Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004
Taking the short wagon since 1885

some loving LIAR posted:

If you've got prior roleplaying experience, I think the core book is a safe place to start.

I would actually change this to 'if your group has prior roleplaying experience, the core book is a safe place to start'.

4 out of the 6 players at my table had never played an RPG before, and we'll all ridiculously busy adult types (mostly), so most of them weren't too keen on spending time creating a character. Having the character folios is great - they do a great job at giving you a well-rounded group to start and are fantastic at explaining what all the relevant skills are, along with how to spend XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Wanted Ghost Coon. Cannot be treed or trapped. Reward Ghost Coon Skin Cap!
Fun Shoe
I too recommend the Beginner box as a good way to start. That's how my current crew began the game, and it makes it simple to ease into the system for new role players. I also had 4 out of 6 players completely unfamiliar with table top role playing and all of them enjoyed having things spoon fed over the adventure rather than having to scramble for information out of the core book.

Especially when you factor in that you get a complete set of dice which would normally cost you 13-14 bucks on Amazon as of my last check, you're basically getting a toe in the water for 10 bucks which should be more than enough to tell you if you'd want to go big with the core book later on.

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004

The Wolfen posted:

I too recommend the Beginner box as a good way to start. That's how my current crew began the game, and it makes it simple to ease into the system for new role players. I also had 4 out of 6 players completely unfamiliar with table top role playing and all of them enjoyed having things spoon fed over the adventure rather than having to scramble for information out of the core book.

Especially when you factor in that you get a complete set of dice which would normally cost you 13-14 bucks on Amazon as of my last check, you're basically getting a toe in the water for 10 bucks which should be more than enough to tell you if you'd want to go big with the core book later on.

Exactly. Between the beginner box and the follow-up free adventures, there's more than enough to run with for at least 4-6 sessions.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4683

:eyepop:

Those maps :allears:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I would love to buy a big pack of maps of generic locales that would likely come up in an improvised campaign. A couple of cantinas, markets, spaceports, etc. And a wad of ship layouts.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I would love to buy a big pack of maps of generic locales that would likely come up in an improvised campaign. A couple of cantinas, markets, spaceports, etc. And a wad of ship layouts.

I was actually just beginning to sift through the things on DriveThruRPG for this very reason. If the characters get captured, it would be nice to have a prison transport map for them to commandeer, or a military base to break out of.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I've scanned some of mine for use on Roll20. PM me if you want them!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The Wolfen posted:

My only gripe with the beginner box is that the pregen characters aren't ready for the real game. The don't have obligation, which isn't mentioned at all in the beginner box, and their talent trees don't match up with any of the actual classes in the core book. If you like your pregen character and want to keep playing with it using the real rules you have to re-create them in-line with the core rulebook, they don't immediately transfer over.

Other than those relatively small issues, it's probably the best and most complete boxed product FFG has put out in years.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 7, 2014

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Fun Shoe

Cactrot posted:

My only gripe with the beginner box is that the pregen characters aren't ready for the real game. The don't have obligation, which isn't mentioned at all in the beginner box, and their talent trees don't match up with any of the actual classes in the core book. If you like your pregen character and want to keep playing with it using the real rules you have to re-create them in-line with the core rulebook, they don't immediately transfer over.

Other than those relatively small issues, it's probably the best and most complete boxed product FFG has put out in years.

Yeah, I understand that complaint. It's one of the major reasons I don't care to pick up the Age of Rebellion beginner box now that I've got the core book for EotE. I already have complete characters playing in my game, so I'll just let them start taking some of the careers and specializations from the AoR core book when it comes out this summer.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to ease them into their role as Rebel soldiers when that time comes, but figure I will probably give them a free career/specialization a la char gen in EotE when the new book comes out and RP it as though they are being drafted into the Alliance officially. Most of my players want to become soldiers and what not eventually anyway, so I think that will play out more or less like it did for Han, Luke, and Lando in the films. They were still the people they were before but now they had access to weapons and training they wouldn't have had just living their lives on their own.

