Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Crankit posted:

Can you let us see them? I've always wanted to see inside another goon.

Enjoy a very exciting picture of my lower left leg. I personally find it creepy that there are bones inside me and thats a picture of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Looks good to me. Stop whining.

(not a doctor)

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax
What's the deal with Star Citizen? The general consensus I seem to be seeing is that it's basically an attempt to create a full-fledged sci-fi EVE-like game without any middle man and instead entirely from backers' money. Apparently it's aiming so high up the stars that even the 40$ million it has right now isn't going to make it much bigger than some kind of buggy (as in the buggy that gets stuck in that gif everybody posts about that thing) simulator or something. Am I correct on this?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Xenoborg posted:

Enjoy a very exciting picture of my lower left leg. I personally find it creepy that there are bones inside me and thats a picture of them.

It's even eerier if you get an MRI and can see slices of the meat in your leg

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Xenoborg posted:

Honestly the shape of your leg looks a little odd, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say it's because i don't see many leg x-rays. Why is it that you're going to the doctor about your leg, some kind of pain?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why is ice-cream sold by volume instead of by weight? It makes some sense to sell liquids like milk or juice by volume as that's the usual way of measuring them, but if your ice-cream is in a liquid state then you've stored it wrong.

This got me thinking so I just had a look in my fridge. Tomato sauce sold by volume, mayonnaise sold by weight. Cream by volume, yoghurt by weight. It doesn't make any sense to me. Who determines how a particular thing is measured? Is it the manufacturer? What's the reasoning behind the decision?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Why is ice-cream sold by volume instead of by weight? It makes some sense to sell liquids like milk or juice by volume as that's the usual way of measuring them, but if your ice-cream is in a liquid state then you've stored it wrong.

This got me thinking so I just had a look in my fridge. Tomato sauce sold by volume, mayonnaise sold by weight. Cream by volume, yoghurt by weight. It doesn't make any sense to me. Who determines how a particular thing is measured? Is it the manufacturer? What's the reasoning behind the decision?

Over run.

Good ice cream has less of it (air in the batch). Weigh a half galion of premium ice cream vs a cheap store brand and see the difference.

How they got away with selling it by volume in regulatory terms I can't answer, but that's the commercial reason.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Motronic posted:

How they got away with selling it by volume in regulatory terms I can't answer, but that's the commercial reason.

Because ice cream was already sold primarily by volume when the various regulatory agencies got around to standardizing how products would be sold from then on.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

I'm trying to think of examples of this trope in fiction:

Noble Hero sees Beautiful Woman and they both fall in love. Evil king sees Beautiful Woman and wants her for himself, so he takes her. Noble Hero has to find a way to rescue Beautiful Woman.

Is this kind of too vague to really call a trope/common story/whatever? Or is it not actually as common as I think and I'm just mistaken? For some reason I have this idea that it IS common but I can't seem to think of many actual examples. There's Lu Bu and Diaochan in Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, and Oroonoko and Imoinda in Oroonoko, but now I'm drawing a blank.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
The Princess Bride?
All Robin Hood movies?
Shrek?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Does anyone know a popular message board for american evangelicals?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

Does anyone know a popular message board for american evangelicals?

You are amazing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

You know how when you're looking for free software sometimes you'll find something that claims it does what you want and has a free trial version, and you only want to use it once so you figure that will be OK, but then you download it, install it, run it, often wait through a quite lengthy process, only to be told that to actually do the thing you installed it for you have to pay money?

Like, say you want to make a regular DVD you can play in a DVD player, so you find some free software for converting video files, it does the conversion, but then you find out that it has an obnoxious watermark over the screen the whole way through unless you pay for the full version.

That can't actually work, right? Please tell me no one buys that poo poo. It is the most infuriating thing and the last thing I want to do at that point is give the company that did that to me any money at all. But it seems to be really loving common. Who goes through that process, realises they've been conned, and pays up anyway? Why would anyone do that?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tiggum posted:

You know how when you're looking for free software sometimes you'll find something that claims it does what you want and has a free trial version, and you only want to use it once so you figure that will be OK, but then you download it, install it, run it, often wait through a quite lengthy process, only to be told that to actually do the thing you installed it for you have to pay money?

