Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nyarlathotep
May 29, 2003
I've been working my way through super sentai from zyu onwards, limiting myself to series that have been fully subbed (even if it's just the tvn subs, I'm used to awful subbing thanks to 90's anime).

But I have a question, is Gekiranger worth watching? If I skip it, am I missing out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nyarlathotep posted:

I've been working my way through super sentai from zyu onwards, limiting myself to series that have been fully subbed (even if it's just the tvn subs, I'm used to awful subbing thanks to 90's anime).

But I have a question, is Gekiranger worth watching? If I skip it, am I missing out?
What were your thoughts on Dairanger?

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

Nyarlathotep posted:

TVN subs aside, I liked Gekiranger because I'm a martial arts dork. I seem to be in the minority, though. :shrug:

Nyarlathotep
May 29, 2003

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

What were your thoughts on Dairanger?

Positive, I liked the focus on martial arts and that each character had a distinct style, plus the it had my favorite opening theme.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Gekiranger is pretty fun. Shame about only having TVN subs but the choreography and characters were great.

Nyarlathotep
May 29, 2003
I'm sold, not skipping Gekiranger now. I am giving up on jungle fury though, it's just so awful.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
What I really like about ToQGer so far is that they've been shooting scenes at lots of new locations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dr Tran posted:

What I really like about ToQGer so far is that they've been shooting scenes at lots of new locations.

Yeah, I'm sure we'll be right back to the old Sentai standbys of the warehouse and the like, but so far its felt really fresh.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
There ARE non-TVN subs for Gekiranger, though? Like some dude calling himself Geki-dan I think did them awhile back.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There ARE non-TVN subs for Gekiranger, though? Like some dude calling himself Geki-dan I think did them awhile back.

For reasons unknown to me, those subs are not to be spoken of and do not exist.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Didn't someone say those were just bad scrubs of the TVN subs?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
The GekiKnight/Hikari-Senshi release is, in fact, exactly that. GekiDan was one of the guys who ran JEFusion who died recently. I don't think he made any Gekiranger subs.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Twisty of Fate posted:

Dora the Explorer better then Blue Clues, please confirm?

False steve was pretty awesome.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Huh, over in TVIV most of them were saying Jungle Fury is a pretty okay series. I haven't seen it but I'm just surprised that people seem to have such wildly different opinions of it.

Ok it's not as bad as operation overdrive but I wouldn't say it's great or anything.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Dr Tran posted:

That's kind of the point of the train

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I still don't know how they're going to make it "practical", but I like how it seems whoever has a moment in the episode is going to be the focus of swapping trains. Right and Kagura last week, then Tokachi and Mio this week.

Really excited though that they hinted at The Shadow Line train turning into a mech eventually. At least that's how I took it. I also thought it was cool the Crow's got generic badguy mechs..

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I do like that they aren't just in Tokyo again... yet.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

AzraelNewtype posted:

For something less Power Rangery, flame the flames of hell with ZERO: Black Blood.

Knew what the image gag was going to be before I found a good shot to match it :v:.

I'm really enjoying the main plot for this. They keep trying to find new twists for Horrors, and this one just clicks with me. It makes me wonder if there are any Horrors that would strike a friendship with a human, as unlikely as it seems.

Also I was surprised when Fujita got a French line, and very good French at that. Then I felt dumb at finding out he was half-French. :doh:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Was that not enough GARO franchise for you? Fine. Got you covered. You may wish to have mind altering substances in your system for this one.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I, uh... I'm watching that right now. Is this what acid is like? Has anyone told Ray Fujita that facial hair is not really his thing?

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

AzraelNewtype posted:

Was that not enough GARO franchise for you? Fine. Got you covered. You may wish to have mind altering substances in your system for this one.

Oh, awesome. I watched this a few months back with the TV-N subs and thought they surprisingly were not that bad, so I can't wait to see how much stuff they got wrong that I never noticed :v:

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Why do you nerds love that Garo so much

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The choreography is amazing

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

jivjov posted:

The choreography is amazing

It looks so stupid and not fun at all

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Twisty of Fate posted:

You're pretty much right.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Twisty of Fate posted:

I get seriously bored with the CGI fights, they are just so long and ugly. The out of suit stuff is usually okay but after the first few episodes of season 1 they just seemed to do less and less of it from what I can remember (Having watched Season 1, the first batch of movies and the first half of season 2.)

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I finally finished Zyuranger. Its weird how Daizyujin did all the work. The very epitome of deus ex machina.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Dr Tran posted:

I finally finished Zyuranger. Its weird how Daizyujin did all the work. The very epitome of deus ex machina.

Literally God defeats Literally Satan.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Dr Tran posted:

How is that weird

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

I'm baffled to no end how Saban just gives no poo poo and Flashman, Maskman etc are in the show

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, of all the solutions to the Gokaiger problem Saban faced, I don't think anybody expected them to just go "gently caress IT, LEAVE 'EM IN!"

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Twisty of Fate posted:

I'm baffled to no end how Saban just gives no poo poo and Flashman, Maskman etc are in the show

Whoa whoa whoa I think you mean "Legendary Rangers Boot and Blitz" thank you very much. :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Are you serious or is this a joke? I don't know anymore.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The weird thing is, they leave in some Sentai and completely add in custom Goseiger/Gokaiger footage to replace other Sentai. It's like they don't give a gently caress but then really give a gently caress. It's really confusing.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Are you serious or is this a joke? I don't know anymore.

They didn't even give the Flashman or Maskman powers new names. They just exist and we accept it now. Not even "These are rangers off from the Vica Galaxy." Just "BRING ON THE NEW POWERS!!" What's even stranger is they cut several usable changes. They had a Dynaman change they nixed, Green turning into Green Rhino from Liveman and Midoranger from Goranger got the axe. It seems so arbitrary what they'll cut out or what they'll leave in.

Edit: Basically it's this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Q1dqlsFVY

Scratchman Apoo fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 18, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Toot toot. All aboard ToQger Episode 5!!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

You know, I'm pretty accepting of the fact that I'm watching a childrens toy commercial, but they could have done SOMETHING with those cars to make them a bit less...obviously toys.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Rei_ posted:

You know, I'm pretty accepting of the fact that I'm watching a childrens toy commercial, but they could have done SOMETHING with those cars to make them a bit less...obviously toys.

Eh, could be worse.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Rei_ posted:

They looked like board game pieces

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I kinda think they're supposed to look like wacky toy cars. Because IMAGINATION [/dollyzoom]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Endgame prediction: Schwartz stages a coup to dispose of the Emperor, kills Greta in the process and gives zero shits.

• Locked thread