I do want that map of the Rebel base though. That thing looks sweet and would probably be great for some missions later down the line.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

The Wolfen posted:

Yeah, I understand that complaint. It's one of the major reasons I don't care to pick up the Age of Rebellion beginner box now that I've got the core book for EotE. I already have complete characters playing in my game, so I'll just let them start taking some of the careers and specializations from the AoR core book when it comes out this summer.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to ease them into their role as Rebel soldiers when that time comes, but figure I will probably give them a free career/specialization a la char gen in EotE when the new book comes out and RP it as though they are being drafted into the Alliance officially. Most of my players want to become soldiers and what not eventually anyway, so I think that will play out more or less like it did for Han, Luke, and Lando in the films. They were still the people they were before but now they had access to weapons and training they wouldn't have had just living their lives on their own.

I do want that map of the Rebel base though. That thing looks sweet and would probably be great for some missions later down the line.

There's a whole system for adding a new Specialization with experience, including a non-class one. Just treat AoR classes like anything else and let them buy whatever they want.

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

There's a whole system for adding a new Specialization with experience, including a non-class one. Just treat AoR classes like anything else and let them buy whatever they want.

Right, I thought about leaving it like that, but think they'd be more likely to keep spending points in an old specialization if that were the case. They'll want to keep getting better at what they're already good at rather than adding something completely new that might cost a ton of points by then.

I figured just giving them a free career/specialization in the AoR system would be like recruiting them into the Army and saying yes you're a good pilot, but now you're a Rebel Navy Pilot. It would be like conferring a rank on them, pushing them towards the formality of fighting as a military force rather than just a bunch of ragtag smugglers getting into firefights on their own.

My players are super conscious of what actions they use in sessions, which affects how they spend XP they gain at the end. Even if they really need better Ranged Heavy skills to be effective with the weapon they just got, they won't spend the points until they've sucked at using it for a full session. Maybe they're a lot heavier into the RP than the G of the whole thing, but they don't want experiences to be based off what's best in the form of gameplay, but what's most indicative of their actual character's development over the session.

This is my first system to run for longer than a few sessions so I don't know if that's unusual for players to pursue or not. Maybe most groups just push for being super bad rear end at one thing immediately regardless if it makes sense from a character perspective.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Wolfen posted:

Right, I thought about leaving it like that, but think they'd be more likely to keep spending points in an old specialization if that were the case. They'll want to keep getting better at what they're already good at rather than adding something completely new that might cost a ton of points by then.

I figured just giving them a free career/specialization in the AoR system would be like recruiting them into the Army and saying yes you're a good pilot, but now you're a Rebel Navy Pilot. It would be like conferring a rank on them, pushing them towards the formality of fighting as a military force rather than just a bunch of ragtag smugglers getting into firefights on their own.

My players are super conscious of what actions they use in sessions, which affects how they spend XP they gain at the end. Even if they really need better Ranged Heavy skills to be effective with the weapon they just got, they won't spend the points until they've sucked at using it for a full session. Maybe they're a lot heavier into the RP than the G of the whole thing, but they don't want experiences to be based off what's best in the form of gameplay, but what's most indicative of their actual character's development over the session.

This is my first system to run for longer than a few sessions so I don't know if that's unusual for players to pursue or not. Maybe most groups just push for being super bad rear end at one thing immediately regardless if it makes sense from a character perspective.

Another way to look at starting career is "this is what the player believes is the core of the character". I don't think opening a new AoR specialization (not career!) for free is game-breaking, but if they wanted their character to be THAT kind of thing, they would have started there, you know? Also, the AoR specializations are neither at odds with nor crazily different from their EotE analogs, so they might just go with more of the same that they're already doing.

Opening a whole second career gives them access to another set of signature moves, which could be game-bending at the least, so I don't recommend that.