Like, say you want to make a regular DVD you can play in a DVD player, so you find some free software for converting video files, it does the conversion, but then you find out that it has an obnoxious watermark over the screen the whole way through unless you pay for the full version.

That can't actually work, right? Please tell me no one buys that poo poo. It is the most infuriating thing and the last thing I want to do at that point is give the company that did that to me any money at all. But it seems to be really loving common. Who goes through that process, realises they've been conned, and pays up anyway? Why would anyone do that?

Of course it works. Imagine you've done the exact thing in your example, and it's taken you two hours to find the software you think will do the job. Then, because it's bloatware, it takes 30 minutes to install and you have to go and get rid of all the extra crap and spyware that was bundled along with it (thanks cNet). Then because the included instructions are not great, it takes you another hour to figure out how to use the program, and since we're talking video conversion and preparation for burning to a DVD in this example, let's say that's another hour and a half for that part of the process.

So, you've just invested about 5 hours into this little adventure, and for just $40, you don't have to go through all that again with another piece of software. People are lazy, and most people would say "I'm not going through another 5 hours or more of that bullshit over again. Better the devil you know..."

This is especially common in video and music software in my experience.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is there an XBox 360 general gaming thread anymore? I can't see to find it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Why is :shobon: called "shobon"? What is shobon?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

an overdue owl posted:

I'm trying to think of examples of this trope in fiction:

Noble Hero sees Beautiful Woman and they both fall in love. Evil king sees Beautiful Woman and wants her for himself, so he takes her. Noble Hero has to find a way to rescue Beautiful Woman.

Is this kind of too vague to really call a trope/common story/whatever? Or is it not actually as common as I think and I'm just mistaken? For some reason I have this idea that it IS common but I can't seem to think of many actual examples. There's Lu Bu and Diaochan in Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, and Oroonoko and Imoinda in Oroonoko, but now I'm drawing a blank.

The Iliad is probably the oldest example. The general format of hero/villain/damsel is super classic melodrama, especially in Western literature. Your request is a little more specific, in that he takes the damsel away rather than, say, ruining the hero Monte Cristo style, and the hero and damsel are already in love, but not much.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

SlayVus posted:

Is there an XBox 360 general gaming thread anymore? I can't see to find it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3587864

KoB
May 1, 2009

alnilam posted:

Why is :shobon: called "shobon"? What is shobon?

Its a japanese thing I think.

e:

Dj Meow Mix posted:

It's based off this Japanese emoticon I'm guessing. (´・ω・`) Shobon roughly means depressed or down cast.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So I stream a lot of flash/mp4 video over the net from various sites. I find that I constantly accidentally close tabs with these videos in them, losing all they have buffered. Is there some sort of chrome extension that will always ask me to confirm that I want to close a page with a big flash video on it, but not on standard pages (because having to confirm each and every time I want to close a tab would be very annoying)?

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
We have a problem with cars parking illegally on our very narrow street. There is a "No Parking Here to Corner" sign about 20 feet past the end of the townhomes we live in, and marks the beginning of where you can legally park on that side of the street.

The problem is that there is a dog park on the other side of the street, and inconsiderate dickheads continually park in the no parking zone, making it nearly impossible to use our driveways. A few days ago, one of them legitimately parked in front of the driveway. There is plenty of parking on the other side of the street.

We've reported this to the local PD every time, they continue to take the report, and "dispatch" someone. Not once has an officer actually showed up before they leave (which has been over an hour in some cases).

We petitioned the city to get the sign put in in the first place, but now we can't get anyone to actually enforce it. It's very frustrating and we don't know what to do anymore. Anyone have advice?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dragyn posted:

We have a problem with cars parking illegally on our very narrow street. There is a "No Parking Here to Corner" sign about 20 feet past the end of the townhomes we live in, and marks the beginning of where you can legally park on that side of the street.

The problem is that there is a dog park on the other side of the street, and inconsiderate dickheads continually park in the no parking zone, making it nearly impossible to use our driveways. A few days ago, one of them legitimately parked in front of the driveway. There is plenty of parking on the other side of the street.

We've reported this to the local PD every time, they continue to take the report, and "dispatch" someone. Not once has an officer actually showed up before they leave (which has been over an hour in some cases).

We petitioned the city to get the sign put in in the first place, but now we can't get anyone to actually enforce it. It's very frustrating and we don't know what to do anymore. Anyone have advice?

Please do something like this.

Except with real paint.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dragyn posted:

Does your municipality have a parking authority? Cops don't give a poo poo, but the parking authority can ticket or tow cars and make money off it.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 11, 2014

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

How to you get a ten-key to enter 1.00 by pressing one zero zero instead of just one? The manual doesn't mention it.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dragyn posted:

You could also ask the PD what towing company they use. I'm sure they would love to haul away some cars that are actually parked in front of drive ways.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

You could also ask the PD what towing company they use. I'm sure they would love to haul away some cars that are actually parked in front of drive ways.
This! The towing company has a financial incentive to show up before they move.

Also, call up the parks department and see if there's anything anyone there can do to help.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

Please do something like this.

Except with real paint.

I like your enthusiasm, but in a city where you are 2.5x more likely to be the victim of a violent crime than the median in the US.. I'll pass.

PT6A posted:

Does your municipality have a parking authority? Cops don't give a poo poo, but the parking authority can ticket or tow cars and make money off it.

They do, that's who put up the signs originally. We've asked the police if we shouldn't be calling the PD with these and they said it was the right place. I might try the Parking and Traffic folks next time though, since on their municipal web site, it does state that they handle parking enforcement.

SlayVus posted:

In that once instance, we probably could have had them towed, but it would have turned into a massive conflict in front of the place that I live, so I'd much prefer to not be directly involved in the solution. (See my first point)

e:

Thanatosian posted:

This! The towing company has a financial incentive to show up before they move.

Also, call up the parks department and see if there's anything anyone there can do to help.

How does that work with a towing company. I just call and tell them to come pick up this illegally parked car and they impound it? I imagine to owner of the car who is 30 feet away isn't going to let that happen.

The problem is only half with the park. The other problem is that we're the only residence on the street, neighboring a vacant lot and two social clubs. During the summer when everyone is having their festivities it's a nightmare to park on the street.

Last year they (the social club folks) accidentally lit a pickup on fire in the middle of the street trying to tow a parade float. The fire truck couldn't get to it for about 20 minutes because the street was lined on both sides with cars the whole way down, leaving only enough room for a small car to travel down the center of the road.

Dragyn fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 11, 2014

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Dragyn posted:

I like your enthusiasm, but in a city where you are 2.5x more likely to be the victim of a violent crime than the median in the US.. I'll pass.

They do, that's who put up the signs originally. We've asked the police if we shouldn't be calling the PD with these and they said it was the right place. I might try the Parking and Traffic folks next time though, since on their municipal web site, it does state that they handle parking enforcement.

In that once instance, we probably could have had them towed, but it would have turned into a massive conflict in front of the place that I live, so I'd much prefer to not be directly involved in the solution. (See my first point)

e:

How does that work with a towing company. I just call and tell them to come pick up this illegally parked car and they impound it? I imagine to owner of the car who is 30 feet away isn't going to let that happen.

If there is a official street sign that says no parking, then the tow truck can legally tow the car. If you let a towing company (especially if it is the one your city uses) know that between the hours of X and Y on these days there are a ton of illegally parked vehicles, then they will almost certainly start cruising by to try and profit off this situation.

