts, etc all seem to be way stronger than I remembered and they frankly feel kinda "bullshit" since every rebel stack so far has spawned with way more dudes than I have combined max levies. I don't understand why I can relatively easily put down an organized mass rebellion of half my dukes, but one of my two Irish provinces suddenly spawns a Liberation army that I cannot possibly beat, even with mercenaries.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

I'm just getting back into CK2 after playing EU4 for a few months, did they change rebels at all? Liberation armies, religious revolts, etc all seem to be way stronger than I remembered and they frankly feel kinda "bullshit" since every rebel stack so far has spawned with way more dudes than I have combined max levies. I don't understand why I can relatively easily put down an organized mass rebellion of half my dukes, but one of my two Irish provinces suddenly spawns a Liberation army that I cannot possibly beat, even with mercenaries.

Vassal levies have been heavily nerfed. That said, event spawns (including rebels) should be based on your max levies, and even if you're having trouble, mercs weren't nerfed so they're relatively a whole lot stronger. How big are your levies, and how big are these rebel stacks that even your combined levies plus mercenaries can't beat them?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When did vassal levies get nerfed? And why?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Arglebargle III posted:

When did vassal levies get nerfed? And why?

Sons of Abraham. So that huge non de jure empire aren't as immensely powerful as they were before, and could be taken down by smaller but more closely knit kingdoms.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

But they can still have 60,000 retinue guys?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes, retinues are still too powerful. I think they should cost money even when full (but less than they cost while reinforcing).

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Pellisworth posted:

There are now, let's say, compelling reasons to keep track of your various revolt risks and to reassign your marshal when necessary.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Retinues weren't changed. It's just that instead of having 60k retinues and 500k levies, a mega-empire might only have 60k retinues and 150k levies. The mega-empire is still the toughest around, but it's got less of a troop advantage over the second strongest realm, and its vassals' relative strength is higher. The levy nerf works by severely penalizing levies outside of your primary title's de jure lands, which means there's now massive diminishing returns on expansion, much higher risk from both vassal rebellions and revolt events, and mercs/holy orders are relatively stronger.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

HenessyHero posted:

There are now, let's say, compelling reasons to keep track of your various revolt risks and to reassign your marshal when necessary.

Does this affect your "massive professional armies vultures and brigands flock to your enemy" event?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Arglebargle III posted:

Does this affect your "massive professional armies vultures and brigands flock to your enemy" event?

I wasn't playing the game at the time so I have no basis for the comparison, but if you're asking "are they utter and complete bullshit that allow tiny vassals to challenge your authority for every little complaint you don't immediately Spymaster-stomp down" the answer is yes, yes they are.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

To be clear, I mean does your Marshall's suppress revolts ability work on factions and pissy vassals and not just affect peasant revolt chances?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think there is a critical interface feature missing. I don't get a message when my ward grows up and becomes an adult if the ward is not of my dynasty. I subjugated most of the Russian and Tartarian Empire, and am currently in the progress to educate the heirs of my many Finnish, Estonian, Russian etc. dukes into proper Norsemen, but I never know when my wards reach adulthood. I searched through the message setting and just cannot find anything to change that. And it drives me mad, not only because I have to bookmark the characters to remember which people I educated, but also because I always have to check how old they are. It's maddening.

catlord posted:

So after my oddly long-lived king, who I thought was going to gently caress things up because he was slow, before getting the nickname 'The Great' in his 60's, died, he outlived his daughter and his granddaughter, both of whom had been groomed to be diplomats like my other rulers, his grandson, with great stewardship but less than average diplomacy, took over, and almost immediately faced a large revolt. And by large I mean every single one of my vassals large. I was able to fight them off with mercs (I pretty much lost my retinue when I walked it into a province right as a 'Vultures flock to the rebels banner' event), and then banished almost all of them (it felt wrong to banish my 13 year old cousin or whatever, so I just revoked his title). My new guys seem to like me, hopefully that lasts.

My new king's son is now being educated by a Grey Eminence, so hopefully my next succession isn't so hectic.

I like that diplomacy is no longer the most important score in all cases. Since your personal levies are heavily influenced by your own martial score, and faction strength is checked against your number of troops, a high martial score will prevent more faction revolts than a high diplomacy score, except if you have a huge empire. In the case described above, I doubt a higher diplomacy education would have stopped more than a few of the vassals from joining the rebellion; and while a high martial score would not have prevented it either, he would have been in a much stronger position because of the bigger number of troops. To put it this way: I would take a 15 martial 5 diplomacy heir over a 15 diplomacy 5 martial heir in nearly all cases.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Arglebargle III posted:

To be clear, I mean does your Marshall's suppress revolts ability work on factions and pissy vassals and not just affect peasant revolt chances?

It doesn't.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
For the second time in the last few days I saw the AI release the enemy Caliph upon capturing him!! :psypop: WHY?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Given how incredible unlikely peasant revolts are even under the new system, doesn't that make the option kind of superfluous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

e X posted:

Given how incredible unlikely peasant revolts are even under the new system, doesn't that make the option kind of superfluous?

That option also gives you an increased chance to imprison, so it's good in the end.

• Locked thread