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

Another way to look at starting career is "this is what the player believes is the core of the character". I don't think opening a new AoR specialization (not career!) for free is game-breaking, but if they wanted their character to be THAT kind of thing, they would have started there, you know? Also, the AoR specializations are neither at odds with nor crazily different from their EotE analogs, so they might just go with more of the same that they're already doing.

Opening a whole second career gives them access to another set of signature moves, which could be game-bending at the least, so I don't recommend that.

Ok, yeah that makes sense. I hadn't really thought about the possibility of future signature moves way on down the line. Since my characters are in for the long haul they will still be their same character they started back in October when they take on AoR specializations (barring unfortunate circumstances at least), so I was trying to figure out a way for them to be formally recruited into the Rebel Alliance military without taking from them the character they believe themselves to be.

Han was a smuggler scoundrel because he chose to be, but the Alliance made him a general. He chose to act out that position, but he didn't ask for them to make him one. Thanks for the insight on handing stuff out though, I really appreciate it especially since this is my first time running any kind of long spanning campaign.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Wolfen posted:

Ok, yeah that makes sense. I hadn't really thought about the possibility of future signature moves way on down the line. Since my characters are in for the long haul they will still be their same character they started back in October when they take on AoR specializations (barring unfortunate circumstances at least), so I was trying to figure out a way for them to be formally recruited into the Rebel Alliance military without taking from them the character they believe themselves to be.

Han was a smuggler scoundrel because he chose to be, but the Alliance made him a general. He chose to act out that position, but he didn't ask for them to make him one. Thanks for the insight on handing stuff out though, I really appreciate it especially since this is my first time running any kind of long spanning campaign.

I think the addition of Duty while they still have Obligation is the real line that gets crossed. Giving them a Duty stat and, like, codenames or something would be a great transition point. They'd still have to do things to pay down Obligation, and might even take on more in the course of aiding the Rebellion.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Starship mechanics question. According to the table, it seems if someone is trying to repair the ship they choose either system strain or hull points. Mechanics check based on current status of ship, and then is it each Success rolled is +1 repaired, with Advantage basically useless (barring some kind of GM bonus to a different roll or story element)?

Someone was making the argument that as written it could be taken that only ONE point of damage is all that can be repaired if the check is successful, per turn. Or in the case of hull trauma per encounter.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

My players are bad at managing their obligation, which means a Moff who's in the process of executing his own Project Valkyrie is sending the players to the Emperor's secret base on Byss.

Byss is full of giant monsters and force-beasts, but the monster section in the core book is mostly humanoids... where can I find non-Dianoga monster stat blocks to harass the players?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

There are a couple of non humanoid monsters in the Beyond the Rim adventure, but there's only a few times you can throw a Nexu with telekenisis at your guys.

Sergeant Baboon
Jan 2, 2013

I'm interested in this game but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Reading through the rules, what strikes me is how incredibly cumbersome the dice pool system appears to be. It seems like it would really halt gameplay to gather all the correct dice and then interpret all of the different little symbols everytime Jimmy wants to try and hack a terminal. Is it better in practice than it is in theory?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Sergeant Baboon posted:

I'm interested in this game but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Reading through the rules, what strikes me is how incredibly cumbersome the dice pool system appears to be. It seems like it would really halt gameplay to gather all the correct dice and then interpret all of the different little symbols everytime Jimmy wants to try and hack a terminal. Is it better in practice than it is in theory?

It becomes a communal event that everyone is engaged in. When Timmy hacks a terminal, he gathers up the dice, rolls them, and when the slow realization dawns that not only did he fail, but failed SPECTACULARLY, everyone mocks him for being so terrible. The GM gets to figure out what those failures mean, while the rest of the group throws terrible suggestions to really rub it in. The same goes when you succeed and end up with tons of advantage. The "waiting for my turn" is minimized because every roll is theater and giving your friends poo poo is awesome.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Sergeant Baboon posted:

Yeah. It's pretty simple really. You already know your skill dice. GM adds difficulty/challenge dice. Sometimes there are bonuses and/or setbacks, those get added to the pool as needed. Then you just roll and look at the results. You don't have to add or subtract numbers in your head (or anywhere else). It's actually faster than D&D (any edition) because you don't need to remember all the pluses, minuses, and "to hit" values. Also way easier than Shadowrun (which is overly complex on purpose I believe).

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

Sergeant Baboon posted:

Also, at the risk of harping on an artifact of language rather than a legitimate issue, you shouldn't be using the rules system "everytime Jimmy wants to try and hack," but only when it's narratively interesting. If there's nothing at stake, don't bother, just adjudicate.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sergeant Baboon posted:

I'm interested in this game but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Reading through the rules, what strikes me is how incredibly cumbersome the dice pool system appears to be. It seems like it would really halt gameplay to gather all the correct dice and then interpret all of the different little symbols every time Jimmy wants to try and hack a terminal. Is it better in practice than it is in theory?

Also also, you can use an app or plug-in to have it summarize the final success/advantage count for you, so you really only need to interpret a max of three symbols (since there are six possible symbols and they cancel out). Everyone's character sheet tells them "their half" of the dice pool for every skill, so it's just the GM half and modifiers to add. Remember that one roll to hack the terminal is taking the place of several checks, or separate rolls for attacks and parries/dodges, so . . . I dunno. I can see how somebody wouldn't like it, but again, the interpretation is collaborative ("how should I spend the advantage?").

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Also, at the risk of harping on an artifact of language rather than a legitimate issue, you shouldn't be using the rules system "everytime Jimmy wants to try and hack," but only when it's narratively interesting. If there's nothing at stake, don't bother, just adjudicate.

Yeah, I tend to follow the WoD style auto success rules... when it's a relatively simple task and the character has a reasonable skill level, you just let them do it for the sake of good flow in the narrative. Really speeds along the gameplay to what actually matters.

Sergeant Baboon
Jan 2, 2013

Lunatic Pathos posted:

No you're absolutely right, I was being maybe a bit too dramatic in order to prove my point.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."
Anyone have any idea when the jewel of yavin is coming? It says march but I haven't seen any solid dates.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Huntsekker posted:

Anyone have any idea when the jewel of yavin is coming? It says march but I haven't seen any solid dates.

Its a Fantasy Flight Games product, imagine a reasonable date in your head, roll a d4, add that many months. You will now be somewhere in the ballpark.

Funktastic Dog
Nov 8, 2011

by Ralp

jivjov posted:

Its a Fantasy Flight Games product, imagine a reasonable date in your head, roll a d4, add that many months. You will now be somewhere in the ballpark.

Some FFG games come out within a month of their release, others sit on the "at the printers" stage for months, and others come out normally and are never reissued.

It's pure chance, it's not even related to what game it is.

For instance, Shield of Humanity and Tome of Decay are both predicted for Q2 2014.

Shield of Humanity was announced mid december, Tome of Decay was announced yesterday, both are for the same product line, 40krpg.

Funktastic Dog fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 12, 2014

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004

Springfield Fatts posted:

Starship mechanics question. According to the table, it seems if someone is trying to repair the ship they choose either system strain or hull points. Mechanics check based on current status of ship, and then is it each Success rolled is +1 repaired, with Advantage basically useless (barring some kind of GM bonus to a different roll or story element)?

Someone was making the argument that as written it could be taken that only ONE point of damage is all that can be repaired if the check is successful, per turn. Or in the case of hull trauma per encounter.

Oddly enough was just listening to the Order 66 podcast, it's +1 hull trauma per success. So you could repair a bunch of hull in one good roll.

The dice are the best part of this game - my players were trying to break into a vent in the ceiling and had piled crates up to it, so they could sneak into the imperial hangar next door. The player rolled a mechanics check and succeeded with a triumph. I had the Imperial officer who was working in the hangar next door come in to check on the shipments, stop and stare at the characters as they worked on the vent without noticing him. Suddenly the vent cover gives and comes flying off, smacking the officer in the nose, dealing strain to him and he falls flat on his butt. The droid doctor who had just opened the vent then did a flying WWE style elbow drop and knocked him flat.

It was amazing. Any other system, it would have been 'yes, you opened the vent'.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
My players did something similar, except instead of a enemy standing on the other side they found out lovely engineers accidentally put security camera power cords through the vent.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Amish Retard posted:

Oddly enough was just listening to the Order 66 podcast, it's +1 hull trauma per success. So you could repair a bunch of hull in one good roll.

Do you know what page they were referencing?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

Do you know what page they were referencing?

PG 233: Damage Control, one hull or one strain, check the Table. Varies in difficulty.
PG 237: Manual Repairs, Hard Athletics check: one point if successful plus one point for each additional TWO successes.

You can attempt Damage Control or Manual Repairs for hull trauma once per encounter. You can attempt Damage Control for strain as many times as you want.

Order 66 is wrong, if you heard correctly.

EDIT VVVV: I knew you were probably correct, your post was just the easiest in that quote train to hit.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 13, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, that's what I thought :shobon:

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

Carteret posted:

PG 233: Damage Control, one hull or one strain, check the Table. Varies in difficulty.

See the latest FAQ http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/StarWarsRPG/edge-of-the-empire/support/SWE02_FAQ_LowRes.pdf

Page 223-334
In the Damage Control entry, the second sentence in the second paragraph should read "In general, PCs can only attempt one Damage Control check to reduce hull trauma (one per success) per encounter."

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004

Not Keyser Soze posted:

See the latest FAQ http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/StarWarsRPG/edge-of-the-empire/support/SWE02_FAQ_LowRes.pdf

Page 223-334
In the Damage Control entry, the second sentence in the second paragraph should read "In general, PCs can only attempt one Damage Control check to reduce hull trauma (one per success) per encounter."

Thank you - I think this is what they were referencing in episode 25, where they interview one of the designers of FFG and talk about all things space and starship movement/combat. It's a really solid episode for anyone trying to wrap their head around starship stuff in this game.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Page 223-334

Thanks, I should probably print that out.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I can't get enough of FFG's Star Wars art

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4698

:allears:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, that top pic is the RPG goal, attractive but sensibly dressed. No excess flesh on display, no boob plating, no peep hole top to expose cleavage.

Also, that's one happy looking Mon Calamari, and the Duros is about to make something go boom.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, that top pic is the RPG goal, attractive but sensibly dressed. No excess flesh on display, no boob plating, no peep hole top to expose cleavage.

Also, that's one happy looking Mon Calamari, and the Duros is about to make something go boom.

I actually sent FFG's art director an email the other day thanking her for not filling the book with half-naked cheesecake aliens and making it "Body Issues: the RPG". The women in FFG's art all look smart, competent, are largely built and stand/sit like actual people, dress sensibly, and are shown doing all sorts of interesting and exciting things. I don't mind my daughters looking through my books at all. Also, I love that super smug, green-skinned Twi'lek hired gun woman that keeps showing up in the art.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Played a game of this today and was pleased with how the dice worked with success/failures and advantage/threats. Had a nice shootout in a cantina with some debt collectors, faked out Imperial customs with a bluff and a quick jump to hyper, and then got bounced by pirates at our destination just so we could test out the space combat system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."
So I went to the D20 radio/ gamer nation convention yesterday and got to talk one on one with one of the creators of Edge of the Empire, Jay Little for about an hour. I just approached him and asked him about how to GM well since this was my first tabletop RPG, and we found a nice secluded spot and he gave me a ton of great ideas. He said at cons and one off events when he GMs sometimes he will just tell a group basically an endpoint or crazy circumstance and then just say " Ok, now one day earlier...." And see where they take it. Seeing how passionate he is about the system really made me want to buy pretty much anything EotE from here on out.

• Locked thread