Once a tow truck starts hooking up a car it doesn't really matter if the person is 30ft away. Those guys aren't really known for being friendly, understanding types and you don't have to get involved at all in the actual process, outside of the initial call.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Douche4Sale posted:

If there is a official street sign that says no parking, then the tow truck can legally tow the car. If you let a towing company (especially if it is the one your city uses) know that between the hours of X and Y on these days there are a ton of illegally parked vehicles, then they will almost certainly start cruising by to try and profit off this situation.

Once a tow truck starts hooking up a car it doesn't really matter if the person is 30ft away. Those guys aren't really known for being friendly, understanding types and you don't have to get involved at all in the actual process, outside of the initial call.

This sounds like a wonderful combination of covert and entertaining. I'll try to get the city to enforce it outside the PD first, but I have feeling I have end up doing this too, especially this summer. I should film the ensuing arguments/violent crimes.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

...now if I can get them to stop turning around in our gravel driveway and letting their dogs poo poo on our property. (I can't wait to leave this city)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dragyn posted:

That's exactly how it works. The towing company takes other peoples cars for a living. As long as the signs are clearly posted, they'll show up and take the car in a couple minutes. If the owner shows up then tough poo poo, come down and pay for the release. Once you make the call it's no longer your problem, it's between the driver and the city/towing company.

At the old apartment where I lived the tow companies would just cruise down the alley every few weeks and just take cars parked illegally, 10 at a time.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

FCKGW posted:

That's exactly how it works. The towing company takes other peoples cars for a living. As long as the signs are clearly posted, they'll show up and take the car in a couple minutes. If the owner shows up then tough poo poo, come down and pay for the release. Once you make the call it's no longer your problem, it's between the driver and the city/towing company.

At the old apartment where I lived the tow companies would just cruise down the alley every few weeks and just take cars parked illegally, 10 at a time.
Must be a huge tow truck! ;)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BoyBlunder posted:

You are amazing.

Maybe they meant evangelical Jews. That website is surprisingly hard to find.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

randyest posted:

Must be a huge tow truck! ;)

Huge tow company actually, they contract with a few cities. I've come home late before and they had 10 trucks lined up around the corner waiting to drive in and take cars.

They took my car the night before my wife and I drove to our wedding :(

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Is there a website that'll tell me what movies a particular song has been in? I'm having a really important internet argument with someone right now about The Power, which I'm pretty sure was on the soundtrack of every single movie released in the 90s.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Dragyn posted:

This sounds like a wonderful combination of covert and entertaining. I'll try to get the city to enforce it outside the PD first, but I have feeling I have end up doing this too, especially this summer. I should film the ensuing arguments/violent crimes.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

...now if I can get them to stop turning around in our gravel driveway and letting their dogs poo poo on our property. (I can't wait to leave this city)
Set up a webcam out your front window, we're always looking for new material in the schadenfreude thread.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
I have a wedding to go to in August on the other side of the US. What is the best time between now and then to buy airline tickets? Is there a website or something where I can set a mark to watch airfare so I can be alerted if prices drop to a specified level?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Eulogistics posted:

I have a wedding to go to in August on the other side of the US. What is the best time between now and then to buy airline tickets? Is there a website or something where I can set a mark to watch airfare so I can be alerted if prices drop to a specified level?

There's a thread on exactly this subject in Tourism & Travel.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mescal posted:

How to you get a ten-key to enter 1.00 by pressing one zero zero instead of just one? The manual doesn't mention it.

There should be a decimal setting somewhere. It will be labeled "F 3 2 0 A" or something similar. Set it to "A".

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

kedo posted:

Is there a website that'll tell me what movies a particular song has been in? I'm having a really important internet argument with someone right now about The Power, which I'm pretty sure was on the soundtrack of every single movie released in the 90s.

Closest I could find is http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1677200/ -- shows a list of songs that the writer of The Power has had featured in tv and film. Just browse the list for The Power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The top of my task manager window is gone, how do I get it back?

Windows Server 2008 R2

e: thanks!

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 12, 2014