Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Phlegmish posted:

I think back in the nineties quite a few starry-eyed pro-European idealists were dreaming of Russia eventually joining the EU. Obviously, it's out of the question now.

Aerobiz Supersonic had Russia joining the EU as one of the events in the Future Scenario. Also nothing bad happens to the airline industry in the distant future date of Fall 2001.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

chairface posted:

Aerobiz Supersonic had Russia joining the EU as one of the events in the Future Scenario. Also nothing bad happens to the airline industry in the distant future date of Fall 2001.

As long as the EU doesn't collapse, then I don't see why Russia cannot join in the future? Just another 50 years could massively change things.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Torrannor posted:

As long as the EU doesn't collapse, then I don't see why Russia cannot join in the future? Just another 50 years could massively change things.

I doubt the EU would be comfortable sharing a border with China.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Even Russia must bow before the might of Greater Turkiye.

Might as well go the whole nine yards and annex Korea and Japan. :unsmigghh:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I love the tiny mspaint arrow in Scandinavia. It's little details like that that show you that a lot of work went into this

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
They can't even exert political control their own little peninsula.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Also any conspiracy theory worth its salt has to involve the moai at some point. That's a fact.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

What am I looking at here?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

What am I looking at here?

"World colonies of the Korean people"

e: Including highlights such as Wessex deriving from Usan and the sphinx being the same as this guy

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Of course the ancient Egyptians were Korean. Common knowledge.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Are these South Koreans being crazy or North Korean propagandists being crazy?

Because I can understand the latter given they talked about Kim Jong Ill finding unicorns and poo poo, but can't really wrap my head around the South having people putting out that sort of crazy. I mean sure, claim Japan, claim China as some sort of crazy Greater Korea, but England? :wtc:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

SorcerousHam posted:

Are these South Koreans being crazy or North Korean propagandists being crazy?

Because I can understand the latter given they talked about Kim Jong Ill finding unicorns and poo poo, but can't really wrap my head around the South having people putting out that sort of crazy. I mean sure, claim Japan, claim China as some sort of crazy Greater Korea, but England? :wtc:

Nationalist Koreans insist they invented everything. Hanzi are a bastardization of Hangul, etc.

Check out this cute parody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiLA6Bk_ivs

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
:stare:

My mind has been opened to a whole new world of crazy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

South Korea has way more entertaining crazy than the US, that's for sure. The Mr. Pizza thing was one of the most hilarious bits of satire I've ever seen here, but there are lots of people here who say/believe similarly idiotic things and are 100% serious.

Even the national museum in Seoul has some comical maps of ancient Korea that are far beyond anything that could be reasonably supported. Not quite claiming Sumerians were Koreans and therefore Korea invented writing, but still amusing. There's a museum in my city that says Koreans invented whaling 10,000 years ago, among other things.

Someone in one of the Japan threads here called Korea a "shoebox full of fire ants with a massive inferiority complex", which is a fairly accurate statement and explains a lot of the Korean internet. Koreans claiming to have invented everything is a common joke in east Asia.

My favorite part of the map claims is that, as best as I can tell, literally all of it is based on "place that sounds vaguely like a place mentioned in an ancient Korean book, therefore it was part of a vast prehistoric Korean empire". Like Sumeria sounding vaguely like Sumiliguk.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
What's with Moai-statues on that map?

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Kamrat posted:

What's with Moai-statues on that map?

Koreans built them, duh.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Looks like greater Austria to me.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Corny posted:

Koreans built them, duh.

But do they have any reason for saying that or is it just "These are cool, so of course we made them! No one else would think up something like this other than the glorious nation of Korea" :smug:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jeju has statues that sort of vaguely resemble Moai. That's what the caption talks about.

The Jeju ones are giant dicks though. Like intentionally.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

cheerfullydrab posted:

Korea is larger than Great Britain, look at all the improbable poo poo people from that island controlled and do control. I'm not saying they are right, I'm saying the world that actually was was that insane.

Are you suggesting that the technologies that enabled control of 1/4 of the world by a tiny island population were around in 7000BC and then everyone just forgot?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I love when the people who makes maps like these just lumps "no data" together with the lowest percentage. Because making a separate category and marking "no data" as grey or striped is just too much work.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hell yeah. :911:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Someday, someday by god the American flag shall wave from galaxy to shining galaxy.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dutchfool posted:

Looks like greater Austria to me.

That's greater Austria-Hungary to you, bub.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Dusseldorf posted:

That's greater Austria-Hungary to you, bub.

Q: What's the easiest way to make a Hungarian cry?
A:

:cry: Treaty of Trianon :cry:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Lacks territory annexed/given in a plebiscite to Austria.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Thanks man. Never knew these existed, they look kind of cool.

But they don't really resemble Moai other than having no legs and being made from stone so I don't really get why some crazy conspiracy nuts believe they're related.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
How do modern Austrians feel about the Austria-Hungary? I don't think I have ever came across any Austrian irredentism even on the Paradox forums.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Lord Tywin posted:

How do modern Austrians feel about the Austria-Hungary? I don't think I have ever came across any Austrian irredentism even on the Paradox forums.

Austrians irredentists want Sudtirol, if anything. They got most of their ethnic lands.

The Hungarians, though...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kavak posted:

Austrians irredentists want Sudtirol, if anything. They got most of their ethnic lands.

The Hungarians, though...

I visited Salzburg a few years and found the sheer number of 'Sudtirol is Austrian' stickers plastered amazing. Also hilarious.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ulvir posted:

I love when the people who makes maps like these just lumps "no data" together with the lowest percentage. Because making a separate category and marking "no data" as grey or striped is just too much work.

I noticed that too, it's just bad practice.

I wonder if a significant percentage of Koreans actually believes Hwandan Gogi, I'd assume it sounds crazy even to sheltered nationalists.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kamrat posted:

crazy conspiracy nuts

You answered yourself I think.

It's a fringe thing in Korea, not widely believed. There are other, less obviously insane but still comically wrong things that are much more widely believed.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I visited Salzburg a few years and found the sheer number of 'Sudtirol is Austrian' stickers plastered amazing. Also hilarious.

I find this much more reasonable than basically any other nationalist/irredentist claim. If the people of Südtirol would support an union with Austria, they should have the option to join them.

Not that I want our southern cousins to get any bigger. Although, if they took Bavaria off our hands in exchange for getting Südtirol I would be OK with it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friends used to host a lot of students, mostly Korean and Japanese. They all "believed" a lot of really weird racist/nationalist garbage. Like if pressed they'd say obviously it's not "factually" true but it "could" be true. This was specially true for the Koreans. Like they knew stuff like this most likely was based on absolutely nothing, but they liked the idea, it was comforting and tied into the notion that Koreans are a special and unique pure race of humans who, other than a brief period of enslavement under the Japanese, have been the greatest most developed culture in history. Like many would think "Well obviously this theory is just total made up bullshit, but if there was ever an ancient world-spanning empire that touched all cultures it would totally obviously have been we Koreans, that much is at least true."

It's like they want it to be true, so they sort of "emotionally believe" a lot of this sort of stuff while intellectually not. Obviously this is just anecdotes from the Koreans I've met, but I've heard the same things from friends who went there to work.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Torrannor posted:

I find this much more reasonable than basically any other nationalist/irredentist claim. If the people of Südtirol would support an union with Austria, they should have the option to join them.

Not that I want our southern cousins to get any bigger. Although, if they took Bavaria off our hands in exchange for getting Südtirol I would be OK with it.

Just let the Bavarians have their own state, problem solved.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iiv-6fMKyY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

So America and a few islands? Call that an empire?

:britain: